Dan and Dave - Skill and Teaching

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
I just don't understand how somebody can possibly say "This is the Hugh Scott shuffle. It was invented by Hugh Scott, a magician from Scotland." and still keep a completely straight face. Maybe it's just practice for whilst they're playing poker. As if they couldn't win anyway...

Oct 13, 2008
Books usually aren't funny (excluding Paul Harris), but we enjoy them anyway. I also enjoyed the Trilogy. I don't buy magic to be entertained. (I do enjoy the entertainment DVDs offer though. It's nice.) I buy magic to excel at it. Never once did I think to myself "I dislike the Trilogy because the Bucks are too flat." They have their own style. T11 has a completely different style than D&D. D&D have a very professional and elegant style while T11 has a "I'm badass, underground, better than you at life, and I am a ninja" style. Both are very different. I enjoy both styles. Overall, the Bucks are awesome, and T11 is awesome. Which is better for entertainment value? I really don't care because I don't buy magic to be entertained. That's what movies are for.

-Doug

A problem with this though, would be that a lot of people who are new to magic and still looking for their performance character, might tend to echo the flat and humourless teaching style in their performance. If the tuition is delivered in an upbeat and entertaining manner, so the student who follows it will be inclined to do the same, and magic is just entertainment after all. If it's your character to be serious then good for you and keep it up, but i find people who take themselves too seriously are just looking to be taken down a peg or two.

That's a discussion for another time, but it's just a thought. Its been said elsewhere on these Forums how people mimick the presentation and patter of effects when performing them themselves.

I just don't understand how somebody can possibly say "This is the Hugh Scott shuffle. It was invented by Hugh Scott, a magician from Scotland." and still keep a completely straight face. Maybe it's just practice for whilst they're playing poker. As if they couldn't win anyway...

On andthensome, I think it's Dave that just looks at the camera with a straight face, nods his head a little and says "... Manfred Shuffle...", and for whatever reason it made me crack up.

Personally, their teaching doesn't bother me. I could take it either way, funny or not. As long as they're clear & detailed enough for me to understand what they're teaching, it doesn't matter.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
A problem with this though, would be that a lot of people who are new to magic and still looking for their performance character, might tend to echo the flat and humourless teaching style in their performance. If the tuition is delivered in an upbeat and entertaining manner, so the student who follows it will be inclined to do the same, and magic is just entertainment after all. If it's your character to be serious then good for you and keep it up, but i find people who take themselves too seriously are just looking to be taken down a peg or two.

That's a discussion for another time, but it's just a thought. Its been said elsewhere on these Forums how people mimick the presentation and patter of effects when performing them themselves.

Someone who is new to magic shouldnt be buying these DVDs in the first place.

Likenthrope

Banned
Jan 31, 2009
Anyway, I find their teaching to be very useful (I have a coupe 1-ON-1s) It's good that they don't give you a presentation because it allows you to be creative.
The problem here is that their way of teaching and performing has become a style for all of these young kids! All you have to do is watch some of the video submissions out there and see all the D&D clones! It comes off to lay people as showing off or worse, insulting! Kinda like a fooled you sort of attitude instead of entertaining the specs. Now I am not saying that this is what D&D intended, it's just that's what the newbies have interpreted it to be and emulate that style!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results