Comparison in Performance

Maybe it is just me, but almost every time i preform, someone has to say something like, Whoa! way to go chis Angel. Or Your like David Blane. This drives me crazy. . yes they are both well known magicians. . The thing is its not just the spectators who do it. Last night I was out to the bars with a few friends of mine, and we were all having a smoke outside, and we got to talking with this girl One of my friends said you have to see Luka do a trick, he does some David Blane ****. I feel that when people say thing like that they portray me as some cheap generic rip off. I hate it when laymen say something like. "one time i saw a magician on tv, and he....(insert any trick here.)...can you do that one. But the absoulte worse thing is after I introduce myself and say they can call me Luka, the spectator calls me magic man, or mindfreak, Mr. Magic, or some lame name like that...Does anyone else feel this way, or am I over looking everything.

Sep 15, 2007
www.myspace.com
Maybe it is just me, but almost every time i preform, someone has to say something like, Whoa! way to go chis Angel. Or Your like David Blane. This drives me crazy. . yes they are both well known magicians. . The thing is its not just the spectators who do it. Last night I was out to the bars with a few friends of mine, and we were all having a smoke outside, and we got to talking with this girl One of my friends said you have to see Luka do a trick, he does some David Blane ****. I feel that when people say thing like that they portray me as some cheap generic rip off. I hate it when laymen say something like. "one time i saw a magician on tv, and he....(insert any trick here.)...can you do that one. But the absoulte worse thing is after I introduce myself and say they can call me Luka, the spectator calls me magic man, or mindfreak, Mr. Magic, or some lame name like that...Does anyone else feel this way, or am I over looking everything.

You take it too seriously. It's common to relate things to feel more comfortable in a situation. I know what you mean, it does get annoying, but think of it as a complement next time. Be happy they think you are on the same caliber as a very famous magician, like David Blaine who is good enough to be on T.V. You know what I mean?

Aug 27, 2008
Tijuana bC
I agree with Z magic ... be proud of yourself that they thought of a good magician like david blaine and related you to him, that must mean they felt the amazement db gave them ... and related it similarly to the amazement you made them feel. thats a good thing ;)

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Whilst what Z-Magic said is true - don't take it too hard - I agree with chris that it's probably a problem with your presentation, or more specifically, your performing persona. Without knowing much about you, make sure you know for yourself the type of performer you are, and how you want to present yourself and your magic. Whilst you may not have the same performing style as either of them, it may well be that the effect you end up portraying, is simply a similar one to those two.

Or, alternatively, another way to look at it would be that you're not establishing yourself as a magician well enough or strongly enough to stand alone in terms of what I'll loosely call "reputation". This is a common thing for magicians who are performing a series of tricks rather than magic proper.

Ultimately, I feel strongly that magicians should not be remembered for being like Criss Angel, or as good as David Blaine, but should be remembered as themselves.

Feb 28, 2008
Don't take it so personally... It's just a result of how well Blaine and Angel have marketed themselves. I get it all the time myself and I try my best to make a joke of it (usually just saying I'm better).

But it's like, if a high school basketball player shows you something cool, someone might say he's like Kobe or Lebron... They're sort of the standard of greatness and recognition so peope who aren't as knowledged on the sport (or our art) just make those connections.

thats doesn't fail...what you have to do is do stuff that neither one will do....or have done....there is a lot of magic out there and theory 11 and E will sell stuff Blaine and Angel like.....not talking down on T11 but try other magic stores and get your magic....i try my best not to get everything they sell..why? about a million other magicians will do the same...i try to pick the ones no one is doing or rarely does......but if its a killer effect...i can't help myself....

May 3, 2008
Remember that to laymen, Criss Angel and David Blaine are GODS. When I first saw David Blaine, I was truly convinced that he could do REAL magic. I would choose to take it as a compliment.

The general public will naturally relate their experience with you to the closest available thing they know of in their repituar of experiences for conversation starters or complements. It's just how we are programed as humans. Unfortunately for young magicians 98% of the common public are only familular with Blaine and Angel as their names are dominating the media right now. 20 years ago it was Burton and Copperfield. So the trend never changes, only the associated names.

You're going to have to deal with it the best you can. It really is almost a complement in a way. They are associating your work with the work of one of the industries biggest names. Weather you realize it or not, they are basicly putting you on even ground with them in their mind. I'd be lying if I didn't say I half tune out what someone says the instant I hear Blaine or Angels name, but thats because I'm at a point in my career now where I'm trying to establish myself as my own entity. I think looking at the bigger picture here, it's harmless. Annoying but harmless.

If you feel you are getting associated too much with other magicians by your audience after you perform you may want to consider changing up the type of tricks you do, your presentation of these tricks, or maybe both. Chances are if you bought the card trick "Strange Travelers" and perform it line for line as suggested by the patter that comes with the trick then you are going to be taken for David Blaine as it's -his- trick. You're just doing it. Make it your OWN trick somehow. This segways into performance character, and show routining. Both are lectures I don't have the time to get into. But I encourage you to put a good amount of practical thought to.

People that know you are going to associate all kinds of pet names with you. Laughably they aren't as original as the mark may think. I get on a daily bases:
Mr. Magic, The Wizard, Magic Man, Freaky, and Gambit to just name a few.

Take it in stride. Most of the time it's harmless pet names. Again people are just trying to relate to you because they find you interesting the only way they know how. The only time I would be very clear as to what I expect to be called is during a show. When I'm on stage it is Draven, William Draven, William Draven: Master of the Macabre, or Master Draven. I accept no others and I will correct someone on site should they address me as anything but. The reason is of course branding. I want a certain name and mental image associated with my style of act. But when I'm at work, and a Blues Brother passes me by with his sing song tune of "Do you believe in Mr. Magic" then I just smile and sing back "And I hope you do." It's harmless fun. I'm touched that I've made such an impact on that person to get my own tune as a way of greeting.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results