Being a "Youtube" Magician

Jul 28, 2009
New York City
Hey everyone,

I had a question regarding youtube. I have always wanted to post videos of me doing certain effects that I would like to have my friends see. But I've always hesitated in posting videos for fear of being branded a "youtube" magician.

Does anyone have any tips on how to not be thought of as an amateur magician who just posts random videos?

Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
J

Jul 13, 2009
I got a tip, post your videos and F what people think about you over the internet. As long as you are a satisfactory magician offline who the hell cares?

gio

May 3, 2009
Poland
Vimeo is good point however its not only about site but about quality. Try to make the video looks un proffesional us You can. And why vimeo? From what ive read they have completely other engine than Youtube that not allow bad movies. I dunno how its happens but i never seen a hardly bad or stupid video on vimeo :)

Dec 20, 2010
If you don't want to be a youtube magician use vimeo.

That one cracked me up.

Anywayz, your main concern is not with uploading a video, but it's with your inability to appreciate your skill level and your fear of being criticised.

Let go of that fear.
Start with uploading a movie on th11.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Hey everyone,

I had a question regarding youtube. I have always wanted to post videos of me doing certain effects that I would like to have my friends see. But I've always hesitated in posting videos for fear of being branded a "youtube" magician.

Does anyone have any tips on how to not be thought of as an amateur magician who just posts random videos?

Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
J

You fear of what people in a forum or internet might think about you? give me a break...what matter is how you think about yourself...if you are confortable doing youtube videos then do it...no one is nobody to judge you...

Aug 20, 2010
Practicing
Use YouTube as a learning source and a way to improve yourself; meaning subscriptions and views shouldn't be your goal. It is occasionally a good place to get advice, although it is sometimes drowned out by the moronic responses.

Also, don't post tutorials.

That should be enough for people to take your seriously. Good luck!

Dec 18, 2010
imo it doesnt matter what the hell people say, if you are proud of it, it must be of decent quality so the rude commenter must be a hater. just **** it and dont respond dont delete or **** like that just take it, because it really doesnt matter.

Sep 4, 2009
I have a few videos on youtube, and i could say im proud of them. Theyre just for fun though, and i would never consider anyone a youtube magician. It's fun creating them so why not do it?

If you do end up putting videos up, send me links i would like to see

Aug 17, 2010
Hey everyone,

Just a thought, but why not perform for your friends and forget about putting videos online? Magic is best seen in person, anyway.

Jul 13, 2009
How about people stop TELLING him what to do and just make a statement on your viewpoint? It's less confrontational and makes you sound a hella lot more credible.

Magic is better being performed live argument is obviously not a sound or solid argument if you consider the impact that television magicians has had on the lay person audience as a whole. Television magicians such as Mark Wilson going to Doug Henning, David Copperfield, David Blaine, Criss Angel, Cyril, Barry and Stuart, Derren Brown etc. have all proved that the magic doesn't have to be performed live in person to be a fun and entertaining not to mention view changing.

Let me explain that last part. Lay people see GOOD magicians on television more frequently then live. Why? Convenience. You don't have to dress up, find a baby sitter for the baby, drive the dangerous roadways to a theater located in the Downtown part of the city that borders the slum of the city. If that isn't enough, you have to buy tickets and if you miss the time of the show, that's it, you missed the magic show and you are out some money. I've digressed a bit, for this isn't my point about how TV magic is view changing. As a larger audience sees Mark Wilson on the old tube, which youtube totally is a play on the TV tube, they think that all magicians are tuxedos boxes and pretty ladies.Then Doug Henning changed the views on magic again, not to mention brought magic back to the forefront of entertainment, do I even need to describe how different the changes from Mark Wilson to Doug Henning is? Mystery mentalist performer who have supernatural abilities have changed to psychology majors and pseudo science explanations of extraordinary magic trickery.

Youtube I feel is the best form of television media. If you are looking to see a news clip of your local newscaster flubbing an interview, you can find it. If you want to watch magic you will find it! It's the perfect way to see new talent that you never knew existed. With that said, youtube is saturated with magic videos that really really suck. The trick for someone who wants to be a stand out youtube magician, you'll have to do something different and unique enough to get noticed. But anyway, those are just my thoughts. Have a great day.

*dings a bell*

I have a Venti, triple, skinny 6 pump hazelnut, soy, stirred, no foam, iced Late ready at the bar! OH! With whipped cream!

Jul 28, 2009
New York City
Thanks everyone! Luis, madhatter, and KeoSilver, your posts opened up a new way of thinking for me, albeit one that I should already be thinking by.

Thank you! All the advice is welcome. Keep posting please!

Aug 17, 2010
Magic is better being performed live argument is obviously not a sound or solid argument if you consider the impact that television magicians has had on the lay person audience as a whole.

So let me get this straight;

Since magic has been performed on TV
And it's been entertaining
Therefore, TV magic is better than live magic? Bad argument.

Since TV is more convenient than going to see a live performance
Therefore, live performances are worse? Terrible argument. Seriously, read a book on critical thinking or something. I mean, by that reasoning, nobody would be at a football game, or musical theatre, or even movies. Just stay at home and watch TV.

Lots of people see magic at restaurants (with the kids, no sitter needed, in a nice part of town), or buskers on street corners, at fairs and festivals and many other places.

I stand by the opinion that it's best seen live (which DOES NOT mean that it does not work on TV or YouTube, just that it does not work AS WELL). I think the examples of decades-long runs in theatres in Las Vegas (Lance Burton et al), that David Copperfield has had far more live performances than televised ones, that Doug Henning had far more tours that TV specials, and that there's only a few TV magicians currently, while there are far more people earning incomes performing live. I stand by the opinion, expressed by many professionals that it is best seen live, that misdirecting a camera is not the same as the eye, and that like theatre, music, and sports, it's best seen in person.

Jul 13, 2009
So let me get this straight;

Since magic has been performed on TV
And it's been entertaining
Therefore, TV magic is better than live magic? Bad argument.

No that isn't what I said at all. How about reading my entire post instead of converting, wrongly I might add, into a Strawman argument.

I said television magicians have had great influence on the view of magic from a laymen's perspective. I went through all the nitty gritty using examples of some of the greatest television magicians in history.

Since TV is more convenient than going to see a live performance
Therefore, live performances are worse? Terrible argument. Seriously, read a book on critical thinking or something. I mean, by that reasoning, nobody would be at a football game, or musical theatre, or even movies. Just stay at home and watch TV.

Again a straw man argument, stop trying to find ways to condescend my opinion, you are fabricating your own rendition of my post and completely making yourself look like a fool. "Live performances are worse..."? Okay I am going to be rather blunt here and say, When the **** did I say that? Your view about sporting events theater and what not, though are correct outside of the subtext of the conversation I am trying to have, are beside the point that I was originally trying to make. Also for the record, I'd rather watch a basketball, football, broadway play, etc. at home because A) I have the best seat in the house, not to mention the best sights and angles. If I were to go see a live performance however, I'd be doing it mostly for the interaction with the crowd or because I said one of my life goals is to see a Cirque Du Solei show or a Show on broadway. How about you get off the tower of self importance and get your head out of the clouds and actually read and understand what I am saying. Savy?

Lots of people see magic at restaurants (with the kids, no sitter needed, in a nice part of town), or buskers on street corners, at fairs and festivals and many other places.

Lots of people compared to the viewers of ABC, AE, Fox (do they still have magic shows? I know they had World's Greatest Magic...) is nothing. Television helps in spreading and making the general public aware that magic is still around and evolving. Sure the buskers and whatever else you want to throw at me perform for a small crowd of people. But who is more memorable to an audience? A great magician standing on the street corner performing for coin or Criss Angel?

I stand by the opinion that it's best seen live (which DOES NOT mean that it does not work on TV or YouTube, just that it does not work AS WELL). I think the examples of decades-long runs in theatres in Las Vegas (Lance Burton et al), that David Copperfield has had far more live performances than televised ones, that Doug Henning had far more tours that TV specials, and that there's only a few TV magicians currently, while there are far more people earning incomes performing live. I stand by the opinion, expressed by many professionals that it is best seen live, that misdirecting a camera is not the same as the eye, and that like theatre, music, and sports, it's best seen in person.

Congrats you've completely missed all of my examples and entire point of my original post. Do you not think that Lance Burton, David Copperfield, Doug Henning, where known world wide before the television specials? The only reason why I named dropped those figures in magic before was to explain the WAY THEY IMPACTED THE VIEWS OF MAGIC TO LAYMEN AT LARGE!!! Can I be anymore clearer? I am not dealing with THE STUPID argument that live magic is better then magic viewed at home. It's all still ****ing magic.

You can stand by the argument expressed by "many professionals...", but that isn't my point in the slightest. Youtube magicians aren't always just on ****ing youtube! Some of them are actual real professionals. If you were a smart professional and want a way to get your name out there, yotube is the best way to go! Cyril wasn't widely known here in the states until YOUTUBE. All of your arguments in your closing statement are old and tired held on to like it is a bible. TIMES CHANGE and it seems magicians and the Vatican can't come to terms with that statement.

Aug 17, 2010
I'm trying to understand your reasoning, Keo. It's not unheard of to try and rephrase a viewpoint in clearer terms to understand it. My apologies if it was off base.

You said

"Magic is better being performed live argument is obviously not a sound or solid argument if you consider the impact that television magicians has had on the lay person audience as a whole"

which doesn't really make a counter argument. I'm still waiting to hear why magic on TV is better than seeing it performed live.

You went on to say "Television magicians such as Mark Wilson going to Doug Henning, David Copperfield, David Blaine, Criss Angel, Cyril, Barry and Stuart, Derren Brown etc. have all proved that the magic doesn't have to be performed live in person to be a fun and entertaining"

which is true (and something I agreed with in my previous post), but does not mean that it's better than a live performance, nor does it expose the flaw in my opinion. Is your starw man that you think I'm arguing against TV and YouTube? It's not the case.

I'm trying to understand your opinion. I stated that I think that magic is a better experience when it's seen live, and you've said that it's been entertaining when it's on TV, and it's more convenient (points with which I have agreed). But you haven't said why it's a bad opinion.

We weren't talking about "impact" or "fame" or "convenience" or any of the other things you've thrown into the conversation.

You continued on to say "If you were a smart professional and want a way to get your name out there, yotube is the best way to go! Cyril wasn't widely known here in the states until YOUTUBE"

-which still does nothing to address if magic is better experienced live or on tv.

All I've said is that it's a better experience live, and you've said TV gets more viewers, YouTube is a way to get your name out, and that TV is more convenient. Still waiting for why magic is not a better experience when seen live, rather than on TV, and why it's an unsound position.

Then you said "I am not dealing with THE STUPID argument that live magic is better then magic viewed at home" - so why is it stupid? Will you finally say why it is not better when seen live? Isn't this an ad hominem? It's at least poisoning the well.

Would you really pass on tickets to see Cyril perform live in your hometown and just watch him on YouTube?

I'm willing to change my opinions on anything when I get a compelling argument in favour of a better position. You haven't really explained with "magic is best seen live" is a bad opinion, and I apologize if I misinterpreted your post. In terms of convenience, audience size and as a promotional tool, of YouTube and the rest have enormous advantages - who couldn't agree with that? But in terms of an experience, I believe that magic is a better experience live. I've seen lectures by people whose work I own on DVD, and it was far more engaging, deceptive and entertaining seeing them perform live.

Visually, people can only really focus on an area the size of a grapefruit held at arm's length (not counting peripheral vision, which misses all sorts of detail). This means that live, people can only really bring intense concentration on an area slightly larger than your hand. On a monitor or television, that same grapefruit-sized area can be the performer from the waist up, depending on the shot. That makes things like a top change almost impossible, when the viewer can concentrate on a much larger area, or can view it frame by frame to dissect what had happened.

And speaking of straw man arguments, I never said that YouTube, or magic on TV was bad, or wasn't good - just that it's not quite as good as magic seen live. It might be best to start a thread if you want to discuss the impact of new media on magic, rather than continue to hijack this one.

Jul 13, 2009
Now before I start I want to tell everyone who is reading the thread to LOOK OUT FOR REPEAETED POINTS!!

I'm trying to understand your reasoning, Keo. It's not unheard of to try and rephrase a viewpoint in clearer terms to understand it. My apologies if it was off base.

Stop trying to understand step back and read all of my post as a whole and DO understand it. Ontop of that, don't post something if you are unclear about the points being posted.

You said

"Magic is better being performed live argument is obviously not a sound or solid argument if you consider the impact that television magicians has had on the lay person audience as a whole"

which doesn't really make a counter argument. I'm still waiting to hear why magic on TV is better than seeing it performed live.

Well if you are waiting, you already missed it. In the same post I went on to say this:

Magic is better being performed live argument is obviously not a sound or solid argument if you consider the impact that television magicians has had on the lay person audience as a whole. Television magicians such as Mark Wilson going to Doug Henning, David Copperfield, David Blaine, Criss Angel, Cyril, Barry and Stuart, Derren Brown etc. have all proved that the magic doesn't have to be performed live in person to be a fun and entertaining not to mention view changing.

The argument being that there is no one performance media that is better then the other! It also introduced a new point that for the most part I was addressing in the rest of my post. Televised magic shows give the general public access to what a magic show is like and what to expect when they go to see a magician. I then go on to explain the difference between each generation of magician focused around one central image of that time period. Furthermore, in the most recent post I added more examples of how television magicians have influenced the laymen community as a whole.

...which is true (and something I agreed with in my previous post), but does not mean that it's better than a live performance, nor does it expose the flaw in my opinion. Is your starw man that you think I'm arguing against TV and YouTube? It's not the case.

No I do not think that at all bud, I was talking about that in general and not directly at you. You are arguing Live vs Recorded magic. NOW to continue the conversation, I've given my points on the pros of live magic Vs recorded magic. Let me sum it all up for you:

Before I continue I am throwing these pros and cons through the eyes of a laymen.

Pros of Live performances:
You enjoy it with everyone else “ If I were to go see a live performance however, I'd be doing it mostly for the interaction with the crowd”
Maybe a one time chance in a lifetime
You got a good story, (That is debatable depending on who you see.)

Cons of a Live performance:
Not every seat in the house is the best seat to view magic.
Generally no food or drink is aloud in formal seating arrangements.
Social pressures keep you in your seat. (Bathroom, refreshment, etc)
You have to battle for a parking
You have to brave the road ways
You have to leave the parking lot

Pros of a recorder (youtube, television) performance of a magic show/set/trick

It's convenient, watch on your own time.
It can be viewed many times without having to go buy a ticket to see it again.
It's captured memories
Comfort, Viewing a magic special with the family can be an entirely better experience then going out and watching a show.

Cons:

You don't get the same spark when an audience is present.
You can view it over and over
Could be taken away and lost forever

As you can see, this isn't a complete list and is biased toward me since most of this is based off of my experience. But to say live is better then not is silly because they each have their own Cons.

I'm trying to understand your opinion. I stated that I think that magic is a better experience when it's seen live, and you've said that it's been entertaining when it's on TV, and it's more convenient (points with which I have agreed). But you haven't said why it's a bad opinion.

You know I just reread over the entire post and I just realized I wasn't singling you out at all. However, I was criticizing the entire part of the community that recorded magic=Bad and live performance=BEST.

I feel it is a bad idea because once again, there are good points to both forms of entertainment. Youtube is like a television, which is why I brought up television magicians in the first place. Then I continued to list out major television magicians. Lets talk about David Blaine, he's had emotional impact with people that have actually possibly changed laymen's personal view points. When, I ask, has a live MAGIC performance effect people in that way? Now I say magic because I understand some cults and religions may have been based around magical trickery tactics. That is another can of worms that I personally do not feel confident enough to open.

There is no one way that is better to view magic.

FINALLY!

We weren't talking about "impact" or "fame" or "convenience" or any of the other things you've thrown into the conversation.

You continued on to say "If you were a smart professional and want a way to get your name out there, yotube is the best way to go! Cyril wasn't widely known here in the states until YOUTUBE"

-which still does nothing to address if magic is better experienced live or on tv.

Gosh darn it, I retract my finally. If you don't factor in impact and convenience, I didn't include fame because I don't like that word, into why you feel one is better then the other then what is the point? What would be the point of performing a magic show if you aren't doing it for entertainment impact? What would be the point of putting yourself on youtube if it wasn't a convenient way to get your name recognized?

All I've said is that it's a better experience live, and you've said TV gets more viewers, YouTube is a way to get your name out, and that TV is more convenient. Still waiting for why magic is not a better experience when seen live, rather than on TV, and why it's an unsound position.

Because it isn't a strong argument because it could be dispelled for all the reasons that I've posted above! Furthermore, all of my reasons are in all of my posts.

[quoe]Then you said "I am not dealing with THE STUPID argument that live magic is better then magic viewed at home" - so why is it stupid? Will you finally say why it is not better when seen live? Isn't this an ad hominem? It's at least poisoning the well.[/quote]

I've already stated why live isn't superior to recorded...

Would you really pass on tickets to see Cyril perform live in your hometown and just watch him on YouTube?
No and that is a silly example and also supports my points onto why recorded video on youtube is better then seeing it live. Let me explain.

If Cyril came to my town and I had no flipping idea what a Cyril was, ie there were no youtube videos or promo videos, I would not buy a ticket. Why? I've never heard of them, since he hasn't been to the town before no one knows if his show is worth the money and time, ie there is no word of mouth reviews.

If there was no online videos, reviews, nothing on Cyril other then a website, yeah I'd pass on him.

Now if it was David Copperfield, I'd buy a ticket I a heart beat because, even though I was geographically cut off from the mainland at a young age. I heard about his show and what he could do like fly over the grand canyon. Hell I wanted to figure out a way to fly over the Grand Canyon of the pacific on my home island.

I'm willing to change...In terms of convenience, audience size and as a promotional tool, of YouTube and the rest have enormous advantages - who couldn't agree with that? But in terms of an experience, I believe that magic is a better experience live....Visually, people can only really focus on an area the size of a grapefruit...That makes things like a top change almost impossible, when the viewer can concentrate on a much larger area, or can view it frame by frame to dissect what had happened.

If a spectator is burning your hands, a top change is near impossible. I don't understand if you are finally throwing a different point into the mix or trying to do something else.

I really don't care about your opinion because it is quite meaningless to me nor am I trying to change your views. In fact if you'll notice I wasn't really talking to one person to begin with. You however decided to question my position and I tried to explain it further. Your answers that you seek will come faster when you realize, I don't give to ****s about this debate. I was neutral in my original posts and still am neutral on why Live is better then Recorded You're not going to get a satisfaction of a straight answer when way or the other because I do not care.

And speaking of straw man arguments, I never said that YouTube, or magic on TV was bad, or wasn't good - just that it's not quite as good as magic seen live. It might be best to start a thread if you want to discuss the impact of new media on magic, rather than continue to hijack this one.

“Just a thought, but why not perform for your friends and forget about putting videos online? Magic is best seen in person, anyway. “

This suggests to me that you have that kind of mentality. Then you opened your mouth and confirmed it. You aren't the only one I've heard say it, which is why ORIGINALLY I didn't single you out. Anyway, Nah, I think this tangent was more informative then what the originally posted. I am not going to clutter the forum with another thread whose use is only between you and I. Furthermore, because I don't care about the subject, why would I start a thread when I am ending it here.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results