DO IT AGAIN! *leans closer*

Sep 1, 2007
After a quick trick, or something extremely stunning to the audience, or my spectator, I get this response most of the time (as well many of you do also), "Good Golly! DO IT AGAIN!!!" then they lean in closer and stare at the cards like they're gunna run away this time or something.

Anyone have or use a good response to this. I don't like to show the same trick or move twice, just for my sake,

Thanks for the suggestions and help!

Sep 1, 2007
I read every single post in there before I posted this :D

Thanks though. Just wanna see if anyone has some unique answers for this annoying reaction haha.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
The best way to avoid this is to actually slow the whole procedure down. By taking more time the audience gets to appreciate what you are doing and they don't feel cheated. More often than not when the audience asks for you to repeat something it is because of one of two reasons. The first is that they feel like they have missed something and they want to try and see what they missed. The other reason is that they were down right amazed and want to feel that astonishment again. When they ask to see it again in the second example you can easily tell them no as long as you are not rude about it, and they will leave it at that.

Oct 3, 2007
germany
I agree with D ICE R. However, there is one reason you didn't mention. They might call a friend over and ask you to perform it again for them. Normally this shouldn't really be much of a problem because its a new spectator, and those who saw it before will usually be concentrating more on their friend's reaction than on you. This means that you could pretty much do the same trick again without any real worries.

Personally, I would say something along the lines of:

"I wont.. but I'll tell you what, I'll show you something better!"

Now all you have to do is perform a trick of at least equal calibur to what you did before. It doesn't ACTUALLY have to be better. By simply stating that it is better builds a sort of suspense for the spectator. Because, as Aaron Fisher said, "the effect only happens in the spectators mind", if they believe the trick is going to be better (and as long as it isnt actually a complete disapointment.. which shouldnt be much of a problem I think ;)) they will react accordingly.

Sorry for the incredibly wierd sentence structure above, hope you understood what I meant: :rolleyes:

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
I realised I forgot that scenario, however when I am preforming I usually get something like 'Hey can you show something to....'. I hate to sound arrogant but when I am performing it is very much my show, everyone knows this I love to let them in but at the end of the day they know that I am completely in control. Also the advantage of almost everything that I preform in a strolling style performance can be repeated.

well some tricks i do again. like an ACR . sometimes i do extreme burn more than once.
but thoes tricks, you can do it more than once. One tip is to change the move you are doing, or show them what you could do (which isnt what you really do) then do the real move again.
if they say do it again, you could be like. alright. i work for tips just to let you know. wink.
or you can be like, oh you like that? well let me show you something even better!
that'll get them geared up.

What I do is normally just say, "I'll tell you what, I'll show you something even better" and then spread out the cards for them to take one Once they realise something is going to happen they will quickly forget about what they were saying and start paying attention to what you are doing. If the first trick was that good that they wanted to see it again then they'll be eager to see what else you can do. This will also teach you not to do your most amazing piece of magic first, as you'll need to have something better to follow up with! :)

It's all about controlling the audience and gaining their respect. You're in charge of what you do at the end of the day. And if you do it all with confidence and good humour then they won't mind that.

Just my thoughts

Rev

Sep 1, 2007
Much appreciate all the advice from the posts, I ask because I don't perform much. I sit at home and practice for hours but I never really got into performing. This other kid at my school steals my glory by performin 34875843 different trick with TERRIBLE handling and patter my 2 year old cousin could come up with. So I save mine for the streets maybe 2 or 3 times a month.

So I don't really have the experience as most of you do with audiences and handling questions like that.

Thanks again everyone, I will take everything you guys said and put use to it!

Kela.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Much appreciate all the advice from the posts, I ask because I don't perform much. I sit at home and practice for hours but I never really got into performing. This other kid at my school steals my glory by performin 34875843 different trick with TERRIBLE handling and patter my 2 year old cousin could come up with. So I save mine for the streets maybe 2 or 3 times a month.

So I don't really have the experience as most of you do with audiences and handling questions like that.

Thanks again everyone, I will take everything you guys said and put use to it!

Kela.

How is that stealing your glory? If you know what a good script can be and a few good tricks you should be infinitely taken more serious as a performer than they are.
Though,seeking glory is not the way to go about it anyway.

Sep 1, 2007
San Diego
my response that I've been using for years that has worked 99% of the time is simply:

"OK, I'll do it again but different." As I continue to do something SIMLIAR, but a different effect.

I wasn't expecting for the line to go over well and I was anticipating them to say "no no, do the one where such and such happened." This has actually only happened to me a couple of times, so I think that the response is solid, but you can never take care of all outliers.

My 2 cents :D

Sep 1, 2007
How is that stealing your glory? If you know what a good script can be and a few good tricks you should be infinitely taken more serious as a performer than they are.
Though,seeking glory is not the way to go about it anyway.

I mean it in a way as, he does a ton of tricks, but does them so badly he gives away EVERYTHING. I sit there watching him and all I wanna do is slam my head against the wall for hours. I tryed performing and they're like... "YOU PICKED UP 2 CARDS!" and you wouldn't know I did but this dumb kid has to do double lifts worse then my Mother would. It's terrible.

Oh well haha. This isn't the point of the thread anyways.

Sep 1, 2007
San Diego
Keep this in mind when critiquing, at least he is out there performing...he can't be all bad if he continues to perform, the audiences must see something different. ;)

Sep 1, 2007
Keep this in mind when critiquing, at least he is out there performing...he can't be all bad if he continues to perform, the audiences must see something different. ;)

It means he has larger balls, just no brains to temper them.

School is quite possibly the worst environment to perform in anyway, especially the hyper-competitive years of high school where everyone either learns you have to step on someone to get ahead or you have to get behind somebody before you can stab them in the back.

Sep 1, 2007
It means he has larger balls, just no brains to temper them.

School is quite possibly the worst environment to perform in anyway, especially the hyper-competitive years of high school where everyone either learns you have to step on someone to get ahead or you have to get behind somebody before you can stab them in the back.

This has no point to the thread. If you're trying to get across I'm stupid for not performing in school or something then okay, do it somewhere else. I'm well popular in school, believe it or not, don't really give a rats ass.

I made this thread for advice and help, not to waste yours and my time.

Sep 1, 2007
If you're trying to get across I'm stupid for not performing in school or something

Not at all. I'm just saying that this kid may be bold enough to perform regularly in school, but it's a stupid move on his part because school is a terrible place to perform. Having balls is no good if there's no brain attached to them.

I would advise exercising reading comprehension before you go taking things personally.

Sep 1, 2007
Not at all. I'm just saying that this kid may be bold enough to perform regularly in school, but it's a stupid move on his part because school is a terrible place to perform. Having balls is no good if there's no brain attached to them.

I would advise exercising reading comprehension before you go taking things personally.

I didn't waste my time reading through the post, I thought you may just be starting something again. But I'm bored of fighting so I'm not gunna start anything. Thank you for putting your advice. I will take it into consideration.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results