Going to a School Dance

Jan 1, 2008
Ok so at my school every year there is winter ball and every one is saying that i should ask someone in a magic trick. Im thinking that i do Jay sankeys snowstorm, sept its gonna say "winter ball???" I dont wanna do the cheesy rose thing i wanna do something simple. IDEAS???

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
couple suggestions,

first, do a magic routine, at the very end, start as if you are doing a mentalism effect. whoever the "target" is, hold her hand as if you are trying to divine her thoughts, than instead of ending the trick just ask her to go

second, fluffer deck. i love the fluffer deck, do a trick, find her card, with the fluffer reveal, then turn it over and have the question the other way

three, if you wanna go dramatic, spell out the question in lighter fluid on pavement or grass, use a big piece of flash paper, light it, throw it onto the letters and watch the question appear in flames.

KatieKenner

that girl who posts videos sometimes / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
www.myspace.com
Well...

When I was in High School.. like last year....

We would have kind of an unofficial contest for the most creative way for asking your date to school dances and the same for accepting.

For example:

Winter Formal: One year one of my friends had to ask her date in a "Sadie Hawkins" type rule. So she gathered up all these weird photos of her and places she's been, glued them on a very nice poster. She then decorated a tree with strange household objects outside his window topping it off with the poster. Her tag line was "Even though I may be abnormal, will you go with me to Formal?"

His Response: He waited like a week after... which made her sweat a little. Then she came home from school to find all these pictures of people around school (teachers, parents, jocks, nerds, etc...) in a "bow" position scattered through out her house, the trail led to the upstairs and there was a big balloon bouquet, a tiara and a note that said. "I worship the ground you walk on, and I'll will gladly go to formal with the queen of abnormal"

I've got a hundred of these stories. This just happens to be my favorite (that I can remember off the top of my head).

SO.. I think there is nothing wrong with a magic trick to ask someone to a dance. However, I also think that you should go BIG on the cheese factor or don't do it.

GO BIG or GO HOME.

And those are my thoughts. Good Luck and HAVE FUN!

Love,

Katie

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
I agree with Danny man...
Im not saying that its a big no no to ask in the form of a trick, but if you deliver it wrong or do the a trick which is unsuitable... then holy crap, you are dead.
I have a couple of suggestions.
1. Try to stay away from card tricks. They seem to be "cheesy" to me for an occasion such as this. Nothing in the actual close up category acutally. No classic card tricks or coin tricks with a tiny twist.
2. Make it nice and big. Make it a trick with a great ending rather than just a "oh... thats cool...". we want a "WOAH!!! DAMN!!!!" If you really want an ending with a small object or what ever, make it sweet. Produce a rose head, a piece of carved ice, what ever, be creative. The lighter fluid thing from jrobarts was pretty good, but i would find it kinda farfetched.
3. Dont present it casually. If youre gonna be like "yo! heres a trick! Look at this! WOAH! HAH!". make it more like *sitting beside her or wtvr* "hey... wanna see something interesting? k. *formal stuff blah blah blah* *ending* will you go to the ball with me?"

Yea... so yea.... basically it.....
and i find a rose trick way better than snow storm. By rose thing.... Im not sure which you mean, but I like the one by Eun Gyeo Lee. Not sure if thats how u spell it. But basically its a rose production from a blank deck. Its pretty cool. Although the creator's patter and what not is rather lame, a little change can make it totally sweet.

Jan 1, 2008
so based on what you guys have been saying ive come up with what i think might work.

pull out a deck of cards and show the jokers and shuffle them into the deck, do a revelation of one of them being in your pocket, place the joker in her hand and slam the rest of the deck against the joker making it vanish leaving two jokers and about 6 or 7 red rose pedals. However i"m not sure what i would say when i'm done, i dont just want to be like "so......anyways wanna go to ball." yknow?

i'm still working on the method, i know how to make the deck vanish but im not sure how i would conceal the pedals...help?

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
so based on what you guys have been saying ive come up with what i think might work.

pull out a deck of cards and show the jokers and shuffle them into the deck, do a revelation of one of them being in your pocket, place the joker in her hand and slam the rest of the deck against the joker making it vanish leaving two jokers and about 6 or 7 red rose pedals. However i"m not sure what i would say when i'm done, i dont just want to be like "so......anyways wanna go to ball." yknow?

i'm still working on the method, i know how to make the deck vanish but im not sure how i would conceal the pedals...help?

thats not bad....
but do u hafta stick with cards?
and i dont think slamming a girls hand is the best way.
and what you did was put a twist into an old trick. A basic joker revelation but with petals thrown in. I dont really like that... sry
but yea....
anything will work. Just make it different.
Do you want people to say "oh. he asked me. He did a card trick thing and there were rose petals then he asked me." or "oh. he asked me. he made a rose appear. He ripped off one of the petals and it became a card asking me to go to the ball." Now that aint that hard of an effect but you can see what im getting at.

Just try to expand.

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
...like last year....
Lol

Maybe think about something intimate that you have to break the touch barrier - even if it's just to move her hand over slightly...

If I was in your position, I'd do a spectator's hand coin bend and finish on a very cheesy "look what we can do together" kinda line - More elaborately put though, naturally!

Or alternatively, create a huge to do about it and have everyone go all "high school musical" That'd be AWESOME. And we would all like to see the tape in the media section!

So to finish, Some lyrics from said musical to help you along...

Troy "Right now I can haaaardly breathe"
Gabriel (is that the girl's name?) "OOOOohhh you can do it just know that I believe!"

Respec.

D.

Sep 20, 2008
Hermes is always nice to perform. i think its by David stone.

(the Rose production)

or was it called Zamiel's Rose?

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
Hermes is always nice to perform. i think its by David stone.

(the Rose production)

or was it called Zamiel's Rose?

Zamiel's rose is a beautifull effect by Derren Brown, found in Devil's Picturebook, but I would not reccomend it to be done stand up and up close at a raving party ;)

Gustav

Sean.Cinco

Elite Member
Sep 2, 2007
Orlando, FL
www.seancinco.com
Well...

When I was in High School.. like last year....

Damn...took you that long, Katie? :rolleyes:

Anyway, there was one time I was hanging out with one of my magic friends. He told me of an idea that I thought was extremely stupid. However I totally ate my words because it worked. He did a magic set for a girl and then he said "I'm going to read your mind." He wrote down a prediction and asked her to think of a number. He gave her the paper and said "This is the number you're thinking of." She unfolds the paper and it's his phone number. When she called, I couldn't believe that it actually worked. With that said, instead of a number, you could be like "think of a question" and have that written down on a piece of paper if you choose to go that route. Regardless of how you do it, good luck and have fun!

...I miss high school dances...

Jan 1, 2008
here's another idea i had. pull out a deck of cards, riffle and rose pedals go flying everywhere, then do a hotshot cut producing a card that has written on it "winter ball?"

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
I think that that trick would confuse the hell out of her.
Rose pedals flying out of a deck of cards will throw her off-guard and she probably won't realize that your cutting the cards or doing anything else with them for that matter because she'll be looking at the ground for the rose pedals.

I like the way your thinking, but I think you have to have some connection with the rose pedals for the magic effect otherwise there's no point. It would be just an attention getter, and the attention won't even be towards yourself but rather on the pedals flying everywhere and on the ground.

Here's a trick that might work for you:
Force a card, one that doesn't have a lot of ink on it.
Lose it in the pack.

Then take out (produce) a rose and tear a couple pedals off of it and putting them into 1 hand open.
Cover the pedals up with both hands and shake the pedals (as if your about to roll dice in a game of monopoly). Slowly open your hand revealing her selected card among the pedals with the question, "Winter Ball with me?" on it.

pm if you have any questions.

Take care -
-DannyT

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
OR you could stand on a table in lunch, make sure she knows the trick is for her, then Have and EXPLOSION of rose pedals that cover you so no one can see you, then do one of those instant clothes changes but instead when all the pedals fall, all you will be wearing is a speedo, and have a staind skin tatoo across your belly that says "winter ball??"

hahaha

Jan 1, 2008
well my hands arent big enough to do that danny. plus i tried the riffle thing and it didnt work so i came up with something else. riffle down the pack and ask her to call stop....ask her to hold out her hand take the card she stopped at and gently tap it against her hand producing rose pedals and a card that says "winter ball with me?"

Nov 18, 2008
CA
OR you could stand on a table in lunch, make sure she knows the trick is for her, then Have and EXPLOSION of rose pedals that cover you so no one can see you, then do one of those instant clothes changes but instead when all the pedals fall, all you will be wearing is a speedo, and have a staind skin tatoo across your belly that says "winter ball??"

Genius. I might use this....

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Too bad BrianationX is not on the forum anymore...

He would told you to start off with "Showoff 2", then go directly into the "Hypnotic", and finish with "Heckler".... lol

But, who knows... she may like it... :)

All jokes aside, Dannys last idea is brilliant...

Danny, can you pm me with the details? I have big hands, so no worries...
The idea with the prediction and the phone number is also a great one, but the question version off course.

Zamiel's Rose is a great trick for that occasion, with a little change of patter...

Peace

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results