How do you create a card trick?

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
There is no set rules.

There are a lot of guidelines, but don't let even those hold you back.

Do whatever you want, go crazy and think of ways to accomplish a goal. Take note, that's actually write down and draw/photograph/video everything, and then see if any of the ideas are worth pursuing further.

Feb 5, 2010
I disagree with this actually. Yes, if you want to create a trick to market, making sure it hasn't been done is important. However if you just want to create for the sake of creating a trick, I wouldn't worry too much about making sure nobody's done it before. When you first start to create tricks, just being able to think of an effect and find a method for it is important, and this only comes with practice.

Well even if its not out to be marketed its always a decent idea to do one that hasnt been made yet. or made popular. Well for me i do it to a effect to fool magicians. thats the main reason i would say to have it original.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
Well even if its not out to be marketed its always a decent idea to do one that hasnt been made yet. or made popular. Well for me i do it to a effect to fool magicians. thats the main reason i would say to have it original.

Fair enough. To each his own, I suppose.

Nov 19, 2008
A few things I like to do:

-Go through an old craft box or knic knac (sp?) drawer and examine some random items. Think about how they function, what purpose they serve, et cetera. Break down an item in your mind and think about how it could operate in a card trick, or just use its properties to inspire a method or gimmick.
-Take a classic plot (Hifzinser Aces, Ace Assembly, triumph, ACR, etc.) adn see how much you can distort it, change one component and see where that leads you, change another and another and another until you have a totally new plot.
-Watch and practice coin magic. Sounds strange to do for a card trick but it works. Coin magic is far more bold than most card magic. If we can incorporate coin magic theory and thinking into cards we could take it to a pretty new, and modern place.

a few ideas for ya.

Mar 8, 2010
Keep a deck in your hands for as much time as possible without hindering your sex life.

persist&endure,
Chris Brown

I think you have to decide whether you are coming up with a new METHOD or a new EFFECT.

People put to much emphasis on not using already existing ideas/moves these days, going so far as assuming they if they use an Elmsley Count or Marlo Tilt then the trick they have come up with is not original. Sleights are just tools, its the effect that's important, so don't think you have to come up with a new sleight in order to claim your trick is original.

A painter wouldn't assume his painting wasn't an orginal just because someone else made the paints and paintbrushes, so don't assume you need new sleights to make new effects. Just take a bunch of sleights (or indeed gimmicks) that can be combined into a nice trick/routine that flows and looks magical.

Also, don't try to hard. I always wanted to come up with something original and never could so gave up. Then, whilst in the bath one night, an idea just randomly popped into my head. I tried it and posted a video online and asked a few (very experienced) magicians what they thought. None had seen a routine like it before and I got a lot of compliments, some one even said it was like the sort of thing Paul Harris would come up with! And if that's not a compliment then I don't know what is!

Rev

Mar 12, 2010
Tucson
Hey man.
All I can say is what I did really worked for me. First take a classic in magic that magicians have been doing for a long time, for example Hofsinzer's ace problem. Lots of people have their own version of this trick. Once you make a trick like this, it will help you understand how making a trick works, and then it will be easier to make your own tricks.After you have this down, you need to start deciding what you want, for example, go be categories. Start by saying something like "I'm going to make a sandwhich trick," then continue down until you have a clear picture of what you want it to look like. And believe it or not, creating a method is always the easiest part.

Mar 13, 2010
Hi, i want to now if i created trick but the end of the trick is the same it can be like my created trick or not?

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
Hi, i want to now if i created trick but the end of the trick is the same it can be like my created trick or not?

Well I suppose that if it's just for your personal use, and the method is original to you, then yes. That is fair enough. If you tried to sell this, however, there would be issues, and you would have to contact the original creator of the effect and ask for permission.

Aug 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
For me I can never think of a new effect if I try to. It's just kind of something that happens when you least expect it. So my advice would be not to "try" to create one. Then once you get an idea apply you're favorite sleights and ones you are good at. Again this is just me

Same with me. About a week ago I was just playing around with my cards and this idea came to me. I went with it and now its a great effect.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results