Does Coin Magic...

Sep 1, 2007
San Diego
"Check out this quarter,we'll call him Romeo and this quarter we'll call her Juilet......"In the right hands its a baffler how they find each other every time in one hand. Quarters are not really in love with each other and audiences know that. being a great story teller with coins is great but i think this post is trying to find a deeper reasons for the coins themselves..you know? Its a harder answer then "The right patter."

I JUST CRAPPED MYSELF
that is what this was about. having the right patter is one thing, but having a JUSTIFIED patter and etc. is what makes it happen. then theres something ABOUT the coins that people connect with.
"yeah, a quarter, i have 12 in my pocket.", people CONNECT with them.

great post

Sep 24, 2007
Have you crapped yourself on this thread twice? Does that mean this thread gets TWO "I just crapped myself" awards?

Sep 1, 2007
San Diego
no, the thread as a whole got an IJCM award, as in theres good info here from all users, not enough to crap myself, but good info.
but the post i craped myself on stood out to me more than any other and i thought it was good

Just to add one little thing to the debate ..

Coin magic its extremely easy to get a emotional hook way easier than card magic, this is because coin magic is something very new to the spectator. How many laymen can do a card trick? How many laymen can do a coin trick?

Emotional hooks are the level of intrest of spectator, saying that this is something that has to do with limited presentational hooks is a bad idea. The trick itself IS the hook, especially if you took out these silver dollars. The presentational hook is ONE way to arise the emotional interest, but its sure not the only thing that does the job.

I have no experience in coin magic, but enough experience in card magic to say that its harder to arise a good level of intrest for card magic rather than coin magic or other types.

Cheers,

Mar 29, 2008
Just wanted to add an interesting experience - some people were watching a very talented magician, and I was was in the crowd. Nobody knew I was a magi - I heard one women say something I have heard Tyler Wilson talk to me about...almost the EXACT same working. She said, I hate coin magic - it seems so easy...in which I laughed, and i said, why do you say that? She said - it can usually be explained by, "it's in the other hand". I asked if she did any magic, because it was so true and insightful...she said, "nope, actually, I have seen live magic a few times here and there, but don't know how it's done". I just laughed to myself. She was right - the magic can be explained most times by just saying at any point - it is in the other hand....not to mention those that say, "it's up the sleeve" - combine those two thoughts and you have a large percentage of method explained....good bye Raven, vanishes, and sleeving - wow, I am starting to actually hate coin magic now. haha.

Mar 29, 2008
Just wanted to add an interesting experience - some people were watching a very talented magician, and I was was in the crowd. Nobody knew I was a magi - I heard one women say something I have heard Tyler Wilson talk to me about...almost the EXACT same working. She said, I hate coin magic - it seems so easy...in which I laughed, and i said, why do you say that? She said - it can usually be explained by, "it's in the other hand". I asked if she did any magic, because it was so true and insightful...she said, "nope, actually, I have seen live magic a few times here and there, but don't know how it's done". I just laughed to myself. She was right - the magic can be explained most times by just saying at any point - it is in the other hand....not to mention those that say, "it's up the sleeve" - combine those two thoughts and you have a large percentage of method explained....good bye Raven, vanishes, and sleeving - wow, I am starting to actually hate coin magic now. haha.

and Im starting to hate you, dont like coin magic? heres a simple answer

THEN DONT DO IT

dont complain about something you cant change, people are still going to do coin magic, no matter how much YOU hate it.

Sep 24, 2007
Morgician- you're right, but with proper misdirection, and the ability to shift the spectators attention and perspective, one can make any spectator into a "i enjoy magic" spectator instead of a "how did he do it" spectator. then, the problem no longer arises.

Mar 29, 2008
Thanks Chicken - and there is the reason this was a waste of time - the guy above you.

I bet the guy above you didn't even read my first posts...or any of the ones I removed because of guys like him.

Let's get a few things clear - I don't hate coin magic - and - I don't want people to stop doing it...actually the opposite is true of both those things - but that doesn't make the weaknesses any less true.

I love how motivating Cheaptrick is - I would bold this and make if font 72 - but I find that childish - as if you are yelling. You come across rude - especially for a guy just coming into this thread when it is almost closed and spouting off some low grade advice.

Regardless, how motivating - I find weaknesses in coin magic that I would like to overcome...and am - but you just take a temper tantrum on my views. I love coin magic - but just as in all mediums, there are weaknesses - I pointed some out - and what did you do with your brilliant mind?

Tell me to quit. Nice advice Tony Robbins! - I would probably take your own advice if this is what you have to offer the forum. Don't like what I say - don't read it. Move on. Because, ANYONE of merit that has taken the time to look at what the point is will see that these problems exist - AND perhaps one of them will help change coin magic - like I am doing. It sucks many methods are so transparent - however, you my friend may not do this. You will wait for one of us to discover how to make it better - then go perform it claiming the work as yours.

I OBVIOUSLY don't hate coin magic Cheaptrick - as I began a topic in coin magic that dominates in both views and posts - AND have offered practical advice that I removed - because guys like you - shouldn't get the good stuff that easy.

SO - if that is what you have to contribute to magic CHEAPTRICK - please keep your views to yourself - as this thread is about growth - not personal attacks and narrow minded advice. haha, just realize that last sentence kinda contradicted that last point - HOWEVER, ever notice how I have to keep defending myself from people that really contribute NOTHING!

Well - Chicken, thanks. Always appreciated your thoughts - issues are still the same - good luck.

May 26, 2008
This is not about the presentational angle of coin magic, this is about the technical angle of coin magic. In my opinion, I don't think that coin magic suffers technically at all. There are so many ways of showing your hands empty, of confusing the spectators, of convincing them that the coin has really gone. We have palms, concealments, ditches, change-over palms, reproductions, sucker vanishes (spider vanish) etc. Now combine that with good presentation and a good routine, and you can get many killer effects that the spectator will not be able to explain to themselves as 'it was in the other hand,' or 'it went up his sleeve.' That's one thing I love about coin magic; there are many spectators who think they know the whole secret behind coin magic because they know how to do a French drop and therefore know that the coin is not really going into your hand, but are completely confused when the coin reappears or when you show your hands empty or when you actually put the coin into your hand and do a steal. I think that coin magic is actually stronger that way. The spectator has already thought of a solution, but when that solution is proven wrong they are left with nothing except amazement.

Mar 29, 2008
Hey Jitty - although I agree with you - and it is not just presentational - which is what I talked about for the most part in the past - but in my opinion, there are weak methods - most of the methods you listed fall into the category of "it's hiding in the other hand" I wish we could sit in person so I could demonstrait the weaknesses of method in person. It would depend on the effect we selected, but I could sit and show you some classic examples of weak method and why coins can be dismissed or don't provide that "no out" magic experience.

That being said - I find for the most part - out of the methods you named, there is much "unnatural" movement that occurs. Only coin magicians handle coins that way - I just feel this triggers subliminal alarms that allows people...although fooled by the methods - to say - things like:

hand is quicker than the eye
it's in the other hand
I saw he did something - but I don't know what it is - so he fooled me

Many people don't voice these concerns - so maybe I challenge you to start asking those that watch your magic - just don't take the reactions as success.

That being said - Jitty, I use and do all those methods - and I agree that strong method and presentatoin create a strong magic experience - however, I see very few that do this....and even out of those that do - I find it still lacks.

Jitty - we will talk more. Thanks...you keep sucking me in.

Jun 29, 2008
You are wrong. Coin magic is good. The entire point of magic is to defy logic. Why should something that has the sole purpose of defying logic need logic. That ruins the whole thing. You can know just a few coin vanishes and some productions and be able to give your audience and amazing performance. Odds are when you walk up to someone and ask to borrow a coin they will most likely say that they have a coin and you can borrow it for a second. Walk up to an audience and ask to borrow a pack of playing cards and they will look at you like you are from another planet and say no they don't have a pack of playing cards with them. Coins are available in the majority of situations and you can amaze your audiences with them. If you think they suck and don't use them, your loss.

WOW!!

My favorite thread is still running. Anyways at the request of Morgician and myself if that makes any sense I took some time out and pressed his theories of coin magic to get a birds eye view of his pespective and this is what I've concluded. From an open door of reality of your advice Ive been out performing nothing but coin magic for the past month to see how the reactions have changed, or even acceptance of me for that matter and this is what I've come to. You've hit the nail on the head. Its hard to see were Morgicians coming from cause Ive always mixed my routines with props, cards, and coins so there was no real degree for me to make a judgement call on what part of my magic seems weaker to my audience. The variation of tricks I carried with me varied from Okito to Shells, Kangaroo to Silver Dream, Copper to Silver, $1.35 to Scotch and Soda, and Digital Dissolve. I pushed on better performances rather than the "what trick should I carry". While the reactions for most people really didnt change I did experience right from the get go more hecklers and skeptics than usuall.

But I wondered did I give these people that warm fuzzy feeling like I usually do when using a variety of tricks? I'm torn on this subject because I feel ineviatably its up to us to make the audience believe what where doing is real not the act itself but the story where telling. So in essence its the story and thats it that will help the issue of coin magic being an excepted source of magical entertainment for the laymen audience. So whats the next step how do we build that story to make it entertaining and logical enough to be excepted? Easy don't! Let it be known to your audience before you begin. Tell them " Hey I know everything you've seen so far is pretty magical but would you like to see something thats just a little bit more visual and fun for you guys to watch, my uncle used to do coin tricks when I was a little runt and I do this now to honor him so if you just bare with me I think you guys will really enjoy this"! Giving a disclaimer of sort seems to have given me a better foot hold this past month in my performances. Now I go back to those places and they dont ask me "hey you got those cards on you"? they ask me " hey you got your coins I want you to show my friends something". While all this seems trivial to some I think this is a direction that can be taken to help the least to help build a stronger acceptance of coin magic from our audiences.

Shane

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 24, 2007
Sorax- sure you can do an "amazing performance," with some random assortment of vanishing and reappearing- but can you be remembered? can you emotionally touch the spectator, giving them an experience more than bewilderment?

I'm going to say something quick to avoid having to start a new thread: why would you vanish a coin? If you can give me a valid answer to this, i will actually be amazed. WHY would you vanish a coin? When a spectator watches any form of entertainment, be it juggling, magic, knife throwing, acrobatics, etc., they will think "oh, i wish i could do that."
But when they see you vanishing a coin? They admire the skill, but they don't wish they could do that. they are not involved on any level. They see you produce a coin, they are involved on far more levels (i wish i could do that, how did he do that, i wan't to learn how to do that,etc.) The only way I have found to logically vanish a coin is to "do it by accident."

Mar 29, 2008
Hi guys,
Nice to see this is still a topic of interest. To steal the concept of Dunniger’s quote, “For those who (understand), no explanation is necessary – for those who do not, none will suffice”. I am starting to feel this way about the topic – Shane, thanks for understanding and doing your part for yourself and coin magic to improve the inherent problems. I really enjoyed your post.

Chicken – good to see you posting and questioning motivation and logic in our effects. Keep up the good work.

Sorax – You have some valid points…well, one - Coin magic is good; now to talk about your misguided attempt to dismiss this thread. I am not wrong. Actually, I think you are confused with the concept of logic. Something can be logical in premise, but defy logic. For example, look at MC Escher’s paintings/drawings – they are logical, but defy logic. You can have a logical premise in magic while having a plot that defies logic. I find your response very similar to those we have dealt with in the past, in that it lacks any real world experience and critical thinking skills – Ask yourself - Do you really think that someone who “hates” coin magic would spend so much time on the topic of coins? When you said, “If you think they suck and don't use them, your loss” I found this to show no understanding of our goal, which Shane nicely quoted from Nate Malini. I could reverse it and say, “keep doing coin magic the way you are doing it now…your loss”. Lastly, I find it very old school thinking to believe that because coins are common place that this is a pro, when it could be considered a con as well.

So, I have been doing much research and questioning on coin magic myself – trying different things. After showing random people some magic (random - as not friends or family, as they can be a tainted crowd) I asked these random people questions and listened to comments about what they saw. Here are some of the things that were said when asked about coin tricks, and sometimes coin tricks in relation to the card trick when it came to responses and enjoyment. There are actual responses I have written down from my show and others, with my interpretation in brackets.

“Every time I see coin magic, it just seems like juggling”

(I think the spectators way of saying, it seems method heavy with lots of moves that make no sense or lack logic. This kind of statement points to the general consensus of what is interpreted by many coin effects).

“I was disappointed you didn’t pull it from my ear” or “I am just glad you didn’t pull it from my ear, I think that is so corny”

(There is this preconceived concept that exists that coin magic is hokey. Coin effects tend to have, at least at first, the same sort of “rabbit out of a hat” reputation that makes people think this. Can we use this to our advantage)?

“Are those trick coins” or “Wow, your sleeves are up”

(I wrote these two together, because these are both common conception…not misconceptions, but conceptions on how coin magic is done. It is not a misconception, because it is true sometimes – it is odd. I have done ungimmicked and gimmicked versions of Hopping Halves – what do you think played better? Gimmicked? Because it looked moveless? Nope – the UNGIMMICKED version played better. Actually, I find with the exception of some shell (or shell variant like flipper or slippery Sam) that gimmicked coin effects appear…well, gimmicked. I will probably take heat for this, but this is just my experience both personally and in watching other magicians and the comments I hear. However, I roll my sleeves up to avoid the “using the sleeves” accusation, and Ortiz talks about the importance of doing this in Strong Magic. If this is so, do you think we have to stop using gimmicked coins to a certain extent? I think that a mix of sleights and gimmicks, as seen in shell work, may be the best combination).

I never liked coins, as they seem pretty simple to figure out – isn’t it just always in the other hand.

(For this girl, I wasn’t even doing an effect where this was true – however, this is common perception about coins. Even when I see someone mimic a coin magician with NO idea of method, they will replicate putting the coin in the other hand to make it vanish (Tyler Wilson shared this story with me too). I think this, once again, speaks to how method dependant coin magic seems to be. Also, I would like to point out the bold truth to this girl’s statement, as this IS often true. Moreover, I think many people can watch coin magic and realize that what they are seeing is sleight of hand – so the idea is to make coin magic look like there are no moves, this could be difficult, like I stated before coin magic is often so sleight dependant and move heavy. There are so many layers to other types of magic (like cards) that it really plays on the psychology of the spectator, and in turn they fool themselves, so although there is a method with cards – the barriers are very strong and creative…when in coin magic, unless they are gimmick heavy the barrier is exactly what people think. I wish we could find more barriers within coin work – but for what?).

Food for thought - thanks again.

Jul 19, 2008
Hi Morgician,
A very intelligent read indeed. Like always, written with passion. Kudos to you. There has been so much insightful discussion about the coin magic issue I'll do my best to add to it with intelligence and articulation. I've never written a comment as long as this. I hope to you the reader it's worth the read. As I don't have an answer to the coin dilemma I'll share some thoughts. I hope you find them informative. Like comedy, magic is subject to interpretation. Why is it that you tell a joke to one person, and they don't crack a smile? Tell that same joke to another and they're on the floor busting a gut. I have seen effects that have made me weak in the knees, but when I had another person see the same effect (in this particular case, by it's creator), they gave no reaction.

I have shown a coin effect to one group and they loved it. Another group made me question my ability due to lack of reaction. I'd like to think I'm adept at magic with coins, or rather magic in general. So......why did I connect with one group, and not another? Would I have connected if I had performed a different discipline? Since it's never the audiences's fault I'll have to assume It's me. I don't know. Much to think about.

People will suspend their disbelief with just about anything....except magic. Watch a ventriloquist. We all know it's a puppet, but we love it just the same. Go to a movie (I apologize, but I'm going to use a Morgician quote), do you ever hear anyone yell at the screen, "They're Actors!!!" Why do people flock to live theatre? Hell....it's just a bunch of people talking on a stage. But people love live theatre. And at times will become teary eyed at the performance.

Why does an audience put up a wall when it comes to magic? As magicians our job is to break down that wall (politely of course), and ultimately connect with that person or persons. If people like you, they'll like your magic. Whatever it is. I love coins, and when I perform with them my audience sees that I love coins. I would go so far to say I do coin effects more than any other type of magic. And just so we're all clear, I treat my card magic with as much respect. I'll admit I don't always cover all the magic food groups in my coin effects (plot, routining, conviction, clarity of effect, climax, internal logic et al), but what matters is that I strive to do so. When working on a coin effect strive to cover as many of the magical facets as possible. Because like a joke, you don't know what nerve you'll hit. If you cover all the bases, you are far more likely hit that magical nerve to create (as Paul Harris puts it) "White Light Astonishment." This is what magicians should strive to achieve in each of their performances.

If coin magic "sucks" then it's because the performer lacked, or was too lazy to put in the time, care, respect and effort it takes to create a magical moment with coins. This too often is the problem with those who (as Paul Gertner puts it), "Buy a thumbtip and an invisible deck and call themselves a magician." If you perform a coin vanish, and the audience knew it was in the other hand, then sorry....YOUR coin magic sucks, NOT coin magic. But I will say that with any other magical venue. If you received a poor reaction from a card effect, then the card effect needs to be re-evaluated. I'll watch some magicians who will say, "I've been perfoming magic for 30 years." And I'm thinking, "During your 30 years was any time devoted to practicing?"

I do not consider myself a magician, but rather a student of magic. I've got a long way to go before I get to do that. If ANY effect does not get the reaction you were hoping for ask yourself why. Seek out those more experienced than you for assistance. Leave your ego at the door. There are far too many bad magicians. If you're like me I'm sure you don't want to be one of them. Thank you for your time.

Mar 29, 2008
Hey Nikajo,

Thanks for posting - I like much of what you said. Nevertheless - and it is too bad you didn't get to read my additional posts that were removed due to protest because of having oto repeat the same arguments, and it is too bad you didn't get to read my additional posts that were removed due to protest because of having to repeat the same arguments.

ANYWAYS - I don't disagree that the performer has much to do with how the medium is received - nevertheless, I find that methods and standards of deceptions of the coins is still at it's infancy. Moreover, I feel that when coin effects are put under the scrutiny of "that guy" that just "wants to know", he can find easier outs when watching coin related methods. This isn't a coin verus other mediums, you could replace coins with dice...poker chips...any small objects - I find the methods don't hold up, nor do many of the effects offered with them; on both a logical presetnational concept and the standard of deception it chooses.

I realize you are not arguing that entertainment comes over the scrutiny of method - but that being entertaining is a key part of enjoying an effect. However, I feel the effect ALSO has to be entertaining, as it is the plot. It is like having a great actor in a movie, but know susbstance to plot to back it up - it is why someone can win an Oscar for one role in a movie, but not even be noticed in the next. Plot helps develop the actor and vice versa - at least that is what I would think you were suggesting.

That being said - can you name any magicians you have seen do coin work, or this type of small object sleight of hand, not including yourself - that displays this connected nature and is enjoyable to watch? The best coin guys are not performers like you speak of - most are enjoyable to watch do sleight of hand - but not entertaining.

I think you have certainly identified another area that coin magic (again, see similar small object magic) suffers in - however, I think method of all forms - motivation, logical plots, and physical method also needs to be improved for magic to leave the same white light astonishment that exists in other mediums.

Anyhow, my passion that I write from is to help coins grow - it wasn't always like that, as you can attest - I hated coins - but as I get older, I realize that problems are chances to grow and develop...I see potential where I once saw only failure and problems.

Nevertheless, if we don't address these issues and question the status quo of magic methods - how are we to progress magic for the next generation?

I am glad you contributed - as your thoughts add to an overlooked issue and have many valid points.

Any magician who claims that coin magic is not good, or claims these problems, can't be a talented magician.

If you have a problem with an effect, you need to change it. Money already has an emotional hook. Not a lot of people are doing that well with money, so the fact that to you money dissappears and reappears at will is amazing because "wow, if I could make money dissappear and appear at will, I would have no money problems" which is something that all people would want.

Another aspect to the coin magic is the presentation, you need to change the presentation to make sense for you. If you don't like the presentation then use that thing between your ears, your brain, unless you don't seem to have one, which is what it seems like. You can't seem to think for yourself, so you're just becoming like everyone else, so what makes you different? Nothing!

Become yourself, don't just hate something, change it and welcome it, your life will be so much healthier, which you seem to need.

Mar 29, 2008
It is odd that your username is Gambit - as that superhero does cards, and not coins too...

Anyhow, before you start slinging mud and saying that I can't be talented because I believe coins have an inherent weakness, and have many problems in method - in the creation of continuous lost leaders that need to become compiled in order to create confusion, rather than deceptive - I would hope you would follow it up with more than with a blanket statement of how to improve coin magic.

Actually, in your "brilliant post" you offer NO real solid advice. Please give me a solid example.

Also - I know I deleted many of my follow up posts - but re-read the ones that I left behind. This thread was full of great things, that will be in my book.

I feel coin magic is at it's infancy, and has much room for growth. Actually, the fact that you don't see the same, makes me question your own abilities in magic and if you are using "that thing between your ears"...your eyes - to see how poor in contruction coin magic is when it comes to the standards of deception and what audiences think. Coin magic is not hard for people to figure out...there are many problems with it...MANY.

That being said - I am working on the solution, so if you really do want to here what I am doing to improve coin magic, and the problems that you may have experienced, but dismissed because you are too busy "being yourself", then please write...in the meantime Gambit, if you have nothing better to do than sling mud by name calling and trying to be condesending - then I look forward to speaking with Doug in getting you banned, as you are just another useless member.

Good day.

While I have no intention of apologizing, I will say this much. I am not mudslinging at all, I have not said anything you did not deserve. You do think that coin magic has the possibilities of being great, but then again you don't like it because of where it is. Coin magic is exactly what it sounds like, Magic. Most often it is not something that does have a hook, most often there is not a grand presentation to it, but there is so much room for it. All I am saying is that instead of complaining about something, then change it. That is how we create and further magic. No one has got any where by complaining. Now I did give you advice, I was just hoping you would read between the lines - and I don't mean the grey blank places. And obviously you don't know anything about me if you are calling me "useless". Maybe with the word "member" following I might be, but I can say that I am for from useless. By working every weekend, traveling for each job across a state or two, consulting for DVD's and performing everyday in clubs/bars I will go out of my way to state that I am not useless, but what about you? Just another person complaining about something and not doing anything to change it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results