I want to quit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
shindrichs - I guess that is what you get for trying to help someone.

sarcasm aside, I feel sorry for the people that were lashed out at for only trying to help

towtox - nobody here was trying to be rude to you. You took what they said in the wrong way and brought ALL this upon yourself. They were only trying to help and were only brutally honest. You should be thankful for that - that kind of honesty will help you in the long run.

Apr 1, 2009
California
I apologize Asher. I re-read what I had written and realized how it sounds. I was not meaning to critisize your advice to towtox (put yourself in my shoes and see how you would feel about this entire thread). I only wanted all sides of the story to be put into this thread. I was giving honest feedback on the video I watched. I took time out of my day to type out what I thought needed work done to it and I got called a D-A multiple times, got called a drunk, was called a female dog, and was told multiple times to "STFU".

That's the unfortunate part of magic. At least the internet portion. 90% of the children you see on here or any other forum are still finding their feet. They spend some time working on a routine, they post it. Excited for good responses, and they get bad responses. And naturally, they're disappointed. So they get defensive. People say very hurtful things behind a facade. This is not how we advance the art. My new career has a belief not to leave a man behind. We should be helping each other. We shouldn't be on here fighting like cats and dogs. Where will that get us? Honestly. There are some really intelligent people in this field. We should be taking their advice, both verbal and non verbal. I don't recall seeing them fighting like they're in middle school. If you want to make it, you need to accept the worst of it and continue pressing on. I'm sorry hurtful things were said to you. whoever said these things ought to be ashamed of themselves. If you were trying your best to help, then good on you. It is ultimately up to them to accept or decline that help.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
stop buying custom decks and spend your money on an Erdnase instead. Then sit down and practice for at least 3 more months before your next video. then ask for a critique.

Apr 1, 2009
California
Have more confidence in yourself. you look like your trying to kiss a girl for the first time. Confidence plays a huge part in your card technique. lighten your touch. When doing your double, there's no need to hold the card the entire time. I personally don't like grabbing my break and doing the double in the same motion. Although, that depends on the mood I'm in. spend more time with your cards. you need to develop a relationship with them. You two still seem to be strangers with each other.

I wouldn't get Erdnase yet, if I were you... Safe yourself the tears.

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
I don't believe palming a card is necessary. I perform probably every day and never use a palm. You have more important sleights to worry about right now.

Apr 1, 2009
California
The palm should look like a natural movement. technically, it shouldn't look like anything at all. nothing more than squaring the deck. I would keep working on it. Try to see what it looks like without doing the sleight, then try to replicate that while doing that sleight. for instance, if youre palming a card in the squaring action. See what it looks like when you're squaring the deck naturally, and have your palm match that. Again, no one should know you're palming a card. and after it's palmed, hold your hand naturally, not like you're hiding something. move it around. gesture with it. pick up other cards with it. Something. don't hold it against your leg.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Thoughts as they occur to me.

0:01 - Alright, kid. Impress me.
0:08 - I can't see your face. This does not bode well.
0:13 - Black scorpion deck, huh? I don't care. Do something.
0:22 - What the hell just happened? What is this, take 2?
0:27 - What was your double lift?
0:43 - Your hands are all stiff and weird. You're way too young to have gout or arthritis.
0:51 - I was underwhelmed by the color change, and then we get a jump cut before I even have time to finish reacting.
0:52 - Also, stop telling me what you're going to do and then do it.
1:00 - Stop explaining everything.
1:04 - Again with the arthritic handling.
1:13 - Handling was clunky and once again you cut off before I can finish reacting. And show your damn face, for Christ's sake.
1:18 - I don't care. Stop explaining this to me.
1:36 - Right hand was stiff and arthritic the whole time. What was the effect supposed to be? And what was with the card falling? Was that deliberate?
1:38 - The hell? Stop cutting. Just because you can edit doesn't mean you should.
1:51 - Your right hand is doing it again. Stop grabbing your thigh.
1:57 - Yes.
2:07 - Right hand again.
2:13 - That gesture came across much lewder than I'm sure you intended.
2:16 - Your right hand is now being showcased by the way you're moving your leg, making it more obvious.
2:24 - Stop fidgeting. It's just making it worse and calling more attention to the unnatural pose of your hand.
2:29 - Again, yes.
2:35 - You actually said that out loud?

You've got a lot of work to do, kid.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
oh boi, you need to practice a lot more on your naturalness. Mind, tension and focus. Please, let me help you; can I be your teacher?

the last thing the kid needs is another kid trying to "teach" him. or anything else online. what he really needs to do is just spend more than 5 minutes practicing. Spend some quality time alone with a deck and put in the work

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
You guys sugarcoat way too much.

Magic isn't for everyone, and some little kid THIS oblivious to their actual level, ignoring everything that is said to them, thinking they are still fooling everyone, should honestly either just quit or... well maybe just quit.

If this was the first I'd heard of the kid, I wouldn't say this. But his posts are repetitive reminders of how he ACTUALLY does not listen to anyone. For anyone to come on here and suggest he 'buy this,' or 'buy this instead' and 'practice this' etc... is just feeding to his, 'no no no, I am actually good guys, trust me' syndrome and will undoubtedly just encourage him to continue down this misguided road.

Easier answer is to just quit and start a new hobby. Magic is not for everyone.

While I can certainly agree with your statement that "magic is not for everyone" Tokyo, perhaps it should be amended to say that professional magic is not for everyone?

This could remain a very productive hobby for him to dabble in among his personal friends and family. He's certainly not going to fool anyone who is actually involved in the industry. He'll either say or do something that he will think is "cool", or "right", and in reality show how little he knows, everyone will get a chuckle at his expense (behind his back of course) pat him on the head, tell him he's "good", and "keep practicing", and life will go on for everyone.

I don't know if I can agree with telling someone flat out that they should just quit. Perhaps I'm the eternal optimist here, but I just see too many other avenues left for him to explore.

Critique to your Sleight of Hand video:

0:03: Nice splash screen. Ditch TowToxGTA. It's a childish tag name. Either perform under, and tag your videos with your name, or create a stage persona and character and use that. None of this Xbox live or AOL sounding stuff. Doubly so considering that GTA is commonly associated with Grand Theft Auto. That has NOTHING to do with magic.

:13: Now you're just bragging about your deck, stop it! No one cares about your deck. Yes that was a phallic joke, and I meant every word of it. Seriously, the ONLY person you will EVER impress with the type of custom deck you are using is another magician. A layman just simply won't care. You're certainly not good enough skill wise to impress other magicians (yet) so just stick to amazing the laymen for now. To that extent, use regular bicycle cards. Red or Blue backs. They're cheaper. The money you save, you should invest in Expert At The Card Table, or Royal Road.

:17: What, a wrist kill? I wouldn't call that a "move".
:19: Your right hand looks WAY unnatural. It looks like a zombie trying to palm a card. If you are in palm, then you need to work on it more, if you aren't then you need to relax.
:20: Why are you introducing yourself again? Thirty seconds hasn't even passed yet... I don't have that short of a memory!
:21 - :44: Your double lift is rough. You handle the deck of cards like it was a fragile piece of glass. Looks very unnatural. You need to work on making things look more fluid, and less like you have a death grip on the cards.
:51: The hell just happened? You just did a hard cut with no transitions into a completely different frame... Don't do that. BAD!
1:38: Somewhere in this area you do a palm... It's obvious what you're doing. Your body language SCREAMS palm. More natural, less obvious movements are needed. Quit covering the deck so damn much with your hand. When you continue doing that all the time it makes me suspicious of what you are really trying to do. Then when you do such a sloppy sleight like that, it just sticks out to me like a sore thumb.
1:59: Yep I saw what you did. Because you did the same sloppy movements as you just did the last time. Except this time you didn't drop the cards and then expose the palm.
2:13: Quit pointing at your crotch. That's really disturbing. Use subtitles. They're fairly easy to do in even the simplest of video editing software.
2:37: No your hand isn't "empty". It's painfully obvious your in palm again. I can tell by how firmly your hand is pressed against your leg even though your bouncing around like a monkey on speed. No body holds their hand in that position for that long while their body is going through that movement without a purpose, and that purpose being to hold something in place.

I really think you need to ease up on the video production and go back to studying your books and DVDs. Your moves are really sloppy, and you come off in this video like a child begging their older siblings to "look at me, look what I can do." -and then try to do something that obviously requires more skill than they currently have, fail, and then they end up saying "Oh no wait... I can really do it! Just watch me!" Repeat et nasium.

Further, when you don't even know the word "Misdirection" is a serious indication of your current skill level. You don't even know the language yet, let alone the moves, and if you don't have those two down then it's no wonder you're not fooling anyone with your magic.

I believe that misdirection can help, even in real performances in real life outside of the camera, but trust me man.. the camera doesn't lie. I can tell by your patter, your movements, and the way you handle yourself, and the cards, your not ready to perform for anyone yet.
We were all there at one point in time. You can get better. You just really need to practice, and maybe come to the realization that you're not as good as you think you are.

Jul 7, 2010
Try just sit down for a few seconds and think: "Do I really want to quit?" I you want to, do so. If you don't want to, you would have a long journey in front of you.

You need to realize that magic takes time, it's not just about watching a kid performing a double on Youtube, and then figure it out, and then practice for five min. And then BANG! I'm a really good magician! NO, you need to understand that you have to practice a LOT more, and you need to study the tricks and sleights your doing very very closely. You can't master magic in five min, nobody can do that.

There's a lot of things you need to think about and practice, for example, in your magic tricks, you need to have a good patter, don't just practice the tricks and sleights, PRACTICE the patter and performance too.

There's a lot more things you need to realize and practice, like I said, you have a really long journey in front of you, if you want to become a good magician

Jonathan

PS. Get another deck than those ugly ones. Get a Tally Ho deck. It's a good deck.

Jun 10, 2010
So iv been in card magic and i feel like quiting cause if i ask for opions on videos people are like your d lift sucks in real life it looks fine cause u can umm distract i forget what its called? and it like its a video its totally different in real lif do you agree?? cause its kinda pissed me off im not going to quit but it just makes me so mad

IM NOT WHIning im making a point i can take critizm that prativotss guy i can take his critizm but when people say stuff i missed that isnt true like you never showed the 3 of c im not trying to get attention OK?!

It's spelt praetorivetong!!!!!!!

Sorry, I've always wanted to say that. Anyways... Your double lift does suck. Keep in mind there are people who will burn your hands, misdirection is not the end all be all excuse for not perfecting a sleight. And nobody turns over a double lift like that, except for Dan and Dave. But they look natural, clean, refined, and elegant when they do. Yours looks REALLY choppy. And you've been in magic like 2 months and you already want over $1000 worth... Can't blame people for not taking you seriously at times.

I've only briefly scanned over this thread, but check out the following users' posts: William Draven, AsherF, and Steerpike. If Praetoritevong posted something on this thread, you would do well to heed that advice too.

Jul 13, 2009
To those saying he needs to pick up Erdnase, why would you suggest it to him? Judging from his current skill level something like Royal Road or Expert Card technique would be a better starter. If he is going to hop right into erdnase and actually start practicing the moves, who is to say he is performing the sleights wrong? If you practice something that is wrong, what's the point?

Sep 1, 2007
oh boi, you need to practice a lot more on your naturalness. Mind, tension and focus. Please, let me help you; can I be your teacher?

No. Teaching is like singing and writing. Everybody thinks they can do it, and they're usually wrong.

I don't know if I can agree with telling someone flat out that they should just quit. Perhaps I'm the eternal optimist here, but I just see too many other avenues left for him to explore.

Arguably. But not everybody is willing to do what it takes to be good at something. Or anything. 10,000 hours of work to achieve mastery. How many people are willing to stick with something that long? Most aren't willing to in 1,000 just to be pretty good. If someone wants to actually be good at something, they have to want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results