I want to quit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 9, 2010
I'm sorry, but seriously? This is a joke, right?

If your argument is "No, no, I swear, it works in real life"... Thats BS.

Yes, misdirection helps in real life. Yes, it can cover up little mistakes. Yes, its very important to learn.

HOWEVER.

You need to know that just because its sleight of hand, that DOESNT mean its invisible. Just because its a double lift doesnt mean no one knows its a double lift. And as a person, not even just as a magician, you should be striving for perfection in everything you do. And if something you're doing is just "passable" and only with misdirection, I'm sorry, but thats a joke. Go and practice it more. Until your double looks like your single, and vice versa, you need to work on it more.

If you really think your sleight of hand will never get noticed by laymen, how sadly mistaken you are. Bad sleight of hand is bad sleight of hand, on camera or off it. And sure, I probably sound like a d*uche for writing all of this, but the fact of the matter is that constructive criticism might not be easy to take, but it's important to take it. Without someone telling you you suck, youll never get better. You'll never push yourself further. Without anyone to point out the flaws, you dont know they exist.

Cheers,
Lucas

Excellent Post Lucas!:)

and towtox, i don't mean this rude, but, considering that your excuse is that in real life you have misdirection, you should probably know the word misdirection.:)

Dec 26, 2009
To those saying he needs to pick up Erdnase, why would you suggest it to him? Judging from his current skill level something like Royal Road or Expert Card technique would be a better starter. If he is going to hop right into erdnase and actually start practicing the moves, who is to say he is performing the sleights wrong? If you practice something that is wrong, what's the point?

It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with "performing the sleights wrong". One HUGE plus that comes from reading books instead of watching dvds is your own interpretation of what you read. That is how new a handling of an effect or sleight can be found in some cases.

This is entirely different. This is a person reading something or seeing something on a video, practicing it for five minutes, and believing in his own mind that is is passable on video (only because HE can't see the palmed card, or the split double, or his thumb counting off cards to catch a break for a double). If he would leave "youtube magic" and his webcam alone and actually sit down and read Royal Road he would be doing himself a favor. If he would read the book word for word with a deck of cards in his hand, instead of worrying what we thought of his palm, double lift, decks of cards, and the ridiculously too big list of magic he wants for Christmas, he would be 100 times the magician he is by the end of the year.

towtox

Banned
Sep 4, 2010
Calgary Ab
Go look it was my reversal trick filmed earlier I figured out why i get all stiff and nervous when preforming its cause im worried about getting flammed DUR!!!!!!
Originally Posted By shindrichs
"I hate towtox"

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
If you want to learn a trick where the card is reversed in the pack I suggest the biddle trick. I think every serious magician that does card magic should know this trick

Dec 20, 2009
Massachusetts
What was the point in showing the four of spades?

That was the selection....

Hey towtox, since no one else is really giving advice, I'll make you a vid on this. Since this is a relatively simple trick, no offence, I don't think anyone will mind if I go over this on a magic forum like this...

Sep 1, 2007
Go look it was my reversal trick filmed earlier I figured out why i get all stiff and nervous when preforming its cause im worried about getting flammed DUR!!!!!!

No, you're just hamfisted, don't practice enough and dramatically overestimate your skills.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Sorry. My favourite DL is the strike. No breaks, and looks pretty damn natural. Just out of curiosity, how come you guys prefer DL's with breaks/other methods.

Because they are a lot more safe than strike DL. If your hands are burned, and you are nervous a little bit, you will mess up your strike, you will hit 3,4 cards, or just the top one. If you have a break already, than it is "guaranteed" to hit two cards only.

Apr 27, 2010
baller08.blogspot.com
Sorry. My favourite DL is the strike. No breaks, and looks pretty damn natural. Just out of curiosity, how come you guys prefer DL's with breaks/other methods.

Because it doesn't matter. Multiple, fancy DL's are only to impress magicians and give you something to practice at with not much real world value. If your performance is good and if you follow "tension" and "off beat" lessons like the ones shown in Aaron Fisher's video, then a plain old double turnover is good enough. It's not a move...it's not suppose to be a move....it's not suppose to be anything to a spectator. So why go through all the gyrations of spending time on moves that are unnecessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results