People messing up my tricks :'(

towtox

Banned
Sep 4, 2010
Calgary Ab
At the very beginning say you'll use her for these tricks. Place the deck box in her hand and tell her to put her other hand over it. Say its extremely important that she doesn't let you get to the box. Then just do your routine and end it as normal. When she says 'Wait, why did you have me hold the box?' say 'because its a lot harder for you to ruin the show for everyone when your hands are already full.'.

Then spring the deck of cards in her face. And yell some one-word, nonsensical catch phrase like "HOUSE!". If possible, push her to the ground and throw up in her mouth.
Lol i will do that except the push her and puker sorry but thats ur fetish

LukeDancy

theory11 artist + consultant, Criss Angel MindFrea
Sep 18, 2007
Las Vegas
Tow,

Crap like this happens to the best of performers. The great thing about your question is that you want to learn from this experience. There's a great booklet for people just like the ones you are talking about called "Outs Precautions and Challenges". It goes over how to deal with hecklers and people that want to touch everything.

It's good to have a couple of effects on reserve just for people that want to try and mess you up. Being prepared will go a long way. Good luck!

l u k e

Sep 1, 2007
Yes yes... Be the good person and let it go and handle it... "civilly", but she tried to ruin your trick, she tried to make a fool of you... Why don't you have the right to do it back?

This drunk guy at a bar just demeaned my masculinity and questioned my parentage. Why shouldn't I kick the crap out of him? Don't I have the right to fight back?

If the best you can think of is petty vengeance, then you have very little imagination and even less self-control.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
This drunk guy at a bar just demeaned my masculinity and questioned my parentage. Why shouldn't I kick the crap out of him? Don't I have the right to fight back?

If the best you can think of is petty vengeance, then you have very little imagination and even less self-control.

how is fist fighting a drunk at a bar the same as shutting up a heckler during your performance?
there are many ways to react to a heckler but I just dont get why confronting him/her is so looked down upon. In every other performance career, if someone tries to ruin your act, there are consequences. You wont see a stage actor and musician pack up and leave just because one audience member is being a smart ass... (except nickelback) Sure they don't do the "taking care of " themselves, but there are still consequences. Comedians definitely take care of hecklers... so why cant magicians?
Yes... pulling the heckler aside and talking to him/ her will work.. but you can't do that in every performance can you? Every heckler you meet, you pull them aside and pause your show? I don't think so. And if you are working a job, you can't really stop what you are doing... People don't pay you to not perform. There has to be some compromise.
Yes it is rude and a bit disrespectful, but like any other performance art, as long as you handle the heckler professionally without actually trying to ruffle feathers, then isn't it fine? You don't lose any respect or prestige from the audience, and the heckler knows that it is not okay to do what he/ she is doing.
I'm not telling you to throw a piss fit and throw the heckler in a headlock until they promise they will shut up. I am just saying: be more aggressive to those who are aggressive towards you, but still keep it professional.

But in the context of this thread... perhaps it is smarter to keep the dad's girlfriend happy as things can get ugly can't it?

Sep 1, 2007
Comedians definitely take care of hecklers... so why cant magicians?

Are you Don Rickles? No? Then you're playing with fire.

I prefer Aikido to butting heads. The Brian Tudor approach to dealing with hecklers is for immature little boys who can't handle a crowd and believe they have something to prove.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Thankfully "laughter" is a really strong thing that we can use anytime, either make the dad laugh with things like :

Make a grouchy face and saying "Sad magician is sad" :(. Or things of the like I don't know, make him laugh and you will win him out.

But most probably, if he is your's girlfriend dad, most probably he is testing you out, seing how much can you endure, so you are qutting doing magic in front of him because you are afraid he will mess up things? then I don't think that will look good to him.

Play the odds and the circumstances to your advantage, you already know that the guy is a heckler and that he will grab your deck, build a routine around that, anticipating his moves, I do not mean Brian Tudor's Heckler routine, but hey, if the guy is predictable, use that to your advantage and build a routine that plays off when he takes the deck away or things like that, I do not know if you get my drill but try it.

Be creative :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 6, 2010
Nashville, TN
Thankfully "laughter" is a really strong thing that we can use anytime, either make the dad laugh with things like :

Make a grouchy face and saying "Sad magician is sad" :(. Or things of the like I don't know, make him lauhg and you will win him out.

But most probably, if he is your's girlfriend dad, most probably he is testing you out, seing how much can you endure, so you are qutting doing magic in front of him because you are afraid he will mess up things? then I don't think that will look good to him.

Play the odds and the circumstances to your advantage, you already know that the guy is a heckler and that he will grab your deck, build a routine around that, anticipating his moves, I do not mean Brian Tudor's Heckler routine, but hey, if the guy is predictable, use that to your advantage and build a routine that plays off when he takes the deck away or things like that, I do not know if you get my drill but try it.

Be creative :D

Its his dad's girlfriend, a female, not "he" or "him"

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I have found that if you are performing and having fun with the spectators and not presenting the effect as a "trick" but more as entertainment, they tend to not want to ruin your effects. For example: Skinners 3 card monte. Instead of having them guess where the ace is, and get it wrong = they feel dumb, "You" present yourself in 3rd person and say to the spectators, "You could imagine "my" surprise when I guessed that the ace was over here...but "I" was wrong.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
Are you Don Rickles? No? Then you're playing with fire.

I prefer Aikido to butting heads. The Brian Tudor approach to dealing with hecklers is for immature little boys who can't handle a crowd and believe they have something to prove.

So you are just going to ignore the rest of my post then?
Did i ever say be Tudor and say "f*** you kid, you dont know sh**!"? no. I did not.
And good job using Don Rickle's as an example. He is the only comedian who uses insult comedy yeah? no.
And plenty of magicians have used insult comedy in their performances as a persona as well as a method to get rid of hecklers. They are pretty damn successful and loved.
So no. it is not "playing with fire" when you confront hecklers in ways other than staying quiet.

Sep 1, 2007
So you are just going to ignore the rest of my post then?
Did i ever say be Tudor and say "f*** you kid, you dont know sh**!"? no. I did not.
And good job using Don Rickle's as an example. He is the only comedian who uses insult comedy yeah? no.
And plenty of magicians have used insult comedy in their performances as a persona as well as a method to get rid of hecklers. They are pretty damn successful and loved.
So no. it is not "playing with fire" when you confront hecklers in ways other than staying quiet.

Oh quit your ****ing crying.

Insult comedy is great when it works. But for every guy who can make it work, there's a hundred who can't. Given those odds, you're probably not one of the former. Using a "super impossible" or whatever trick to embarrass someone into shutting up is a dick move and if you do it, don't whine when people like me disapprove.

And don't piss on my leg saying that I accused you of only using Brian Tudor's dickhead attitude when you acted as if the only option I suggested was pausing the show or retreating.

My whole point is that I prefer Aikido to boxing. Why butt heads with a guy when I can get him to tie his own rope for me? Why go through the effort of trading insults when I can just maneuver him into damning himself with his own words? I'm not going to get my hands dirty if I don't have to.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
Given those odds, you're probably not one of the former.

Oh but I am.
Stop being a pompous ass and get off that non-existent pedestal. Just because you can't pull something off or you have yet to see anyone do so in your circle of friends does not mean it is difficult. Perhaps you just lack the knowledge or experience. If you can't do something, don't assume it is the same for others.

And don't piss on my leg saying that I accused you of only using Brian Tudor's dickhead attitude when you acted as if the only option I suggested was pausing the show or retreating.

Ah... but the thing is... I never accused you of suggesting "pausing the show or retreating" did I? In my post, I was merely taking an example from the crowed to prove my point. My post was barely even directed to you, only the first sentence.
Your post on the other hand, is clearly directed at me isn't it? If not, then I apologize

My whole point is that I prefer Aikido to boxing.

You just love Aikido don't you? Why don't you explain this metaphor?
I don't know much about Aikido, but isn't it just a method of fighting without actually hurting your opponent? Isn't it just a form of fighting where you use your opponents own energy or momentum to cause their own downfall?
So isn't this equivalent to what I was suggesting? "handling the heckler professionally without actually trying to ruffle feathers." I suggested handling the heckler without actually trying to piss him/ her off, without actually trying to hurt him/ her. I suggested to handle things tactfully without stepping on toes, yet still letting them know that you have the ability to take care of them. Is this not the same philosophy as what Aikido does? Handling someone without actually hurting them?
You were the one who assumed I meant being a Brian Tudor, equivalent to a boxing.
Others suggested talking to the heckler, which is basically saying "please don't hit me".
Others suggested stopping the performance, which is equivalent to pointing and run

P.S. I tried to keep this conversation civilized. You were the immature little kid who had to use his big words to put someone down. Seems someone is the "immature little boy".

Sep 1, 2007
Oh but I am.
Stop being a pompous ass and get off that non-existent pedestal. Just because you can't pull something off or you have yet to see anyone do so in your circle of friends does not mean it is difficult. Perhaps you just lack the knowledge or experience. If you can't do something, don't assume it is the same for others.

So you assume my belief comes from solipsistic ignorance? I've never seen you perform. Given the odds, I just erred on the side of probability.

Ah... but the thing is... I never accused you of suggesting "pausing the show or retreating" did I? In my post, I was merely taking an example from the crowed to prove my point. My post was barely even directed to you, only the first sentence.
Your post on the other hand, is clearly directed at me isn't it? If not, then I apologize

I thought it was directed at me personally and it was phrased in the manner of creating a false choice.

Is this not the same philosophy as what Aikido does? Handling someone without actually hurting them?

No. If you've never seen an Aikido master fight, here's what happens: The attacker charges the Aikido master. Something subtle happens, and suddenly the attacker is on the ground and screaming with his elbow bending the wrong way. Aikido is not about not hurting people, it's about letting them do the work for you.

I've only encountered a handful of hecklers in my time and every single one of them was easily dealt with by allowing them to tie their own noose. For people who were merely being tough, that's a whole different topic and requires a different skill set. Specifically, diplomacy.

P.S. I tried to keep this conversation civilized. You were the immature little kid who had to use his big words to put someone down. Seems someone is the "immature little boy".

A rich man doesn't need to tell you he's rich.

And why does anyone who uses vocabulary beyond a 7th grade reading level get called an ******* and "trying to use big words to put people down?" Is it really that goddamn hard to believe that I use "big" words because they fit what I'm trying to say? Do you actually perceive my knowledge of my own native language as a threat? What is going on here, honestly?

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
For the first time i agree with steerpike.
I will not try to back him up, because i am no wear near as good at explaining my thoughts through text as he is.

So to the kid who posted the thread, don't give up.
Practice and get better, find some tricks that aren't self working but close to it. Something that she can't screw up, i cant recommended any. but im sure someone can..

Getting a real reaction from her, fooling her, will be such a better feeling then getting revenge from making fun of her or the other ways people have pointed out.

If you can't then just don't perform for her anymore, some people you just can't get through to.
One of my dad's friends, who i have known sense i was born and i consider my friend is one of those people. I love the guy, but you just can't do magic for him.
And then my dad's poker buddies, absolutely love it!
They always want me to do something.

My advice is, practice, practice, practice, and then practice some more. Go out and perform for people you DON'T know, then practice some more.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
So you assume my belief comes from solipsistic ignorance? I've never seen you perform. Given the odds, I just erred on the side of probability.

good that you know.

No. If you've never seen an Aikido master fight, here's what happens: The attacker charges the Aikido master. Something subtle happens, and suddenly the attacker is on the ground and screaming with his elbow bending the wrong way. Aikido is not about not hurting people, it's about letting them do the work for you.

I've only encountered a handful of hecklers in my time and every single one of them was easily dealt with by allowing them to tie their own noose. For people who were merely being tough, that's a whole different topic and requires a different skill set. Specifically, diplomacy.

Yet that is it, that something subtle that happens that causes the heckler's downfall. That is what I have been trying to say the whole time. Instead of standing idly by and hoping for the best, we should cause that something subtle to happen, leading the heckler to his own demise.
And since you have such great experience with hecklers, can you please share your many methods to deal with them? Perhaps an anecdote?

And why does anyone who uses vocabulary beyond a 7th grade reading level get called an ******* and "trying to use big words to put people down?" Is it really that goddamn hard to believe that I use "big" words because they fit what I'm trying to say? Do you actually perceive my knowledge of my own native language as a threat? What is going on here, honestly?
You do not use "big words" because they fit into what you say. You know it is necessary, that your point of view would still be clearly seen without the addition of such words. You use them to make yourself feels stronger don't you? because here in the virtual world, your actual physical state doesn't matter does it? In the real world, you would never go ahead and insult someone on your 2nd sentence would you? but here on the internet, you're big ol' steerpike, oh so tough...
Get over the fact that you don't have to use insult as a tool of debate. You don't see the UN calling out each other and using names do you? I don't think so. Grow up kid.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results