Do the Bucks have good magic?

Do the Buck twins create good magic effects?

• Yes

Votes: 70 41.2%
  • No

Votes: 25 14.7%
  • Some good and some not so good

Votes: 75 44.1%

• Total voters
Jan 18, 2009
I borrowed the Trilogy from a friend of mine and was very excited because I have been trying to learn impromptu card tricks rather than gimmicked ones like Alpha Deck or election, anything along those lines. Anyways, even as I stare at the Bucks flawless card work I have this feeling that these tricks are just flashy.

They aren't very spectacular tricks, quite a bit of sandwhich effects and transpos, the good ones are card to hand and mouth and hoffzy ozbourne imo. I practice the tricks constantly and while I can perform them very well the reactions from people are simple and somewhat dulled. If you take away the flash then very little is left with the actual trick, and I realllly wanted this not to be, a simple flash of movements that produces some sort of trick. Maybe it's just me. The angles are very sensitive also it seems but misdirection helps.

The teaching on the tricks was subpar also, they went over the easiest things several several times and more of the advanced once or possibly twice which irked me a bit when I was trying to follow along. "To spin the card put your fingers........." and this was said about six times which was so simple then the next move which was very difficult was told once then just quickly repeated.

The flourishes were very good and I am learning nearly all of them. The teaching is about the same but it's a w/e kind of thing.

So while this may have seemed like a review I am just discussing some things that I noticed and was wondering if anybody else had these issues. To clear things up I can perform all tricks except for Queens very well with very little issue, So anybody else see this, or am I just whining about something?

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
I said no as their targetted audience is very limited.
Their main target is only the teens who like the quick and flashy.
I would choose a good old routine over Queens any day.
The DND tricks dont work as well and some people may even find them boring.

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
not to belittle their technical skill, as the twins are some of the best card handlers to ever touch a deck of cards... I categorize their magic as "flourish magic."

That being said, I can sort of categorize card work into three seperate categories: Flourishes, Magic, and a combination of the two, Flourish Magic.

To me, the tricks on the Trilogy and Andthensome, are like watching a pool trick shot contest. You will rarely ever see anything like those shots utilized in an actual game of pool, yet they are fun to watch. The tricks they present, in my opinion, in no way present "Magic" as happening, but on the other hand, scream, "please admire my technical skill presented in a magical fashion" compared to their flourishes as just, "please admire my technical skill."

For hard hitting, amazing magic that will allow the spectators to give a thunderous reaction, than you need to avoid the flourishes/ flourishy magic... and perform tricks that have some sort of them, justification, motivation, etc... Other wise, just walk around balancing a chair on your chin, because from a technical skill standpoint, it is the same.

Jul 30, 2008
I chose the third option. I like the db spin change and incorporating it to the time machine plot has certainly enriched it. However, stuff like portal, I don't think its good magic quite honestly.

Also, why must this topic be bought up over and over again? Whether the bucks have good magic or not isn't going to change anything. People are still going to rave over them.

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Maybe the OP isnt trying to change anything. Perhaps he just wants to know where everyone else stands on this subject.

Not every post has to be about "CHANGING THE WORLD OF MAGIC FOR THE GOOD" or whatever... sometimes people just want to chat and compare opinions.

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
I like some of the tricks from D&D but most of them I find myself never performing. But the tricks that I do perform I got rid of most of the flashy stuff and pretty much do the tricks. I added my own little, easy flashy stuff but nothing too confusing for the spectators.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
No. I'm sure a few people know my opinion on this, but I feel that there is a lot stronger magic out there, better thought out, better choreographed, better put together, better developed magic.

I find it funny though that no-one who's liked their magic has tried to explain their decision, though. Speaks a lot about possible stereotypes (though of course, all stereotypes have their exceptions, and my apologies if any of those exist of those that have voted).

Jan 13, 2008
I'm not really a big fan of their magic. They're technically amazing, there's no doubt about that, but like many have already said, it's far too flashy for my tastes. I mean, it's fun to watch, but it's not magical--it's fun on a "wow, that looks impressive, like it takes lots of skill" level.

With that said, there are a few of their sleights that I've incorporated into other effects. So yay?

Aug 31, 2007
I'm not really a big fan of their magic. They're technically amazing, there's no doubt about that, but like many have already said, it's far too flashy for my tastes. I mean, it's fun to watch, but it's not magical--it's fun on a "wow, that looks impressive, like it takes lots of skill" level.

When I first received the Trilogy, I showed a few non-magician friends several tricks from the set including Deja Vu, Subway and Hofzzy. In each case the reaction was, "What? Wait, how did he do that!"

Now, that response is a "magical" response. You don't get that kind of response to a flourish or something else that is merely a display of skill, because the spectator KNOWS how it is done: skill, dexterity, hours of practice, etc. You only get that kind of astonished response from a spectator when they have experienced something magical. In that sense then, I DO think the Bucks have some good magic. Is all of it good? Probably not, but that's the case with every magician. But I really don't understand the attitude that says what the Bucks do is not magic. Based on spectator response, it certainly is.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Take what you can from them,I have the trilogy, and do you want to know how many tricks do I perform from the tricks section? none, why? As you said before, they are too flashy, Ill consider them "magicians magic" and that means that althought you cant get a nice reaction from normal people after performing the queens, if you perform for a magic buddy , he will just be amased at your display of skill.

Was it a waste of money? definetly no, Althought I dont use the tricks I definetly use the sleights... they have a couple of very good DL explained in the trilogy ( Im in love with the spin doctor double and the center double) And the thinking behind some of the tricks is phenomenal, Hoffzy Ozzbourne is an example of how well composed sleight of hand can make a good trick.

I practice the tricks for fun, but as for performance, I just perform the tricks that are laymen tested or those that I know that can be pretty good in their eyes...

Take what you can from them.... Sleights, routines ideas......Add your own patter to it and you will have a little gem in your hands:D.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 13, 2008
When I first received the Trilogy, I showed a few non-magician friends several tricks from the set including Deja Vu, Subway and Hofzzy. In each case the reaction was, "What? Wait, how did he do that!"

Now, that response is a "magical" response. You don't get that kind of response to a flourish or something else that is merely a display of skill, because the spectator KNOWS how it is done: skill, dexterity, hours of practice, etc. You only get that kind of astonished response from a spectator when they have experienced something magical. In that sense then, I DO think the Bucks have some good magic. Is all of it good? Probably not, but that's the case with every magician. But I really don't understand the attitude that says what the Bucks do is not magic. Based on spectator response, it certainly is.
I guess it really depends on how you define "magical". "Fools me" isn't really part of my definition, but apparently it's important to some.

David Copperfield's effects (well, some, not all of them) don't really fool me anymore...yet, they're still very magical to me. The bucks just don't deliver that same sense of magic, to me. It's far too flashy (too many moves which look like moves--and to me, that takes away from the magic), which screams "skill", and doesn't deliver a sense of magic.

Again, this may just be me. I don't really know. Either way, it's quite subjective/opinion oriented anyway. *shrugs*

Jan 28, 2009
You're forgetting the System and a bunch of other stuff they've come out with. Their magic may be flashy, but they do stress that that's their brand. (read the booklet in the Trilogy.) they point out that they don't expect you to go out and perform these tricks, but to take away sleights, ideas and their finesse with a deck of cards and add that to your routines. It's a source of ideas. You want a convincing double you'll find it in those DVDs. You want a good dribble control, its in there. How you apply those to your individual routines is down to you as a performer. Could Dan and Dave perform just about any trick? Sure, they've got all of the sleights, but that's not their style. Their style has made them recognized the world over for what it is. For you however you need to find a way of taking that style and making it your own, or the aspects of that style that you like.

The magic community doesn't need a bunch of Dan and Dave clones, RD is absolutely right. Take what you like from what they offer. The double in Portal has a thousand applications beyond Portal for instance.

So yeah they do have great magic. But I don't think it's repeatable by anyone else that hasn't spent 10 years with a deck of cards in their hands, lol, but you can take aspects of that magic and add it to your established routines and you'll have something special.

I personally don't want to take any one source as my entire inspiration. I want to draw from many sources. Aaron Fisher's no nonsense magic, which is just straight down the line, and not flash, to D+M's ridiculous stage persona, to David Blaine's scarey face, to Wayne Houdin's demeaner when he's performing. You wouldn't try and emulate any one of them, but you may take things from them and add them, make them yours when you are performing them.

This is an unfair question basically. We are -not- in a position to judge D&Ds magic, because I don't think most here have seen them perform live. Their instructional DVDs are just that, instructional, so you can take what you like and leave the rest, but still have a DVD of some great performances.

Sep 28, 2007
OK....this is what it comes down to...if it works for you use it. If it doesnt, don't. And if you purchased it and found out it wasnt what you were expecting, big deal. I know we all have bought something and have never used it. But the search for knowledge continues. I believe the work of the Bucks' is great for what it is. I have my style, you have your style, and they have theirs. Now if you like their style and it works for you, once again use. If not, dump it. I bought the trilogy just of recently, now when i bought it i knew just about everything on there, but i want to support them. Now i may use two of three things off that entire series, but im happy to have a new reference piece. I also bought andthensome, just because. So as for the Bucks, yes they have good magic, if thats the kind of magic you like to perform and watch. Which i do.
Cheers.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
It depends on ones point of view.
Its a DIFFERENT kind of card magic.
Eye candy magic,I call it.
Whether pure eye candy is good for someone or not.Is a point of view.

Oct 5, 2008
Almada, Portugal
I had a very similar conversation with a frind of mine a few weeks ago; I'm gonna resume my conclusion in this words:
Buck style is a very proper style. You can acctually take out from the Trilogy a lot of different sleights, that the good part. The bad part is maybe they do not perfom the trick with the patter that we need to consider a good trick.
I consider Déja'Vu and Hofzzy great tricks because they can envolve easealy good patter on it. But for example, I don't like that much the two Tivo's. BUT I like some sleights trough on it (spin doctor double, the bulff pass tipe thig). Swiss Made is a very simple trick, if you incorporte it with the Time Machine effect by Steve Freeman, it may get better. What ever, you can take DDC or the DB Spin Change to other diferent efects that you like.
Portal and Hedberds Peake are more that kind of tricks that is kinda dificult to incorporate good patter on it. But, the sleight I belleave they are good (I don't have Portal). They are also good to moments like "Do a trick please" know what I meen.
So my dicision goes to "Some good and some not so good"; or in my words "They have good sleights and some good tricks" because I think tey don't have a bad trick.

All of this is my opinion.

J.

P.S.: I don't have AndThenSome; I acctually can't tell that all of that material is good.

May 8, 2008
England
I've only skimmed through this thread...
I've only ever performed Hofzzy, Hedberg and subway. Which all work well. No-one says you have to perform exactly like the Buck's though. With Hedberg I drag it out, and it gets a much better reaction, for me. It depends on you really. I wouldn't ever really perform the majority of tricks taught on the trilogy, however the ideas and sleights you can take from it are brilliant.

2 cents.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
I didn't vote. Purely because, in my opinion, there is no such thing as a good trick. This may sound cheesy and overused, but it is true. I use pieces like Subway all the time. However every time I do it, I try and make something of it. I make it a performance. Do it exactly as Dan and Dave do it and you don't know what you're missing out on. Build it up, play it right and it's a miracle.

Now I personally don't like their way of doing things, their flashy, swirly movements and their lack of patter, however I will say that the Trilogy is immensely brilliant. There are some lovely sleights in there, but also it gave me a lot of inspiration, which is what I think the Buck twins intended it for. I recently came up with a mentalism effect, inspired by Luke Jermay's RGM and by Dan and Dave's Subway. You wouldn't see it and even be remotely reminded of Subway, but it was the original inspiration. And whilst I don't like most the tricks by themselves as such (but that is purely preference), the Trilogy is the one dvd (or set) that I have come back and re watched most, alongside the Devil's Picturebook. So no, they are not good tricks, nor are they bad tricks. They are a series of movements, available for interpretation by the individual.

Dec 1, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
People have touched on this here but a lot of the Buck's tricks can be adapted to incorporate a good patter. Such as deja vu, I don't perform magic the way the Bucks do but I've changed the presentation of this trick to suit me, It's become one of my standby card tricks. I think the Bucks magic is very amazing and, if you can pull it off, yes it's very good magic.

You're forgetting the System and a bunch of other stuff they've come out with. Their magic may be flashy, but they do stress that that's their brand. (read the booklet in the Trilogy.) they point out that they don't expect you to go out and perform these tricks, but to take away sleights, ideas and their finesse with a deck of cards and add that to your routines. It's a source of ideas. You want a convincing double you'll find it in those DVDs. You want a good dribble control, its in there. How you apply those to your individual routines is down to you as a performer. Could Dan and Dave perform just about any trick? Sure, they've got all of the sleights, but that's not their style. Their style has made them recognized the world over for what it is. For you however you need to find a way of taking that style and making it your own, or the aspects of that style that you like.

The magic community doesn't need a bunch of Dan and Dave clones, RD is absolutely right. Take what you like from what they offer. The double in Portal has a thousand applications beyond Portal for instance.

So yeah they do have great magic. But I don't think it's repeatable by anyone else that hasn't spent 10 years with a deck of cards in their hands, lol, but you can take aspects of that magic and add it to your established routines and you'll have something special.

I personally don't want to take any one source as my entire inspiration. I want to draw from many sources. Aaron Fisher's no nonsense magic, which is just straight down the line, and not flash, to D+M's ridiculous stage persona, to David Blaine's scarey face, to Wayne Houdin's demeaner when he's performing. You wouldn't try and emulate any one of them, but you may take things from them and add them, make them yours when you are performing them.

This is an unfair question basically. We are -not- in a position to judge D&Ds magic, because I don't think most here have seen them perform live. Their instructional DVDs are just that, instructional, so you can take what you like and leave the rest, but still have a DVD of some great performances.

Quoted for truth.

Seems most people are looking at the tricks like they have to be performed just like they're shown. Not the case. If we were to take a double lift, and show it to someone, flip it back over and say "Look, the card changed.", none of us would find that impressive. My question is, would any of you do that? No, you wouldn't. You'd show the top card, loose it in the deck, show the top card again, do a cardini, and *poof*, there's their card. And let us not forget the patter. The point is, you wouldn't do something like a double lift as a stand alone trick, so treat their magic the same way. Pick it apart like a child rips apart a cereal box looking for the prize. Hell, you can actually start an ACR with Tivo 2.0.

D21400

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Antwerp, Belgium
It is true when you leave the flourish part away that the whole trick changes. But if you put your own accent and perfomance in it, they do actually work. I do perform Portal and i'm training on Tivo Transpo And I had really good reactions on it.

So they do have good magic, but you need to adapt it to yourselve

D21400

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results