Geek and Bizzare Magic

Sep 1, 2007
To try and help with illustration, here's a couple sources of bizarre magic that might help show the difference with geek magic.

Capricornian Tales by Christian Chelman
Hauntiques by Christian Chelman
Burn Witch Burn by Docc Hilford
Pentalogy by R. Shane
Restless Plots by Mark Edward
Garden of the Strange by Caleb Strange
A Darker Light by Kotah

Sep 1, 2007
I second these, thumbs up on hauntiques, TARASABOS? Is a great effect.

Tarasabos is quite brilliant. Very ballsy, too. I'm amazed how guys like Rick Maue and Sean Fields can walk into an Office Depot with 20 bucks for an hour and come out with a full stage act.

Hey Cedric....Steerpike is a real valuable resource when it comes to this genre of magic. In fact, he's working on something that I think you'll really appreciate. I don't want to give away anything more, but I'm sure if you talk to him he'll tell you about it.
thanks guys....i really appreciate that Baller...i'm taking notes on what you guys have to say....i really appreciate that...

I perform a lot of geek and freak effects, and I'll vouch for just about every suggestion steer gave. I'd also receomend a Geek Magic dvd thats on the market. I beleive Geek Magic is the title. That should get you on the road to learning some of the effects in no time.

Please be aware though that Geek and Freak magic IS NOT SAFE! Many of the effects in this genre are infact very real and highly dangerous to yourself and those around you should you not be completely in control and understanding of what it is you are doing. Injuries resulting from Geek and Freak style effects can be anything small such as cuts and burns upto death.

I do not recomend that any Geek or Freak style effects be learned from just a book or DVD. I encourage you to search out someone local who performs the effects you want to learn, and pay them to teach you their methods.

I wish you the best in your quest for new material, if you have any other questions, I'd be glad to answer them.

Draven.

I hate to nitpick BUT these effects are not magic at all. These are sideshow demonstrations. (Mind you magic and sideshow have blurred lines in today's world) Very rarely should you mix sideshow and magic because if even ONE thing is suspect, the real stuff loses it's impact. There has to be a definite line that people can see when you do both.

If you do something in a sideshow that is magic based, you should present it as a sideshow effect. (Fixing a Rubik's cube in yer mouth, Thread, razor blades, etc)

Now that I have straightened that out (Mostly for my own amusement) my advice is to look at what's available, and invent your own stuff. Andrew Mayne has a number of weird things that can be adapted. Heck even I have a video on the Razor Blade Illusion (SHAMELESS PLUG!!)

Hey Steerpike, what kinda stuff you got in that pdf?

I missed this post,

Ladies and Gentelmen, Bizzaro.

Sep 1, 2007
Hey Steerpike, what kinda stuff you got in that pdf?

Sorry I missed this earlier. Exalt of the Weird is mostly a compilation of performance theory on making bizarre magic more palatable to audiences while still maintaining theatricality. There are only three actual effect in there: Long Distance, Ofuda, and Solder.

A big part of the thesis is that magic is theater, and that we need to remember that.

And just so people don't see this as completely shameless self-advertising, thank you for making the point about drawing a line between sideshow stunts and magic.

May 12, 2009
Check out a DVD called Geek Magic by Thomas Medina. I thought it had some pretty cool effects.

Just don't do the glass eating... That really isn't an effect you should learn from a DVD. It's stupid dangerous and should be taught by a live (quallified) instructor.

Frankly, the only person I'd feel safe learning this from would be Todd Robbins. But that's just me.

Jul 12, 2008
Kendal
I hate to nitpick BUT these effects are not magic at all. These are sideshow demonstrations. (Mind you magic and sideshow have blurred lines in today's world) Very rarely should you mix sideshow and magic because if even ONE thing is suspect, the real stuff loses it's impact. There has to be a definite line that people can see when you do both.

If you do something in a sideshow that is magic based, you should present it as a sideshow effect. (Fixing a Rubik's cube in yer mouth, Thread, razor blades, etc)

I beg to differ. Sometimes when I perform the human blockhead, I treat it as though it is a magic trick rather than a stunt, and more often than not, people are kmore impressed because it is so real they cannot see how else it can be done, but they're not sure it's p[ossible anyway and with youj telling them it's not, they are left with no options but to assume that they are being fooled enormously, and because it's real you will never be caught out.

Obviously this theory won't work with everything but still.....

I beg to differ. Sometimes when I perform the human blockhead, I treat it as though it is a magic trick rather than a stunt, and more often than not, people are kmore impressed because it is so real they cannot see how else it can be done, but they're not sure it's p[ossible anyway and with youj telling them it's not, they are left with no options but to assume that they are being fooled enormously, and because it's real you will never be caught out.

I disagree. I can't see this effect working as well when performed as just a "trick". It really takes the punch out of what you are doing if the audience can assume there is a cheap, easy, "feel good" way out.

NOOOOOO!

After I performed the blockhead at school, people thought it was a magic trick. I quickly dispelled it with this explanation. "Here is a nail, its real *Tapped it on someones hands* I then take this nail and push it into my nose, *inserts nail, and then withdraw it.* Any explanation? I listen to them, and then I say no, this is how I do it. First I take a surgical steel rod, and make sure it is sanitized by boiling it. Next I tape off the depth that I want my piercing to be. I then take a hammer and hammer the sharpened rod into my nose. I have to leave it there for 8 months before I can take it out. That is how I do it.

Bizzaro

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Vegas
www.smappdooda.com
Just don't do the glass eating... That really isn't an effect you should learn from a DVD. It's stupid dangerous and should be taught by a live (quallified) instructor.

Frankly, the only person I'd feel safe learning this from would be Todd Robbins. But that's just me.

I think Zamora would be a qualified instructor as well.

Also, Todd Robbins will charge you a WAD of cash to learn it ha ha.

There is a DVD that teaches a "Cheat" way to eat glass. I know a girl who does that because she is a singer and worried about damaged vocal cords. (This same girl used to "eat" carpet tacks too.)

Sep 1, 2007
There is a DVD that teaches a "Cheat" way to eat glass.

There's also a method for that in Mark Edward's Restless Plots.

I know a girl who does that because she is a singer and worried about damaged vocal cords. (This same girl used to "eat" carpet tacks too.)

Oh god, I'm glad you said tacks.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
How the hell would eating glass strengthen your vocal cords? Wouldn't it be the same effect has just giving yourself a tracheotomy and saying "Screw my career."

Jul 12, 2008
Kendal
NOOOOOO!

After I performed the blockhead at school, people thought it was a magic trick. I quickly dispelled it with this explanation. "Here is a nail, its real *Tapped it on someones hands* I then take this nail and push it into my nose, *inserts nail, and then withdraw it.* Any explanation? I listen to them, and then I say no, this is how I do it. First I take a surgical steel rod, and make sure it is sanitized by boiling it. Next I tape off the depth that I want my piercing to be. I then take a hammer and hammer the sharpened rod into my nose. I have to leave it there for 8 months before I can take it out. That is how I do it.
Well I make sure that I let someone check the nail before and after the performance, and if someone is brave enough, I invite them to hold the end of the nail still and pull my head back from it, so they are basically taking the nail out for me. I then make a point of not touching it again before they check it (I hand them a disinfectant pad of some sort so they can clean it themselves) so that I can't have switched it whilst cleaning it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results