Favorite mentalism trick?

Nov 4, 2010
OK guys, this is my first post on the forums so far.... So I just wondered, what's you favourite mentalism trick/ act, and why?

Please comment below.

Thanks guys.

Regards, DM

Aug 31, 2007
Lacey,Washington
Serial by Matthew Mello - Impromptu, borrowed bill, anytime, anywhere. I've performed this many times now and it is a worker.

Silent Running/Run Silent Run Deep by Ben Harris - Some things don't even need a deck and the things that do, way worth it. Loads of tricks using the method. Fairly easy to do as well.

Those are really the only two mentalism effects I've been doing as of late.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
This will be good.

Personally it is my Day in Your Life Act in terms of a complete performance.

If I am doing close up I just use the first part or something similar to sneak thief (my handling based on Desire by Maven and Magician's Graphology by Nyman.)

If it is one on one it is almost always three little questions either in a Q&A type presentation or something different.

Metal bending has a nice place in my heart aswell as my selling piece that I perform to all potential clients.

Jan 16, 2008
My favorite move would have to be a solid billet peek, next to the billet switch. From there a plethora of mentalism tricks are possible.
I love Annemann's Telepathy Plus..amazing routine.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Sorry, I do MENTALISM not TRICKS... maybe... just maybe, some of you can understand what that means and explain it to those that don't (I'm no longer encouraged to even try... something about casting pearls and swine...)

My top three favorite skills within mentalism however, are solid Billet Work, solid Muscle Reading skills and solid Cold Reading ability... you need little more for a complete career.

Sep 1, 2007
Sorry, I do MENTALISM not TRICKS... maybe... just maybe, some of you can understand what that means and explain it to those that don't (I'm no longer encouraged to even try... something about casting pearls and swine...)

Welcome to my world.

As mentalism goes... whatever puts gas in my car and food on my table. Artistry comes once the bills are paid.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
did STIGMATA by WH include in mentalism??
well i used STIGMATA for around 2 years now...

Stigmata has been pased off as being "Mentalism" but in truth, it falls into the Bizarre Magick ben which, unfortunately, has gotten blended in with Mentalism for several logical reasons (the two deal with odd phenomena, the surreal, etc.) Secondly, Stigmata tends to be a Card Trick for most and on that front, the public perception seems to fall quickly on the "believability" scale simply because modern audiences will be suspicious of anything using a playing card... they will see it as a "trick" vs. a miracle 85-95% of the time (though most performers tell themselves different).

If you really want to blow people away as a Psychic Entertainer (which is what Mentalism originally was, by the way), walk into a coffee shop and start doing Muscle Reading demonstrations in combination with Psychometry Readings of personal articles (the connection works very well)... then, as a kicker, either find a hidden set of keys using Muscle Reading or let the gathered group challenge you by jotting out a list of things you must do physically... put the slips into a bowl or some such, have one drawn... the information shared with group members as to what it is you are to do and you're off to the races...
... I can assure you, this is going to take your reputation much further than any card trick you are likely to come across... including the $1,000.00 card tricks on the market.

Mar 27, 2010
Stigmata has been pased off as being "Mentalism" but in truth, it falls into the Bizarre Magick ben which, unfortunately, has gotten blended in with Mentalism for several logical reasons (the two deal with odd phenomena, the surreal, etc.) Secondly, Stigmata tends to be a Card Trick for most and on that front, the public perception seems to fall quickly on the "believability" scale simply because modern audiences will be suspicious of anything using a playing card... they will see it as a "trick" vs. a miracle 85-95% of the time (though most performers tell themselves different).

What if i use the bussines card old technique and combine it with stigmata?

If you really want to blow people away as a Psychic Entertainer (which is what Mentalism originally was, by the way), walk into a coffee shop and start doing Muscle Reading demonstrations in combination with Psychometry Readings of personal articles (the connection works very well)... then, as a kicker, either find a hidden set of keys using Muscle Reading or let the gathered group challenge you by jotting out a list of things you must do physically... put the slips into a bowl or some such, have one drawn... the information shared with group members as to what it is you are to do and you're off to the races...
... I can assure you, this is going to take your reputation much further than any card trick you are likely to come across... including the $1,000.00 card tricks on the market.

yes,, thanks you...:D

Feb 4, 2008
I agree with "A Day In Your Life." With proper patter and presentation this one is hard to beat(at least for closeup, impromptu mentalism)

In the relm of mentalism with cards(I know Blasphemy to some!) I really think Asher's "Cheek To Cheek Asher Style" is about the best.

There is way more impressive feats of mentalism that can be done on stage, especially in conjunction with pre-show work, but I don't really do stage mentalism so I can't really comment.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
What if i use the bussines card old technique and combine it with stigmata?

To me there is no way to really make Stigmata or Ashes on the Arm, etc. anything but a "Bizarre Magick" trick... BUT, that is not to say you can't slant it with a "psychic" flare... Ashes has been done that way for at least 90 or so years... it was a demonstration of "yoga" I think, originally (that was the pitch) and supposedly, the word spelled out by the ash happened because the "Yogi" could manipulate the viens in his forearm... I guess it would be a kind of biokinesis...

My "stigmata" (which I was doing waaay before the current bit) involved real blood... it was recently marketed (without my name tied to it in the credits) by someone else doing a bleeding hand/finger-tip routine... anyway, my version was done as a Psychic type bit... I exploited the religious idea behind true stigmata as part of the presentation.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results