jonraiker

vp of development
Team member
Aug 5, 2007
Florida
instagram.com
Quick question:

What's worse for magic:

crappy performances for real people or Youtube tutorials/ performances just for the webcam

What do you guys think?
With the former, you're at least gaining real world experience that will aid you in developing your character, routines, etc. One can evaluate where you may have gone wrong based on your audiences reactions and such - then work to fix any issue(s) in future performances.

With the latter... well.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Wait how old is he? like 12 -14? If I did that when I was that age, I would have been grounded for life and most likely thrown out of the house.

The reason Jonathans insults and jokes work is pretty much because you kind of expect him to do em and well he's made a career out of them.

Some 12-14 year old kid with no talent once so ever.. Yeah.. Not so much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 20, 2008
This is why i stay at theory11. Entertainment.

This guy is frickin retarded. His neighbours were obviously foreigners and didnt quite catch on what the hell he was saying.

Bah.

Jul 16, 2008
somewhere in New York
theres too many threads with horrible youtube preformances...he probly dosent know any better..so you guys should like stop making fun of him. lets say u were jus starting out and put up a video..would u like it if someone put it on an online magic forum you didnt know about and started making fun of u?

Nikki

Sep 20, 2008
When i was starting out, i put out videos- but i made sure i didnt flash. The very least it was only colour changes- let alone full set effects such as colour monte which requires Patter.

jonraiker

vp of development
Team member
Aug 5, 2007
Florida
instagram.com
Going to go ahead and reopen this. Although I don't agree with the posting of these poor performances (especially when the creator of the video isn't even around to discuss / debate), we have hope that it can lead to some intelligent discussion regarding what NOT to do in performance - or what you would do differently - and why.

That said, we must keep things professional, respectful, and civilized at all times. Please keep that in mind.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Going to go ahead and reopen this. Although I don't agree with the posting of these poor performances (especially when the creator of the video isn't even around to discuss / debate), we have hope that it can lead to some intelligent discussion regarding what NOT to do in performance - or what you would do differently - and why.

That said, we must keep things professional, respectful, and civilized at all times. Please keep that in mind.

Well, first, don't show "the finger" to the neighbors and elderly people, and second, don't call them stupid...
I think that kid just watched Amazing Johnathan and wanted to show his family and friends some tricks using his patter.
The conclusion: Don't flash your finger to other people just because you think it's funny, because they may not think that way.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I like how he tried to act like somebody with talent and instead of coming off funny, he came off insulting and stupid. He pretty much flashed that one trick with the card. Then he pretty much screwed everything else up. It would have been one thing if he did some sponge or card or coin magic. Because it would have showed that he put some effort into it. Tho from what I saw.. He just ripped off somebody else completely. Personality,Jokes, effects, and attitude. I kind of feel sorry for his parents and the neighbors. He had to have done some actual entertaining stuff for his parents to recommend them for the party.

Jul 16, 2008
somewhere in New York
I like how he tried to act like somebody with talent and instead of coming off funny, he came off insulting and stupid. He pretty much flashed that one trick with the card. Then he pretty much screwed everything else up. It would have been one thing if he did some sponge or card or coin magic. Because it would have showed that he put some effort into it. Tho from what I saw.. He just ripped off somebody else completely. Personality,Jokes, effects, and attitude. I kind of feel sorry for his parents and the neighbors. He had to have done some actual entertaining stuff for his parents to recommend them for the party.

Keep a few things in mind here. hes looks to be a young kid...he most likely didn't know any better..think back to when you first started out...u didn't always have the knowledge of magic you do now and im sure you have, like everyone else does when they first start out, made some mistakes. He wasnt tought by someone so you have a young kid who tought himself basically im sure he didn't have help of any other experienced magicians. Also, i dont think he ment to scam people or rip people off...and maybe he did show his parents stuff but not the exact things he did for the party? i dont know, just making an inference.

-Nikki

Sep 3, 2007
With the former, you're at least gaining real world experience that will aid you in developing your character, routines, etc. One can evaluate where you may have gone wrong based on your audiences reactions and such - then work to fix any issue(s) in future performances.

With the latter... well.

I agree. I was thinking like that except...

If you post videos on youtube, don't you think you would be a little bit more cocky and stubborn? Almost beyond saving...

It also gives a more negative effect of magic to audiences instead of just nerds on youtube.

I'm not quite sure, the opinions of others would be helpful. Maybe someone else has a completely different angle on this?

To rephrase th question:

What's worse for magic, crappy performances or exposure?

Michael Kras

{dg} poet laureate / theory11
Sep 12, 2007
Canada
www.magicanada.myfastforum.org
theres too many threads with horrible youtube preformances...he probly dosent know any better..so you guys should like stop making fun of him. lets say u were jus starting out and put up a video..would u like it if someone put it on an online magic forum you didnt know about and started making fun of u?

Nikki

It's happened to me, when I was closer to starting out, magicians would do nothing but poke fun at my technique and even me personally... it's always terrible to do a bit of searching and suddenly find people making fun of you or talking about you so negatively. We should stop saying how much "this video makes me want to puke" and start putting a focus on what we think he could improve on and what parts you think need work.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Keep a few things in mind here. hes looks to be a young kid...he most likely didn't know any better..think back to when you first started out...u didn't always have the knowledge of magic you do now and im sure you have, like everyone else does when they first start out, made some mistakes. He wasnt tought by someone so you have a young kid who tought himself basically im sure he didn't have help of any other experienced magicians. Also, i dont think he ment to scam people or rip people off...and maybe he did show his parents stuff but not the exact things he did for the party? i dont know, just making an inference.

-Nikki

So it's okay to insult your audience and flip them off for no reason? He's old enough to know better.

Oct 22, 2008
It's happened to me, when I was closer to starting out, magicians would do nothing but poke fun at my technique and even me personally... it's always terrible to do a bit of searching and suddenly find people making fun of you or talking about you so negatively. We should stop saying how much "this video makes me want to puke" and start putting a focus on what we think he could improve on and what parts you think need work.

yahh i totally agree guys i did not really put up this vid to tell everyone to insult him or anything, i put it up just almost as a learning experience. No need to be as harsh as you all are being at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results