Opinion on Loops

Jun 27, 2013
Hey guys, I recently watched Calen Morelli's lecture and on he tells of a story where he went to several local magic shops asking if they carried loops and the employees referred to them as black rubber bands that break super easily and that he should just put a ball of wax behind his ear and attach the other end to the table. What do you guys think of this? I think whoever said that never put the time in to get use to them.

Jan 22, 2012
Considering that I did break three loops just today performing magic, I still say they're very worth it. I didn't really do a good job at stretching them out first so that's why they didn't last and then just being stupid with them made them break. But I say USE LOOPS. Loops are seriously the best thing to get. I love loops a lot. Doing PK touches with them, animations, just plain old levitations with them are just fantastic. I highly recommend them. They're not for everyone but if you keep sticking with them, you'll see the true potential. Also I recommend getting Yigal Mesika's DVD "Loops" as well because it's very insightful.

Jun 27, 2013
Couldn't agree more but what kind do you use? Mesika or the Legacy thread ones that you tie yourself.

Mar 22, 2013
Munich / Germany
Couldn't agree more but what kind do you use? Mesika or the Legacy thread ones that you tie yourself.

I suggest getting the Mesika thread - I've tried a bunch of different loops and I have come to the conclusion that the Mesika loops are the most durable and least visible ones out there.

Last edited by a moderator:

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
Definitely use loops, there is no question about that. My experience with Legacy IT has been poor so I would personally avoid that. Infinity V2 has been really good to me and Mesika is also good. E released a "new" thread a while ago that boasts about being the best but I've not tried it yet. Failing that buy the Mesika pre-tied ones. Learning how to tie loops will save you a lot of money.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
I bought the Steve´s Fearson Vectra Elastic Mono and it´s great!! I highly recommend it!!

Also, it way better that your learn to tie your own loops, because to be honest, buying loops is really expensive, even if they are great, you can save a lot of money and it´s still have great quality

Jan 11, 2013
Dubai
Never leave home without them (literally!) at first you may break a few, but once you get used to them, i.e their breaking point and you have 'worn them in' a bit, you shouldn't be breaking them with normal use. Its only really snagging and not knowing their limits so you over stretch them that they will break.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I think the guys behind the counter should be spanked. . . that's older thinking than I'd give you.

I love what you can do with Loops though I'm all thumbs when it comes to working with thread. I do however, combine loops with an ITR unit (BOSS); when you combine methods it is much harder for others to reverse engineer what you're doing and too, you end up with a more fantastic effect...BUT, if you are doing Mentalism styled PK less is more; use one method first and then the other when asked to repeat the effect.

timsilva

Elite Member
Nov 18, 2007
California
timsilva.com
I bring loops with me everywhere I go and break them every so often. That is just the opinion of the guy in Calen's story. I certainly don't agree with it.

A little more information for anyone who's interested:

As I'm sure you've heard, with practice you can get tons of use out of them. There are many ways to make them devilishly practical. Check out Mesika's wallet credit card carrier. I have loved using it for years. You can easily invent your own system for carrying loops too, I've seen a few people that made their own systems (sometimes using playing cards) that work just as well. Unfortunately he doesn't sell the accessory separate from his one of his DVD sets but if you are new and interested in loops, it might be worth purchasing the whole thing.

I would recommend trying a few different loop packs that come pre-made pre-made so you can see what they should look and feel like when they are well made. If you find that you enjoy using them in your performance style, you can learn how to tie your own and buy large spools. I tie a ton in bulk every so often while watching a movie. The million dollar knot method from Penguin Magic is efficient, but there are a number of free resources (arguably better) out there if you search for them. As far as threads go, there are plenty of good options to choose from. I have 2-3 brands that I switch between depending on what I'm using it for. Some are better for certain effects, so I usually carry a variety of them with me at all times. Key factors include thickness, strength, reflectiveness, loop size, and susceptibility to picking up dust particles over time. Just like playing cards, each brand typically has its own strengths and weaknesses.

Loops are still a leading technology in magic. They aren't perfect, but their potential impact is more than sufficient to justify investing your time in. They are fun to use in the right moments, and people remember those effects forever.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results