Pickpocketing

bd

Jun 26, 2008
San Francisco, California
There are multiple 1-on-1 suggestion threads throughout the site. I suggest using them, instead of creating your own little thread about your own little suggestion.

This may come as a harsh surprise, but you aren't special. ;)

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Before this get's closed, just to answer and remind, that JB said "We are listening", while we asked for pickpocketing DVD or 1on1, so who knows what will they come up with.

Sep 20, 2008
Hypnosis and medicine. Yeah right..

You can gain a deeper insight onto 'Hypnosis' just by picking up Derren brown's book. Medicinal purposes- sure. Only the 'placebo' side of it, but not in its entirety.

Joe Garcia said:
When will we see a 1 on 1 on Pickpocketing by Apollo Robbins. or may be a full length DVD.

Pickpocketing would be a very resourceful skill in my repertoire. I was always a fan of pickpocket work. In Gregory Wilson's On the Spot, he teaches a few versatile steals for hanging items like pens and sunglasses to do some effective jazz magic with. I experimented with it and always wanted to learn more. The closest to pickpocketing I've ever gotten was incorporating the watch steal into my strolling close-up act. I fully recommend Chappy Brazil's (RIP) work on the topic, but I would LOVE to see something finally released by Apollo as well. I remember watching the Coats and Byrd DVDs on the subject but felt they were mindlessly horrible at what they did. There was never any structure or subtlety in their techniques. They often manhandled their spectators and made pickpocketing look messy and tasteless. Chappy Brazil and Apollo Robbins, on the other hand, both have a very elegant and artistic touch in their flavors of theatrical pickpocketing. I believe we could learn a lot from Apollo in that regard.

Honestly, however, if T11 does release anything on pickpocketing, I hope they keep it somewhat exclusive by keeping a higher price-tag on it than other products. I know T11's target audience is of a younger generation, and I would hate to see incompetant hacks attempt the craft out of sheer curiosity. Not only would the majority of them look ridiculous, but it would pose a significant problem for those with the ambition to take theatrical pickpocketing seriously.

They cant do hypnosis because they dont have the rights to teach that. Hypnosis is actually a type of medicine and research source. You have to be certified to do it in most countries and in the US most of the states dont allow hypnotizing without a professional or you being a professional.

Mikk

Your understanding of hypnosis is pretty misguided. It's not nearly as regulated as you say. In fact, many of the certified courses available on the subject are merely self-proclaimed and over-hyped. To my own knowledge, there is no legitimate law saying you need to be certified to perform hypnosis for entertainment. In fact, it is popular knowledge in the hypnosis community, that a certification is nothing more than a piece of paper to show alleged 'feel-good credentials' for potential clients. I know several hypnotists who simply took at-home study courses and proclaimed themselves professionals for the rest of their careers.

I speak from experience as well. I've actually been incorporating hypnosis into my mentalism act pretty steadily in the past year to much success. I can assure you that it's is perfectly legal within the states and much simpler to learn than you would probably expect. There are numerous misconceptions about what hypnosis actually is. Unfortunately, these misconceptions make people believe that it is a dangerous and sensitive practice. With common sense and proper management (like any performance art), the insanely small risk inherent in hypnosis is easily mitigated.

Sinful07 said:
You can gain a deeper insight onto 'Hypnosis' just by picking up Derren brown's book.

I own Pure Effect and Absolute Magic. Although I don't have the books on me right now, I don't distinctly remember him ever detailing hypnosis in either book. If he does, I'm pretty sure he doesn't do so adequately. I wouldn't recommend his books for insight at all. If you're seriously interested in hypnosis, I would recommend purchasing the e-books from TrickShop for a very fundamental, basic understanding of it. I would then recommend the works of Anthony Jacquin and Ormond McGill to supplement and build of that understanding and put it to use. If you can afford it, take an actual hands-on course in hypnosis to solidify your technique and confidence. This was the path I took, and I'm personally very, very happy with the results I've had.

Whew.

RS.

Your understanding of hypnosis is pretty misguided. It's not nearly as regulated as you say. In fact, many of the certified courses available on the subject are merely self-proclaimed and over-hyped. To my own knowledge, there is no legitimate law saying you need to be certified to perform hypnosis for entertainment. In fact, it is popular knowledge in the hypnosis community, that a certification is nothing more than a piece of paper to show alleged 'feel-good credentials' for potential clients. I know several hypnotists who simply took at-home study courses and proclaimed themselves professionals for the rest of their careers.

I speak from experience as well. I've actually been incorporating hypnosis into my mentalism act pretty steadily in the past year to much success. I can assure you that it's is perfectly legal within the states and much simpler to learn than you would probably expect. There are numerous misconceptions about what hypnosis actually is. Unfortunately, these misconceptions make people believe that it is a dangerous and sensitive practice. With common sense and proper management (like any performance art), the insanely small risk inherent in hypnosis is easily mitigated.

RS.

Romeo awesome post. Got alot of info from it.
I wasnt really talking about the learning and doing part but the teaching part. Although i was quite suprised that its more open than i thought.

I was being a bit Ignorant while posting that. I sometimes step too far from my actual knowledge(as we all do from time to time).

Thanks for clearin things up!

Mikk

I wasnt really talking about the learning and doing part but the teaching part.

I may be wrong, but as far as I know, there's no required credential to teaching hypnosis either. Granted, if someone has some noteworthy experience, people will obviously take that individual's instruction more seriously. But with that said, I believe anyone who has the knowledge and capability to teach can share whatever they know to the masses. It's as simple as making a PDF file or home movie-- which is essentially what the majority of at-home courses are comprised of.

RS.

Sep 20, 2008
Romeo, in 'Tricks of the mind' he tackles Hypnosis head on alongside topics such as Suggestion and other aspects. To point out- Tricks of the mind is not a 'How to' book but more of Derren's experiences.

Well said. Derren's book is awesome to read, but if you want to learn "hypnosis," pick up The new encyclopedia of stage hypnotism by Ormond McGill. Michael Mezmer, a great htpnotist, suggested this book. He suggested a school for it too. I will not attend the school, but the book is pretty cool.

Jan 9, 2008
Sacramento
Hypnosis and medicine. Yeah right..

You can gain a deeper insight onto 'Hypnosis' just by picking up Derren brown's book. Medicinal purposes- sure. Only the 'placebo' side of it, but not in its entirety.

Actually, even though hypnosis isn't at all common in hospitals and etc., there have been psychological studies using brain mapping, and for a very "hypnotizable" person, a suggestion of pain while under hypnosis is as powerful as the real thing (according to signals in the brain). It's pretty awesome, and I chunk it up as the power of our imagination!

Kevin

And, Derren Brown's other book, Tricks of the Mind, does delve into hypnosis. But not Absolute Magic or Pure Effect. Cheers

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
in b4 closing;

I wouldn't think a licensed company can sell the means of an illegal act.

I mean, to me, it doesn't make sense. Although, like aforementioned, DVD's are out...

Gus

Apr 1, 2009
California
As far as hypnosis goes, The Manchurian Approach is an absolute gold mine. Not only for hypnotist wannabes, but for magicians in general. I'm going through it very slowly taking notes along the way. There's a section about 20-30 minutes long on "The Opener" which will help any of you immensely. It's on approaching your spectator off the street. The how to's, psychology... etc... amazing.

as far as pickpocketing. There's a dvd set I'm looking into due to the fact that I'm very interested in getting into it as well. Encyclopedia Of Pickpocketing. Several volumes. Covers everything from Pickpocketing jewelry, front pockets, back pockets, as well as putpocketing. Looks like an another goldmine, if only there were a review by someone who has it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results