Go.Out.Perform.

May 31, 2008
First of all, I dearly hope that you guys actually read the things Im just going to write and actually make a comment about it or leave a suggestion, im thinking of a interesenting project right now.

Now, before I continue, I must warn you, a lot of people are going to feel offended by this post, but please, bear with me and continue reading.

Onto the main thing, I want to ask everybody a question.....If we take magic away from you, what's left? I mean, lets be completely honest, magic is for a lot of us, the way we intend to outstand from the pack, I mean, we are humans, and as Humans we are looking fro the aprovation from others...

I mean really, take magic away from you, would you still be a interesting person?would you still be able to go to any stranger and keep them enterteined, or maintan a good conversation WITHOUTH magic? I know that magic is our way to shine, our way to attract attention ( we love it don't we?) and sadly, I feel that a lot of people here base their social status on magic only, and that it's just plain sad, take the other magician at my school for an example, everybody that I know that knows him tells me that he is a OK performer, the sad thing its when I ask about him NON magic related, the only answer that I have had is "well, I have only spoken to him when he does magic"

Shakutau leaved me thinking, so, Im starting a little project in the upcoming weeks based on what he told me... the project its this:

Ill go to strangers, and ill try to begin a conversation with them, witouth keeping them bored, AND WITHOUTH MAGIC, and let's see how that plays, then, Ill do the same thing but while recording and trying to make them to feel comfortable with it while gaining rapport, I think that will improve my magic far better than practicing a sleight like crazy..

Ill do this in the upcoming weeks, but for now I leave you guys with the question:

Withouth magic, are you still interesting? Or witouht it you are just a dork wich nobody notices?

Think about it and speak your mind.

I had been doing magic for about four years, but I stopped for a month. No change. People were still nice to me, and I still had conversations with people. I don't perform magic 24/7, I usually talk to someone, show them an effect, then continue talking (unless they want to see more.)

Sep 15, 2007
www.myspace.com
I had been doing magic for about four years, but I stopped for a month. No change. People were still nice to me, and I still had conversations with people. I don't perform magic 24/7, I usually talk to someone, show them an effect, then continue talking (unless they want to see more.)

Almost the same. They kept askin' me to do some more magic, but i said no. They eventually got the idea and it was a normal day... I hate normal days lol

Dec 1, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
Shakutau leaved me thinking, so, Im starting a little project in the upcoming weeks based on what he told me... the project its this:

Ill go to strangers, and ill try to begin a conversation with them, witouth keeping them bored, AND WITHOUTH MAGIC, and let's see how that plays, then, Ill do the same thing but while recording and trying to make them to feel comfortable with it while gaining rapport, I think that will improve my magic far better than practicing a sleight like crazy..

Ill do this in the upcoming weeks, but for now I leave you guys with the question:

Withouth magic, are you still interesting? Or witouht it you are just a dork wich nobody notices?

That idea sounds very interesting, it takes lot of confidence to do something like that, I respect it lots and look forward to the results!

As for your question, of course I'm going to say that I build rapport, am an entertaining and likable person... because I am me ;).

Really it'd be awesome if you knew exactly how everyone you ever met felt and feels about you... until I finish my newest gadget though, it's not a possibility. Still, in my opinion at least, I am a genuinely fun person.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
I received this from Lee Asher, it would be a good idea if you guys suscribe to his mailing list, some good info there :).

I would like to share something personal with you.

For many years, I was a downhill skier, until an accident, accompanied by extensive surgery, which ended my one of my favorite avocations.

Skiing is a lot like the art of magic – when you’re older, learning to ski can be a terrifying process. Just like learning magic can be a terrifying process too.

You’re scared of falling, breaking your legs, neck and back, and never walking again. And of course, your first few close calls attest that your fears are well founded – it hurts like hell!

That’s why it’s good to learn when you’re young.

When teens fall, by comparison to older students, they ‘bounce.’ Before you know it, they’re up on their feet and ready to try again. And the younger the student, the easier the journey is – the young feel no fear; they’ll try anything.

Metaphorically, learning to perform magic is the same.

The young can fail repeatedly without ever experiencing a bruise. The older you get in magic, the more it hurts to fall on your ‘magical butt.’ Getting caught in the middle of the move, dealing ineffectively with a heckler, and other embarrassing situations are never fun – no matter what your age.

It’s time for a reality check! Do you actually go out and perform magic, or do you just practice magic at home?

If what you like about magic is the quiet meditation of practice, and the adoration of your fellow card enthusiasts - sitting at home in front of the practice mirror is fine.

If, however, you want to be a CardStar, you’re going to have to take a different attitude.

It might be time to shed the mirror and find your audience.

Speak with you very soon.

Cheers,
Lee Asher

May 31, 2008
Street Magic videos...

Not my best:

http://www.vimeo.com/5813269

Title of Performance: That's Nasty
Effects performed: My version of the classic twisting arm illusion
Audience: They were walking around not really doing much. They seemed to be from about 12 to 17
The Performance: My patter was pretty good, not much of a reaction. I worked on my patter a lot for this effect, and I thought the fact that one of them had only seen card tricks before helped me a lot.

http://www.vimeo.com/5813679

Title of Performance: Oh cool...
Effects performed: "Bullet - Coin Through Bottle" by Mathew Mello and Nick Verna. One of my favorite effects to perform.
Audience: A skater dude, he looked to be about twelve. Fairly soft-spoken.
The Performance: My patter was almost non-existant. I had a bad hot dog about a half-hour before, and I was feeling kind of sick. I didn't stress the fact that penetrations defy the laws of physics. I really wish I could re-do that performance.

http://www.vimeo.com/5813783

Title of Performance: Those Trick Cards
Effects performed: the Ambitous Card Routine
Audience: A group of people at a farmer's market. My main spectators were a boy who looked a few years younger than me, and a girl who looked a few years older than me. I caught their attention while practicing flourishing.
The Performance: My patter was mediocre. It was slightly better than the, "look I'll put it in the middle and it rises to the top" simply because I was more loose and interacted with my spectators. If I hadn't interacted with them it would've been a terrible performance. I usually do a longer routine in which I talk about Dai Vernon and Houdini, but they were kind of in a hurry. My sleights were fine except maybe my Shapeshifter. The camera wasn't at a very good angle for my LePaul Bluff Pass.

I'm going to do one more big street magic video, and then take a break from street magic for a while. I'm going to work on my children's show.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Not my best:

http://www.vimeo.com/5813269

Title of Performance: That's Nasty
Effects performed: My version of the classic twisting arm illusion
Audience: They were walking around not really doing much. They seemed to be from about 12 to 17
The Performance: My patter was pretty good, not much of a reaction. I worked on my patter a lot for this effect, and I thought the fact that one of them had only seen card tricks before helped me a lot.

The patter was kinda good, It actually shows that you practiced it, I would have liked to see a bit more of the reactions of the people there, remember you dont need a loud scream to know that your trick was good.

Title of Performance: Oh cool...
Effects performed: "Bullet - Coin Through Bottle" by Mathew Mello and Nick Verna. One of my favorite effects to perform.
Audience: A skater dude, he looked to be about twelve. Fairly soft-spoken.
The Performance: My patter was almost non-existant. I had a bad hot dog about a half-hour before, and I was feeling kind of sick. I didn't stress the fact that penetrations defy the laws of physics. I really wish I could re-do that performance.

The thing that I noticed was that you were super obvious with your patter I mean things like "touch the cap is solid right" " tap it with the coin, is solid right?" I mean is waaay to obvious to the spectator, for things like that you dont need a verbal convincer, is just simple as taking the coin and taping it againts the cap once, also, there was a hugeeee motion when you did the penetration of the coin,so it looked fishy and thus it could have tipped him somehow that something "secret" happened there.

Title of Performance: Those Trick Cards
Effects performed: the Ambitous Card Routine
Audience: A group of people at a farmer's market. My main spectators were a boy who looked a few years younger than me, and a girl who looked a few years older than me. I caught their attention while practicing flourishing.
The Performance: My patter was mediocre. It was slightly better than the, "look I'll put it in the middle and it rises to the top" simply because I was more loose and interacted with my spectators. If I hadn't interacted with them it would've been a terrible performance. I usually do a longer routine in which I talk about Dai Vernon and Houdini, but they were kind of in a hurry. My sleights were fine except maybe my Shapeshifter. The camera wasn't at a very good angle for my LePaul Bluff Pass.

Sorry but I didnt see any interaction at all, and even "ill put the card in the middle and it will go to the top" is better patter than "look look, watch watch."

Another thing was, you were going like ultra super fast with the routine! you didnt left room to the effect to "breathe" and to gain reactions, there wasnt hype at all.

I dont bought the "the camera angle was bad for my bluff pass" your hand was beyond akward and you actually almost palmed the card there, the replace of the card was just off, and I dont get how the heck did you pulled that off withouth them noticing.

You should listen to the spectators, you were way to focused in how the routine was going to go and you didnt listened to them, I bet that you just decided to do a ACR on the fly and didnt had the routine practiced. It actually looked like you were just Improvising the whole routine, and thats the worst things you could have done. There was even this part where the girl asked you for the deck and you could have adapted there to make her do the rising, but you just handed the deck, it would have been a extra kicker if the girl made the card "jump to the top".

On a side note you have this Blaine kinda character around your performance, and it could work for you, but it is kinda boring to watch after a while.

Dont take my words in a bad way, I know I can sound like a prick most of the times, but just take this and improve your performance.

You are a great performer Davey, looking forward to see more stuff from you :).

Sep 15, 2007
www.myspace.com
I don't think people understand Blaine's character. He is playing the part of a modern day Shaman. I'll quote him... "...An urban shaman, an unexplainable, mysterious, but ultimately real guy who walks up to people in the street, is in their lives for a moment, then out of their lives, after having added some amazement to their day."

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
I don't think people understand Blaine's character. He is playing the part of a modern day Shaman. I'll quote him... "...An urban shaman, an unexplainable, mysterious, but ultimately real guy who walks up to people in the street, is in their lives for a moment, then out of their lives, after having added some amazement to their day."

Yes, but he actually knows how to play that character to his convenience, we cant just do a character because we think its cool, having a character its supposedly to aid our performance, not ruin it.

Me for example, if I use the funny guy kinda hypnotist thing its because is something that feels believable for me, something thats actually part of my personality and it helps me during performances ;).

Sep 15, 2007
www.myspace.com
Yes, but he actually knows how to play that character to his convenience, we cant just do a character because we think its cool, having a character its supposedly to aid our performance, not ruin it.

Me for example, if I use the funny guy kinda hypnotist thing its because is something that feels believable for me, something thats actually part of my personality and it helps me during performances ;).

Correct. I just here a lot of talk about Blaine and his performance (and arguing about it). So I thought I would just quote him so everyone would shut up. but not you, you just used it as an example. :)

May 31, 2008
The patter was kinda good, It actually shows that you practiced it, I would have liked to see a bit more of the reactions of the people there, remember you dont need a loud scream to know that your trick was good.

Thank you for the kind words, I felt that it was my best performance as well. I'm very proud of my presentation and the method behind that illusion.

The thing that I noticed was that you were super obvious with your patter I mean things like "touch the cap is solid right" " tap it with the coin, is solid right?" I mean is waaay to obvious to the spectator, for things like that you dont need a verbal convincer, is just simple as taking the coin and taping it againts the cap once, also, there was a hugeeee motion when you did the penetration of the coin,so it looked fishy and thus it could have tipped him somehow that something "secret" happened there.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. That's how Justin presented it for the most part on the DVD, only much better. I rewatched, and I'm not quite sure what you're saying about the "hugeee motion" Are you talking about one of my hands or my body?

Sorry but I didnt see any interaction at all, and even "ill put the card in the middle and it will go to the top" is better patter than "look look, watch watch."

Another thing was, you were going like ultra super fast with the routine! you didnt left room to the effect to "breathe" and to gain reactions, there wasnt hype at all.

I dont bought the "the camera angle was bad for my bluff pass" your hand was beyond akward and you actually almost palmed the card there, the replace of the card was just off, and I dont get how the heck did you pulled that off withouth them noticing.

You should listen to the spectators, you were way to focused in how the routine was going to go and you didnt listened to them, I bet that you just decided to do a ACR on the fly and didnt had the routine practiced. It actually looked like you were just Improvising the whole routine, and thats the worst things you could have done. There was even this part where the girl asked you for the deck and you could have adapted there to make her do the rising, but you just handed the deck, it would have been a extra kicker if the girl made the card "jump to the top".

Ok, I see what you're saying. I wasn't interacting a lot, but I did laugh with them and what not.

I 100% agree with that statement.

Hmm...that wasn't the best LePaul Bluff pass I've ever done, but it wasn't the worst either. I've never had a problem with my bluff pass for about two years. I'll be getting Wayne's 1-ON-1 about, or possible Crash Course 2.

You are partially correct. I was planning on doing an ACR, but not this particular ACR. I usually use a different, much better, one where I talk about how Dai Vernon fooled Houdini, and I end it with either card to mouth or Riot. (I would've done card to mouth) I noticed that the Farmer's Market was closing, and I had to act fast, and I was already having him sign the card, so I had to do an improvised (badly) ACR. Like I said I'm not proud of this routine or the coin through bottle. I would've loved to make the card jump to the top while it was in her hands, but I have no idea how to do that. Like I said, it wasn't my usual, practiced, scripted ACR, and I'm not proud of it.

On a side note you have this Blaine kinda character around your performance, and it could work for you, but it is kinda boring to watch after a while.

Dont take my words in a bad way, I know I can sound like a prick most of the times, but just take this and improve your performance.

You are a great performer Davey, looking forward to see more stuff from you :).

Yes, I do have sort of a David Blaine character. I went through a phase about three years ago where I was full on Blaine. I'm trying to slowly move away from that, and become more of myself when I perform. I naturally am shy at first, and then become more out going and funny, I think that something like that, (only more exaggerated) could work quite well for street magic.

I don't take them in a bad way, I appreciate that you took that time to give me criticism.

Thanks, more to come in a few weeks.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results