Put the cards down...

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Also I restated my point bluntly at the end, "Its the performer's fault.”

Which is a pompous thing to say because its exactly what I and sherlock are saying.
The fact that we gear our argument towards card tricks is because...well ive said it many times in the last page. With what was quoted from toyrobot and after.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 13, 2009
Which is a pompous thing to say because its exactly what I and sherlock are saying.

THE IRONY, its smothering me. *Gags and dies*

Let me clue you in if you and sherlock are saying it wouldn't one of you be pompous as well? I mean since you restated the same thing that I said apparently, to be honest I haven't read most of the posts because most of the people who posted in the thread aren't around anymore to have a good discussion. To once again say my point.

THE IRONY!

PS

Happy birthday, go do something and enjoy the celebration of growing one year closer to death. Huzzah isn't pessimism grand. *throws confetti of chopped dead horse everywhere.*

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
THE IRONY, its smothering me. *Gags and dies*

Let me clue you in if you and sherlock are saying it wouldn't one of you be pompous as well? I mean since you restated the same thing that I said apparently, to be honest I haven't read most of the posts because most of the people who posted in the thread aren't around anymore to have a good discussion. To once again say my point.

THE IRONY!

PS

Happy birthday, go do something and enjoy the celebration of growing one year closer to death. Huzzah isn't pessimism grand. *throws confetti of chopped dead horse everywhere.*
We stated this before you even came into the discussion.Jesus christ.
Look kiddo,your the only one not really participating here so just leave okay?
You havent even taken the time to read through the thread. Everyone else is having a nice discussion,your the only one coming in here like a 12 year old boy from youtube. We're saying its the performers fault. Apparently your saying it too.Whats your argument? What are you trying to say?At least think before you post.
P.S. I dont celebrate until 9PM. Im 19 not turning 9.
Also,stop being a hypocrite. You cry about people "bashing" others and look at the way you come in here or what your saying. No one else is doing personal attacks but you.

Sep 13, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Let me just say one thing. Every layman knows that if you do voodoo, or have contact with the spirit world, you wont be waving around a deck of cards. When you say you do magic, one of the first things that come to a layman's head is "Pick a card, any card". That is proof that cards are extremely overused(and with extremely poor patter, I might add).

A card effect can be a realy great experience for both the laymen, and the magician, and if you can do them good, I for one have nothing against card magic. I think the reason they are overused so much is because most effects on the market are card effects. You'll have a much harder time finding burger tricks.

The point I want to make is this. I dont think anyone on this forum has anything against card tricks. It is just the fact that cards have so many things that can take away from the miracle of the effect(e.g. flourishes, and bad patter). Bad patter is very easy when doing card tricks. For instance, any card magic line that a layman heard is usually a bad patter choice. Also, many laymen dont take card magic seriously, seeing how many 7 year old kids do tricks with the same props(cards).

Also, as an afterthought, when I do card tricks, there are several things I hate. Like when my spectators want to show me a trick that I knew before my magic days. And, especially when performing for kids, I hate it when they bend the card so bad that when I put it back in the deck, there is literally a 45 degree space.

Maybe we should finally put down the cards.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Let me just say one thing. Every layman knows that if you do voodoo, or have contact with the spirit world, you wont be waving around a deck of cards. When you say you do magic, one of the first things that come to a layman's head is "Pick a card, any card". That is proof that cards are extremely overused(and with extremely poor patter, I might add).

A card effect can be a realy great experience for both the laymen, and the magician, and if you can do them good, I for one have nothing against card magic. I think the reason they are overused so much is because most effects on the market are card effects. You'll have a much harder time finding burger tricks.

The point I want to make is this. I dont think anyone on this forum has anything against card tricks. It is just the fact that cards have so many things that can take away from the miracle of the effect(e.g. flourishes, and bad patter). Bad patter is very easy when doing card tricks. For instance, any card magic line that a layman heard is usually a bad patter choice. Also, many laymen dont take card magic seriously, seeing how many 7 year old kids do tricks with the same props(cards).

Also, as an afterthought, when I do card tricks, there are several things I hate. Like when my spectators want to show me a trick that I knew before my magic days. And, especially when performing for kids, I hate it when they bend the card so bad that when I put it back in the deck, there is literally a 45 degree space.

Maybe we should finally put down the cards.

Bravo,very well put.
I dont understand why some people here were thinking I was bashing cards themselves. I clearly stated in my opening post quite the opposite.

Happy B Day visual.

We all agree that it's the performers responsibility for the show.

I actually watched the Ricky Jay thing a few weeks ago for the third or fourth time. He has charisma and presentation like very few others, note the very few. Not many people can do a show with only cards, hell not many people it seems can do a show period or a single effect well.

The reason behind the thread as I see it is simply this, magic is not card tricks it is how you present the effect, however there are more than cards out there. There are in my eyes more powerful effects out there that don't deal with cards than there are that do use cards.

That's because so many card effects come out nowadays that it ruins the field with useless material that has no valid reason for being released.

This also deals with creators, compare Jay Sankey to Richard Sanders and the quality and how many effects they release.

Jul 13, 2009
We stated this before you even came into the discussion.Jesus christ.
Look kiddo,your the only one not really participating here so just leave okay?
You havent even taken the time to read through the thread. Everyone else is having a nice discussion,your the only one coming in here like a 12 year old boy from youtube. We're saying its the performers fault. Apparently your saying it too.Whats your argument? What are you trying to say?At least think before you post.
P.S. I dont celebrate until 9PM. Im 19 not turning 9.
Also,stop being a hypocrite. You cry about people "bashing" others and look at the way you come in here or what your saying. No one else is doing personal attacks but you.

Oh no the big bad wolf is stomping into a discussion and giving more valid points. All you are doing is posting bravos and high fives and jacking off and splorting all over your own thread. Why not tell us why its a bravo put some thought into your posts, or let me rephrase that put more thought into your posts. You know I remember my psychiatrist mentioning that humans learn from repetition. I read through the thread when it was bloody fresh, never always was a wolf after all. If you are trying to insult me by comparing myself to a 12 year old youtube person, which I see no relevance at all to this thread. You failed, but you do Succeed and making yourself look like a douce Mr. 19 going on 9.

I am not bashing anything or anyone except for now, I was only stating why your point on my point was wrong. Then I proceeded to explain why your point was wrong and mine was more right. The only person that I see whining is yourself and the people who say others are bashing card magic.

Also way to go drag Sherlock in here maybe I will have ill feeling for your actions what a great friend.

Another thing I do not know why you feel the importance of making sure people hear you and making sure people know that you said this before this person. Personally I could care less if people know who said what, I aint looking for that rep. if I was do you really think I would be posting this. Anyway your legal go and get laid or better yet a job. <~~ you see that I followed your example by putting something completely irrelevant in my post.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Another thing I do not know why you feel the importance of making sure people hear you and making sure people know that you said this before this person. .

Says the guy who just said a post ago that YOU were the one with the idea first.
Someone needs to put this pup to sleep. He's not even deserving of being called a wolf. Just leave,your arguing for the sake of arguing. Let the the pack talk and go play with a chew toy. If your going to start with personal attacks like a child,then so will I.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Happy B Day visual.

We all agree that it's the performers responsibility for the show.

I actually watched the Ricky Jay thing a few weeks ago for the third or fourth time. He has charisma and presentation like very few others, note the very few. Not many people can do a show with only cards, hell not many people it seems can do a show period or a single effect well.

The reason behind the thread as I see it is simply this, magic is not card tricks it is how you present the effect, however there are more than cards out there. There are in my eyes more powerful effects out there that don't deal with cards than there are that do use cards.

That's because so many card effects come out nowadays that it ruins the field with useless material that has no valid reason for being released.

This also deals with creators, compare Jay Sankey to Richard Sanders and the quality and how many effects they release.

Thanks man. Ricky jay is almost about the only guy I can watch with a deck of cards.

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
Uuuuuum...........right...... Think this got a little out of hand? Hmmm?

Anyway, nobody's bashing cards. It's just that they are really overused. Plus, even when done extremely well, they still don't come off as magic. People will still know you did something, even if they have no idea what (unless it's mentalism with cards). Cards are really just a safe zone for a lot of people. If you like doing just cards, fine. Go for it, I'm all for that. But for me, I want to be more than that.

I want to be a magician. And my ideas of a magician are not just someone who does card trick all the time. He can create miracles wherever he goes. Do magic with anything. Do magic any time not just "Oh dang! Sorry, can't perform. Left my cards at home." That's the way I think of a magician. And that is what I want to be. I'll admit, I can't do much without my coins or cards, but I'm working on it.

Anyway...this isn't meant to point anyone out, if you just want to do cards, that's great. But for me, I want to be more...

Peace

I'm not going to comment on the first part of the post.

However, he did not drag me in as I stated exactly what he said. He used actual evidence as to what he was disputing.

If you have some sort of ill feeling towards me based on what he said then that's more of a personal problem.

I have no real problem with your comments keoke, however both you and visual need to let this go. No real point in arguing over something that has no point to the thread other than to prove somebody's insults are better.

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
however both you and visual need to let this go. No real point in arguing over something that has no point to the thread other than to prove somebody's insults are better.
Bing bing bing bing bing! Give the man a cigar! Seriously...you guys need to leave it, as arguing (no matter who is right) doesn't get anybody anywhere. Especially on a forum. Geez...

Jul 13, 2009
Let me just say one thing. Every layman knows that if you do voodoo, or have contact with the spirit world, you wont be waving around a deck of cards.
Oh my goodness you sound like a bizarrist that’s a good thing. Believe it or not there are a small percentage of magicians who do convince people they can do that stuff. It’s quite remarkable actually; some of the best mages I know of are Tony Andruzzi, Punx, Eugen Poinc, Ed Solomon, and Eugene Burger. Oh the list goes on and on, anyway the point I am getting to is this, they all use pasteboards in there own unique way, but the way they use them actually makes sense and can sway their audience into believing they can contact spirits.

If they can do it, what are the normal card magicians doing wrong? How can magicians use a deck of cards to sway their audience into believing in the metaphysical?

When you say you do magic, one of the first things that come to a layman's head is "Pick a card, any card". That is proof that cards are extremely overused(and with extremely poor patter, I might add).

Unfortunately that is too true.

I agree completely with your points: most magicians suck at patter, its easy to make cheesy patter along with card tricks, and cards are the most accessible prop to beginning magicians.
Great points, another I would like to add is this. “It’s easier to just say you have fast hands. Then you have magic.”

PS

While posting an actual contributing post I noticed some new posts, all I have to say is. I think I can make it through the rest of the night tonight you just made me LOL. Anyway back to the thing I am getting paid for that thurr museum exhibit aint going to design itself.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
If they can do it, what are the normal card magicians doing wrong? How can magicians use a deck of cards to sway their audience into believing in the metaphysical?

Its not that they're doing anything "wrong" because most of them have only 2,maybe 3,years of magic experience in their belt. Its that they have no intention of trying to move forward. They're concern is with whats the latest and who has the faster hands. Its all evident. No one gives a damn about presentation and acting anymore because they have their handy dandy new card tricks that need no introduction. Much less any substance.
Put the cards down is more of a movement than a thread title.

Jul 13, 2009
I'm not going to comment on the first part of the post.

However, he did not drag me in as I stated exactly what he said. He used actual evidence as to what he was disputing.

If you have some sort of ill feeling towards me based on what he said then that's more of a personal problem.

Why would I have ill feelings toward you? I can't really have ill feelings toward you because of your future plans. I have the up most of respect for you, I can't say the same about others unfortunately.

just to clear this up I only mentioned you because that is just a pet peeve of mine, don't speak for someone else.

Okay off of sherlock back to Beeves,

"Says the guy who just said a post ago that YOU were the one with the idea first."
I have no idea what you are talking about and I am fine with that.

Dec 30, 2008
"I've always liked things that seem ordinary, like a pencil. And isn't it fascinating how Picasso could pick up a pencil and create a piece of art while most just make a shopping list? A pack of cards is the same; most just gamble with it or play solitaire, while we take a deck of cards and create a theatrical experience. This formal minimalism has always fascinated me."

- Roberto Giobbi (When asked about why he settled on card magic)

Genii: THE CONJURORS MAGAZINE
November 2009 issue

Of course this can be used with any object. I would like to see a cotton candy routine personally. Now I think it depends on the magician what objects they use to do their magic. Roberto Giobbi can do a whole show with just cards and people will be completely happy and entertained at the end of the show. Some.... Most magicians can't do that. (Me being one of them that cannot) I like this idea with masks. Like Jeff McBride. He does a whole routine with something one may use on Halloween or in a tribal dance (Thats what I use it for) and does magic with them, creates art. So I'll leave you with another quote.

"Whatever you are, be a good one"

-Abraham Lincoln

May 31, 2008
Cards are overused, great tools, great magic can be accomplished with them, but they are overused.

Why would someone with magic powers need playing cards at all times?

Why would someone who is a "master entertainer" need playing cards at all times?

Why would someone who is a sleight of hand expert need playing cards at all times?

Even if none of these are your style, put down the cards, do something else, then go ahead and pick them back up.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results