Close-Up Standing Ovation

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Hey guys, since it's thanks giving in USA, it's almost Christmas time, I decided to give you all a gift (aren't I nice) ;)
It's my way of getting a standing ovation at almost every single table while doing table hopping (yes, you can get a standing ovation at a table in a restaurant).
I kept this idea close to me for so long, and I originally wanted to put it in my manuscript that I was going to sell, but what the heck, here you go...

In order to get a standing ovation, the easiest way would be to do ANY effect that has more than one phase. You could also do it with a one phase trick, and I'll get to that later.
So, as you know, you get a standing ovation at the very END of your show. In this case at the end of your close-up set at a table. So if you are doing an "opener" and then one more bigger effect, naturally it's gonna be at the end of that second effect. Also if you're doing a "3 trick set", it's gonna be at the end of a 3rd trick, etc.

So how can you actually get a standing ovation with, let's say, a sandwich routine? Simple, you just ask for it.
So how do you ask for it without sounding like a jerk? Simple, you do it indirectly. Kind of like asking for tips, but much more subtle.

So here we go, this is the exact script I use, and exact script I would recommend you to start with until you modify it to your character. Let's imagine that you are doing an Ambitious Card with 3 phases. Just before you do the last phase, actually just before you START the last phase, you say this: "Alright, I'll do it ONE LAST TIME, for the standing ovation".... you'll get some laughs and chuckles here, but as you say that you immediately continue by saying "I never get it, but I always try". That second part you say kind of like it's an after thought.
It's that second part that actually makes them WANT to do it. It's simple psychology really. It almost makes them feel sorry for you (but they don't feel sorry, don't worry).

So if you're doing a sandwich routine with 2-3 phases, it's the same thing. Just before the last phase, after second to last phase, you say "Alright, one last time, for the standing ovation" pause for a second, and then continue with "I never get it, but I always try".

In order for this to work, the audience has to like you. If they don't, they won't do it. So you have to build rapport with them, make them like you, either through your character or you prior effects. If you cannot make someone like you as a person, the chances are you'll never get a standing ovation no matter what you do or say :)

However, if they do like you as a person, this will work 9/10 times guaranteed. And imagine how great that actually looks, especially to your employer. You just started working in a restaurant, you approached your first table and immediately got a standing ovation. WOW! It will raise your reputation tenfold, with everyone. Also the other tables after that are gonna be dying to see you, and the rejection rate will be minimal. If you get 5-6 standing ovations that night, you're guaranteed for a repeat booking.

So how can you get it when performing only ONE effect with just ONE phase? Pretty much the same. They still have to like you, so the first couple of lines after your introduction (including your introduction) will have to serve to brake the ice and make them laugh and like you as much as you can. Now this time, you deliver the line BEFORE you start the effect, with a simple add on.
You say: "I want to show you guys something I've been working on for a long time. It's my favorite effect, and it's designed to get a standing ovation every single time"...."actually, I never get it but I always try". Hopefully it will get a laugh and make them wanna do it.

So there you go, I hope you like the idea and I hope you're gonna use it. Please comment, share ideas, and please share your experience once you do try this out.

Cheers!

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
Ovations are for shows. Prompting a standing ovation from a small group of people in a restaurant or bar is too much. They most likely came to eat/drink, you're just there to supplement that.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Usually when you are performing for people in a bar or a restaurant or standing gig. The most they will do is applaud or laugh a lot. And in those types of situations that is really all you want from them. A standing ovation would be a bit ridiculous in close up magic.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Why do you guys think it's too much or that it's ridiculous? I got plenty of them, and it never seemed or felt like anything close to ridiculous.

p.s. I really need to learn how to quote more then one person in the same reply. Can someone help me with that?

Feb 10, 2013
I think this is great. What better way to impress the boss and show him why he or she hired you? I think it could be weird in some situations, but with the right table at the right kind of restaurant I can see how this would be really nice. I will definitely try it out one night and see how things go.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Toby,
Thanks for the idea / tip, but I will also mention that I have worked tons of restaurant gigs and have gotten loud applause, cheering, clapping, gasps, etc. but I don't think I would try to get standing ovation from a table of two or four people. That might seem a bit odd. To me it seems desperate for attention, but I do think that if you had a big table of 10 or more people....it would seem great for management to see. I'll have to try it some time and see how it plays out. I do agree that you would have to have that "fun" rapport and friendliness to get the audience to do it.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Hey guys, since it's thanks giving in USA, it's almost Christmas time, I decided to give you all a gift (aren't I nice) ;)
It's my way of getting a standing ovation at almost every single table while doing table hopping (yes, you can get a standing ovation at a table in a restaurant).
I kept this idea close to me for so long, and I originally wanted to put it in my manuscript that I was going to sell, but what the heck, here you go...

In order to get a standing ovation, the easiest way would be to do ANY effect that has more than one phase. You could also do it with a one phase trick, and I'll get to that later.
So, as you know, you get a standing ovation at the very END of your show. In this case at the end of your close-up set at a table. So if you are doing an "opener" and then one more bigger effect, naturally it's gonna be at the end of that second effect. Also if you're doing a "3 trick set", it's gonna be at the end of a 3rd trick, etc.

So how can you actually get a standing ovation with, let's say, a sandwich routine? Simple, you just ask for it.
So how do you ask for it without sounding like a jerk? Simple, you do it indirectly. Kind of like asking for tips, but much more subtle.

So here we go, this is the exact script I use, and exact script I would recommend you to start with until you modify it to your character. Let's imagine that you are doing an Ambitious Card with 3 phases. Just before you do the last phase, actually just before you START the last phase, you say this: "Alright, I'll do it ONE LAST TIME, for the standing ovation".... you'll get some laughs and chuckles here, but as you say that you immediately continue by saying "I never get it, but I always try". That second part you say kind of like it's an after thought.
It's that second part that actually makes them WANT to do it. It's simple psychology really. It almost makes them feel sorry for you (but they don't feel sorry, don't worry).

So if you're doing a sandwich routine with 2-3 phases, it's the same thing. Just before the last phase, after second to last phase, you say "Alright, one last time, for the standing ovation" pause for a second, and then continue with "I never get it, but I always try".

In order for this to work, the audience has to like you. If they don't, they won't do it. So you have to build rapport with them, make them like you, either through your character or you prior effects. If you cannot make someone like you as a person, the chances are you'll never get a standing ovation no matter what you do or say :)

However, if they do like you as a person, this will work 9/10 times guaranteed. And imagine how great that actually looks, especially to your employer. You just started working in a restaurant, you approached your first table and immediately got a standing ovation. WOW! It will raise your reputation tenfold, with everyone. Also the other tables after that are gonna be dying to see you, and the rejection rate will be minimal. If you get 5-6 standing ovations that night, you're guaranteed for a repeat booking.

So how can you get it when performing only ONE effect with just ONE phase? Pretty much the same. They still have to like you, so the first couple of lines after your introduction (including your introduction) will have to serve to brake the ice and make them laugh and like you as much as you can. Now this time, you deliver the line BEFORE you start the effect, with a simple add on.
You say: "I want to show you guys something I've been working on for a long time. It's my favorite effect, and it's designed to get a standing ovation every single time"...."actually, I never get it but I always try". Hopefully it will get a laugh and make them wanna do it.

So there you go, I hope you like the idea and I hope you're gonna use it. Please comment, share ideas, and please share your experience once you do try this out.

Cheers!

To be honest... I think is a little bit lame to ask for a standing ovation, I think a standing ovation should be something that just happens, also I agree it´s a bit to much to have standing ovation from 2-4 people... it almost looks like a joke...

Anyway, I agree with Rick..I am gonna have to try it sometime...but in my way... thanks anyway!!

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Toby,
Thanks for the idea / tip, but I will also mention that I have worked tons of restaurant gigs and have gotten loud applause, cheering, clapping, gasps, etc. but I don't think I would try to get standing ovation from a table of two or four people. That might seem a bit odd. To me it seems desperate for attention, but I do think that if you had a big table of 10 or more people....it would seem great for management to see. I'll have to try it some time and see how it plays out. I do agree that you would have to have that "fun" rapport and friendliness to get the audience to do it.
It's all meant to be done in a jokingly kind of way. It's not a serious standing ovation where people will cry and throw their babies up in the air. They will be laughing, you will be laughing, and they will do it because of the joke you did. That's why you have to build a connection with them, get them inside your sense of humor, so they will get the joke "I never get it but I always try". It's really hard to explain at 5:39am :)
Trust me, just try it out. Also, I believe it's much funnier if it's done with two to four people table. I mean a standing ovation from two people, common, it doesn't get much funnier than that :)

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
To be honest... I think is a little bit lame to ask for a standing ovation, I think a standing ovation should be something that just happens, also I agree it´s a bit to much to have standing ovation from 2-4 people... it almost looks like a joke...

Anyway, I agree with Rick..I am gonna have to try it sometime...but in my way... thanks anyway!!
It is supposed to look like that. Not like a joke, but like people are having a lot of fun with you. I guess I didn't describe it very well. The employer will see how quickly and easily you build rapport with the audience, get them on your side, and having a lot of fun with you.
Again, first try it out, then make a definite decision ;)

Sep 1, 2007
A standing O at a restaurant will happen on occasion. But if I were eating out and a table stood up and started wildly cheering, I wouldn't be thinking, "Wow, I want the guy with the cards at my table!" I'd be thinking, "Time for the bartender to cut them off, I think." If a magician comes to the table and my friends and I aren't in the mood for entertainment, we just want to have a conversation and enjoy the meal, we have the option of saying, "Thank you, but no." A loud table on the other hand we don't get to politely turn down. We have to sit there and put up with it, quietly fuming and wanting them to stuff more burgers in their fat, stupid faces to keep them quiet.

On that note, I went to a restaurant once when a Steelers game was playing on the TV. I wasn't watching, but I knew when the Steelers scored because three or four tables would stand up and start bellowing and whooping like they were about to put on warpaint and set fire to a car in the parking lot to dance naked around. I left with a splitting headache and a gut full of stewing hatred.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
A standing O at a restaurant will happen on occasion. But if I were eating out and a table stood up and started wildly cheering, I wouldn't be thinking, "Wow, I want the guy with the cards at my table!" I'd be thinking, "Time for the bartender to cut them off, I think." If a magician comes to the table and my friends and I aren't in the mood for entertainment, we just want to have a conversation and enjoy the meal, we have the option of saying, "Thank you, but no." A loud table on the other hand we don't get to politely turn down. We have to sit there and put up with it, quietly fuming and wanting them to stuff more burgers in their fat, stupid faces to keep them quiet.

On that note, I went to a restaurant once when a Steelers game was playing on the TV. I wasn't watching, but I knew when the Steelers scored because three or four tables would stand up and start bellowing and whooping like they were about to put on warpaint and set fire to a car in the parking lot to dance naked around. I left with a splitting headache and a gut full of stewing hatred.
I get what you're trying to say. But as you said it yourself, they will be loud and cheerful no matter what, if they're drunk. We all experienced it. You approach a table, they're loud, obnoxious, pretty much just bothering everybody with their noise. You could do a simple double lift and reveal, and it would set off the lava of noise and cheers. Not much of a difference if they're sitting or standing up.
Like I said earlier, it's not a cheering, loud, screaming, throwing babies up in the air kind of standing ovation. It's more like, they stand up, give you a "golf clap" and sit back down, while laughing and joking about it (appropriately).

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I don't mean to pile on here - I'm just mulling the concept over in my head. I don't see the point of trying to force a standing ovation in a restaurant. I wouldn't want the table to stand up. That draws too much attention to them. Being the only table standing in a room full of seated people is strange. Many people will feel embarrassed by being put into that position.

If I were at a restaurant and someone tried these lines on me, I would (at best) think it's a lame joke or (at worst) be annoyed that you're trying to make me stand up.

So, I guess my questions are two fold -

Why do you want to do this?

And

Is it achieving your goal?

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
I don't mean to pile on here - I'm just mulling the concept over in my head. I don't see the point of trying to force a standing ovation in a restaurant. I wouldn't want the table to stand up. That draws too much attention to them. Being the only table standing in a room full of seated people is strange. Many people will feel embarrassed by being put into that position.

If I were at a restaurant and someone tried these lines on me, I would (at best) think it's a lame joke or (at worst) be annoyed that you're trying to make me stand up.

So, I guess my questions are two fold -

Why do you want to do this?

And

Is it achieving your goal?
Well that's the whole point, you are not FORCING anything or anyone. That second part of the line "I never get it but I always try" actually works both ways. It kind of makes them want to do it (key word is WANT), but also it gives them the option of not doing it since no one else has done it. Does that make sense? So either way it's perfectly fine.
If you said something like "I always get it when I try", that would kind of be forcing them, and also make you look like a jerk. Like I said, it's not for everybody, and you do have to have that special connection with the audience, so in the end they will WANT to do it and not feel weird or awkward doing it.
Also, if I feel that you are that kind of a person (that would think it's lame or what ever), I wouldn't even try it on you. That's why you need to know your audience. I'm not gonna try and get a standing-o from a table full of senior citizens, or serious business people. But a nice, friendly family or a group of friends, why not?

I perform mostly on cruise ships and parties, so the atmosphere is always festive. So you need to know your audience. I didn't mention that in the OP because I think it goes without saying. You shouldn't try it at the funeral either.

Sep 1, 2007
Well that's the whole point, you are not FORCING anything or anyone. That second part of the line "I never get it but I always try" actually works both ways.

Some may interpret that as emotional blackmail. Just saying.

If you really want a standing O, you have to facilitate it. Harry Lorrayne is also an expert in mnemonic devices. One sly tactic he used to use was to get the names of everyone in the audience and say, "When I call your name, please stand up and remain standing." Within a couple of minutes, he named everyone in the theater. At that point they're already standing, so...

Harry didn't have to ask for it. But he facilitated it.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Some may interpret that as emotional blackmail. Just saying.

If you really want a standing O, you have to facilitate it. Harry Lorrayne is also an expert in mnemonic devices. One sly tactic he used to use was to get the names of everyone in the audience and say, "When I call your name, please stand up and remain standing." Within a couple of minutes, he named everyone in the theater. At that point they're already standing, so...

Harry didn't have to ask for it. But he facilitated it.
Hmm, emotional blackmail? I like that expression. But then so many times they can interpret asking for tips as an actual blackmail, but so many magicians still do it.

How is "when I call your name please stand up and remain standing" not asking for it?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Hmm, emotional blackmail? I like that expression. But then so many times they can interpret asking for tips as an actual blackmail, but so many magicians still do it.

How is "when I call your name please stand up and remain standing" not asking for it?

It's not asking for it because he's just having them stand to acknowledge that he remembered their name. They get the idea to clap all on their own. He never says anything about a standing ovation.

Emotional Blackmail is basically when you make someone feel guilty so they do something for you. In this case, the line, "I never get it" makes them feel sorry for you, so they give you what you want to cheer you up.

If it works for you, then it works for you. It's not my style. I don't like prompting people so blatantly, personally.

Sep 1, 2007

Do you ask for a tip by complaining about how you never get one?

Because he doesn't ask for the ovation. He asks them to remain standing to visually prove that he has named every single person in the audience. There's no possibility of claiming that he missed someone. The sight of it is so damn impressive that the audience breaks into applause. And since they're already standing, the social contract practically demands there be cheers as well. In fact, the brain will likely divorce the fact that he asked them to stand from the fact the applause became a standing O because the visual of it appeared to happen organically.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
The problem with it doing it in a restaurant is that usually people don't WANT to have to stand up and applaud you. They have gone out to have a good time and to relax. The standing ovation MIGHT work if you were a stage performer for obvious reasons. But at a bar, restaurant, etc.. It just won't fly and you could potentially end up with people constantly telling the staff to tell you to "please keep it down." Thus causing you to get booted from the place pretty quickly.

I get what you are trying to say. You want to have some huge obvious sign that the people at the place are having a good time and really like you. That's fine. The way you achieve that is actually a lot more simpler than having them give you a standing ovation. You simply turn down their tip and tell them if they really want to tip you, they can tell the general manager/host how much they really enjoyed seeing you. Problem solved and everybody still get's to enjoy their nice quiet evening out.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
The problem with it doing it in a restaurant is that usually people don't WANT to have to stand up and applaud you. They have gone out to have a good time and to relax. The standing ovation MIGHT work if you were a stage performer for obvious reasons. But at a bar, restaurant, etc.. It just won't fly and you could potentially end up with people constantly telling the staff to tell you to "please keep it down." Thus causing you to get booted from the place pretty quickly.

I get what you are trying to say. You want to have some huge obvious sign that the people at the place are having a good time and really like you. That's fine. The way you achieve that is actually a lot more simpler than having them give you a standing ovation. You simply turn down their tip and tell them if they really want to tip you, they can tell the general manager/host how much they really enjoyed seeing you. Problem solved and everybody still get's to enjoy their nice quiet evening out.

I think you've missed the part where he explained that it's not a Standing Ovation the way we're generally thinking of it. It's people stand up around the table and give him a little 'golf clap'. Not rowdy (unless they were rowdy already).

Toby - I don't think I got an answer to my question. What is your ultimate goal for having people give you this standing o?

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I think you've missed the part where he explained that it's not a Standing Ovation the way we're generally thinking of it. It's people stand up around the table and give him a little 'golf clap'. Not rowdy (unless they were rowdy already).

Toby - I don't think I got an answer to my question. What is your ultimate goal for having people give you this standing o?

Nope, my point still stands. Why would people want to stand up and give you a little golf clap, when they can just give you a golf clap while sitting at their table?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results