subway card magic name some! name your ten best one !

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
You couldn't have just asked about sandwich effects? >.>

Where most sandwich effects fall short is simply this: why are you using two cards to find one? I feel that an effect can certainly be magical without this justification. However, an effect that does indeed lack this justification is not conducive to effectively communicating a meaningful experience of magic.

The only sandwich I currently use is Advocate Wedge, which provides a good reason for two other cards actually being there in the first place.

jr?

Apr 3, 2009
leeds and halifax
www.jrmagic.co.uk
i no but this art that i am working on/ the way i wight! it is fun to see what you no and see what i mean with some of my threads . well last week a put up a thread up . but i was saying a lot moere with in it. it had some keys word for me to read for me to no what the thread is all about. but now i can not see it i can not tell you wat i was saying by the thread that i put up last week ... so now you no me and my mind but is this my mind is gods have my mind!

Feb 28, 2008
You couldn't have just asked about sandwich effects? >.>

Where most sandwich effects fall short is simply this: why are you using two cards to find one? I feel that an effect can certainly be magical without this justification. However, an effect that does indeed lack this justification is not conducive to effectively communicating a meaningful experience of magic.

The only sandwich I currently use is Advocate Wedge, which provides a good reason for two other cards actually being there in the first place.

I've been wondering the same thing. How do you justify a sandwich effect? My explanations are often more cute than logical or magical.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
I hate sandwich effects because of those problems and its just too wierd.
When I was a kid and a magician showed me a sandwich effect I was like "but why between those cards?" could he have just have found it without it?Was more confused than amazed

Like aaron fisher said "laymen dont care about sandwich effects,only magicians do"
The only sandwich effect that I liked ever was used by david blaine in his first specials.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I feel like I should add a simplified version of what I said before.

Sandwiches have the innate issue I mentioned above.

Despite this, sandwich effects can certainly be magical, even if this issue is not addressed.

However, I believe that you are selling yourself short, if indeed the effect doesn't address this inadequacy. The effect may still be magical, but it could be even more than that if it didn't have this barrier.

I actually do alot of sandwich routines and they get good reactions. For example I have a 4 phase sandwich routine which ends with all four previous cards sandwiched between the 2 jokers. I think the problem is is people do just one sandwich which takes about 30 seconds and people are kinda confused. It either needs to be a routine or a longer, more personal/explained effect such as Larry Jenning's 'the searchers' or its rip off "search and destroy" by aaron fisher.

Sep 1, 2007
I like sandwich effects.. heh. I get great reactions.

Anyways... DO subway in subway.

(Subway by D&D -Available on the TRICKS DVD on the Trilogy, and maybe in the 1-on-1's)

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
To Unknown and 3AQ7, do you and if so, how do you address the question of why you're using two cards to find one? I'm interested in others' solutions to this; I do certainly recall some conversations in the past on this topic.

Sep 1, 2007
To Unknown and 3AQ7, do you and if so, how do you address the question of why you're using two cards to find one? I'm interested in others' solutions to this; I do certainly recall some conversations in the past on this topic.

To be totally honest they don't.

Usually to get my 2 cards (Aces, Kings, whatever) they come from previous tricks and are just used to find another card. Ambitious sandwich tricks are my favorite, as a quick trick or something, like... ishkabibble sandwich but I altered it a little.

Just my preferences.

Jun 1, 2009
I
Like aaron fisher said "laymen dont care about sandwich effects,only magicians do"
Then why did he create search and destroy? Just a thought, Im not trying to be an a$$ here.
i no but this art that i am working on/ the way i wight! it is fun to see what you no and see what i mean with some of my threads . well last week a put up a thread up . but i was saying a lot moere with in it. it had some keys word for me to read for me to no what the thread is all about. but now i can not see it i can not tell you wat i was saying by the thread that i put up last week ... so now you no me and my mind but is this my mind is gods have my mind!

Good god that was hard to follow, please work on your grammar. If english is not your first language, at least learn the basics of it correctly so we can understand you better.

I use triad by Bill Goodwin with my own patter. Basically it says that the cards get bored when they are in their box and find things to do or develop skills, one cool skill is the one the red jacks have. I have them select a card and tell them the red jacks can find any card they want insantly, and do the first production. Then I tell them we will go ahead and do it again, this time so you guys can see it. And go into ambitious sandwhich. Finally I say, their (red jacks) favorite way to catch a card is this way...and go into the final part of my own creation, it looks like this: http://media.theory11.com/1726-Lee-Asher---Sandwich

Another sanwich effect uses the aces. I do either Twisting the Aces or Doc Daley's last trick, then have a spectator hold them. I have someone select a card, and ask was it black or red. Based on the color, we use the aces that match. I say "since the aces are the highest cards in the deck, they also have the most authority. With that authority, they know every card in the deck and exactly where it lies, I'll show you." I wave the aces in front of their face so they can "read the mind" of the spectator and know what the card is, then go into whatever production I feel like using at the time.

I hope this opens up your eyes to some justification. Thats just my personal taste for sandwiches, I do like them.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Then why did he create search and destroy? Just a thought, Im not trying to be an a$$ here.

I only quoted that small part.
There was more to what he was saying than that. He did create a sandwich effect but really really simplified it and made it unique.Not like other sandwiches where the cards are hopping around everywhere and no reason as to why.

Jul 1, 2009
Austin,TX
I love sandwhich effects and my audicence does too.

Subway( So freakin SWEAT)

Search and destory

Own sandwhich routine

Mar 22, 2009
There are valid presentational justifications for sandwich tricks. I haven't seen many, but I have seen some.

I perform a sandwich trick, and it's one of the strongest effects I do. I've come up with a presentation that clarifies the effect and provides justification for the sandwich effect. I think some sandwich tricks (those of Darwin Ortiz and Mike Close) stand head and shoulders above most, including Dan and Dave's version. If Guang is interested, I'll show him my version sometime if he hasn't already seen it, but there's no way I'm sharing it on an open forum.

Feb 8, 2008
how do you address the question of why you're using two cards to find one?

I personally don't use any sandwhich effect as "trying to find one card with two". I was always under the impression that this category is more of a transposition than anything else. Also, I've seen it used as a skill-oriented trick in which the magician grabs their card out of the deck while it is being riffled in the spectator's hands.

I think magicians or card artists or what-have-you tend to put any category of effects into a box and tell people that they can't take those effects out of the box.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I personally don't use any sandwhich effect as "trying to find one card with two". I was always under the impression that this category is more of a transposition than anything else. Also, I've seen it used as a skill-oriented trick in which the magician grabs their card out of the deck while it is being riffled in the spectator's hands.

I think magicians or card artists or what-have-you tend to put any category of effects into a box and tell people that they can't take those effects out of the box.

No, that works fine. A transposition type effect is an interesting way to look at it. And I have in the past also used the grabbing the card presentation too. I just wanted to hopefully get others who have never thought about it to start doing so. But you're absolutely right about the box.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results