I'm in a Strange Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2008
So Thursday night I was watching an episode of, "Magic's Biggest Secrets Finally Revealed." That I recorded. (I hate the show as much as everyone on the forums, but I still watch it.)

The idiot in the mask demonstrated an effect with a baloon and some pencils. My mom saw it from where she was in the kitchen and was impressed. She missed the explanation (Yay!)

At dinner she asked, "So how did he do the balloon trick?" Of course I replied, "I can't tell you that."

She began telling me that there was no point in not telling her since the explanation was already on TV. She actually said, "The only reason I don't know how it was done is because I was making YOUR dinner. You can either tell me how it was done, or make dinner for the rest of the week." I was flabbergasted (I actually spelled that right!)

As you can see I'm in a strange dilemma. Break the magician's code, or make dinner for the rest of the week. I have not yet made my decision. It's not like it's the absolute worst punishment in the world (I enjoy cooking occasionally and my mom has been working hard lately) but I have testing all next week and a I really should study more.

My mom wants me to start on Sunday, so I was wondering what your opinions are on this. I'm still deciding whether or not to just tell how it was accomplished.

EDIT: I have decided to make dinner for my family until Wednesday and then tell my mom the secret. On Wednesday I will do a dinner magic show and as my opener I will use the balloon trick and then tell reveal the effect. After that I will go on to a regular routine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 13, 2008
It's...your mom. Your...mother. Family. I'm failing to see the issue here. o_O

Mar 2, 2008
Don't tell her and cook dinner for your self.

That might sound rude but shes telling you to do somthing you don't want to with a punishment.

May 31, 2008
It's...your mom. Your...mother. Family. I'm failing to see the issue here. o_O

Do you share the secrets of magic with family? I''m guessing no.

Don't tell her and cook dinner for your self.

That might sound rude but shes telling you to do somthing you don't want to with a punishment.

I'm not seeing what you're saying, but I'm probably just going to make dinner as she is asked. She does make it every night.

I still think it's a very weird situation. She's telling me to do extra chores for not telling her how an effect is done.

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
*facepalm*

On the one hand, she's asking you to break your ethical ropes.

One the other hand, shes your mother.

Yes, there's a code of ethics, but for petes sake, put a little logic into it.

Is your mom really going to contribute to mass exposure? And as CM said, shes your mother!

-ThrallMind

May 31, 2008
*facepalm*

On the one hand, she's asking you to break your ethical ropes.

One the other hand, shes your mother.

Yes, there's a code of ethics, but for petes sake, put a little logic into it.

Is your mom really going to contribute to mass exposure? And as CM said, shes your mother!

-ThrallMind

No, but that's one more person who knows the method to an effect. Like I said before, I have decided to go ahead and just make dinner for the rest of the week.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
There are a few things going on in this situation that I can see. Firstly making dinner for a week is not a huge deal, eventually you will have to do it everyday for yourself. I don't think that the problem was you not telling your mum the method but more the fact that you were blunt and rude to her. Personally I tell my mum everything that she asks about my magic mainly because she supported me when I stated out. And more often then not she does not want to know anything about the effect, let alone the the exact workings maybe just the jist of the effect. Can I ask you a question, how do you get all your magic stuff do you pay for it all? On your own account? Never borrowed from your mum to get something? Is the video camera yours or your mothers? I am not trying to be harsh but my mum defiantly comes before the magician's code.

May 31, 2008
There are a few things going on in this situation that I can see. Firstly making dinner for a week is not a huge deal, eventually you will have to do it everyday for yourself. I don't think that the problem was you not telling your mum the method but more the fact that you were blunt and rude to her. Personally I tell my mum everything that she asks about my magic mainly because she supported me when I stated out. And more often then not she does not want to know anything about the effect, let alone the the exact workings maybe just the jist of the effect. Can I ask you a question, how do you get all your magic stuff do you pay for it all? On your own account? Never borrowed from your mum to get something? Is the video camera yours or your mothers? I am not trying to be harsh but my mum defiantly comes before the magician's code.

That is quite true. She actually said that she would rather have me make dinner than know the secret. Since it's not much of a punishment I will be making dinner for at least a few days. I'll probably make dinner until Wednesday and then tell her the secret.

Frankly I've never been a fan of ultramadoms. Mother or not she has no right putting you into such a situation.

I'd call her out on this. I'd tell her you don't approve of her use of an altermadom and would prefer it if she refrained from their use. If she wants to know that badly then sugest she catch a re-run. I'd also follow that with "By the way, I hope you like Mac & Cheese". Say that with a grin. She said you had to make dinner, she didn't say it had to be 7 course or fancy.

May 31, 2008
Frankly I've never been a fan of ultramadoms. Mother or not she has no right putting you into such a situation.

I'd call her out on this. I'd tell her you don't approve of her use of an altermadom and would prefer it if she refrained from their use. If she wants to know that badly then sugest she catch a re-run. I'd also follow that with "By the way, I hope you like Mac & Cheese". Say that with a grin. She said you had to make dinner, she didn't say it had to be 7 course or fancy.

Actually she did say that I had to have meat/poultry, vegetables, and dessert. So it can't be anything to simple. I originally told her, "Do you like ham sandwiches?" Like I said it's not that big of a deal to make dinner for a week, but it's still kind of annoying.

Jan 13, 2008
Yes, I do fill my (immediate) family in on the secrets of magic, if they ask (in a serious way, not a "What?! How'd you do that?!" reaction type of way). To me, family means more than any oath or rule or anything of that nature. And on top of that, I know I can trust my family not to go around spreading any information that I do give them (assuming they even remember the method), because I am their family, too; it's a two way street, if you will.

This is why I enjoy testing out effects on my family members--they get to have fun seeing magic, and they get to help me out by giving feedback on the effect. If I happen to flash or something, no big deal, they're my family, not a client--it doesn't hurt me (in a business sense) or magic as a whole (Oh no, my parents know how I do my effects! Call the Magic Castle, we've got a crisis on our hands! :rolleyes:).

Like was mentioned, I'm pretty sure it's not about the magic, anyway. If I had kids who behaved that way...I'm not sure I'd be as nice as your mom was.

Either way, given the situation, I'd probably apologize for being rude, tell her how the effect was done (despite the fact that she probably doesn't even really care how it was done, especially now that the moment of curiousity has passed), and cook dinner for the week, anyway. And, of course, I'd even offer to do the dishes.

Note: When I say "family", I mean my father and mother, as well as my girlfriend, seeing as my brother is also a (much more experienced) magician (so we work together in a family AND magician sense, anyway).

May 31, 2008
Yes, I do fill my (immediate) family in on the secrets of magic, if they ask (in a serious way, not a "What?! How'd you do that?!" reaction type of way). To me, family means more than any oath or rule or anything of that nature. And on top of that, I know I can trust my family not to go around spreading any information that I do give them (assuming they even remember the method), because I am their family, too; it's a two way street, if you will.

This is why I enjoy testing out effects on my family members--they get to have fun seeing magic, and they get to help me out by giving feedback on the effect. If I happen to flash or something, no big deal, they're my family, not a client--it doesn't hurt me (in a business sense) or magic as a whole (Oh no, my parents know how I do my effects! Call the Magic Castle, we've got a crisis on our hands! :rolleyes:).

Like was mentioned, I'm pretty sure it's not about the magic, anyway. If I had kids who behaved that way...I'm not sure I'd be as nice as your mom was.

Either way, given the situation, I'd probably apologize for being rude, tell her how the effect was done (despite the fact that she probably doesn't even really care how it was done, especially now that the moment of curiousity has passed), and cook dinner for the week, anyway. And, of course, I'd even offer to do the dishes.

Note: When I say "family", I mean my father and mother, as well as my girlfriend, seeing as my brother is also a (much more experienced) magician (so we work together in a family AND magician sense, anyway).

She is always the first person I try my new effects out on and is alwyas nice. She does know how some of my effects work but not all of them. You raise a good point.

I don't see why I should apologize. I don't think either one of us (me or m mom) are in the wrong. I am going to make dinner for her for a few days since she usually makes dinner for me. After that I will tell her how it was done.

I still don't see how I was rude though.

Jan 13, 2008
I don't see why I should apologize. I don't think either one of us (me or m mom) are in the wrong.
It's not really about whether or not you feel you were in the wrong...it's about how the other person feels (I say "other person", because this applies in other situations, as well--especially relationships).

I was going to type up a whole bunch of stuff (I just deleted about two paragraphs of it, because I don't want to waste my time), but I'll just skip that and say this: If you apologize, you'll likely give a good impression to your mom; she'll likely be proud that you're putting her feelings over yours (especially given all that she does for you--you even said she cooks most of your meals for you, at least lately...why not say "thanks" through actions and consideration for her?).

You don't have to, not at all. It's up to you how you treat your mom. :)

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
Dude, it's only your mom. She's not gonna go around telling everyone how it's done.

Besides, it's not like one day you'll be doing the trick to someone and people will say "I know how you did that, your mom told me how"

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
I'd also follow that with "By the way, I hope you like Mac & Cheese". Say that with a grin. She said you had to make dinner, she didn't say it had to be 7 course or fancy.

Two things are wrong with that statement.

First, she didn't specify he was also making HER food, just his.

Secondly, who the HELL in their right mind suggests for someone to be a smart ass to their parent?

-ThrallMind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results