Making a living doing magic

Dec 13, 2007
North Hollywood
is it really hard? doing magic and only magic and having a really good life?
My Dad as a lot of others is telling me that its not possible, and i will end up poor, and all that. He supports me, but he is still trying to convince me to go a different route.
My question, how hard is it making a good living doing magic.
any kind of magic.

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
My Dad as a lot of others is telling me that its not possible, and i will end up poor, and all that. He supports me, but he is still trying to convince me to go a different route.
any kind of magic.

Well I would say do something a little more of a "job" and start on that and then work on magic at the same time and if your magic is hitting off then leave your other job and see how it goes.

Jan 18, 2008
memphis,tn
You can make a living off magic. It would be hard though.There are many pros who only do magic. Watch penguins Go Pro with Tom Kristof, he is a pro.An example of a day would be busking in the morning, doing 3 shows during the day, and a restaraunt at night.It is possible though.

Oct 21, 2007
going pro with magic is a bad idea, there is a very small chance of getting well known and/or making good cash...

Sep 1, 2007
on Theory11.
Well I would say do something a little more of a "job" and start on that and then work on magic at the same time and if your magic is hitting off then leave your other job and see how it goes.

Good adivce there. When 6 months of magic is making as much as 6 months on the job, then it's time to consider your options. If you can, stick with both for as long as you can... double the money.

Apr 4, 2008
any kind of magic.

If your committed, it isn't hard. Doing magic for a living doesn't mean you create tricks, or have a show in Vegas. What do you mean by really good life? If really good life means having 3 flat screen tv's a big mansion and a chef, than no, unless you an amazing magician. If really good life means making a decent living, doing the thing you love than yeah, its very possible.

AllanLuu

Banned
Aug 31, 2007
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
going pro with magic is a bad idea, there is a very small chance of getting well known and/or making good cash...

I would never say it is a bad idea, I know many people that are performing this art for a living and loving every second of it.

But, if you think that magic will be the same when you are older and as fun as it is now, you are horribly mistaken. To take the route of a magician, you have to understand that you will be performing the same thing day and night and that you will hardly be adding new tricks to your repertoire. You know that excitement you get when a new trick comes out and you are like, "Oh my god, I need this!" well you can pretty much say good-bye to that. Being a magician is not easy, it is actually extremely difficult and takes alot of blood sweat and tears.

I hope this gives you a brief understanding of what it would be like as a pro magician.

Apr 4, 2008
I would never say it is a bad idea, I know many people that are performing this art for a living and loving every second of it.

But, if you think that magic will be the same when you are older and as fun as it is now, you are horribly mistaken. To take the route of a magician, you have to understand that you will be performing the same thing day and night and that you will hardly be adding new tricks to your repertoire. You know that excitement you get when a new trick comes out and you are like, "Oh my god, I need this!" well you can pretty much say good-bye to that. Being a magician is not easy, it is actually extremely difficult and takes alot of blood sweat and tears.

I hope this gives you a brief understanding of what it would be like as a pro magician.

I understand the same effect day after day thing, but who said you can't expand your horizon of effects?

AllanLuu

Banned
Aug 31, 2007
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I understand the same effect day after day thing, but who said you can't expand your horizon of effects?

It's not really that you can't, it's that you won't have the time to. If you pursue a career in magic, you want everything perfected, nothing should look sloppy or even the slightest bit weird.

Also, adding a new effect to your routine or act can cause a ripple effect to it, you WILL have to change everything if you really want it to work.

Dec 5, 2007
Indiana, USA
There are a few grains of good advice here. Performing magic for a living has very little to do with performing. You will spend years of cold calling companies and restaurants on the phone in order to try to sell them something they really don't want. So the guys who are doing it for a living are good at making those sales calls. The sad truth of magic is that we enjoy performing it more than people enjoy watching it. And your repertoire will probably be limited because you need to earn a living doing a few tricks really well while convincing an audience that you just learned the darn thing a short while ago. This doesn't mean that you shouldn't try to make money with magic. Just understand that doing so has more to do with being a businessman/salesman than being a performer. I used to do restaurant magic on the weekends with the likes of Dan Dygert, Mike Close, Homer Liwag, Chris Kenner, and Mark Brandyberry. You may not recognize Dan and Mark's names...because they don't write books, work on TV shows, or invent tricks and flourishes. They are too busy performing, and it took them 20 years to establish themselves as professionals that could make their entire living from magic. Always strive to be smart in school first. Chris Kenner used to work at an ad agency and is a superb graphic designer. Homer Liwag went to school for design. Mike Close is a classically trained pianist, who for many years kept food on the table playing piano in the recording studio. Being good at other things can help you be good at magic. I have been out of the scene for years, but am slowly planning my own magical comeback here in Indianapolis. Good luck to you and please contact me if you have any questions.

Dean

Apr 5, 2008
That's a lot of good advice there... I was also asking myself the same question the past few weeks...

Thanks to everybody from T11, I really enjoy reading most of the posts in the forums here...

Keep it up guys... :cool:

A little help man...If you are seriously considering doing magic for a living than I think that thats an amazing idea, personally, I myself would love the oppurtunity to give myself out to magic, but of course what can a kid do. However, if you want this that bad, then im sure that you will do fine, and i dont mean striking it rich fine, but amusing people for a little cash. But once your repetoir of magic is up to top notch ability, you will go far in this industry because of all the oppurtunities out there. Oh, another thing, trying to invent tricks isnt that bad of an idea either. Example: Kevin Parker was able to leave his job 3 days after the release of his Revolution coin vanish. Just throwing that out there. And most importantly, if magic is really what you love, dont let anybody tear you down, and i mean nobody. Hope this helps man. Best of luck!

Dec 14, 2007
I was always told I would never be anything but poor if I chose to be a magician.

I make my sole living as a magician. I live comfortably. Support all of my bad habits and get paid to do what I love.

Is it without risk? No. I could have failed.

I covered my bases. Earned a master's degree all the while building a magic business.

If it is what you want to do, do it. But be smart about it. Finish school/ Get as many tools into your belt as you can. Don't steal from others. Always put the perception and integrity of the art at the top of the list - over making a cheap buck. And follow your OWN artistic vision - not anyone elses. Don't steal from other magicians. Don't copy what you see on TV.

Realize that flight time is important. Don't undercut other performers in your area - that will only come to hurt your own income later. But at the same time, never promise what you cannot deliver.

Work nightclubs, day cares, old people's homes. Every moment on stage is valuable. Start small and build your business.

Most importantly - if you want to eat in September you have to book those shows in January. Income taxes are a *****. Always put 25% aside from each show you do. And ultimately, every relationship is an open door. Avoid closing doors.

Just some random thoughts.

Brad Henderson

Ok no offense to the guy above me but that's not at all how I went about it.

I learned the skill of picking up women some time ago. I highly recommend learning this skill if you want to work as a magician. Go ahead ask yourself why?

Step number one is peacocking. People won't look at you unless you are something to look at. If you can get women to look at you just by walking into a room, everybody will be wondering what there girlfriends are looking it. Then they will look at you as well.

Step number two is opening. People won't talk to you if your attitude and personality doesn't match with how your dressed, they will see you as a fake. All you have to do is make sure they enjoy talking to you long enough to make a point that you are a magician while not trying to seem to obvious with it.

Step number three is entertain them. If you can hold there attention with there own borrowed objects and a few card tricks you are in for the next time they have a huge function. This will then snowball after your first gig.

Step number four is closing. PUA call this number closing, doesn't really have to be a number but it could be an email address, just some kind of contact information. Most inportant part of this step is make sure you do not leave right after you get the contract info. Keep the communication open for 25% longer than the starting of the conversation. Making them feel like you are not trying to get a job. You do not need this job, but they need you.

Step number five is post interview interview. A phone call a few days later just to say hello and remind them to look at a signed card you gave them to say I do remember you and you were cool enough to call back. Good Luck buddy.

Apr 9, 2008
Singapore
Yeah you should try to get a degree at least. If magic fails for you, you still can get a good job. If there's an economic downturn and you get sacked, you still can rely on doing magic to earn a living. If both of these doesn't happen, well, you will earn double the amount you usually would.

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
I feel it is always good to have another trade under your belt, Outside of all the work I do in this industry I also work in marketing - Things like this are great to fall back on and benefit you in your magic also.

Looking at my cash flow, I make more in magic for the graphic design and marketing consultancy I do for magicians/magic companies than I do performing.

Of course it's great to go out and perform and I'm not saying I don't perform aswell, but what I am saying is look at other options within the industry too.

If you're a great web designer, why not sell you services to other magicians, if your a great creative person, even if you're skill is numbers - magicians need accountants too!

Play off your skill set and create a niche for yourself. I feel that's the best way to go.

D.

Dec 14, 2007
Sour,

That approach may work in the short term, but when it comes to building a clientèle of wealthy adults with disposable income who are willing to pay you to play - there are other approaches which may serve you better over time. In fact, perhaps the most financially succesful magician of our time (who isn't Copperfield) would not mesh well with your strategy at all.

Just something to consider.

Brad Henderson

There are many people who do magic as a profession. They may not be as good as Dan and Dave or Houdini, but they make enough money to live a nice middle class life. However, in order for this to work you must devote a lot of your time on tweeking your tricks and perfecting them to make them as amazing as possible.

It will be tough but if it's what you want then go for it. You most likely won't end up as famous as Cardini or Mark Wilson or Dai Vernon but you never know until you try.

Have fun,
Dylan P.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results