I need a new ACR ending? Please advise

Sep 1, 2007
Just because something is good/perfect, it doesn't mean that it can't be done better.

Apparently, the definition of the word "perfect" was changed when I wasn't looking.

As told, my favourite ending is TSCTW, I suggest you try it. It must be very boring for you, if you just have ONE ending, which is "the perfect visual ending", and you never try something else, just because it's already good. Doing the same routine over and over again gets boring, try some variety, it's much more fun.

Oh god... It's like listening to white people talking about microbreweries.

The problem I see here is that all of you are so damn caught up in the latest and greatest. Magicians have this bizarre habit of thinking everything new must be better. And yet, when I look at videos around here of people ACR's, they're really not all that special. I have a 4-phase ACR that progresses as follows: Tilt - elevator - bluff pass - card to sealed envelope. And yet, I still kick the living hell out of most people's 8-phase ACR with all the latest and greatest. Anybody care to guess why that is?

Apr 15, 2009
Steerpike,
I agree that a short ACR is better. Mine has only ever been 4 phase.....very similar to your own, only ending with the pop up instead. Overkill is never good.

However, I am not seeking to lengthen the routine, but just to have another option for an ending. I don't really believe in perfection, but i have this down well enough now to need a new challenge. A fresh injection into the routines closing phase.

I guess... i seek to add to my arsenal, which surely isnt a bad thing :)

Thanks

Matt

Sep 1, 2007
I guess... i seek to add to my arsenal, which surely isnt a bad thing :)

Understandable, but consider that not everyone you're asking is going to get that concept. Most people are simply looking to buy the latest and greatest with progressively more outrageous spectacles. But spectacle is not a substitute for substance. And the more and more outrageous these new moves get, the less the routine comes to resemble what an ACR is by definition.

So yes, do experiment. But take a lot of these suggestions with a grain of salt.

Sep 1, 2007
Canada Eh?
To me, the perfect ending would be the S.W. Elevator or any variation on that. It is far more superior as an ender than any other one I know of.

I won free stuff from Element! It's 100% legit straight from the Element site

Sep 1, 2007
Personally, I tend to end my ACR with Hand to Mouth. It seems to catch the spectators even more off guard than usual, at least it seems so to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
And yet, I still kick the living hell out of most people's 8-phase ACR with all the latest and greatest. Anybody care to guess why that is?

-Because you're a better performer,
-Other people are not good performers?
-the latest and greatest is only the greatest when done in the right context
-People like simple, their small brains can handle it with little to no thought :)
-Too many climaxes ruins it for everyone involved (I mean you get your first and want a second, its better so you want a third, it gets better and then you're just kind of tired-the fourth is better which is good, and then you're excited because everything is coming to an end...and I'm not sure if this is even about ACR's anymore...) I guess I'm trying to say that you can easily exhaust an idea and make the moment less magical by repeating the same lines over and over to slightly different variations of the same damn thing.

I suppose that's 5 guesses...whatever

My suggestions:
Change the context of the whole routine instead of the moves themselves.
Set the deck down on the ground, stand on it, and have the selected card appear on your head. It's different, that's for sure.
If in a building, maybe place the cards on an elevator with their card not on top...go up to the top of the building and then they turn it over and it is on top. Hmm...not all buildings have elevators, nor do all street corners for that matter. -shoves idea into back of brain-

Or just use a suggestion already stated.
Or...stop using your ACR...I'm just kidding, ACR's are awesome.

-Rik

Apr 20, 2009
Myrtle Beach
I think a quick acr routine is a great one card to mouth is an amazing ending. 6 phase triple lift,double lift,face up,pop up move,fallen,card to mouth <<thats my routine

Apr 26, 2009
loophole by cameron francis is a very good visual ending.It also look totally impossible.HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

There are so many things to address in this thread that I don't know where to start...

To begin, if you want to honestly perform and know and ambitious card routine you must go to the source (matrix reference, anyone?), Expert Card Technique. In this wonderful text is an entire chapter just on this one routine and it was the ORIGINAL.

As for endings, I have changed my ending a few times over the years I've done this routine and the finale that has stayed with me is the Flustration count (ala David Williamson's terrific ACR). Say what you will about the sleight, but I have always had great success with it.

The biggest thing is to give it a reason to be there. Just suddenly vanishing the deck or something is totally pointless if not put into a context. The routine must have a definite flow, rhythm and frame throughout.

For example,

A card is freely named and an incorrect card is revealed. That card is then changed into the named card. (That is your opener to the routine. Its fast, magical, and is far better than "here, pick a card".)

The card is then placed into the deck and rises back to the top. This is then done once more (this effect is one of the few that actually improves the more it is done).

The card is then signed in order to make this a "controlled experiment" (come up with your own patter and not my random nonsense, obviously). It is then placed in the deck face up and visibly rises once again.

You then say that people always want to know how its done, so you will tell them. You remove 4 or so cards from the deck and (via flustration or diminishing lift) they are all shown to be the selected and signed card (the reaction here is absolutely stunning and unexpected). But, because you don't want to "get caught", the other 4 duplicates vanish leaving just the signed card.

This whole thing is just one example that I hope can show a flow and rhythm within the routine. Every piece has a reason for being done and builds to a climax where they "get to see how its done" before you turn the hoses on them with the ending.

Now, to people saying that you should change your routine frequently to add variety, I must send a quote your way.

"An Amateur does a thousand routines one time, a professional does one routine a thousand times."

C

Mar 29, 2008
How about a lesson in the next level of your magic?

Notice how much of the advice you are given are the magic equivalent of a non sequitur?

If you believe in this type of magic – then the sky is the limit…or should I say, the pit has no bottom – as you’re making the ambitious plot ending have NO relation to the actual plot. The concept of a strong ACR plot is that despite your best and fairest efforts, the card will continue to come to the plot. Having the card end up in a wallet, your shoe, or any other place is not an ACR plot – it is just magic mishmash of effects that are unrelated.

This is not to say this can’t have an impact on your audience, but it is not theatrically honest or fair – as you could do any of these “so-called” ACR endings, and have a great response as a stand alone piece.

Gary Kurtz has a pamphlet…probably around back when you were doing magic…called, “Leading with your Head” and he has an ACR routine in their, which I think encapsulates EXACTLY the kind of theatrical build that is needed in a strong ACR – with an ending that has the magic happen in the audiences hands. Too often we look for that next big thing, when we forget – the magic happens in the audiences mind, so if it is their hands and it happens – you will see the short term reaction you desire, and the long term impact that strong magic should have.

So, what is better than the pop-up move? Well, how about having THEM place the card in the middle, having the card in THEIR hands and THEIR card rises to the top! Sure, not visual, but visual magic is not always better.

Side bar – I see visual magic as the attention getter, and implied magic as what keeps it. Better yet, imagine visual magic as the visual monster in a movie – only scares us on shock value – where the monster we don’t always see completely let’s our imagination do the work, and our imagination is FAR better than any movie effect could ever construct. I digress.

So – I hope this helps – the truth is – you haven’t missed anything, but your own personal growth in magic…but if you are looking for the new toy in magic, well…perhaps this post was not right for you. I am sure either way, you will find what you are looking for.

Welcome back.

Mar 26, 2009
Arizona
folded card to wallet
shoe't (or similar card to shoe)
paperclipped (sankey)
shifty (my favorite)

One point Ive come to notice is that if your ending is too impressive or impossible, people will only remember that. So a card to shoe or whatever overrides the acr. I like Chris Kenners shifty because it flows with the whole routine of the card rising to the top but it is very visual and because of the outjogged nature of the card it seems truly impossible. I leave my card to wallet or shoe or paperclipped etc for a seperate effect

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results