Wounded - b.Smith :: Review

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
My Intro: Second, there's been a bit of controversy surrounding this one due to methods or the effect itself. So I decided to post a review, and can see myself performing this awesome effect. If you ever wanted to bleed from your palms or cry tears of blood, than you may enjoy Wounded. In this trick, the palms of your hands appear to bleed in front of your audiences. The DVD teaches three bleeding palm effects and the DVD explains Smith's method for crying tears of blood, as well as a way to stop your pulse.

The Review​

Trick: Wounded

Created By: Robert Smith

History/Story: Bob talks about how he put a lot of hard work and effort into this effect. And how he came up with and discovered for the perfect way to present “stigmata”, and hopes this inspires you to come up with your own ideas.

Effect: Stigmata is defined as marks resembling the wounds on the crucified body of Christ. Throughout history, accounts of this phenomenon have changed lives and inspired generations of people across the world, many times over.
Robert Smith has taken this powerful historical phenomenon and evolved it into a reality that your audience can witness themselves. Your audience will actually see the wounds appearing on your open clean palm!
Wounded is more than just a magic trick to impress or freak out your friends. It is like a bizarre dream coming to life right before your spectators own eyes.
With Wounded you will learn 3 bleeding palm effects. You will also learn 2 bonus effects: the Tears of Blood and Smith's handling of the classic pulse stop effect. In addition to this, you will also receive the original eBook containing 3 more original methods and 2 additional effects! That's a total of 10 WAYS TO PERFORM one of the most powerful effects ever! You can also purchase the performance kit which allows you to immediately go out and perform these miracles.

Notes: Very Easy to do, no difficult moves or sleights involved
Extremely Visual
Detailed explanation and performances
Gimmicks included
Angle proof
Performers hands can be shown empty, there is nothing to hide
Limitless possibilities for different types of effects

Cost: $34.95 (DVD)/ $34.95 (Performance Kit)

Genre: Geek Magic

Demo/Product: http://papercranemagic.com/wounded.html

Format: Approx. 45 minutes /DVD

Video and Quality:

Video- The video is split into sections (explained later). The video is also very well edited, put together, and produced. It covers everything really in-depth.

Quality- The quality of this video is pretty good. There were definitely no problems hearing or seeing what was being said or done. The audio is good; everything is clear and easy to watch.

Layout:

Introductions- It starts out about the history of this effect; Bob talks about how he put a lot of hard work and effort into this effect. And how he came up with and discovered for the perfect way to present “stigmata”, and hopes this inspires you to come up with your own ideas.

Performances- What you basically see in the Demo. Performance clip of Stigmata L, Tears of Blood and the Pulse Stop. And brief footage of Stigmata R, general clips and reactions.

Stigmata L- The item is not included in the package and can be purchased at any pharmacy store. This method does require your own blood, but it’s not as bad as it sounds (the pain hurts no more than being slightly cut, such as a paper-cut). It's highly recommended you do the setup correctly and with care. Once setup, you'll need to start performing relatively soon after and the item takes up small pocket space. You show your hands cleanly and inspection will not reveal the set-up. You roll your sleeves up, put your hand it the air (like a waiter), and have the spectator put his/her hand around your arm so you can’t do anything sneaky/tricky. With small misdirection, you bring down your hand and show your palms openly where they see blood from your palms and soon after your other palm is shown to be bleeding. The movements and patter are is very logical and flow together.

Stigmata P- Everything in the package is supplied for you to perform this effect and you’ll need sleeves. You can set this up earlier in the day and can probably be able to perform for later performances. Hold your hand out, palm up. Your other hand is in your pocket. Your palm is shown clean, and then slowly turns red, and then blood just appears. This is very cool, easy and direct, and probably the best convincer. Like all, this needs a good performance to back it up.

Stigmata R- Nothing is supplied here, but the items are very common and inexpensive to find/buy. You can set this up early, but must be careful if wanting to perform later in a performance. Hold your hand out, palm up. You don't do anything, and yet, a wound simply rips open on your hand. By itself, it's not that impressive, but Smith gives a simple way to combine it with either Stigmata.

Tears of Blood- The items are included to perform Tears of Blood or the gimmick can be bought online. You can get a few tears with blood, but timing must be perfect. The performer tells the spectator to “Believe” and the performer’s eyes are shown to be crying tears of blood. Bob likes to combine this with the Pulse Stop, but with the right presentation you can combine this with either stigmata taught. Set-Up can be done privately and you must cry, which is easier than it sounds. There are no worries here about being caught or not able to perform, this one has no sleights and is just reading to perform anytime you are.

Pulse Stop-The pulse stop is the classic pulse stop with a way to get ready right in front of the audience to perform.

Closing Thoughts- Here he describes a way to perform Stigmata L without the pain. Some extra performance tips to perform stigmata. Some additional extras if you have a problem with the gimmicks. Also, mentioned is how heavy this trick plays and must be performed for the right audience.

Special Features: Here are other effects included in the DVD you can do with Stigmata:

Stigmata L2- Described here is a way to perform Stigmata L with your hands together in a praying position and upon opening your hands there is blood in the middle of the palms.

Stigmata F- Show your open clean right hand, and turn it over to show the back clean as well. Slowly turn your hand over and the scar/wound has vanished.

Stigmata X- He mentions a gimmick to make this effect cooler, but will not reveal for unknown reasons

Other effects than Stigmata-Zero Inch Stab- The performer is stabbed by the spectator with an imaginary blade causing the performer to inexplicably bleed where they were "stabbed".

Voodoo Stab- This time a drawing of the performers hand is stabbed causing him to bleed in that very spot

Performances: Explained Above

Teaching: The teaching is phenomenal. Everything is broken into steps and categories for the easiest possible learning experience, and no problems or questions when the video was over. Bob’s fingers are covered in blood residue the whole time because of the tricks, even before he gets started with the teaching. Bob goes over everything you need to know to be able to perform this and to make it look good with the right presentation and audience. Bob, as always, teaches everything with crystal clarity and leaves no stone unturned and takes his time into how do accomplish the effect. His clever method for combining classics with out of the ordinary new visual add-ons should be highly praised.

Method: The method(s) were really well thought out and researched. Bob teaches clever methods that range from fairly conventional to outright outlandish. Bob is a very creative and amazing guy with great and clever thinking.

Gimmick/Items Needed and Impromptu:

Gimmicks- Most of the gimmicks can be found/bought; online, at most pharmacies, electrical, pet and costume stores. The Performance Kit will not give you everything to perform right away, but you can perform most of the effects taught. You will have to buy one of the things after a while depending on how much you do this effect. The stuff not included in the package is not hard to find and very common. Also, the gimmick does most of the work while you present.

Impromptu- This effect is not impromptu, but a few such as Stigmata L feel impromptu because of its ease and nature, and Tears of Blood, because it’s very close to impromptu and probably the easiest to perform once set-up.

Set-Up: The set-up time depends on which version you’re performing. Some must be performed relatively soon and some can set-up earlier and be performed later on.

Dirtiness and Clean-Up:

Dirtiness- You do not end dirty in this effect, besides the blood presented in this effect.

Clean-Up- There is no clean-up as well like “dirtiness”.

Reset: Reset again depends on what method/version you’re performing, some can be done alone and privately or some can be done during a mid-performance, if you can get your hands out of sight.

Angles: This is angle proof (angles are not a problem here) and can be easily managed if you feel uncomfortable.

Difficulty: On a scale of 1-10 (Ten being the hardest), I say it’s about a 5. Timing is a little issue and how you present this (showmanship) and how to pick your audiences, but other than that it’s fairly easy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
Overall: None of the effects are difficult to learn and perform. This effect is a little dark, but it doesn’t have to be depending on the right presentation. I will most likely put this into my routines and have gotten some amazing reactions so far. More important, the material here is not for everyone and in all honestly this effect is amazing and can be adapted into your magic presentation. Also, with the many versions and methods, there’s something for everybody in this DVD. Showmanship can make this effect to the best advantage and can make the spectator(s) believe and be convinced. Because of the effects, themes and methods this is not everyone’s “cup of tea”. I valued the work put into this effect, and recommend you try this.

Score: 9/10

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
you said that the gimmick is included.

Could I go and buy the gimmicks for myself and make them? Or is it one of those things that you HAVE to buy the gimmick from them?

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
you said that the gimmick is included.

Could I go and buy the gimmicks for myself and make them? Or is it one of those things that you HAVE to buy the gimmick from them?

Hi- You could easily purchase the required gimmicks from your nearby stores.
The gimmicks are very easy to find, depending at what store you purchase them from.

Aug 27, 2008
Tijuana bC
is there another way to doing this without the cutting? can I still get blood on my palms without the actual self infliction? and for the crying tears you need to cry during the actual performance?

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
is there another way to doing this without the cutting? can I still get blood on my palms without the actual self infliction? and for the crying tears you need to cry during the actual performance?

Only Stigmata L uses your real blood.
For Tears of Blood, yes you need to make yourself cry or 'force' yourself to cry.

v awesome review.

I used crying blood in conjunction with thread, it disturbed to many people. I am a crazy dude around halloween but it was to much. Ohh and do not forget that you have the gimmick on, funny story y'll.

I was at a funeral and I forgot I had the gimmick to cry blood on, Fill in the blanks.

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
v awesome review.

I used crying blood in conjunction with thread, it disturbed to many people. I am a crazy dude around halloween but it was to much. Ohh and do not forget that you have the gimmick on, funny story y'll.

I was at a funeral and I forgot I had the gimmick to cry blood on, Fill in the blanks.

Yeah funny story.
What I like about the Tears of Blood also is that you can be set and perform it at any time.
Probably my favorite Stigmata taught.

Sep 1, 2007
Or better yet....why not?

Answer my question first and maybe I'll take you seriously.

Because it adds to the effect. Thread is already "Gross" to the spectator so why not make it "Grosser".

Where do you draw the line? And how do you know the audience wants that? What's to stop me from just one-upping you by creating an illusion in which I appear to subject myself to a Sioux Indian sun dance? Google it if you don't know what that involves.

This is what pisses me off about these effects. They can be good but more often they're being practiced by a bunch of wannabe magicians who default to shock-jocking in lieu of anything remotely interesting or tasteful.

Any moron with a camera can make a third-rate slasher flick. Making a film like Susperia, Dawn of the Dead, Alien, The Exorcist, or Audition is another matter entirely.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Answer my question first and maybe I'll take you seriously.

Where do you draw the line? And how do you know the audience wants that? What's to stop me from just one-upping you by creating an illusion in which I appear to subject myself to a Sioux Indian sun dance? Google it if you don't know what that involves.

This is what pisses me off about these effects. They can be good but more often they're being practiced by a bunch of wannabe magicians who default to shock-jocking in lieu of anything remotely interesting or tasteful.

Any moron with a camera can make a third-rate slasher flick. Making a film like Susperia, Dawn of the Dead, Alien, The Exorcist, or Audition is another matter entirely.

I loved Audition.
Been 2 years since ive seen it though.

Mixing thread with tears of blood is just too much. Do you want them to puke in front of you?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
Yeah, I agree.
Putting these together is a nice idea, but isn't that a little overkill?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results