Business Card design...any graphics people here?

Sep 1, 2007
Cornwall
Im currently working out designs for my business cards...I should say I have absolutely 0 artistic abilities, and most of the custom designs you can find on websites are just...meh

I have drawn up some ideas...just wondering if anybody here does this sort of thing for a living? Can perhaps lend a hand? Free? lol

Also! Post your business cards here, maybe share with the site all your individual designs?

Jan 4, 2009
West Allis,WI
Hello my friend, I would love to help design a logo and if you wish a business card, I am not a company but an inspiring independent graphic designer. I have designed a few logos including my own, and one of my colleagues. If you wish to have samples of the logos p.m and we can discuss the possibilities. Also, to mention it will not cost you a thing! All that is asked is that the design can/could be used in presentations and samples for other magicians and clients as well.

Cant wait to hear from you
Michael Weiss

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
I can't really help other than telling you to include as much info on your cards as possible ie, phone, email, website, twitter, youtube....people are lazy and they want your info without having to go to a website to get a number. Sometimes that can be the difference between securing a booking and not.

Do NOT include as much information as possible. People 1) Don't care. and 2) Will NEVER read it.

What you need is your NAME, CONTACT NUMBER, EMAIL ADDRESS, WEBSITE, and possibly a LOGO. That's it. Anymore is a waste.

Ang

Sep 4, 2010
Hello my friend, I would love to help design a logo and if you wish a business card, I am not a company but an inspiring independent graphic designer. I have designed a few logos including my own, and one of my colleagues. If you wish to have samples of the logos p.m and we can discuss the possibilities. Also, to mention it will not cost you a thing! All that is asked is that the design can/could be used in presentations and samples for other magicians and clients as well.

Michael Weiss

Could you possibly help me with a logo/design for me also?

PM me about it?

Sep 1, 2007

Michael Weiss

Woah I'm also going to PM you, I've been looking for some help with this as well!

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
Do NOT include as much information as possible. People 1) Don't care. and 2) Will NEVER read it.
People might not care, business people do care. People always ask where I perform and the person holding my business card always pipes up saying "it's all on here". There is a right way and a wrong way of doing it, if you do it the wrong way then people won't read it.
If people don't read what's on your business card then they're not serious about booking you.

And William, last time I was at a conference there was approximately 60,000 people there. I had numerous comments saying mine were the best business cards they'd seen the whole event. When business cards have that much impact and give information more people tend to keep them.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I've actually heard both schools of thought when it pertains to business cards. I have heard of Draven's which is how I do mine, because at times TOO much information is very cluttery and looks horrible. These types of people choose to only list a Name, Phone, and Email as well as some type of Graphic. Normally a home address is NOT included on this type.

I've also heard of what Formula is saying where you list your Everything possible, Facebook, Twitter, and such because many businesses tend to use their social media through those means.

Which is right? Which is wrong? I don't know.

One thing for sure is that many professionals use a graphic or photo that "tells their story". For example: A children's performer may want to have a pic of them holding a break-a-way wand. A hypnotist may be holding some type of clock or medallion up in the air as if putting someone under a trance.

I do know that you want your business card to STAND OUT somehow from the others.

Sep 1, 2007
Cornwall
we had the idea of molding it to look like an ace of spades, with my initials in the middle, and back to have a card design

Origionally we were going to have my schooling information on it...caree (trying to become a journalist) on the back side, but figured it would make more sense for 1 business card for each thing.

The way I figure it, if people like you and your personality, the business card will always come second. I'm not saying the design isn't important, just don't make it too important.

PS. Love your business card, William. :) Suits you.

PPS. Omg, is that THE TUMBLEWEED!??

This isnt final by any means, but its a rough draft of what we are going for...

any comments?
reidbuscard.jpg

Your name needs to be in a different color, possibly red, to make it stand out against the background. I'd say the same thing goes for your job titles Entertainer...blah blah blah. But your name is way more important. As a stylistic approach, what ever color you use, and I'm still gravitating towards red for some reason, the RB's in the corners should also be the same color.

Ditch F and T and put in Facebook, and Twitter. F and T aren't commonly used in the work place and older less social media savvy individuals may not understand what those mean. Usually F stands for Fax. Better yet, use the Facebook and Twitter icons instead of just typing out the words. More interesting that way.

You don't have a website? Fix that. You need an online presence. A place you can put videos and pictures. Testimonials wouldn't be a bad idea either. Even if it's a free website through like Webs.com or something.

The point of putting your social media on a business card is to promote yourself professionally on said media. Thus having said that I would either create a new or edit your existing twitter page to be more reflective of a professional approach to your business. cataclysmos is too impersonal for my taste. I'd go with your name or the magicreid, or something along those lines. If you don't use twitter to promote yourself, and only for personal use then don't put it out there on your business card.

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
I don't mean to offend you William but your card is not minimal and far from professional, it looks like you've used clip art. Where do skull and crossbones come in to magic?

Look here for real inspiration of business cards http://businesscarddesignideas.com/

Remember that good business cards are going to cost you a lot of money.

No offense taken. Not to offend you but I couldn't care less what you think of my card. Or your judgments on my art. My card works for me (obviously) and there is nothing lacking or wrong with it.

I don't mean to offend you William but your card is not minimal and far from professional, it looks like you've used clip art. Where do skull and crossbones come in to magic?

Look here for real inspiration of business cards http://businesscarddesignideas.com/

Remember that good business cards are going to cost you a lot of money.

Sep 1, 2007
Cornwall
ladies ladies please...lol

I currently have 2-3 graphic artists desiging me a card....and a buddy of mine i met on a video game several years ago who designs websites, making me a website as long as i teach him how to be good at the games we play lol

sofar it wont cost me much...cant complain.

My friend in town has a printing store, around 40$ for 500 cards, top quality, front and back, rounded edges etc

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I'm certainly not an expert in the matter, but I know what I look for when working with people. I want to see their name, phone number and a way to get a message to them (Website or e-mail or both).

Neither of the cards in this thread appeal to me, personally. However, Draven's is clear and easy to read. Reid's is confusing and difficult to read. One will get saved, one will probably be tossed unless I have a really good reason to keep it. In that case, I'd probably write the information myself on the back. Hint: The one I'd keep is Draven's.

The purpose of a business card is to convey the information necessary to contact you. Graphics and funky text can easily interfere with that purpose. Also, it's easy to mismatch graphics and text with character. I see Reid is a comedian and magician, which makes me think that he does comedy magic. Which makes me wonder why there's a hard-rock style ace of spades in the background. Also, the random text size changes make reading the name annoying, and if someone's eyesight isn't good, it may be completely illegible to them. If they can't read it, your card gets tossed in the round file.

I stick to a very basic design. Name, phone number, e-mail, website and some kind of title. My cards generally have my first name (which is what I perform under as my last name is difficult to pronounce unless someone already knows it), phone and e-mail. I don't have a website yet (I know I should, but I don't do this for a living and I can't afford a website) and "Fire Performer - Magician". That will be changed soon, as I don't really market myself as a "magician" any more and don't want the associated image.

Sep 1, 2007
Cornwall
i agree with the annoying text size...my gf's friend made this up, and i commented on the font, as well as the colour scheme

as for the spade...i just think its freaking cool lol...it serves no real purpose i suppose

there are some people in the processof desigining one for me...so this was just a very basic rough first draft

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results