A question for every magician?

May 4, 2009
Get used to disappointment then.

Hmmm I might be wrong but is that you trying to indicate that me (whom you never met or seen at least as far as I am aware) probably sucks?? Even If that would be true (maybe it is!) that would have been just a lucky guess by you! And we shouldnt do wild inappropriate guesses about each other! :)
And regarding your other statements, If I am desperate right now its not because of this thread. And I was never justifying bad performances. Cards doesnt equal bad performances and no-cards doesnt equal good performance, but I am sure we agree on that point.
And what I am on about, I just think that a deck of cards alongside a couple of coins are probably the most effective props that you can carry around with you when measured by the possibilities they offer compared to the space they take up in your pockets. Thats it. Still, nobody forces you to follow my recommendations. ;)

Sep 1, 2007
Hmmm I might be wrong but is that you trying to indicate that me (whom you never met or seen at least as far as I am aware) probably sucks?? Even If that would be true (maybe it is!) that would have been just a lucky guess by you! And we shouldnt do wild inappropriate guesses about each other! :)

Um... no. I was saying the most people do not improve because they lack the initiative and ambition to do what needs to be done.

And what I am on about, I just think that a deck of cards alongside a couple of coins are probably the most effective props that you can carry around with you when measured by the possibilities they offer compared to the space they take up in your pockets. Thats it. Still, nobody forces you to follow my recommendations. ;)

No, you said that cards are more versatile as if I had at some point suggested that a deck of cards is a one-trick pony. I think I would have remembered saying something like that.

As for your assertion of possibilities compared to space, what about a pen? And I'm willing to bet I get more mileage out of my coin purse and a couple of effects than most of the card nerds get out of their decks and endless repertoire of useless crap.

May 4, 2009
Um... no. I was saying the most people do not improve because they lack the initiative and ambition to do what needs to be done.

No, you said that cards are more versatile as if I had at some point suggested that a deck of cards is a one-trick pony. I think I would have remembered saying something like that.

As for your assertion of possibilities compared to space, what about a pen? And I'm willing to bet I get more mileage out of my coin purse and a couple of effects than most of the card nerds get out of their decks and endless repertoire of useless crap.

Okay I misunderstood you than.
And yeah not everyone has enough ambition. But again this takes us away from what we`re talking about. Its not that becoming good with cards is easy and needs no ambition. I started out because I was interested in cardcheats (not that I ever did it thou :rolleyes:) and their moves and stuff. And thats not something you learn in a week or two.
But well maybe we should just stop this conversation it seems to go nowhere. I am not trying to convince you of something anyway. I just thought that some people in this thread seemed very patronizing about cards and you were one of them.
And a pen is great! I dont know how much you can do with a pen (I know it can write!) and so I may not judge how it compares to coins or cards but yeah I can imagine its quite a good prop too!

Bizzaro

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Vegas
www.smappdooda.com
I would like to point out the original post called for NOTHING AT ALL at yer disposal. Gimmicks, cards, coins, etc. As in, walk over to a table, grab some damn sugar packets and do sponge balls (What you can do sponge balls with sugar packets? Yes you can.) Learn some lapping techniques so you can sit down WITH them (Not at them) and amaze them.

Flatware mutilation, ashes on the palm with lipstick. For the love of some sort of god (I say we go with Odin this time) get off your pasteboard high horses and challenge yourselves sometime.

You ability to buy magic doesn't make you a magician nor a good performer.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
But well maybe we should just stop this conversation it seems to go nowhere. I am not trying to convince you of something anyway. I just thought that some people in this thread seemed very patronizing about cards and you were one of them.
!

I think that you got owned, but Im not that sure....(sarcasm)

That's why I lke Paul harris stuff so much, it is simple and to the point and a lot of times he makes makig happen with normal things...

And to be sincere, I am mainly a card guy, but that's because you can add a lo of patter or twist to the routines and that's something that I like a lot.

Dec 30, 2008
I would like to point out the original post called for NOTHING AT ALL at yer disposal. Gimmicks, cards, coins, etc. As in, walk over to a table, grab some damn sugar packets and do sponge balls (What you can do sponge balls with sugar packets? Yes you can.) Learn some lapping techniques so you can sit down WITH them (Not at them) and amaze them.

Flatware mutilation, ashes on the palm with lipstick. For the love of some sort of god (I say we go with Odin this time) get off your pasteboard high horses and challenge yourselves sometime.

You ability to buy magic doesn't make you a magician nor a good performer.

I'm sorry, I thought we had something to work with if it was nearby. But thanks for the advice.

May 4, 2009
I think that you got owned, but Im not that sure....(sarcasm)

Well thats another problem, that people tend to think that conversations have to be about "winning". :rolleyes:
Because that way you wont even take the arguments of the other guy into consideration and chances are you might learn something if you do.

I would like to point out the original post called for NOTHING AT ALL at yer disposal.

I would like to point out that the original post called for a situation that a working professional shouldn't be caught in. I said you shouldn't be in a situation that you get asked to perform and have nothing ready.

I always keep a deck of cards, three silver coins, a shell, and my wallet with me. My wallet is a flaming one with a built in card-to option.

Doesn't have to be a full hour show, but you should ALWAYS have something.

There's no high horse here. Bottom line, always be ready to amaze.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
Not to rain on anyones parade but this question is inherently flawed. The choice of your completely propless performance should be dependent on who your are performing for. If I got thrown up on stage I would use Touching on Hoy, however if it was just for one person I would do something completely different maybe muscle reading or a watch routine. But as many people have said you can easily find coins, lipstick, cigarettes etc. Enough to do at least something impressive.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Ok guys, Cedric's here. I'm putting myself, as well as the rest of you on the spot. If you were caught off guard, lets say totally unprepared:

A spectator comes up to you and ask you to perform a quick effect for either them or their group of friends, and at your disposal are no coins, no cards, no gimmicks or anything, what effect would be your "ACE" to help salvage the moment??? If you have one, list here.

This is the original post. He's not asking specifically professionals and says the spectator walks up to YOU.Not that your thrown on stage. It means more in a casual setting and you dont have anything at all.(Cards,gimmicks,whatever)
Dont respond with "I always have cards with me!" because thats not what he's asking. He's asking to put yourself in that situation and seeing what you would come up with.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
This is the original post. He's not asking specifically professionals and says the spectator walks up to YOU.Not that your thrown on stage. It means more in a casual setting and you dont have anything at all.(Cards,gimmicks,whatever)
Dont respond with "I always have cards with me!" because thats not what he's asking. He's asking to put yourself in that situation and seeing what you would come up with.

So you're a puppet? You just dance whenever somebody says so?

If you don't want to perform, you don't have to. Just because they ask for something, doesn't mean they will get it. "We can't all get what we want."

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
So you're a puppet? You just dance whenever somebody says so?

If you don't want to perform, you don't have to. Just because they ask for something, doesn't mean they will get it. "We can't all get what we want."

When did I once say that you have to do magic for them? I was just reinstating his question because some people were not answering it under the questions conditions. Geez man,i honestly think you cant read.
Just because you dont have these props doesnt mean you cant perform magic or that one doesnt want to. His question is trying to get you to think on the spot.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
When did I once say that you have to do magic for them? I was just reinstating his question because some people were not answering it under the questions conditions. Geez man,i honestly think you cant read.
Just because you dont have these props doesnt mean you cant perform magic or that one doesnt want to. His question is trying to get you to think on the spot.

Pretty much ANYTHING can be a prop or a gimmick, so the question itself is flawed.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Pretty much ANYTHING can be a prop or a gimmick, so the question itself is flawed.

Jesus..he means what can you do right then and there.With things that are in that situation. And yeah,anything can be a prop,thats a no-brainer.A gimmick is hard to make on the spot with what you have laying around.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Jesus..he means what can you do right then and there.With things that are in that situation. And yeah,anything can be a prop,thats a no-brainer.A gimmick is hard to make on the spot with what you have laying around.

Well if you're MacGyver (which most magicians are.) then coming up with a prop or a gimmick on the spot shouldn't be a problem.

Oct 24, 2008
Savannah, GA
I think we're just instigating now. We all know what he meant when he asked question. It's hypothetical. We're only just pretending. It's for fun. Either pretend and answer the question, or don't. Circling the actual question with ego statements is just making everyone roll their eyes.

Come on. Just play along. No one's doubting you guys are super peachy fine performers with your own standards and ethics. We're just playing make-believe here.

Bizzaro

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Vegas
www.smappdooda.com
I would like to point out that the original post called for a situation that a working professional shouldn't be caught in.

I don't think he meant at a paying gig. There are a TON of working pros who don't carry **** on them. There are even times when you might happen to have emptied your pockets before a stage gig, then went out to eat and you are caught un-aware.

As for the "Dance monkey, dance", it is true you have the ability to say no, BUT why bother? If you truly love doing magic and want to whore yourself out to everyone (Because you NEVER know) then might as well do one or two easy things with what is available.

Sep 1, 2007
Well if you're MacGyver (which most magicians are.) then coming up with a prop or a gimmick on the spot shouldn't be a problem.

I stopped wearing a mullet ages ago. And the court made me promise to stop blowing things up. So you can understand my wanting to keep your comparison at arm's length.

I don't think he meant at a paying gig. There are a TON of working pros who don't carry **** on them. There are even times when you might happen to have emptied your pockets before a stage gig, then went out to eat and you are caught un-aware.

As for the "Dance monkey, dance", it is true you have the ability to say no, BUT why bother? If you truly love doing magic and want to whore yourself out to everyone (Because you NEVER know) then might as well do one or two easy things with what is available.

Both valid points. I find it borderline OCD that people are suggesting I carry a fire wallet, deck of cards, and coin shells at the gym.

And having the power to say no isn't nearly as important as knowing when it's appropriate to say no.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results