MENTALISM: How to learn and practice?

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
CONTINUED

Coping Information Covertly can be easily practiced during the course of your day. The most obvious method won’t just get you the desired details but likewise aid you in learning how to pay attention, notice the way voices flux and shift as well as building your memory; recollection is the key here in that you must be able to recall the information gleaned via eavesdropping in order for it to be any good. So learn to work with both at the same time.

This same awareness training will also have you looking for key materials that are on hand at all times. A real Mentalist isn’t like his magician cousins, running about with a pocket full of gadgets and niftiness. Rather, he/she pays attention to their environment and how to exploit the properties of various materials such as how the older style of newspaper ink (the stuff that turns your fingers black as you read the feature) can be used just like Carbon Paper or, for that matter, the nice glossy cover of a magazine. . . experiment with such things and you will discover a huge arsenal at your disposal most never pay attention to. But this likewise means that you are studied enough to see other hidden devices within your environ . . . such as those convenient swami gimmicks lying about at doctor’s offices in the form of mechanical pencils, pencils or even crayons & pens. . . I’m not say how but study them and think of how you could make any one of these things work in a pinch… this is part of Mentalism!

You can find all sorts of threads, sticky substances (to use as anchors), magnetic devices, writing surfaces, you name it. But we’ve lost the knack of learning to SEE as the result of all the things we’ve been taught to depend on in life. Maybe if you turned all that other stuff off for a week, you would begin to see, hear and become aware of things available for you to work with that never before crossed your mind. Think about it.

Developing Reading Skills involves two things; studying people at every opportunity and keep notes. You will find out for yourself how certain people of particular age groups, ethnic groups, etc. have similar issues. You will be able to cultivate your own Reading System by learning it first-hand vs. the harder way; based on the opinion of some other clown.

The second side of this skill set is however, LEARNING TO BE AN EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATOR. This does not mean that you stay in “preacher mode” (as I call it) and try to get people to fit into your way of thinking but rather, that YOU learn how to understand and build a rapport with others based on their terms and points of view. Far too many in today’s world are using Mentalism as a way to push an agenda that is anti-psychic/anti-faith, forgetting that our job is to entertain folks and allow them to make their own decision; we do not make claims either way. This is something most every mentalism book I ever picked up (published prior to 1970ish) on Mentalism taught and probably what prevented the art from falling into the commercial chaos it’s become.

Then we come to the act of doing Readings which many in today’s mind-set frown upon (unless it’s done for “entertainment purposes only”. . . such an ignorant line) but in reality, has been the foundation mode of income bearing to Mentalists since the craft began via Home Parties, Workshops and quite literally doing Readings by Appointment, at Psychic Fairs, etc. Like it or not learning to be an effective Reader IS a part of Mentalism and it entails a heck of a lot more than the theoretical tripe you’ll find in certain highly promoted books that have come out in the past decade or so. Nonetheless, if you learn no fewer than 3 legit esoteric Reading systems and work exclusively with them for the next two years, YOU WILL be a far better Reader of People, a Communicator and superior Mentalist than those that refuse to . . . you’ll also have a bit more money coming your way when the show’s aren’t.

Muscle Reading is the last of the primary skills I’ll touch on in that it is the last of the “big 5” that is vital for you to learn, know and work with. Let me begin by pointing out one fact about Muscle Reading (MR) that few recognize – you are constantly using it! Both consciously and subconsciously we act & react to unspoken signals given off by people, animals, etc. so learning to formally see how to hone our awareness via touch, sight & sound means that we can literally expand our sensory perception.

If you do not yet have a copy of Banachek’s book “Psychophysiological Thought Reading” and then spending a week or two review it alongside Disc 3 of his Psi Series DVD collection get it NOW. The two are probably the most comprehensive, best explained and easiest to learn from tools on the topic ever produced. Get them, learn them and never part with them! Second to this would be Mindreading & Telepathy by Erik jan Hanussen which is an actual course in MR work as planned for publication way back in those fun filled days of the 3rd Reich’s rise to power.
Because MR entails so many other “things” that we do I’ll suggest you pick-up Richard Webster’s The Art of Dowsing (not a magic book) along with anything you can find on Pendulum work, Ouija, Pulse & Handshake Reading and of course Table Tipping. Those so brave can graduate this list of specialty study groups with FACS which is based on the subtle (subconscious) movements of the face and of course Body Language studies. . . not recommended in your first two years however.

Every bit of this can be practiced in everyday life though you might need to be creative here and there to do so. MR is easily practiced when doing Palm Readings but similarly, just leaning on someone’s shoulder or learning to shadow them in your own actions (pace & lead techniques). . . it’s all possible, practical and the stuff that will make you more than just some schmuck that does tricks. . . for that matter, just with these foundation skills you can have a very full career.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: aRfAs
Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Wow, thanks Craig. After post like this, there is nothing to add, just to sit down and listen.
I do have couple of questions:
1. Can every item on that list in the first post be found in Corinda?
2. I've read your pdf about Cold reading, and I am VERY interested in all kinds of readings, but what book should be first? Let's say that I don't even know what cold reading is, what would be the first book to read? The Gentle Art of Cold Reading?
3. English is my second language, so translating some of the scripts, presentations and verbal techniques is very difficult, specially in psychological forces, since it is all more or less based on English language. Any advice?

If I remember more questions, I will post them. Some of the sentences in your post are pure gold, and I will start implementing them right away.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
1. Can every item on that list in the first post be found in Corinda?

Yes & No. . . Corinda intimates a lot of what I mention in the first list but certain things are specifically stated in that they were assumed – it is how people actually functioned during the era vs. the more lackadaisical mode we’ve devolved into via our “convenience” driven culture. Take a look at trades such as Sales where rapport building is requisite; they required you to study people and learn how to effectively communicate. This was a time when Dale Carnegie (How to Win Friends & Influence People) was the conventional common within “professional” life (when it came to white collar vocations)

Corinda was originally a series of 13 separate booklets – study guides that would be mailed via snail mail during an era in which one could wait well over a month before receiving each installation once it was ordered… it was a very slow process which allowed the student a minimum of 6-8 weeks to spend working on each step/lesson. How much time have you invested on each independent step before moving to the next?

On average today’s neophytes of Mentalism invest less than a month’s time an ANY given book on most any topic because they simply “get bored” and desire to move on. This is one reason why several outspoken critics of mine loathe the time-line I suggest when it comes to developing Mentalism (http://www.talkmagic.co.uk/go.php?u...vZG93bmxvYWRzL2JlY29taW5nYW1lbnRhbGlzdC5wZGY=) . Unlike Magic however, Mentalism demands an investment of time & discipline. I’m not saying that aspects within traditional magic can’t lead to such an investment, they certainly do. But when one fully comprehends the fact that Mentalism leans more on the psychology of appearances & presentation – the idea of being real vs. trickery – then you begin to understand how it is different from traditional magic and why it begs of us, a deeper sense of focus, discipline, etc.

2. I've read your pdf about Cold reading, and I am VERY interested in all kinds of readings, but what book should be first? Let's say that I don't even know what cold reading is, what would be the first book to read? The Gentle Art of Cold Reading?

Like I say in the treatment, start with PSYCHOMETRY FROM A-Z by Richard Webster and DO NOT confound yourself with all the rhetoric about Forer’s experiments, Barnum statements, etc. While those things along with many other “mundane” factors will prove of value in the future, they are the “theory” or “mechanical construct” about Readings . . . think of it as learning proper sentence and paragraph structure in school vs. actually functioning in the world as someone who can read & write. . . not the same thing, nor is all the technical B.S. pertinent in the real world. So learn how to do quick & effective Readings by using the very same systems that have been used by professional psychics for centuries; Numerology is the cornerstone which is what Richard teaches in this particular book. You can take that same formula a few steps further by applying his Aura Reading for Fun & Profit material as well as the audio series he did for Martin Breese on Commercial Cold Reading.

As far as Lee’s book & CD are concerned, they ARE the better “first step” system for learning the “nuts & bolts” (theory) side of things and it wouldn’t hurt to track down Julian Moore’s JAMES BOND READING SYSTEM as well in that it is a novel “flash-card” approach that can expedite one’s ability to learn the “canned spiel” mode of Reading (which I personally loathe and view with high contempt in that you wouldn’t survive an hour in a real Psychic Fair trying to use such techniques – they’re incomplete!)

3. English is my second language, so translating some of the scripts, presentations and verbal techniques is very difficult, specially in psychological forces, since it is all more or less based on English language. Any advice?

This is one of the banes of the “New School” way of doing Mentalism and the whole “I can do a show in the buff” mentality (which isn’t such a new thing. . . any solid Reader and Muscle Reader can and have been doing this very thing for generations). The hurdle that you mention here is compounded by geography and culture as well; The flower or vegetable most typically chosen will vary from region to region UNLESS you guide them, something I’m personal loathe to do given how apparent it seems. . . wording your patter to say, “Name the first long stem flower that comes to mind. . .” more or less constricts the choice to ROSE in that very, very few other flowers are associated with a long-stem mode of presentation. While Red & Blue are quite typical colors of popularity in the Westernized parts of the world Green & Yellow dominate a wide breadth of Hispanic influenced nations while Purple and Orange will prove the common within certain “sub-cultures” such as you find with people into the whole Vampire/Goth/Steampunk (ish) worlds – whatever contrasts with society being the rule in such cases.

As you can see, there are many variables that require the working Mentalist to keep on his/her toes and “refine” their material based on these little nuances; language is a part of this adjustment and to be honest with you, the only solution I’ve heard of is to get with other Mentalists & Psychologists in your country (speaking your language) and create modifications to the original material. You may also want to look at the statistical & demographic data associated with your “group culture” so as to better adjust your approach to the market you work vs. the typical market worked by we English speaking western-European types (which does infer the U.S., Canada & Mexico for those not aware of such) .

As I go back over this question the only thing I know will aid you in this case is to take some formal classes in Linguistics, Speaking, and even Psychology that are taught in your native tongue and pander to your native culture.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results