What kind of move did you invent?

Pip

Jul 1, 2010
Hi guys,

I was wondering: What move did you come up all by your selve? Even if it already existed.

For me it was a sort of flourish that happen al around and on the deck in your hand. It never really leaves my hand.

Pip

I crated a new steal from the center of the deck, I still havn't seen anything close to it, so fingers crossed that someone else doesn't discover it ;)
As well I have an original color change that I came up with and have also not seeen aything close to it.
Like most people I think I have some ides shooting around of things that may work, just got to get the time to play around with them ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I 'created' the Kelly Bottom Placement. :/

I have a new control that I haven't seen anywhere else (I'm afraid to look) from center of a spread to the top or into full palm.

Not a move, but I also created a way to do card to wallet with a normal wallet, very clean and fun to use.

Jul 5, 2010
I 'created' the Kelly Bottom Placement. :/

I have a new control that I haven't seen anywhere else (I'm afraid to look).

Why be afraid to look? its better to know that something has already be done, than to release it and be accused of ripping it off. Also look at the light of the situation, if you were able to create a move independently that a great mind had already thought of, it means that you are on the right track to creation because as they say, "great minds think alike".

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
i created a sweet top card palm. it also acts to retain a top card during a cut.

and a couple false cuts.

i've created a double lift to..

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Why be afraid to look? its better to know that something has already be done, than to release it and be accused of ripping it off. Also look at the light of the situation, if you were able to create a move independently that a great mind had already thought of, it means that you are on the right track to creation because as they say, "great minds think alike".

Quoted for truth. For me there's never really been a time I've created something worth trying it out. But I do have a few ideas that are on the back-burner that I'm trying to bring back. Hopefully I can get more ideas flowing than ever before

Jul 7, 2008
I've created a control called The Imposter Control, which is angle proof, and a color change based on the waterfall flourish called The Stork Change

Apr 1, 2009
California
I try to be a performer first. So I don't create to create. Sometimes I stumble upon something on my own. and play with it. May even use it for kicks. More of a creative exercise for me. I don't need to work on creating a new double lift or color change or pass, as there are already a million different ones that suit my needs and desires. Although I have come up with a few of those... Of course, I'll always lean towards the polished already established moves. If I'm creating I want it to be something organic. Not a card move or coins. Something worldly.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC

lol, if I ever planned on releasing anything I would definitely do research on it, and also get other minds in on the looking and research.

I'm not actually afraid to look, but right now I'm content believing I'm the first.

I also remembered, I have a new idea adding to the DG Boxsteal to add to the list of 'invented' moves.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I "discovered" the exact application of the gimmick used in Postmentalism. My bad. I also "discovered" a coin sleight which, lo and behold, was put in print by a well known mentalist about a month later. Awesome.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I try to be a performer first. So I don't create to create. Sometimes I stumble upon something on my own. and play with it. May even use it for kicks. More of a creative exercise for me. I don't need to work on creating a new double lift or color change or pass, as there are already a million different ones that suit my needs and desires.

Well said. I stand on the shoulders of those that came before me and use their creations and ideas to create... magic. I use others moves with my plot and my patter to show my audiences what is impossible.

I suspect that learning a sleight takes less than 10% of the time as inventing one. While other folks invented (or re-invented) a move, I learned at least 10 sleights.

Also, how many of the moves you've invented do you use in a effect (other than a "look I can find your card in a really unique way") with patter (other than than the typical "say-do-see" explanation of what is happening)?

And yes, I'm a little cranky this morning.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results