It exists if you believe...

Ah visual, another award winning post for comedy. Still laughing actually, but your point is well made.

Some things we honestly can not explain and probably won't be able to for a good long time. So what we make of it is reality, disputing it is futile. Unless, that is your reality then I can't really argue there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Cornwall
The world is full of things that we cannot, and never will fully understand.

Instead of accepting that we as a species cannot know everything, we fill the gaps with our imagination.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
The way I see it, if you asked a child how big an elephant was, they would tell you that it was huge. Supposing blue whales could talk, and you asked a whale the same question, they would tell you that it was pretty small. Does that mean that the elephant changes size? Of course not. Does that mean that either the child or the whale is wrong? No, it does not. It is merely perspective.

Now in a magical context, suppose you show a group of people a trick, and ask them about it. One may say it was magical, one may say it was pretty enjoyable to watch, one may call it boring and silly. Does that mean it was any of these things? No, it was a double lift and a colour change. Does that mean everyone in the group is wrong?

Easy now, I loves me some playstation and beer. :)

At any rate I think the cause of this conflict stems from different definitions of reality. Truthfully, you can put reality into at least two categories. I'm sure there are actually philosophical terms for this but I don't know them. So lets just say:

Concrete Reality-What is actually happening. Our senses have limits so perceiving concrete reality is out of our grasp. We can really only focus on one thing at a time and only on whats close enough for us to see/hear/smell/touch/taste. Closing your eyes doesn't actually make the whole world go black. The fact that we can be surprised is proof that concrete reality is beyond us.

Perceived or Subjective Reality-Reality as your own senses allow you to perceive them. This is your operating system for life. This is reality as you know it. It doesn't get any realer. So as far as our own abilities to perceive it, THIS IS REALITY. Magic works because it causes a glitch in the system. We're understanding their operating system and painting one picture while in concrete reality setting up an outcome that is impossible under the conditions that they have perceived.

We hack perceived reality. It sounds pretty cool that way :p

I agree with this.^^^

Easy now, I loves me some playstation and beer. :)

At any rate I think the cause of this conflict stems from different definitions of reality. Truthfully, you can put reality into at least two categories. I'm sure there are actually philosophical terms for this but I don't know them. So lets just say:

Concrete Reality-What is actually happening. Our senses have limits so perceiving concrete reality is out of our grasp. We can really only focus on one thing at a time and only on whats close enough for us to see/hear/smell/touch/taste. Closing your eyes doesn't actually make the whole world go black. The fact that we can be surprised is proof that concrete reality is beyond us.

Perceived or Subjective Reality-Reality as your own senses allow you to perceive them. This is your operating system for life. This is reality as you know it. It doesn't get any realer. So as far as our own abilities to perceive it, THIS IS REALITY. Magic works because it causes a glitch in the system. We're understanding their operating system and painting one picture while in concrete reality setting up an outcome that is impossible under the conditions that they have perceived.

We hack perceived reality. It sounds pretty cool that way :p

You Sir are an ingreatful baboon!
This is exactly what i have been thinking phrased by outstanding simplicity.
I want to give you a cookie and say that you are a good boy!

Mikk.

Note. Beer is good, but Playstation? I mean come on, playing Car russian roulette while under 10 gallons of beer is far better. Playstation 10 on crack and 10 gallons of beer!

*Disclaimer, to those who don't know what Car Russian Roulette is, its when some dudes start driving at 200km/h through a crossroad if noone comes he got lucky, if someone comes, lets just say that dude is not going to step out of his bed on his wrong foot ever again.*

It exists if you believe

I didnt vote because I dont quite believe things as you "normal" humans do. And I have quite a...profound history with this particular subject, which is why my answer would be woefully complicated for you mere mortals to comprehend.

That said, how do you know that I am not really Elven? You dont, do you?

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
I didnt vote because I dont quite believe things as you "normal" humans do. And I have quite a...profound history with this particular subject, which is why my answer would be woefully complicated for you mere mortals to comprehend.

That said, how do you know that I am not really Elven? You dont, do you?

First off,there is no vote you speak of.

Second,what are you getting at that hasnt already been stated here?

Jul 13, 2009
^
^
^

*jumps up from behind sherlock*
Yeah Hippie!
*slincks back*

Oh and VA you should of said it gave you Cancer, the love radiation its kilths ush.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results