How do they do it?

May 17, 2008
how do proffecional magicians like Wayn Houchin and Chris Kenner or eaven Daniel Madison make money with out a stage show. I mean I kno you can alwas busk but I am having trouble making a lot of money by doing my magic . I have done a couple of big gigs that have gotten me like 200$ each but its not on a consistent basis. So the question commes back how do they make a living. I dont get paid enought from doing magic to live off it.

So if anyone can give me some help and or advice I would greatly appreciat it:cool:

Indiana.C

Jun 24, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
Marketing.

They create books/dvds and such which they end up selling. They market themselves enough that a lot of people end up buying these products, especially if they get good reviews. They could also put ads on their website which makes them money for however many hits they recieve each month. That's what I've come up with...

I would honestly doubt Magic DVDS etc would make the artists "THAT" much money.

It would make companies a large amount, but the artists themselves wouldnt be earning huge amounts.

Performing is where the money is at.

Im not a 'great' magician, and I earn around $800p/h with Business Gigs and Shows, and around $400p/h for private shows.

Get your name out there!

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
You'll notice that alot of the 'big' magicians do lots of different things, there's performance, creation, consultancy, endorsement, graphic design, video editing, website stuff, managing...

There aren't many pro's I know that make their money of just one aspect of the industry.

As Matt said above though, you can make a lot of cash just being a performer - I know guys that do trade shows the year round and earn upto £3k a day!!!

D.

You'll notice that alot of the 'big' magicians do lots of different things, there's performance, creation, consultancy, endorsement, graphic design, video editing, website stuff, managing...

There aren't many pro's I know that make their money of just one aspect of the industry.

As Matt said above though, you can make a lot of cash just being a performer - I know guys that do trade shows the year round and earn upto £3k a day!!!

D.
Exactly right D!

Alot of magicians, arent just magicians!

I work in management at a Bank, do Graphics and Web Design, and Magic!

Sep 17, 2008
Maryland
If you promote yourself enough to pick up at least one to three shows a week you make ok money. If you are doing a show and you land $200-$300 a night (not to mention some tips you may get). Calcualte it up. thats about 800-900 a week. That is a pretty good pay check. About 43K a year. Not to mention the DVD's/books and stuff they MIGHT sell. I am sure they make pretty good money.

Answer:
We could not make a living just making and selling DVD's to the community (we sound like a cult). We Make DVD's, we perform at magic conventions, lecture for local clubs and conventions, create, consult for other venues, and sometimes mentor others privately (if we have the time..I have quit that part a while ago because my schedule would not allow it).

JM

Nov 30, 2007
Just an example of Chris Kenner. He is the executive producer for David Copperfield and David Copperfield makes.....a lot.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results