Saturday Night Contest - A FREE Trip To Magic-Con 2010

Sep 28, 2009
Hi , i am Antoine from France .

I want to come to meet and share with all the best thinkers than i know only by books dvd or Twitter …, i want to taste a californication magic trip .

For me magic is not only flourishes… so the best way to show you what is magic for me and how i want to come it was to make a video .. so as the saying is in french « cela vaut mieux qu’un long discours » (Figures say more than words ) :

http://www.vimeo.com/9347567

(Sorry , some sounds problem and bad quality because encoding i had to make it fast…)

Oct 9, 2008
My name is Calen Morelli I am nineteen years old, I live in Portland Oregon, and I perform magic full-time. I make enough to live on but there would be no way I could pay for a trip to magic-con. For me it is not about how much money I make, magic is what I love to do. I have been looking for something to take my magic to the next level; I and I believe the magic-con experience would do that. Since Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, I decided to write a short story about my “first love” for my entry.

"I think I’m really in love this time, mom."

She is like an art beautiful and mystifying. I think about her quite often. If I am having a bad day, I just think about her and she cheers me up. Ever since I was introduced to her my sophomore year in high school, I have been enthralled with her to this day. I take her places, and all the people she meets think she is amazing.
When I met her we really hit it off, I felt like there was an instant connection between us. I don’t know if you have ever felt a connection like that before but was magical. She has been in relationships before but they never worked out and didn’t last long. I really believe we could make something out of this infatuation. Some day she is all I can think about, and I spend my whole day doing things to make her look more beautiful. And some days we have no time together. There is just so much stuff to do between school and a job. I know I’m young but I have already thought about spending my life with her. You might have seen her on TV; she works with a weird guy named Criss once in a while. Even if you met her I don’t know, if you could ever know her the way I do. Like I said she is beautiful and mystifying all at the same time.
Yes, I have spent money on her, spring flowers, nice cards, and the whole nine yards. She’s not from around here, although I take her to parties and show her off. I have taken her to classy restaurants; she always makes people smile where ever we go. One time we stayed at a restaurant for three hours just her and I. We even made money she looked so amazing, odd right? Later on that night one man asked how we had met, and I told him. Actually she had me at “Hello…….would you like to see a card trick”? You see this passion and love is not for a person but an art, her name is “Magic”.

Here is a clip of me performing, doing what i love to do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WIx_Zg3Omc

Calen Morelli

Last edited by a moderator:
The Impact it Would have on my magic.

Please take the time to read this all the way through, I worked hard on it, and hopefully it wins. If not, then Congratulations to the winner.

Hey, I’m Sebastian, I’ve been doing magic for two years. It all started six years ago… And since I’ve been doing magic for only two years that might be a little confusing, but let me explain. When I was in second grade, I was introduced to something that even though I didn’t know it at the time, would change my life forever. I learned CARD TRICKS. Not an ambitious card, not even now what I would constitute as an actual trick. I learned a trick where you take a deck of cards, you tell the audience participant to select any card, they do so, and then just like that! All the cards are the same as the spectators card… It was amazing… Until two seconds later they asked to see the deck and crushed my spirits. But aside from the Svengali deck I learned a neat little trick where you take all the court cards, and put them into a pile, cut the pile a few times, tell a nice story (and without the story you can’t even call it an effect), deal the cards onto the table, and OMIGOSH!, all the cards are perfectly sorted into the suits! This at the time (I was 8, the coolioness of this trick was only matched by that of the 21 card trick) was a miracle. But then after a while I slowly drifted out of it. I just stopped doing magic, I only knew two tricks, and needless to say I grew tired kind of quickly. So my memory of me performing magic tricks faded into an abyss… Until four years later.
(At this point I'm twelve)
My family and I were visiting my Uncle’s house. We were playing a simple game of Texas hold’em poker… The game ended, I honestly can’t recall who won, and at this point I honestly don’t care, and the deck of cards were on the table. Me, being the clever little boy that I was, picked up the deck of cards, took out all of the suits, and said “Hey guys! Watch this”. Umm… I like to think they were amazed. I really don’t know, my memories of this night are kind of foggy, and I can’t remember if they were consuming alcoholic beverages or not…. But that’s not the purpose of this entry. The main reason I bring that up was because through a simple little CARD TRICK I had done quite a few things.
#1: I had entertained a whole group of people for at least five minutes, getting responses of laughter, and awe (I think…). All from a little card trick.
#2: Throughout this entire night, there had been this one guy, he was an extended relative and I really didn’t know him. I got to know him, socialize, interact, have conversations and break through that awkwardness that comes with first meeting someone. All because of a simple card trick.
At this point I realized that not only did doing magic make me look cool, help entertain people, it also broke down the communication barriers. So at this point if you’re wondering if I wanted to learn more the answer would be a YES. What twelve year old kid doesn’t want to be the center of attention? So I quickly ran (figuratively, I actually lived four hours away) home and began my journey to learn magic.
(12-12.5 years of age)
Needless to say the next twelve months of live were spent with me in my bedroom, looking through crappy YouTube tutorials, with me trying to find the “next best trick”. I honestly didn’t know what magic was about. Or at least I had forgotten. I was trying to build up my repertoire and trying to get as many tricks as possible, and I wasn’t actually performing. The closest thing that would come close to me performing was me asking my brother or sister to see a trick, them saying no, and me showing it to my mom. I would occasionally bring a deck of cards to school, but I wouldn’t do anything with them. So basically I was wasting away hours and days, and weeks of my life, for nothing. I was learning magic, I wasn’t doing it.
(13-Now years old)
Until around a year and a half ago, when I was bored at school, waiting for the bell to ring, and I pulled out my deck of cards, and began practicing my charlier cut. Some kids walked up to me (He was an upperclassmen, He was in 8th grade, I was in 6th.) and he said show me a trick. I so I actually performed for someone. And it felt good. For once I had felt that all the hours that I dedicated to this actually meant something. So needless to say I started performing magic more often, at lunch before school, in classes (Which if anyone of my teachers ask I will deny), and basically any time that I could. I was actually DOING magic. I wasn’t just learning. I was actually doing. And it was then that I remember what had gotten me into magic, it was that it bridged the gap between people.

So around this time 8th grade is beginning. Some middle school kids with a bunch of hormones running through their heads have short attention spans, some want nothing more than to steal the stage, some just want to sit back and relax, some want to help the magician, while others don’t care about the magic kid. I’m being exposed to every single type of spectator that there is, in some very harsh conditions. For the majority of the time I am completely surrounded, and I have no table, I’m seated (Making stealing/ditching stuff from my pockets nearly impossible). And I think that these are the times that when I look back on my magic career will have made the biggest difference. I’m at the age where people are finding who they are, where what they do now effects who they are for the rest of their lives. Where the traits that we pick up now will stay with us for the rest of our lives. So basically what happens to us now, determines who we are for the rest of our time on this planet, and who we meet effects how we act, how others treat us effects how we treat others.

Magic-Con is the biggest collection of creative minds in the world of magic today. I think that meeting and talking to these people would change the way that I view magic, and make me a better performer. I honestly believe that a trip to magic con would change my life. I would better the tool that I use to communicate with others. I would be more sociable, I would be able to present myself better, I would be able to find my performing personality, I would become a better overall magician, and a better person. I think that I deserve to go to magic-con because I’m not the guy that’s been into magic for eight years. I don’t know what I want to do with my magic, I don’t know all that magic can do, and I don’t know if magic is something that I would like to do professionally, or maybe just as a side job. I really DON’T KNOW; and Magic-Con is probably the best place to find that out. I don’t want to go to learn some new sleights, I don’t want to go to get some good deals on magic items. I need to go to make myself the best magician that I can possibly be. And I think that Magic-con is the best place in the world for me to do that.

Thank you for reading this.

Dec 25, 2008
Malaysia
Well hopefully the winner would have fun in the magic-con. I would love to enter the contest but I've check that the two-way airfare from Malaysia to Los Angeles and to San Diego would be around 5000+ , Yea you heard me, 5000+, so convert to US$ would be around $1500, since then, i don't have enough money to go, so hopefully you guys can rock the town with some magical powers.

Jan 4, 2009
West Allis,WI
SNC :: Magic Con 2010

Hello everyone, here is my submission into the contest, I do apologize for video quality and audio displacement. I've been working hard at this project for the last 3 and half days. Im also providing the script to the video for clarity, this is truly from my heart and I wish the best of luck to all those who entered this contest...and Im so appreciative of what I have now...after losing all of my props and deck of cards worth over 350 dollars in a house fire...it made me realize how materialistic those things were and thus morphed me into a better person, better performer, and better thinker. Once again best of luck to everyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTjx1ntD1Aw

“Magic…is defined as the exercise of sleight of hand or conjuring for entertainment… native tribes convey it to spirits or voodoo, to some merely child’s play. I could go on and explain WHY I should be chosen or try to prove myself. Honestly I think the proof is right there outside my door, those smiling faces…the cheering…the baffled and dumbfounded looks… the little packs of kids that seem to follow you everywhere…and in that brief moment you feel like a rock star….I strive to better myself as a performer and create a sense of sadness, anger, happiness, confusion…….to explore the mind and push the limits….”

“This experience at Magic Con will forever hold a special place in my heart…for this is the beginning of something spectacular, something memorable...priceless and never to be forgotten. I can truly learn what it means to be a magician, behind the magic and bright lights…to see working professionals in action…and get a hands on course in advancing my magic to the next level….or just roll away and fade into the darkness…..”

Oct 16, 2007
Centreville Va

Hello everyone. Lets get everything straight.
Name: Chris Dean
What I do: Cards Tricks, Coin Tricks, various object manipulation and illusions.
Location: Northern Virginia and Norfolk Virginia (Old Dominion University)
When: I started magic when i was nine but didnt truly start till i was 13.
Why I do Magic: Truthfully it will sound so generic and corny but i truly love the reactions i get. that little moment of amazement that people experience when they watch me perform is so enjoyable. I enjoy helping people where ever i am. when i perform magic it puts most people in such a good mood that for just one moment they can forget about their emotions and troubles. the reason i do this is because i want to share my personal enjoyment with people, share what magic has done for me. Magic has been my constant ,along with my best friend (who is also my camera man and editor and the main person i practice for when i am home), throughout my life. growing up i was poor (well still am lol) and at some points homeless literally and not literally. literally in the sense that i did not have a home to call my own. we moved around alot and i switched schools alot. like i said before magic and my friend , Derrick, have always been there for me. Not literally in the sense as sometimes i had a house (not home because home is where the heart is, right now it is at derricks house) but i never wanted to be there because i hated it. i am not trying to win sympathy points here by saying this ( and i know by even writing this line that people are doubting me) but i just want to show how i have used magic to help myself and others. Magic allowed me to get away from a abysmal home conditions ,a evil "step mother" (yes she was pure evil I'm not joking) even getting away from fights and people beating me up. I got to go out to perform and practice. It was my savior and to this day i cherish it with my whole being. I LOVE MAGIC and I love performing it. i will not say that i am the best performer but i can say that when i am done with an act or a show, people remember me. all through out high school and now as i am in college also, people always come and say " oh your that magic guy" people i don't even know. This is my first year in college and it's tough but the first week that i got here i started to perform. I even participated in Freshman talent show. you can watch it HERE (Sorry but it is only on facebook and i know that some of the artist here are on there) with school and everything I still dont have a lot of money. i am putting my self through college and at the same time trying to send what ever money i can home to help out. Going to Magic-Con would be amazing, but you all already knew that. Or else you wouldn't post it as a prize. I have only been to one convention and that was Magi-Whirl in Arlington Va back about 3 years ago (which i am currently trying to save up to go to this year) and even that was paid for by a magic friend of mine that invited me (brian) who also turned me on to this site. Before i reached high school i had never heard of magic sites. then came Penguin magic , Ellusionist, and finally Theory 11. I have met ONE professional magician that is well known and i believe he is doing somethin with T11. his name is Justin Kredible
I would love to go to magic con 2010. I am trying to further my magic career. i am now looking into restaurant gigs and private parties. on campus i am for hire by people and organizations. I have never had a formal teacher or instructor besides the few DVDs i have seen. the closest i have ever had really to a teacher is a magician that showed me a card trick that he called scotch and soda when i was on my way out of the Five Below store and then he showed me the method since he knew i was a magician by the trick decks i had bought from there. i still perform that trick to this day.

I see alot of people on this site are all about coming up with original effects and what not but for me thats not all magic is. i like the performance aspect of the game. I have not created a trick before. i find more enjoyment in performing for people. The trick is not the magic. The magic is the experience that we give to others. When out spectators leave and they are still in shock then you know you are doing a good job. People still ask me to do tricks for them even though i have shown them most of my repertoire. I dont know many tricks and I am sad to say that i lack in the knowledge about my craft. i wanna learn as much as possible from these great magician that will be attending this convention. I want it so bad that it pains me to think that my chances of winning this once in a life time opportunity are slim to none. But if i didnt attempt to win then i would regret it forever. Now i can say that at least i tried. This is the best i can do with what i am given. I have poured all that i am into this entry and have divulged things that not many people know about me. the bad things that happened in my life are overshadowed by my good nature. i smile as much as possible and strive to make others do the same. i have been through the bad and know what it is like. Now i want to show people the good things in life. that life is not all bad but that there are people out there that try so hard to entertain and help people become happy again.
If i had the time i would provide testimonies of all the people that have enjoyed what i can do and what i did for them. There is a whole high school out there in Centreville Virginia that could attest to that and hundreds more. I will not say that i am the best but i strive to be the best and if i don't make it i will fall among the best that there are. There is a saying that a mans imagination exceeds his grasp but in my mind, with magic nothing is beyond my grasp and nothing will stop me from doing what i love. My grasp exceeds my imagination. I'm sorry for such a long post but if you have read this whole thing i thank you for taking the time. I truly believe that i would not have become the person i am today with out this art. This is my story and i want it to be heard.
Thanks again for this opportunity.

Sincerely
Chris Dean
P.S. Here is alittle video that i created for fun with Derrick hope you like it
"PROJECT MANASSAS"
Welcome to My City

Jan 19, 2009
Hy!
My name is Gábor.(Just call me Gabe ;))
I'm 16 years old student in a secondary school, and I live in Hungary in Pécs.
I have a younger sister and a younger brother.
I started to learn magic tricks 2 and a half years ago.
I learnt the tricks from the internet and from books, so I didn't have somebody who taught me.My Family, my classmates and friends said that I'm as good as an other magician with a "teacher".
In my Secondary school 's English oral test (entrance examination) I grab my deck of cards and I performed tricks to the teachers and I spoke in english.
They applause...I succeeded in the test!
The magic is more than a hobby for me.
In the future I'd like to work as a magician.
I like to watch the people's face when I perform a trick.
And they ask: -How did you do that?
And I say: -It's magic! :)

I'd like to go to the Magic-Con because I'd like to learn from the professional magicians. And that was my dream to go to another country to meet with other magicians and perform magic tricks.

Pécs is the European Capital Of Culture in 2010 but I'm the only magician here.
I don't know why!? The magic and the magic performances are cultural activities but I am the only one here.

So If I could go to the Magic-Con and I could learn new things I would teach it to the other magicians .
If I could go to this Magic-Con 2010, I could bring some experience from San Diego to my city.
One of my plan is to go to hospitals to show,perform tricks to children.
If I could go to the Magic-Con I could tell my buzz, my experience to my family, to my classmates, (To my teachers:D), To the magicians...
In Hungary there are just a few magicians so I would be glad to meet with other magicians in other continent in other country with an other culture.

I made a video for the contest: (this is the first time when I reveal myself!;))
http://vimeo.com/9385513

Feb 5, 2010
Why I Should Go To Magic Con

There are many reasons i would like to go to Magic-Con 2010. First of all i absolutely love to perform magic tricks and flourishes. I just started performing recently but lately practicing tricks and flourishes has consumed up most of my time. If i was able to go to Magic-Con i think that would be a great experience where i could talk with amazing artists like Wayne Houchen and i could share some of my thoughts on magic.

I know many people are going to enter this contest that have been doing magic for a lot longer than me and that they are more experienced but i love magic with a passion and i think that for me to go to Magic-Con would be a wonderful learning experience.

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
i was trying to wait it out, and i tried to create a video to go along with my essay, but alas, no success, without further ado. here is my submission:

I found magic last year over Christmas break, my family and I went to Orlando, Disney land, the works, it was cool, I was a freshman in high school. We went to downtown Disney, a sort of shopping mall, and I found Magic Masters (http://www.magicmasters.com/store/home.php). The guy who was doing tricks at the table, showed me a “wizard deck” I was floored when he split the reds and blacks in a flash, and my card was with the opposite color, it was awesome. I bought the deck, and the guy whispered the secret into my ear, and showed me how to use it, and he told me to practice. I went and sat down at an Auntie Anne’s pretzel shop and started fiddling with my newfound toy, and I was so excited at how it worked, and how only I knew. So I went back, and bought “The Good Set” it was a set of three gimmicked coin tricks, (scotch and soda, nickels N dimes, quarter in a bottle). I was in love, I loved magic, and I loved being able to do things without people being able to know how. I took them home, and began amazing my classmates. I performed those tricks for like 3 months, without presentation, or any patter. I WAS BAD! To my benefit, none of my classmates had ever seen magic anywhere near the level of crap I performed. At least not up close like I showed them. I thought I was good, no David Blaine, but good.

Eventually, those four or five tricks I could do; got old. I sought advice; I needed someone who had been in my 15 dollar sneakers to show me how to earn their fancy Italian loafers. I found YouTube. GASP! I know, how terrible, but not uncommon, I didn’t know any better. I learned some crappy tricks through exposure, mostly lame card effects. And eventually, I Google-d “free magic tricks” and I found ellusionist. I learned those 5 free ones that they teach. I eventually learned that it was wrong to learn off YouTube. So I quit. But I still had no direction, no instruction, nobody in Italian loafers to give me a little nudge towards the Armani suits. I started e-mailing artists. Big names off Ellusionist, I sent them an e-mail something like this:

my name is Webster Gehring I am 14 years old and love magic. Them I own a stripper deck, and three coin tricks they are: "nickels N' dimes”, “Scotch and soda”, “quarter in a bottle" I can perform all three of them well. I am quite good at handling my stripper deck, which confuses my classmates beyond my imagination. but sadly my effects are losing their effect, my classmates are either bored with them or have figured them out. I am not able to drive and the closest magic shop to my home is 45 miles away except for the Waldenbook which only occasionally carries magic. so do you have any suggestions of what i should do to take my magic to the next level?
with thanks,
Web

Most guys sent me back lame e-mails with lame advice on which of their material was the best. Then, Adam Grace, sent me an e-mail telling me to buy Royal Road to Card Magic, it was the nudge I needed. I got the book, and I studied it, I even sent him another e-mail telling him that I’d finished it, and I asked where to go next, he ignored it, I think he knew that there was no way I finished it. While I waited, I kept reading and rereading Royal Road to Card Magic. I learned more out of the book, go figure.

That’s really my start, I bought a couple lame books at borders somewhere in there that didn’t teach me much, except for Joshua Jays complete course, the rest were bombs.

I still craved community, I still longed for fellow magicians, I found some reprieve in Adam Grace and others like him, but I still longed for more. I had found theory11 and shopped around the tricks section, never buying anything, I rather ignored the forums section. Then, I sent a ticket to customer service asking the same questions I had asked others, and I was referred to the forums, kind of ignored it. Then, I bought pressure, I wanted into the private forums, so I made an account, and I found community here, eventually. It took a while to settle in as everything else does. Nevertheless, it was worth the wait. I eventually grew, and found tried the forums on Ellusionist, (nowhere near as good in my own opinion), then I recently tried out penguin, I think because somebody here on theory11 recommended a penguin product on sponge balls.

’ve searched for magicians in my own area, multiple times, and come up short, multiple times. I’ve longed for a mentor, for so long, and I recently got my little sister to help me practice, but it didn’t really do it for me. It didn’t fill the hole I feel in my gut. Don’t get me wrong It’s better than nothing, but who really gets along with their little sister?

If you didn’t pick up on this from the previous paragraphs, I’m super duper grateful for theory11 and all the friends I’ve made there, and all the advice I’ve gotten. It’s priceless, but I have yet to get to meet another magician, at or above my level in person. Sure, there are tons of kids who got a magic set when they were three, but none who stuck with it. So I feel a bit isolated out here in the middle of this cornfield, just outside the ghetto, (Galesburg Illinois).

So that’s my story, that’s where I’ve been with magic, and that’s where I am now. Just a kid who got sucked in at a magic shop, who grew into an aspiring young hobbyist/ wanna be pro, who craves community more than anything else, (except lunch, at 1 o clock I eat the late lunch line because of my schedule).

Now that you’ve gotten the history lesson, let’s look to the future…and where I want my magic to go, and what I want to do with it.

I want my magic to be more.

More what? More everything.

When I see myself in the future; and my magic in the future, I want it to be more than it is now. Even tomorrow, I want to spend more time tomorrow on magic, than I did today, (which shouldn’t be hard, because I spent 4 hours on homework today). Its not just time though, I want my magic to be more entertaining, I want my magic to be remembered by people, more. I want my magic to be more technically difficult. When I think about what I want my magic to do I want to be able to have a lasting effect on people, not necessarily because of the effects. But because of what I say, because of how I say what I say, because of when I say what I say, and because of how the magic fits into what I say. I want my magic to be more. More than just tricks, more than just a performance, more than just what you guys talk about being your best performances, and more doesn’t necessarily mean better. I want my magic to reach deep into people’s hearts, and souls, and inspire them to, to something. To do—something. To feel—something. To think – something. To change—something. That was not there before I met them and did what I hope to someday be able to do. That’s why I hope to be one of the few gospel magicians who doesn’t have to sacrifice magic, for the gospel, or the gospel, for magic. I think that’s possible. No matter how difficult, I hope to be able to do that some day. Because the power of Jesus Christ, I have seen stir up deeper more heart-felt, emotional, you name it, reactions, that no magic trick can ever achieve. And while I’m not reaching for that with the magic, I believe that the magic can get me in, that the magic can open the door to their hearts so that I can show people how to know God the way I do, better even. I dream of that at night, I ponder that in math class when my teacher is rambling on about how we don’t do our homework, (I do mine, see above). I wish for that when I read threads on theory11. I can’t express in words how much I want my magic to be more than it is today. I’m so passionate about growing as a magician, I can’t even describe it, I want my magic to grow to unbelievable heights, the sky is the limit. I want my magic, and my faith, and my love of God, to reach out to people, and change their lives. I believe that, I need to be a great magician, and a great evangelist in order to accomplish this.

And I think that magic-con, would be a shot in the arm, a power pill, a spring loaded stepping stone, To me reaching the greatness that I need to be at as a magician in order to do the things I long to do. I think that if I am given the opportunity to go to magic-con, that my magic would grow exponentially, it’d be amazing, I think I would get as much out of magic-con as If I could suddenly get 34 inches on a muscle pass in both my left and right hands. (yes I know that’s almost 3 feet). Or if I could suddenly do every single sleight in Erdnase. Or being able to go through sick by ponta the smith, in 30 min. or even all 3 of those combined. Then growing in God’s love, will just happen if I love him back, because he already loves me. When I combine all of that together, I think I would be able to do some amazing things, and no, I don’t mean a 34 inch muscle pass. Things even more amazing, that not even I can understand.

That theory11, That Jb and the team – that is why I want to go to magic-con 2010.

Jul 16, 2008
somewhere in New York
Hey guys, im Nikki, im 16 years old and ive been doing magic for only 2 years now. Ever since I was a little girl, about 4 years old, Ive had a deep love for magic and always wanted to learn it. I guess the reason I never pursued magic back then was because I truely believed in it when I was that little I thought it was impossible...I never knew I could.
A few years later my brother picked it up and thats when I found out I could learn and it was possible. I asked my parents but they never let me..they just said it was a guys thing and that id never practice it or work hard enough to be able to perform it. So I would just daydream about it and still saw a lot of magic shows id see a couple a year almost every year when we would go on vacations.

Finally when I turned 13 after seeing copperfield I knew I had to do something. I begged my parents to let me have one trick. So my dad finally gave in. He got me a hot rod and told me if I stuck to it for a year that hed let me continue. I did. The next year we returned to vegas and I ended up getting a beginner card magic DVD. The very day I got home the second I got in the house..before I even unpacked I put the DVD in and started learning. I loved it...loved practicing and still do.
I met a lot of awesome people through magic I never thought I would..I always listened to them if they told me I should read something I did, Id buy it the exact same day cause I knew they obviously told me to read it for a reason and it always paid off and helped me. Never in my life have I been so dedicated to something. Ive never studied anything or put so much effort into anything else..so it's almost weird when I hear people tell me how dedicated I am. Just because Ive never been with anything else.

My parents were not the most supportive at first...theyre getting better now. I remember they would yell at me for buying magic...they said Im wasting my time and money and that Id never go anywhere. I funded my entire magic education minus a $5 hot rod in the beginning...every single book and DVD I bought myself...after a while my parents tried to cut me off cause they thought I was wasting my money but I still found ways to get what I needed and advance. I was a cheerleader for 5 years, and I sacraficed it so I could put more time in for magic because cheer took over my life. My weekends and weekdays were filled and I could never put in the time I wanted for magic, Id never be able to do gigs or go to lectures or SAM meetings with it. Sadly, a lot of teenagers would just give up on something like this if they saw it was a pain and theyd have to fight with their parents over it. I never could give it up though.

After my first gig my parents started to see maybe it wasn't such a waste and they became more supportive with it. They did let me go into Canada to see Daniel Garcias lecture and thats the only time Ive ever really gotten to travel for magic before. I think it would be an awesome opportunity to get to go to Magic-Con and meet some of these guys that Ive been talking to that I know are going and that have given me good advice in the past. I think going to magic con could benefit me and ..I know I can be so much better than I am, I also know there are a lot of other people who are more experienced than me and are much better than me but Id like a chance, because this is something I want for my life. I know I want to do this professionally some day and I want to be the best I can and im willing to do what ever it takes to get there. I know I could never see myself doing anything else, and I just think this would be a good opportunity for me to get to see the pros of today up close and learn a lot from that experience.

-Nikki

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
For the judges, I updated my entry, which you can find at the top of page 4 (the 2nd post). I added towards the bottom where I discuss creativity and why it's important to me. I also added a video link towards the bottom to my performance of Twisting the Aces.

Cheers,

Casey

Nov 13, 2009
Hey Guys,

Wow this is an amazing contest! Here is my submission.

I really don't think I "deserve" to go to Magic Con but I would consider it a honer and I have a bunch of reasons why I would like to go.

I got into magic after seeing an illusion show. The flickering lights, the huge stage, the eye popping illusions, I was hooked. The first trick that facinated me was cups and balls. I could not figure out how in the world those little balls changed into those huge pieces of fruit under the cups. I wanted to learn this trick and like most young magicians I got a book at my library and starded learning.

It took off from there. I learned cups and balls from Mark Wilsons Complete Complete Course in Magic along with a couple of other effects. I performed my first show. Since that time I have been enthralled with magic. I love the art of amazing people.

The reason I would love to go to Magic Con is because I would consider it an honor to work with these legends of magic. The speakers at Magic Con are people who have layed some of the foundations of modern magic. They have changed the way I look at our art and I know I would learn tons of amazing stuff from them.

I have began trying to create some of my own material now and I think I would learn so much at Magic Con about the creative process of magic as I would be learning from some of the best creators out there. I would really enjoy delving into the creative process of magic with these amazing minds.

I would also like to go to Magic Con becasue I know that the lectures will take my illusions to the next level. Not just new material but rather the art of presenting , creating , and performing magic.

This conference is sure to be a game changer when it comes to magic and I would love to be a part of it. It would be a very great honor.

Thanks for reading my entry,

Christian

Nov 10, 2007
I have watched and read some of the submissions, and it looks like this will be a hard contest to judge for the judgers. Good Luck to everyone out there who entered the contest!

I have spent the better part of 4 days, trying to get my script, video, and editing perfect. When I 1st heard about this contest last Saturday, I quickly went to look for my video camera, when I found out it was completely broken. I went to my computer and spent 2 days writing my script. I then needed to some how get a camera, I had 500$ saved up to go to Magic - Con, and had to reach in and spend 250$ on a Camera, so I would have great quality. I knew if I was going to spend this much money and half of my savings, I would have to give it all I got.

SO I DID.

Finally finished everything, I had to do to make this video, hopefully great.

Here is My Video, I hope you enjoy :

The begginning is a little introduction, of the end of my favorite performance piece I have of myself on video, which is about 35 seconds long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhYa_8UU40c

I wanted to thank everyone once again, for all their help in my journey through magic.
My Family
IBM Ring
T11 Community
Inspirations:
Dan and Dave Buck
Chris Kenner

THANK YOU
- Donald

So many wonderful entries this far, I enjoyed a lot of them.
So my submission is divided into 2 parts. The first one is short speech of mine and my friend Nikolai (where we explain why one of us want to attend MAGIC-CON) - here it goes - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgcTenF6mbU (I beg your pardon for bad sound)

And the second part is our cardisrty video we filmed for this contest - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JGTV_JGT-8

Hope you enjoy it and I wish everyone good luck.

And of course thanks to Theory 11 for holding such amazing contest. You guys are awesome, as I always said.

Warm regards,
Alexander

Jan 30, 2010
Tusk, North Carolina
Magic-con

WOW, what an opportunity. I think that I would be a good choice for the trip of a lifetime for a couple of reasons.

Now, I know that I am still a child in the magic world, about six months in, and that I have a long way to go. However, I believe that a young mind who hasn't seen a whole lot of magic would present the most absorbent one for a convention like magic-con. I could learn a lot and utilize the lessons in my tricks and party gigs.

Also, I would love to go because, it is unlikely that I will have this kind of opportunity any time again. I live in the very far eastern area of North Carolina and I'm the only magician in my high school. On top of that, there are no magic shops around my town for at least 20 some miles. Magic Conventions do not come to my area and there is no way that I could possibly afford a ticket to Magic-Con with college fees and no job right now in the equation. I would really like to go to Magic-Con because I am deprived of fellow magicians and would really like to listen to and talk with fellow illusionists.

Anyway, thats all I have to say, I am not at liberty to upload videos to show tricks or anything of that manner. Nevertheless, I have opened up to the forum here and am asking J.B. for the opportunity to go and hear from the greatest assembly of magic minds in one area and learn from their greatness, to hopefully perform one day as a professional.

Thank you Theory 11 for even the possibility of going on a trip like this and I hope that whoever, the winner is will have a safe trip and lead a blessed life in magic. - Sincerely- Will D.

Nov 4, 2007
After a week's worth of revisions and edits, here it is. Please let me know if there is anything else I could do for you guys.

Dear Theory11,

I am a frequent member of your site, and enjoy everything that you and your team produces. As exciting as it would be for me to hang out with the theory11 team, the one person that I would want to meet right now in the whole world will be there. Juan Tamariz has so much mystery about him, and everything (and I mean everything) I have heard about this man just simply amazes me. I have had professional magicians come to me after seeing him with that look in their eyes, when they BELIEVE they just saw true magic. This is extremely hard for a magician to achieve. When I was younger, it was amazing to watch my uncle pull a coin out of my ear. Now that I perform, when I see something like Pressure or eXile, I look at it and simply wonder what the method could be. To see Juan perform, to get that look back into my eyes, that feeling you got when you were a little kid, is the reason why I need to go to MAGIC-Con.
I have been performing for several years now, doing mainly table-hopping magic at several different restaurants. I feel I have learned a lot through what Theory11 has taught me, and from DVD’s and books, but I feel it is nothing compared to what I could learn by being around the best magicians alive. Chris Kenner, Guy Hollingworth, Apollo Robbins, all of these people are geniuses to me. Not only would I get to hang around with them, but they will each be sitting and giving lectures to teach me even more. What an honor.
I would love to be able to say that I will be at this conference, unfortunately college costs are going up, and the economy is very tight around here. I actually researched cheaper hotels in the area, and looked into airfare, and it is very expensive. To be given this gift would be extraordinary. Doing contests like these, it helps drive the magic community. It shows us that you really care. (lol JB is like Santa Claus) I know it is a slim chance, but I already have worked out missing the two days of school and taking off work for that weekend. Winning this contest would probably be the best thing that has ever happened to me.

Thank You for taking the time to read this,
Matthew Knippen

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results