Awesome Experience

Nov 11, 2009
Hey guys I just got back from our local Pizza Hut where I did some magic. I had a great time! I had never really done anything like that before, until now I had just done stuff for kids at school. I got 45 dollars in tips in 3 hours and gave away 15 business cards so I think I did pretty good.

I just wanted to ask advice on a couple of things
1. how many tricks would you recommend doing to each table?
2. how do you handle little kids that follow you around?
3. and lastly, how do you point out that theres a tip jar w/out sounding rude?

Thanx for reading this Have a good night :)

Although I've never actually gotten paid for out of school performances before, I believe I can still answer your questions.

1. I personally prefer do a few routines that follow up each other. For example, you might perform Queens (by dbsquared), then use them to perform collectors, and then do another routine involving the four queens. This allows each routine to flow evenly because you're basing each routine on the four queens. However, I would say around five quick tricks would also do the job. You don't want to perform too little for your audience to be like, "Ok...that's it?" but you don't want to bombard them with an overload of tricks. Around five (quick) tricks or three routines should be efficient enough to keep your audiences entertained.

2. Hahaha. How adorable! I would something like, "Ok fellas and fellowettes. I only have a little bit of "magic" left and I have to save some to show the other people here, but I'll show you guys just one more trick okay?" (Cheesy, I know, but it works!) Show them a little something and that should work...but you'll always have those who will stick to you like glue. Their parents or guardians might see them bothering you and will usually call them back.

3. "Thanks guys. If you guys enjoyed my performance, please feel free to contribute to the tip jar. I hope you guys have a great afternoon/evening!" That should do the trick. Haha. Get it? The trick?.....um..yeah....

Hope this helps!

;D

Nov 8, 2007
I think between 3 and 5 is ideal, depending on how long your effects are and how into the magic your audience seems. I usually open with Lit when I do walk-around, which alone has three moments of magic built into it. After that I usually do one middle effect, then go to a closer. If the table is really into it, though, I might add another effect or two in the middle. And sometimes depending on conversation or the situation I might do something else. But I think 3 or 4 is a good number to shoot for.

"Hey, guys. If you go take a seat I'll come back before you leave and show you something really magical I rarely show anyone. It's something really special but you have to go sit down and wait."

3. And lastly, how do you point out that theres a tip jar w/out sounding rude?
I wouldn't put up a tip jar or solicit people for tips. If someone offers you one, take it. Otherwise I wouldn't make blatant mention of it.

Hope that helps. Have fun with your gig. :)

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx

maybe 5, and I really try to do tricks with other things than cards...and the final trick must create a souvenir...I think that is really convenient since it helps them to have a good memory of the performance...

I Kick them so they are afraid of me and don´t get near anymore...just kidding...I think the other suggestions should work great as is something I also do

3. And lastly, how do you point out that theres a tip jar w/out sounding rude?

I really don´t use a tip jar, since the people usually don´t like to stand and go to the tip jar...

My hat line is as follows..."thanks for your attention...now if any of you guys want to colaborate to buy more decks...this is the moment" I say it in a funny and friendly way...everyone laughs and then tip me..

Sep 3, 2007
Hey guys I just got back from our local Pizza Hut where I did some magic.

I used to work at pizza hut as a delivery boy. You saying you did some magic and I didn't see it???

You just doing the magic at pizza hut. Try chucky cheese next time.

Nov 11, 2009
Mat La Vore;290899 [B said:
3. And lastly, how do you point out that theres a tip jar w/out sounding rude?[/B]
I wouldn't put up a tip jar or solicit people for tips. If someone offers you one, take it. Otherwise I wouldn't make blatant mention of it

Well the problem with that is that I am trying to raise money for a mission trip this summer and right now thats my only way of geting money

Nov 7, 2009
Hey guys I just got back from our local Pizza Hut where I did some magic. I had a great time! I had never really done anything like that before, until now I had just done stuff for kids at school. I got 45 dollars in tips in 3 hours and gave away 15 business cards so I think I did pretty good.

1. 3-5 short tricks or 2 long ones
2. Tell them if they sit down you will show them a trick soon
3. for example your doing coins. Pull out the coin purse and say this is my tip bag... Lets try something with some of these coins then go onto the effect. Or if its cards let them sign the card for the trick and at the end give it to them. They will usually tip you for this.

Hope I helped :)

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Well the problem with that is that I am trying to raise money for a mission trip this summer and right now thats my only way of geting money

I really agree with you....sometimes people just don´t give any tip unless they are told in a very indirect way...of course there are some people that gives without telling them anything, they just do it because...but unfortunately this is not the case with everybody..

I do suggest you find yourself a nice and friendly "Hat Line" to get the tips, as I stated before, it´s better to receive the money right there and in that moment than having a tip jar...

and I do have a rule with me about magic...magic must pay magic, and I don´t spend a cent in magic from my money...I spend in magic with the money I get doing magic (tips,gigs, and from things I sell)...I suggest you do the same after you get back of the mission trip...

When I do restaurant work, I tend to do a max of 3-5 tricks, depending how quick they are. For instance I nearly always start with a quick force just so they know what to expect and that I mean business, then I move on to the hardcore stuff like a triumph or do as I do. I also like doing something with loops or pressure if I get a chance.

The kids are easy. I learnt balloon modelling. Seriously. I am not a childrens entertainer so why should they expect it from me. I tell all my clients I do balloon models for children and that makes them happier than any magic trick cause its a balloon model and what kid doesn't love them? This is also how I get tips as mostly the parents realise balloons cost money so they 'contribute' quietly.

As I live in the UK, I don't live off tips which I understand restaurant magicians in America do (If I'm wrong, please correct me) but I still think that you cannot force someone to give you a tip if they don't want to. It's tricky over here to get one cause people know I'm being paid by the restaurant, but since any tips the staff get aren't split to me, I keep any tips I'm given instead of putting them in the pot. I realise that this isn't the thing to do, but the manager of my restaurant said I could as its my money.

I hope this helps, and honestly learn a few models, it will make your life a hell of a lot easier and restaurants are more likely to book you if you can.

Simon_Magic

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I normally perform 3-4 effects per table and come back later if it is a reception and it was a great table who really enjoyed the magic. Just enough to wet their appetite but don't over stay your welcome.

I have had the whole kid thing happen before and it does get annoying because if they follow you around long enough...they start yelling out what is going to happen when you get to the effect that they might have seen 15 minutes prior.

Matt's idea of, "If you go sit down I'll come back and show you something extra magical / special" works most of the time and other times you just want to punch the kid in the face and say go away...ha ha. ( I would never do that..it was a joke)

I have never set out tip jars, I only accept them when someone offers them, but I do understand that you are trying to raise money for a mission trip so you may have to be a little more blatantly obvious.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
When I do restaurant work, I tend to do a max of 3-5 tricks, depending how quick they are. For instance I nearly always start with a quick force just so they know what to expect and that I mean business, then I move on to the hardcore stuff like a triumph or do as I do. I also like doing something with loops or pressure if I get a chance.

The kids are easy. I learnt balloon modelling. Seriously. I am not a childrens entertainer so why should they expect it from me. I tell all my clients I do balloon models for children and that makes them happier than any magic trick cause its a balloon model and what kid doesn't love them? This is also how I get tips as mostly the parents realise balloons cost money so they 'contribute' quietly.

As I live in the UK, I don't live off tips which I understand restaurant magicians in America do (If I'm wrong, please correct me) but I still think that you cannot force someone to give you a tip if they don't want to. It's tricky over here to get one cause people know I'm being paid by the restaurant, but since any tips the staff get aren't split to me, I keep any tips I'm given instead of putting them in the pot. I realise that this isn't the thing to do, but the manager of my restaurant said I could as its my money.

I hope this helps, and honestly learn a few models, it will make your life a hell of a lot easier and restaurants are more likely to book you if you can.

Simon_Magic

well, that advice is really good!!! I mean the one about the ballon models...I might consider to learn some models

AWESOME JOB! Way to go man! Just remember with those business cards: They are tools. Any time you give one out it is because someone has potential interest in hiring you, so don't give out a card without getting their information or card in return. You should always take the initiative to contact them in a few days, thank them for being at your show, and follow up on the booking interest. If you leave it to them to contact you, then they may never do it, and that's a business card you wasted that could have gone to a booking client. Just food for thought.

To answer your questions:
1) I would recommend doing between five and seven minutes per table. The ideal time to perform is between their order being taken and before their food arrives. That's always an annoying dead time at a restaurant anyway. If you pay close attention to the flow of traffic at the place then you'll start to get the rhythm down. You don't want to perform while they are eating, because their attentions won't be on you. Five to seven minutes for me is usually between four and five effects. However I usually carry two sets of effects on me, that way I can change it up half way through the night and people will see a fresh show even if they seen me before. One thing that works for me, is to have a very visual opening effect that gets their attention and establishes you as their entertainment (Ie: Fire Wallet or similar) and one or two effects on stand by for little kids, such as sponge balls or similar.

2) How to handle kids that follow you around? I would just politely tell them, so as their parents can hear, that you love the attention, but also need to give the same amount of attention to everyone else. Explain that you are trying to work and they need to sit down. Usually, the parent will chime in at that moment to wrangle the kids back. Mom and Dad will understand what you are saying better than the kid, and usually will help aid your escape. Just be polite about it, you'll not have too many issues.

3) How to inform people that there is a tip jar without being rude? That's a good question! There are two usual schools of thought on this. Either you flat out inform the guest that you work for tips, or you don't. Some people think it gouche to ask for tips directly. If you're in that crowed then I recommend closing with a money effect. It sends the message subliminally and usually leaves people reaching for their wallets. If you are going to work with a tip jar, then set it down on the tables edge when you approach. Never call attention to it, but leave it there for a moment while you pack up to move to another table. Most adults who would tip will do so at this time, and without prompting. You can also try using an out line to send the message that you're done with the act and are about to move on.

"Thanks folks, I hope you enjoy the night, I'll be around if you need anything. Have a good evening."

Don't expect or wait for it though. If they aren't reaching for their wallets when your done, they probably won't tip, so just move on. I've also seen magicians walk around with a bright yellow button on their jacket that says "I work for tips." but I think that's a bit tacky personally. However, it should be said, it works.

All the best to you mate.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results