XCM or Flourishing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is one of those opinion posts.

Which do you like better, XCM or Flourishing?

In this case flourishing is fast, mainly 2 handed cuts.
XCM- is slower moves concentrating on displays, more 1 hand cuts, fans and spreads.

I watched a live performance of Max Vlassenko earlier and he was doing an XCM routine. I felt it got kinda repetitive after about 3 armspreads in a row. So I would have to say I prefer Flourishing, only very slightly though. I really love to see a combination of the two. 2 people who do this very well are Abe (Cerberus) and Andrei Jikh.

Also, what is your style?

I would have to say mine is alot of 2 handed cuts, lots of flipback work, a few displays (Viereck and Cobra Cut- both I have been working on and can do, just not consistently yet. I also LOVE Furious Angels), and a little bit of fans.

So I'm a combination of both.

Sep 20, 2008
Thought they were the same thing.

Why do people have to label things? For instance, i believe street magic is just close up magic and XCM is basically Cardistry or Flourishing.

Course i may be wrong and there may be a minor difference to both, but who cares.. Really?

Sep 20, 2008
So isnt a 'street magician' just a close up magician performing out on the streets?

What if a 'Street magician' was to be hired to work in a restaurant or a close up environment? (Wedding perhaps?) Does that still give him the title of 'Street magician?' Does he have to alter all his tricks to suit his title?

Sep 1, 2007
I watched a live performance of Max Vlassenko earlier and he was doing an XCM routine. I felt it got kinda repetitive after about 3 armspreads in a row.

On the flip side of the coin, I tend to lose interest in two-handed cuts within the first three seconds. The routine usually does little to pull me back in.

Both forms suffer from supreme pomposity and a complete lack of connection with the audience. So I say of both flourishing and XCM, **** 'em.

Why do people have to label things? For instance, i believe street magic is just close up magic and XCM is basically Cardistry or Flourishing.

Course i may be wrong and there may be a minor difference to both, but who cares.. Really?

Why does there have to be a difference between death metal and black metal? Why is there a difference between horror Gothic, terror Gothic, and Neo Gothic?

The distinctions between genres matter only as much as you give a damn.

So isnt a 'street magician' just a close up magician performing out on the streets?

I've known a couple buskers who would smack you for that.

Keep in mind what traditional street magic is and what most people here think it is are two entirely different things. Street magic is actually a variety of parlor magic, not close-up magic.

Sep 15, 2007
www.myspace.com

What if a 'Street magician' was to be hired to work in a restaurant or a close up environment? (Wedding perhaps?) Does that still give him the title of 'Street magician?' Does he have to alter all his tricks to suit his title?

If he is EXPECTED, That means close-up magician. So yes, in the setting of working for someone, he is now a close-up magician while keeping his same street effects and what not. :)

Sep 20, 2008
Keep in mind what traditional street magic is and what most people here think it is are two entirely different things. Street magic is actually a variety of parlor magic, not close-up magic.

You keep forgetting that almost everyone (pracitcally everyone in this forum) is below you in terms of magic 'Prowess'. Surely you have other things to do that big up your Ego in an internet forum. none of my business- And thank you for enlightening me. Never knew that.

Why does there have to be a difference between death metal and black metal? Why is there a difference between horror Gothic, terror Gothic, and Neo Gothic?

Which was exactly my point. Think were on the same boat here for once.

Sep 1, 2007
Which was exactly my point. Think were on the same boat here for once.

No we're not.

I'm a metalhead. I even compose my own music. I know the difference between death metal and black metal because I care enough to want to know how its made. I extend the same to other sub-genres of metal such as power, doom, folk, Viking, thrash, speed, etc.

As an example, the most immediate difference you would hear between death and black metal is that death metal has much more prominent bass lines while black metal mixes the bass much lower and turns up the mids dramatically. While that might not sound like much to the outsider looking in, it makes a huge difference.

I love horror fiction. Thus I took the time to learn more about it. There are differences between horror Gothic, terror Gothic, and Neo Gothic. They're differentiated by stylistic conventions that form the foundation of the genre.

All horror stories might sound the same to you, but I've devoted so much time to studying it that I can detect all the differences and nuances and thus I need a more sophisticated and comprehensive cataloging system to keep things organized.

To dismiss all of this with, "Why do we have to have all these labels?" bespeaks a great deal of intellectual laziness.

Sep 20, 2008
You really think so? I personally think it just overcomplicate things. Im pretty sure you're mature enough to know the meaning behind it- and dont act naive. we both know you're clever.

I understand what you are saying, Ballet, Ballroom, Breakdancing (Bboying is the correct term) and street dancing all qualify under the 'Dance' category.

Using your analogy, they would all come under the 'metal' category- or even so, just the 'music' category.

I know the difference between death metal and black metal because I care enough to want to know how its made.

I respect that- But not everyone has the same passion over things as you- and its pretty rude for you to consistently try and demoralize members in certain aspects regardless of the topic.

Ah well. You've probably built up a pretty good counter argument by now. Some sort of patronising remark, something ive said or a gramatical error.

The usual eh?

Sep 1, 2007
I respect that- But not everyone has the same passion over things as you- and its pretty rude for you to consistently try and demoralize members in certain aspects regardless of the topic.

Spare me. The whole point is that these labels exist for people who actually care. Telling us to throw out the genre system because you think it's too complicated is foolish and selfish.

It's like taxonomy. I'm sure you don't give a flying **** what the scientific name for a timber wolf or a sea otter or a reticulated giraffe is. But do you really think a biologist is going to be happy just labeling them all mammals and calling it a day?

Ah well. You've probably built up a pretty good counter argument by now. Some sort of patronising remark, something ive said or a gramatical error.

The usual eh?

Oh, quit your crying.

Sep 20, 2008
Never knew that word till i looked it up. Nice to know that i touched a nerve. Bout time.

Sep 1, 2007
It took you that long to figure out that I find laziness and deliberate ignorance/stupidity offensive? Jesus, the rest of the boards figured that out months ago.

Sep 1, 2007
It's getting dangerously close enough to priapism as it is without you grabbing for it.

Jesus, dude. My whole point was that genres exist for a reason. But all you did was cry like a spoiled brat that it was too complicated and we should dumb it down to cater to you.

May 3, 2008
Singapore
www.youtube.com
steerpike,you should stop looking for arguements in the flourishing section. it isnt your area of expertise. Here, youre the guy thats speaking about stuff above his understanding.

Sure, you make a good point about genres. But your example of mammals barely has a legit point. Animals cant be compared to styles.

Labels for the genres have created a giant riff between communities. I fail to see why you support the labelling. Richard, and in fact many of us have been trying actively to break down these barriers, and accept that everyone has a different style and that neither style is wrong or crap.

Please, just stick to instigating in the magic section. I respect you so much more over there.

Sinful07, shut up. your flourishing can just barely pass off as mediocre. Dont try and speak out against things you have little understanding of.

regards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 15, 2007
www.myspace.com
Every time I read something from Steerpike I always learn something new. Usually it is a word I have never heard before lol. I would truly hate for you guys to piss him off and drive him away. Just like Baller and Morgican. Seriously, enough.

Mar 2, 2008
I think XCM has more of a varitery when it comes to flip-backs one-handed cuts ect ect when alot of florishing is alot of variations of symboling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results