Best Coin Magician

Sep 27, 2007
Cenozoic, Oligocene
I have to say I put my vote into David Stone.
I mean, after watching his "Basic Coin Magic" dvd's I have to say, he is amazing.

Ponta the Smith has very good hands, but I can't say he's the "best" coin magician, because as I see, he's just really good at manipulating coins, which doesn't mean that he's a good magician.
Until I see some real performances, I can't say he's a the "best".

But anyways, David Stone. Whenever I'm watching performance videos of David Stone, whenever he does his coin magic, it actually seems like "real" magic because of his charisma and technique.

Btw, Basic Coin Magic is the way to go. Period.

Feb 13, 2009
Okay all you diehard hardliners lol Im going with what looks most magical to me and that would be Ponta Smith. His moves are so natural and smooth you can't tell that he's executing a sleight. With the other coin guys I can tell whats going on or know when sleights are occuring. Ponta's coin magic doesn't need patter for misdirection or a presentation for it to be entertaining. Im gonna admit I was fooled with at least half the stuff he was doing in his vidoes.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Okay all you diehard hardliners lol Im going with what looks most magical to me and that would be Ponta Smith. His moves are so natural and smooth you can't tell that he's executing a sleight. With the other coin guys I can tell whats going on or know when sleights are occuring. Ponta's coin magic doesn't need patter for misdirection or a presentation for it to be entertaining. Im gonna admit I was fooled with at least half the stuff he was doing in his vidoes.

Magicians are interested in technique. Laymen are not. Technique doesn't necessitate good performances. Who's the better magician, the one who can perform an invisible classic pass at the magic club, or the one who brings down the house at a theatre every night?

Some would say it is ridiculous to name someone "best coin magician" (of all time, mind you) after only being involved in the magic community a year or so, who has recently released one DVD that displays technique over creativity, originality, or any elements of presentation, and who has done far less for coin magic than MOST professional coin magicians.

Ponta has great technique. But there's more to coin magic than that, so this can't earn him the title of "best". What is he like in front of an audience? How creative is he? We don't know. But we know this about other pros, and that comes along with great sleight of hand skills.

It's hilarious that this name only comes up because people just bought his DVD. If anyone releases a coin DVD on theory11, ever, I can guarantee that people will fall for the hype and novelty of the "new", and put his/her name as the best, as well.

Forget any of the true greats... Let's just go with who put out the latest release.

That's where the "shame on you" comes from. Ponta has not been around long enough to earn the respect required to be called the greatest coin magician. He can't be compared to Roth, Rubinstein, Kam, Neighbours, Sol Stone, and the other TRUE greats.

I wonder how many people commented in this thread who have no idea who some of the real greats are. Names like Sol Stone, Roger Klause, David Neighbors, etc.

Posters who just throw up the only name they know, who have no actual knowledge of coin magic and its history, should not bother giving their "opinions", because an uneducated opinion is worthless.

Scott.

Spot on, Scott.

Ashrei

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
I'd like to put Justin Miller here. I didn't read entire 7 pages, so his name might have. Not just for his work on Silver Dreams (though it is brilliant), his restaurant works (coin and others) are nothing short of amazing. How he performs it, how he routined it, it's all very well thought out. I don't know I would call him the best of the best, but at least one of the best.

Apr 25, 2009
Yorktown, VA
Because that is what a good magician is all about, clean sleights, yes?

Ah, I do lose hope for T11 sometimes...

How much I agree with you here. But then I remember the age group of MOST the people posting on this web site and I just retract that thought. Prae, you are one of the few that keep me coming back. I have just learned that there are some people that I have to tune out, and some that I have to pay a bit more attention to =P

May 15, 2010
With Gerard Way
Shoot Ogawa is my favorite as of last week, I met him at the Magic Castle and he shook my hand, he was adorable when he tried to spell my name.

I LOVE YOU SHOOT ! ! !

My excuse for loving him: I am a GIRL

Jun 29, 2009
Saginaw, MI
Eric Jones, Ponta, and Homer Liwag are my favorite coin handlers. You really can't forget about past coin handlers but you can't say they are the best because they are legends. people like Eric Jones and them can coin handle with the best of them even thought they probably would not admit that they believe they are as good as the legends but they are to me.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results