Hypnotism

Oct 11, 2007
Hey T11, I was just wondering if anyone here knows where I can get products that combine magic with hypnotism, subliminal messages, etc. Also, I heard that Hypnotists make more than magicians (from a fellow magician), is that true?

Nov 25, 2007
Surreality
well there are books that are great such as K.E.N.T. by kenton knepper or luke jermay or even derren brown lecture video. it takes years of practice, and tons of dedication. and its learning about the psychology that makes a better magician.

Daniel Madison has some nice work that has to do with this. Hopefully we will get to see some of it on his upcoming release "Dangerous". He also has some things in his notes which can be found at http://www.danielmadison.co.uk.

Another person who is very skilled in this area is Derren Brown. Go to youtube and type in Derren Brown to see what he can do. It's quite unbelieveable really.

As NickSkye said K.E.N.T. is a great book and Luke Jermay is very good in this area as well. Find some of Luke Jermay's work at http://www.penguinmagic.com.

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
I've been doing hypnotism for almost twenty years, and stage hypnotism for about eight.

Derren Brown is a great start. I recommend "Tricks of the Mind" for a great overview without the supernatural stuff. Also Ormond McGill has a book called "The Encyclopedia of Stage Hypnosis" which is a pretty good book about how to set up a stage show performace.

The other suggestions above are great as well.

Now I don't know about making more than magicians. I don't think so. I would think it's about even depending on your skills. Part of the reason why I'm learning magic is to expand my program.

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions. :)

Sep 1, 2007
on Theory11.
I would suggest "Psychological Subtleties" by Banachek. He's more of a mentalist than a hypnotist, although I'm not entirely sure of the difference...

Sep 2, 2007
London
well there are books that are great such as K.E.N.T. by kenton knepper or luke jermay or even derren brown lecture video. it takes years of practice, and tons of dedication. and its learning about the psychology that makes a better magician.

Umm....just to clarify, "KENT" isn't anything to do with hypnosis or subliminal messages, although you could potentially use it to fake these skills. Also, it isn't written by Kenton Knepper, he just bought the rights to it, it's by John Mahood. You may be thinking of "Kentonism", which is as you described.

Also, whilst you could certainly spend your life learning about psychological influence, it doesn't take years of practice to learn some rudimentary skills that could be used in a magic performance. If you've got a decent amount of self-confidence then it'll take you about five minutes to learn how to put someone into a "trance-state", in which you can make them forget their name, or imagine a playing card to have changed, or something like that.

The products I would recommend to someone starting off in this field are "Sleight of Mind" by Ian Harling and Martin Nyrup, "Tricks of the Mind" by Derren Brown, "Building Blocks" by Luke Jermay, and the "Wonder Words" CDs by Kenton Knepper. After these, I would certainly suggest moving on to the early works of John Grinder and Richard Bandler (founders of NLP), and some other material by Mr Knepper and Ormond McGill.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just started doing Hypnotism like 1 week ago. I am a great magician and an Okay hypnotist. I decided to test out my few basic methods on 10 people. I did and here are my results:

Unmoveable Arm: In one form of hypnosis, after the volunteer has gone into a "trance" you hold their arm up and tell them that it is like a metal pole and will not move up or down. You say on the count of three they will keep their eyes shut but they must try to mov their arm up. They can't. This worked on 10 out of 10 people.

Unmoveable Eyelids: Basically the same thing as above only here while their eyes are closed they look at the ceiling with their eye balls and can't move their head. In the end instead of their arm failing to move their eyes don't open. This worked on 10 out of 10 people.

Refusal to Release: In this effect the volunteer holds an object while they are in the trance. It may be a spoon, fork, spork, pen, pencil, or marker. They are told that their arm is bionic and it will not release the object. On three they are told to release it. Their hand will not open. This worked on 8 out of 10 people.

Number Forgotten: They forget the number 4. They are then asked to count 1 through ten every time you touch a finger. they say: " ONE, TWO, THREE, FIVE, SIX, SEVEN, EIGHT, NINE, TEN, ELEVEN." You ask them how many fingers they have and they say eleven. Now you go backwards. They then remember the number. This worked on 5 out of 10 people.

Name Forgotten: The name says it all. This causes the volunteer to completely forget their first name. You then tell them that they will say it out loud when you snap but immidiately forget it again. They do. Then you count to three and their fine. Worked on 3 out of 10 people.

My own effect: Thin Air: WARNING: THIS IS VERY DANGEROUS AND HAS NOT YET BEEN PERFECTED. I HAVE ONLY DONE IT ONCE TO MY COUSIN. THIS CAN CAUSE DAMAGE TO THE BRAIN IF NOT DONE QUICK ENOUGH. Basically the persons breath thins and on the count of three they can not breath anymore.now you count backwards from three when you hit one they breath deeply. DO NOT TRY!!!!!!!

Those are mine so far.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results