Is the Clipshift an overused move?

Although I have resolved to post only when it is important/relevant, I feel that this topic is very important.

In every new card trick video we see these days (espically by younger magicians) they all involve the clipshift. Wether it be a sandwich effect or a transposition, they all MUST HAVE the Clipshift.

The problem is, most of these routines could do without the Clipshift. I personally feel that this move is becoming HIGHLY overused, and, as a result it is losing it's magical apperance/ high impact effect.

I feel we could all use a break from this move, or atlest only use it when it is necessary/the best option. But these are just my thoughts. What are yours?

May 3, 2008
Agreed. It's just magicians showing off to others about the slieghts they can accomplish and their slick hands. I will bet that most of them won't do it for an audence though.

May 3, 2008
Why does it matter? That's like saying the double life is over-used. People post videos of a trick that they perform for spectators and unless the spectator is a magician (which most of the time they won't be) the spectator won't know the move. I perform it a lot and have never had a spectator yell "Hey that's the Clipshift everyone does that!"

May 3, 2008
You know it's showing off when it's not even neccessarilly a good trick. Sometimes they have an entire video just showcasing the move.

May 8, 2009
Yes that is true, however at the same time it is seems that it is courtesy not to overuse moves so as to keep the magic fresh and real for the magicians as well as just the spectators, and when moves like the clipshift are overused it actually puts a clamp on one's creativeness by not coming up with a new way of accomplishing the same thing.

May 13, 2008
St Albans, UK
Who cares how much a sleight is used? As long as it fits the trick and works in the context of the presentation, why not use it?

I would rather see less webcam videos showcasing any kind of sleight, than completely attempt to ban this sleight in an enraged forum scenario.

Aug 31, 2007
Although I have resolved to post only when it is important/relevant, I feel that this topic is very important.

In every new card trick video we see these days (espically by younger magicians) they all involve the clipshift. Wether it be a sandwich effect or a transposition, they all MUST HAVE the Clipshift.

The problem is, most of these routines could do without the Clipshift. I personally feel that this move is becoming HIGHLY overused, and, as a result it is losing it's magical apperance/ high impact effect.

I feel we could all use a break from this move, or atlest only use it when it is necessary/the best option. But these are just my thoughts. What are yours?

For me, it has its good side AND bad side.
The bad side, I am not gonna talk about it, since you have pointed it out~
The good side is that it helps people to think of how to expand its limitiatinos~ (that's what I thought............)

I know that it is really annoying when you see the same move keeps appear in almost every single video; but well.......IT IS A REALLY GOOD MOVE, what can you say =\

over hyped, and performed poorly. also it is always done the same way.
i use the clipshift move, but i have 2 hands on the deck. so its a little different, so when a magician sees it, he may be thrown off a bit.
but it is a good move, not over used, a lil over hyped, but its a great move so it should be used.
but it needs to be practiced and mastered first.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Agreed. It's just magicians showing off to others about the slieghts they can accomplish and their slick hands. I will bet that most of them won't do it for an audence though.

I dont agree, personally speaking, the clipshift its one of my most LIVE performances used sleights, I have a couple of videos that prove it.

It's not that the sleight its bad, the people that use it its what's wrong.

Nov 23, 2008
It's not so much people posting up videos of them doing the Clipshift that annoys me. When the Clipshift is done well it is an absolutely beautiful sleight. The thing that annoyed me was all the fake Clipshifts people were doing to make it seem as though they could do it. They would film it and miss out half the sleight and just show them sliding the card into position.

Also, more than one Clipshift in a video is overkill I think. It only needs to be done once, and that includes when it is used for a control.

May 3, 2008
I dont agree, personally speaking, the clipshift its one of my most LIVE performances used sleights, I have a couple of videos that prove it.

It's not that the sleight its bad, the people that use it its what's wrong.

You're an exception for obvious reasons. ;)

Oct 22, 2008
yah i actually fully disagree with u here. I think that if it is not practiced enough than maybe you should not be doing it live. But if you have it perfected, silent and beautiful, than why not use it in a trick?! As long as it works and flows. I think it will always be just as visual to spectators and that is what magic is about, performing in front of spectators... not magicians and if it is in front of magicians it is more just to get feedback.

-Jake

D

Deleted member 2755

The thing that annoys me about the Clip Shift is HOW people use it. The move is awesome and has SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many uses.

It can be used to palm cards.
Several color changes.
A Control.
A vanish.

Despite its uses, I have seen people use it for only 1 use. The standard shaking color change. The Clip Shift is a really awesome move, but people only use it for one of its many uses! (Well if you can count the time I saw someone using the Dribble Control, but the person in the video did it badly so they essentially exposed it...) The Clip Shift is awesome. Shame people use it for only one of its uses. Oh well, I guess that will just make my magic more deceptive.

-Doug

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
To doggedly use the same sleight in every trick is a bit like a musician writing an entire album in the same key.

Why don't we make a thread like this but about the Double Lift?

Anyway, I fully agree with sinful and about what steer says...Using the sleight in every effect it's boring, but using the sleight and its different applications in your routines it's actually good, I know that the move is hard, but once you practiced it, it really goes unnoticed, the angles are pretty good and I really love it, just my personal opinion.

You guys know that most of the videos of me performing in vimeo are about routines using the clipshift, I really like the routines, because there is so much room for patter.

Well, what can I say? I love the clipshift.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results