How did you do that?

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I've been trying to come up with a meaningful, sincere way of answering that question without having to resort to cliched one liners and without breaking the illusion/magic.

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
I'm still trying to figure out how to answer people when they ask "Where did you learn that?"
I don't wanna say some lame cliche or say some lame joke, but something sincere without having to say, "Yeah I bought a dvd online and learned it."

Nov 27, 2009
"Where did you learn that?"
I always say "books." Usually it's true, and in todays culture, no one will inquire any further unless they're truly interested.

"How'd you do that?"
I used the old, "I sold my soul to the devil" line today. First time I've used that, it kinda worked. I usually say, "I don't know," or something like that. It always gets funny looks. I like the idea of playing dumb, like you didn't even know that you did something cool, but I've never done it cuz I never remember that I could do that.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
First off, there are two different ways the expression "how did you do that" is used. The first is an expression of disbelief, translated as I can't believe what I just saw. No response is needed. The second is a genuine question where they want to know the method for what you did. Either way, I usually respond by going over what happened in the effect.

"Well, you picked a card, showed it to everyone, put it back in the deck and then I waived my hand over the deck... it actually gets a really complicated from there." Then transition into something else. "But that reminds me there is something else I wanted to show you...."

It may not work with everyone's style, but it works for me. It reinforces the idea of what they've seen, it seems like you are going to respond and then you stop because it is too difficult to explain. Then you transition on to something else. I do it in a lighthearted and disarming manner, but it is clear that I'm not going to give away how I did something. I also quickly redirect their attention to something else.

Feb 12, 2012
First off, there are two different ways the expression "how did you do that" is used. The first is an expression of disbelief, translated as I can't believe what I just saw. No response is needed. The second is a genuine question where they want to know the method for what you did. Either way, I usually respond by going over what happened in the effect.

"Well, you picked a card, showed it to everyone, put it back in the deck and then I waived my hand over the deck... it actually gets a really complicated from there." Then transition into something else. "But that reminds me there is something else I wanted to show you...."

It may not work with everyone's style, but it works for me. It reinforces the idea of what they've seen, it seems like you are going to respond and then you stop because it is too difficult to explain. Then you transition on to something else. I do it in a lighthearted and disarming manner, but it is clear that I'm not going to give away how I did something. I also quickly redirect their attention to something else.
I really love this response as well. I think it's the best way to do it if you don't have that mystique vibe to you that makes you seem like you actually posses dark magic powers haha :)

Jack

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2007
Decatur, GA
I like RealityOne's advice of reinforcing what happened in the effect then deflecting. I always say "with a lot of practice".

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
what i usually answer to someone who asks " how did you do that?" is "very well, thank you"

they wont inquire further unless they are truly interested.

As a purely personal note, I hate that response. First off it's very cliche. Second, it's patronizing and arrogant.

As Reality said, there's two ways people generally say this. The first is, "How did you do that!" It's an expression, not a question. You should not respond to this at all, as any response will probably break them out of that moment of wonder and destroy it with your hubris or clumsy attempts at humor. Just be quiet and let them experience it for a bit.

The other way people generally say it is, "How did you do that?" An actual question. I say you should still not respond, as often this is still just a response out of wonder. If you're performing well people might get into this mind set where they are just voicing their thoughts. I don't respond to this unless they ask more than once.

Personally, when I'm really entertained and fooled by something, I usually say, "How did you do that ..." .. I do not want a response. I'm not talking to the performer, I'm talking to myself. If you try to be witty, you'll distract me and I'll stop being entertained by you, I'll be irritated and wish you'd just shut up.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
As a purely personal note, I hate that response. First off it's very cliche. Second, it's patronizing and arrogant.

As Reality said, there's two ways people generally say this. The first is, "How did you do that!" It's an expression, not a question. You should not respond to this at all, as any response will probably break them out of that moment of wonder and destroy it with your hubris or clumsy attempts at humor. Just be quiet and let them experience it for a bit.

The other way people generally say it is, "How did you do that?" An actual question. I say you should still not respond, as often this is still just a response out of wonder. If you're performing well people might get into this mind set where they are just voicing their thoughts. I don't respond to this unless they ask more than once.

Personally, when I'm really entertained and fooled by something, I usually say, "How did you do that ..." .. I do not want a response. I'm not talking to the performer, I'm talking to myself. If you try to be witty, you'll distract me and I'll stop being entertained by you, I'll be irritated and wish you'd just shut up.

I recall reading in scripting magic a good way of responding is just a simple "Thank you." or something like "Did you like it?" "Thank You."

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I would venture to say that 9 times out of 10 for me, the "How did you do that?" is more of the amazement factor and they don't really care for a response.

This was funny today in class: I take out a packet trick sleeve....the little black ones....don't even get the cards out yet and 3 kids in my fourth grade class are yelling, "Seen this one before...."

I just had to chuckle to myself as I then proceeded to blow their minds with Bannon's Twisted Sisters. The look on their face after the kicker was priceless.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Just a thought... It seems that the "How did YOU so that?" response comes up more when the presentation is more centered on the magician. If the presentation involves the spectator there is less emphasis on the magician's skill. Also, I think that a logical, well written script also helps avoid that question. If your presentation is focused on what you are doing in the trick, the question seems to arise more.

I do like the "I'm glad you liked it" response. I also agree with Christopher, in that I usually dont respond unless they ask a second time.

One additional consideration is your character. Whatever response you provide has to be consistent with your character.

Rick:

Your story reminds me of when I was doing a Cub Scout show and I ask someone to pick a card. A kid yells out loudly, "I know this one." The whole room looked at him, so I couldnt ignore it. I stoped what I was doing and acted dejected. "Of all the card tricks in the world, I had to pick one that you know." I then act like I'm thinking. "OK, I'll do a different one." I turn to the spectator, spread the deck and say, "Can you pick a card, but not he same one you were going to pick before..."

As you know, with kids the I Know This One is more of a general sense of familiarity expressing that they have seen something similar. As anyone with kids know, they like to see things that are familiar (which is why they watch TV shows and movies multiple times). The kids I Know How You Do It is alsoa different response than adults. Chances are they dont know, but you want to keep them from going any further because every other kid will want to take a guess. The best response there is to encourage them to tell you after the show. For my kids show character, I can get away with saying, "I've always wanted to know, maybe you can tell me after the show." Younger kids forget about it, because they really dont know. If an older kid does know, they usually have an interest in magic and I'm glad to talk to them after the show.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 2, 2007
London
Just to chime in with some agreement, I don't think I've ever been asked "How did you do that?" in a way which suggested that the person really wanted to know. The truism, "magicians never reveal their secrets" is so ingrained in the culture that I don't think anyone asks the question with any real expectation of getting an answer. I think the best policy is to treat it as an expression of disbelief and amazement, rather than a query. Although, having said that, in some presentations, it might be a useful way to segue into the next effect if it has an explanatory feel to it.

Jan 9, 2012
From my experiences of people asking this question, it tends to be a mixture of both astonishment and genuine curiosity (as RealityOne had said).
In response to the genuine question where spectators are asking for an explanation, I'll usually just say nothing unless they persist. If they do persist, I'll just smile and say something like "that's cool, right?", or act astonished myself and shake my head in disbelief.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
If they are honest and sincere I try to mirror that and be as honest as possible. "I started doing magic when I was very young. This is a version of the legenday so and so's, such and such" I find if I can get a little history of the effect out that will satisfy most the time. I don't have to explain where I got it or even if I use the same method but I can honestly say that they influenced me in some way.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
I really like David and Rick's post, but I thought I'd add in my opinions.

I never use the lines "very well" or "a lot of practice" mainly because I want them to believe it is magic and not something I am doing behind the scenes with my hands or extra dirty work. Those sleights and gimmicks you use are/should be invisible to the spectator. They should not know what you are doing or that it requires practice. I think that destroys the magical outcome you spent so long to create for them.

To reiterate, I hardly ever answer this question anyways just because it is almost always rhetorical. They are thinking out loud in response to what you just performed simply because they can't hold it in. It is something they have never seen before, so of course they will react that way. However, to the side, if they are seriously interested in magic and want to know how I did it, I would get some background from them to make sure they are really interested in magic. Then, I will tell them I learned it from _____. If they are just asking profusely just to know how you did it and they aren't interested in magic, I will say something along the lines of what David said, "I'm glad you liked it, but I cannot say. Here, let me show you one more thing" and then the routine goes on from there.

:)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results