Magic isn't "cool"?

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
The key to people liking your magic is this. I forgot who said this, i think it was Brad Christian but he said to not look down on people cuz you can do stuff they can't. People wont be very impressed when you think you're better. Just be a regular guy. And when they see that you're just a regular guy, but you can still do all this amazing stuff, thats when they enjoy it.

I'm never been called nerdy or geeky cuz of my magic. In fact, i was the new kid at my high school this year and i decided to start performing magic one day. I performed for a few people, they told their friends, i performed for their friends, the friends tell THEIR friends, and by 4 months, every kid in my grade knows me as "the asian kid with the awesome magic tricks" I've had people that i didn't even know come up to me and ask me to do a trick.

"Coolness" kinda depends on who you preform for. Some people just refuse to enjoy it. Like if someone see's me with a deck of cards and wants to see some magic, I won't do something big. Something real simple like "Watch, the card in your hands is gonna jump to the top of the deck" and follow through with a few more simple things. (I haven't been doing magic for that long) But if someone says something about how obvious it was, i'll pull out stigmata. Usually tends to shut people up lol.

I've never been called a nerd for my magic. I'm a very well liked kid, but not like Mr. Popular or something. I'm just kind've everybody's friend and they all like me as well as my magic. I only do magic on special occasions when I'm at school though. For example, when you're at lunch, don't bring out the cards and ask somebody to pick a card, that would be pretty geeky obviously. However, I may ask my friends if they want to see something cool and then do some metal bending, with the school's forks of course! Haha!

BTW isn't it strange that geek magic is one of the coolest things, IMO, to do as far as magic goes?

Oct 28, 2007
i have been called a nerd by maybe 2 people but only by those few people that are obviously going to say that, the people that think they are too cool for it and think they are better because they go out and get wasted every day.(talk about future failures) so that obviously doesn't bother me because everyone else thinks i am a pimp :p

Sep 1, 2007
Let's be honest with eachother here guys. We spend hours sitting in front of a computer screen fiddling with cards and talking on forums. Not exactly the coolest thing to do.

Personally, I've always been a really sociable person; people generally like me. I hang out with the "cool" crowd, all that. But is it because of my magic? No. I don't use magic ever as an ice breaker. Be yourself and just do magic when you feel like it.

Someone somewhere on this thread posted something about performing magic at lunch for the jocks and whatnot... No. Why? You don't want that kind of acceptance; you don't want to build a relationship on that. That might just be my opinion though.

And as for gfs and what not. Mine tell me I'm a loser all the time and that she hopes i drop my cards whenever I'm on my way out to a gig. Personally, I'd have to agree. I am a loser. Whether or not I hang with the "in" crowd doesnt matter, Im a loser. You guys are all losers. Live with it and enjoy it. Don't get caught up in it all.

Cheers,
Lucas

Sep 1, 2007
And as for gfs and what not. Mine tell me I'm a loser all the time and that she hopes i drop my cards whenever I'm on my way out to a gig. Personally, I'd have to agree. I am a loser. Whether or not I hang with the "in" crowd doesnt matter, Im a loser. You guys are all losers. Live with it and enjoy it. Don't get caught up in it all.

I'm not following. So your girlfriend thinks you're a loser and you think you're a loser, but why would that make everyone here on these forums a loser?

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
I'm not following. So your girlfriend thinks you're a loser and you think you're a loser, but why would that make everyone here on these forums a loser?

yeah im confused. If you dont care what people think, that makes you not a loser.
where im at, the girls love to see magic. I always take out a deck of cards when im around girls, you can do something the "cool" guy cant.

Magic =]

Im not sure where you get everyone on the forums are losers, but thats way off.

Nov 30, 2007
Midlands, England
I think its because as soon as you mention a magician people either think of

A guy with a top hat on stage

Or a little geeky kid with bad tricks.

they dont really get to expierence a real close up magician with good tricks.

I actually think mini magician highlighted my point perfectly here.

I think people's general perception of magic is wrong. For example, I've told a couple of people before that "I'm a magician". I get a "righttt, okayyy then..... :rolleyes:" But as soon as I perform, it becomes something awesome to watch.

Dan Sperry said something interesting on his Volume 1 of Card Manipulation, something along the lines of

I used to sit in front of the TV, practicing, with a bowl in my lap to catch cards. I was a looooser....

I don't think its the art itself that is "geeky" (which is not something I ever originally labelled it as), but its when people realise how much time we spend, as LucasCG said, playing with little pieces of plastic, watching magic videos, posting on forums, etc, etc. Surely that could be labelled by an outsider as a little lame?

Now I'm not trying to put anyone here down at all. Of course not. Personally, I probably have a deck in my hand about 3-4 hours a day and I'm fairly active on the Theory11 forums. I try to keep up to date with new releases and whatnot, and I have to say I dedicate a fair portion of my free time to magic.

But also, I go out. I hang out with friends, I play sports, I spend time with my girlfriend, and I still have a life.

So am I not cool? Are we all "uncool" for liking magic?

Personally, I certainly think not.

I was just putting forward the argument that various laypeople (depending on the person) would probably think we are. This is probably something a lot of people could empathise with here.

Also, I'd like to hear if anyone has any stories regarding this kind of thing.

Kind regards,

-Sam H.

Maybe it has something to do with the reason you get in to it in the first place. Like if you're only getting into it to be cool or impress someone, you're not going to put as much time into perfecting the effects. You're gonna go out and get laughed at. If you get into it cause you want to entertain people and give them something that they'll remember and hold onto as an amazing experience, you're most likely going to put a lot more effort into making it look good.

We don't need to step up the bar from the top hats, rabbits and doves. We need to build a new platform for ourselves. Maybe even step away from the word Magician itself. Cause when most people hear the word magician, it's kinda funny that they still think of stage magic. We preform Curbside Deceptions. We are not Magicians, We are Deceivers. It's no longer Magical... It's Deception.

(I don't think I mentioned this, but once in a while I tend to go on rants like this. Sorry :D)

Sep 27, 2007
Cenozoic, Oligocene
Depends what age you are and... your clothes... Yes your clothes play a factor when people ponder, "This guy must have a lot of time on his hands."

If your in high school, I think clothes do matter.
When I watch videos on youtube of magic performances, I find myself looking what they are wearing first... Are they wearing shirts that are too big, capri pants... No matter how well the person may perform, if they wear clothes as though that aren't... "popular" let's say, it's not appeasing to the senses.

The reason why Criss Angel or David Blaine is so well percieved is not because of their tricks. That's just a factor. A main factor I believe is their clothes. Their clothes seem to emulate that they aren't card geeks or magic "weinerjerkers." That they actually have a life that isn't centred around just magic.

I mean, someone whose wearing American Eagle is most likely to get better perception from people that someone wearing sweaty sweats; even if they do a more impacting trick.

That's what I found anyways. Magic is more than just tricks. It's how you present yourself, both verbally and appearence-wise.

Depends what age you are and... your clothes... Yes your clothes play a factor when people ponder, "This guy must have a lot of time on his hands."

When I watch videos on youtube of magic performances, I find myself looking what they are wearing first... Are they wearing shirts that are too big, capri pants... No matter how well the person may perform, if they wear clothes as though that aren't... "popular" let's say, it's not appeasing to the senses.

The reason why Criss Angel or David Blaine is so well percieved is not because of their tricks. That's just a factor. A main factor I believe is their clothes. Their clothes seem to emulate that they aren't card geeks or magic "weinerjerkers." That they actually have a life that isn't centred around just magic.

I mean, someone whose wearing American Eagle is most likely to get better perception from people that someone wearing sweaty sweats; even if they do a more impacting trick.

That's what I found anyways. Magic is more than just tricks. It's how you present yourself, both verbally and appearence-wise.

Now that I think about it, you're right, clothes do play an important role.
Also, how many geeks do you see with good clothes????
Woah... clothes are like... an expression.... of yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dec 10, 2007
Texas

I agree, it mostly depends on your appearance, and what "group" you're in.

May 19, 2008
manchester
it depends who you are, what you look like, how easy it is for you to become freinds with someone blah blah blah all that stuff.

if your a geek then your a geek, not much you can do about it.

Ive never been called a geek because of magic, thats because I only perform when I wanna perform, I dont do it at school, but ive been busking a few times and got some mighty good reactions ;)
everyones a geek with something, its just whats on fashion. someone who plays football (or "soccer") needs to practice lots, a cheerleader practices lots, a dancer does, a model spends lots of time on their appearance, a magician spends time on his magic.

and magician is such a crap name (sorry) magic sounds alright, but magician sounds so crap. It SHOULD be decievers or con artists or whatever.

anyway, MAGIC isnt nerdy, a helluva lot of magicians are though (im not :p)

just be your self. and also does anyone here consider david blaine a nerd? not really, BUT if you read his book he says "and I became obsessed with magic, I read, watched, practised, studied any magic I could" and im sure he still does, but he is himself, and all that... im confused :(

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results