Muscle Pass

Apr 1, 2009
California
I recently purchased David Kong's Muscle Pass DVD and happened to get my hands on a half dollar luckily. So, naturally, I have been working on this move. Is it one of those things where your hand slowly develops strength as you work on it or is it about proper placement? It seems as though placement can be pretty flexible. The palm of my hand has red marks indicating where I've been working on the move, does the muscle eventually strengthen or is it always like this?

Yes, I'm fairly new to coin work. Outside knowledge on the few basic sleights and vanishes.

Dec 21, 2009
To be concise, yes. As you said, the placement is pretty flexible. And you will get marks, but as your hand gets stronger, well it'll be better ;)

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
It's both a matter of placement and strength. My buddy muscle passes way up near his index finger, whereas I do it far closer to the classic palm position. Experiment with the placement until you find one that works, then keep working at it. You'll get better and better as time goes on, but it may take a while depending on your hands. I think people with 'fleshy' hands get it quicker than people with skinny hands, personally. Also, the marks are normal. I get them all the time. The nickel in the coins can also make it seem like you're bruising long before you actually bruise.

Jun 25, 2010
England
This move takes a lot of time to develop, as long as you keep practicing it you will be fine. The placement is basically the same as the CP, and being able to do from the same position has its benefits.

Marks are normal , to start off it will slighty hurt you hand but you will overcome that after some practice. You`ll also notice youll end up getting a blue ring where you hold the coin, ive been doing the move for nearly a year now and the ring has nearly gone :D

Sep 3, 2007
It's just a coin hickey!

seriously though, thank you all. I'll keep at it!

I've been practicing it on-and-off for maybe 4-5 years or so although I haven't kept track.

At first you'll definitely get some bruises and even blood blisters unless you have the correct placement and right pressure. Most importantly, the correct pressure and intention of flight. There's also a knack with the mechanics that only comes with practice.

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
You also should stop practicing when it starts getting too painful. It will tear your hand to shreds (in the spot with the coin). I learned the hard way.

Just keep on it. It will come eventually. There's not a lot we can tell you (besides the common advice), you just start getting better the longer you practice.

Cheers

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
yeah i thought my palms were bruising when trying to learn this move. but they didnt really hurt. i wondered if it was the coin. haha wow, what a wuss is i. (intentionally poor grammar)

May 15, 2010
With Gerard Way
I am also learning this, I started 4 days ago and now the best I have is 4 inches. I guess an inch a day. "That's what she said" –Jesse Fienberg

I happily convinced him to learn this slight. It is great though I do have a circle on my left hand with a cut just to the left from the coin. What really sucked was that I had to endure the pain of it while practicing all week for my high schools drumline summer rehersals that are 3 hours long or more, depending on how mad my drum teacher is at the newbees. Lucky I'm not one.

But back to the point, everyone keep working on it, I couldn't leave my half dollar at home I practiced during the drumline breaks.

Ouch = Worth it

I am also learning this, I started 4 days ago and now the best I have is 4 inches. I guess an inch a day. "That's what she said" –Jesse Fienberg

I happily convinced him to learn this slight. It is great though I do have a circle on my left hand with a cut just to the left from the coin. What really sucked was that I had to endure the pain of it while practicing all week for my high schools drumline summer rehersals that are 3 hours long or more, depending on how mad my drum teacher is at the newbees. Lucky I'm not one.

But back to the point, everyone keep working on it, I couldn't leave my half dollar at home I practiced during the drumline breaks.

Ouch = Worth it
Ouch. For some reason I have never had any pain with this move. I'm over a foot (that's what she said) and have never had more than a faint redish tint on my thumb muscle. I made some videos a while back with some positioning pointers and how to clean up the pass. I'll see if I can find those and upload them to Vimeo for everyone.

All the best,
-Chase

Jan 10, 2009
University Park PA
also, a piece of advice that you may have heard before, if you want a confidence boost that your practice is paying off, try it with a poker chip instead of whatever metal coin you are practicing with.

S.G

Feb 9, 2010
Ouch. For some reason I have never had any pain with this move. I'm over a foot (that's what she said) and have never had more than a faint redish tint on my thumb muscle. I made some videos a while back with some positioning pointers and how to clean up the pass. I'll see if I can find those and upload them to Vimeo for everyone.

All the best,
-Chase

Sorry for barging in the topic as I have no knowledge with coins but, why would she say that?

-G

May 15, 2010
With Gerard Way
Update: muscle pass

I am up to 7 inches now. That's what she said. HAHA Well now I am comfortable with it enough I am using it in my Magic Castle audition routine. I am siked. Keep it up everyone the musle pass is EPIC.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results