Question that is troubling me...

Hello everyone,

I am again looking for insight into a problem I am having. I ahve been doing MAGIC for about a year now and for the longest time I have wanted to get into flourishing. I always stop myself though because I feel that focusing on learning flourishes will negatively affect my magic... I just recentl picked up BFU and Impossible Card Magic (I say that on like, all of my threads... lol. sorry) so I will be busy practicing but I still would like to start flourishing. I already have all three Trilogy disks and Devo's Cobra Cut (impulse buy 15$) so I am set on material, not to mention all the good tutorials online and just creating your own stuff.

So I guess what I am asking is, should I combine both? I want to but I also don't want to lose any of my magic "skills".

And, how do you combine both effectively? Effectively being that neither suffers and that you devote sufficent time to both arts/styles.

Please help!!

Thanks for reading and/or responding,

Dan

Sep 15, 2007
www.myspace.com
For the love of GOD don't start mixing flourishing in magic! You will ruin yourself! If you are doing an effect and start doing Akira and sybil in the middle of it, the audience will think "Oh, he is just good with his hands.. He is just a trickster."

May 3, 2008
Flourishing is really fun and I don't think it takes away from you magic skill. I wouldn't, however, mix big flashy flourishes into your tricks.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Hello everyone,

I am again looking for insight into a problem I am having. I ahve been doing MAGIC for about a year now and for the longest time I have wanted to get into flourishing. I always stop myself though because I feel that focusing on learning flourishes will negatively affect my magic... I just recentl picked up BFU and Impossible Card Magic (I say that on like, all of my threads... lol. sorry) so I will be busy practicing but I still would like to start flourishing. I already have all three Trilogy disks and Devo's Cobra Cut (impulse buy 15$) so I am set on material, not to mention all the good tutorials online and just creating your own stuff.

So I guess what I am asking is, should I combine both? I want to but I also don't want to lose any of my magic "skills".

And, how do you combine both effectively? Effectively being that neither suffers and that you devote sufficent time to both arts/styles.

Please help!!

Thanks for reading and/or responding,

Dan

Be careful, I mean, give everything it's necessary time, If you try to cover too much, you will certainly will know a lot of sleights and flourishes, but most of them will not be on a decent level.

Take your time and adjust priorities, feel like you need to be a better performer? take your time and practice your routines, sleights and patter, feel like you need to praactice something hard? flourishes also need their respective time man.

Give everything its time =).

Sep 3, 2007
A simple way to do both is I do a routine called Amateur vs. Professional by Jay Sankey but present it based on styles of performing card tricks.

It shows too ways to do the same trick one with all the flash and flourishes with the sharp contrast of a completely minimalist handling.

You get to show off a little, but it keeps its magic.

Plus you can judge the audience, if they like the flourishes you can go on a little bit more.

"Oh, he is just good with his hands.. He is just a trickster."

We live in the 21 century man, people dont belive we have super powers!!!!

Of course it is a trick!!!

But if you are skilful enough to do something incredible with it, it is not even more impressive?

Dont insult the inteligence of your audience, they are not kids.

Flourish makes you look cool!!!!
kinda like a real life GAMBIT you know what I mean?

I realy hope you read that.

(sorry for the bad inglish I'm brazilian)

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert

But if you are skilful enough to do something incredible with it, it is not even more impressive?

I realy hope you read.

Worst answer. Ever. Sorry to be harsh.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Why do you think that?

We are not insulting people intelligence, If we come like"hey wanna see something? I am magical" that would be dumb, instead, we as performers we focus on routines, patter and things that make our "magic"believable, either a story or something that connects with the audience, most of the time they dont need us to tell them that it its magic to believe it.

It's sad, it looks like you see magic as a mere activity to amase friends, well I dont think this forums will serve you any good.

Sep 15, 2007
www.myspace.com

I realy hope you read that.

Okay Do a key card performance and mix your "flourishing" into it! And I guarantee my reaction will be better. Set a date! We will make it a battle.

It's not insulting, it's trying to give them that feeling they had when they saw magic for the first time when they were young. Flourishing shows skill, not magic.

Magic is placing a card in the middle of the deck and making it come to the top with no logical explanation. In this case, magic is the absence of motion.

"I've lost your card in the middle of the deck, but if I snap my fingers, it will follow the sound to the top. If I place it in the middle again, this time i'll snap under the deck, and look, once again it followed the sound to the bottom."

VS

"If I place your card in the middle of the deck, and give it a few cuts, it comes to the top."

The second way can simply be explained by logic: "Well he just cut the card to the top.". The first way, you leave them with no explanation. That's what you want, that moment of amazement where they go: "How the hell is that possible?". No, that moment may not always last that long, but you're not fighting for the length of the amazement, you're simply fighting to give someone that tiny little moment. Flourishing takes away from the magic by giving it a logical appeal when it shouldn't have one. Again, (Among many other things.) magic is the absence of motion.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
It's not insulting, it's trying to give them that feeling they had when they saw magic for the first time when they were young. Flourishing shows skill, not magic.

Magic is placing a card in the middle of the deck and making it come to the top with no logical explanation. In this case, magic is the absence of motion.

"I've lost your card in the middle of the deck, but if I snap my fingers, it will follow the sound to the top. If I place it in the middle again, this time i'll snap under the deck, and look, once again it followed the sound to the bottom."

VS

"If I place your card in the middle of the deck, and give it a few cuts, it comes to the top."

The second way can simply be explained by logic: "Well he just cut the card to the top.". The first way, you leave them with no explanation. That's what you want, that moment of amazement where they go: "How the hell is that possible?". No, that moment may not always last that long, but you're not fighting for the length of the amazement, you're simply fighting to give someone that tiny little moment. Flourishing takes away from the magic by giving it a logical appeal when it shouldn't have one. Again, (Among many other things.) magic is the absence of motion.

Thanks for that, couldnt have explained it better =).

Yeah i see your point.
Actualy i think i have missunderstood Z-Magic.

Sorry Z.

I think it is up to your style.
I like the idea of make the person doubt reality, is great i do not take this out of the picture.

Acutualy most of the time i dont guive any explanation at all, and let they doubt.
Or sometimes if i do a force i let then know in the end that it was not a free choice but i make then think i influence then psycologicaly (of couse i dont explain the mechanics of the trick) but sometimes i give a explanation maybe close to mentalism, it continues to be trickery, like if i could play whit their minds.

Anyway i think I was a litlle harsh too, sorry folks. ^^

But yeah lets battle some day it will be fun :D

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Yeah i see your point.
Actualy i think i have missunderstood Z-Magic.

Sorry Z.

I think it is up to your style.
I like the idea of make the person doubt reality, is great i do not take this out of the picture.

Acutualy most of the time i dont guive any explanation at all, and let they doubt.
Or sometimes if i do a force i let then know in the end that it was not a free choice but i make then think i influence then psycologicaly (of couse i dont explain the mechanics of the trick) but sometimes i give a explanation maybe close to mentalism, it continues to be trickery, like if i could play whit their minds.

Anyway i think I was a litlle harsh too, sorry folks. ^^

But yeah lets battle some day it will be fun :D

In fact you were not harsh at all,haha, about the force thing, looks cool and that's what I am talking about, of course, it depends on the trick, there are certain tricks were you do not want the expectator to know that you forced a card on them;).

I agree with you.
But sometimes one can complement the other, when i do a trick that uses the four aces i start with a flourish to take then out of the deck (like the four sybil from Daniel Madison) i use as a card revelation too, and works for me.
But the flourish has to have a intention.
You cant overdoit.
it is something that inprove MY presentation. :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results