Put the cards down...

Dec 30, 2008
Cards are overused, great tools, great magic can be accomplished with them, but they are overused.

Why would someone with magic powers need playing cards at all times?

Why would someone who is a "master entertainer" need playing cards at all times?

Why would someone who is a sleight of hand expert need playing cards at all times?

Even if none of these are your style, put down the cards, do something else, then go ahead and pick them back up.

Do laymen think of these things?

Do they care?

Do they like me better because I'm a magician?

Have you seen my pants anywhere? ;)

But really, I wonder if they think about this.

May 31, 2008
Do laymen think of these things?

Do they care?

Do they like me better because I'm a magician?

Have you seen my pants anywhere? ;)

But really, I wonder if they think about this.

You raise a good point. You could be correct, we don't really know what spectators think about cards, but I've always found that cards are the least favorite type of magic effects for spectators. It's probably because they seem cheesy to them.

Dec 30, 2008
You raise a good point. You could be correct, we don't really know what spectators think about cards, but I've always found that cards are the least favorite type of magic effects for spectators. It's probably because they seem cheesy to them.

I blame Burling Hull.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX

If you ask them,they dont want to see card tricks. But we dont give them options either. As spectators they will rather like to watch things float,things going through other things,etc. People cry out for substance,but they usually dont get it.
They'res been a topic raised before where a magician asked them what kind of magic they like to see. The majority of the answers were more imaginative(and actually do-able effects with a little thought) than magicians themselves.

Dec 30, 2008
If you ask them,they dont want to see card tricks. But we dont give them options either. As spectators they will rather like to watch things float,things going through other things,etc. People cry out for substance,but they usually dont get it.
They'res been a topic raised before where a magician asked them what kind of magic they like to see. The majority of the answers were more imaginative(and actually do-able effects with a little thought) than magicians themselves.

You have to agree that most people don't want to see a card trick because of the "Pick a card, any card" guys.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
You have to agree that most people don't want to see a card trick because of the "Pick a card, any card" guys.

Yeah,I know. But the new guys arent that much better. And alot of times its still basically pick a card they just dont say it.

Its alot of staring down at the cards and very little attention to performance or connectivity with an audience.

Dec 30, 2008
Yeah,I know. But the new guys arent that much better. And alot of times its still basically pick a card they just dont say it.

Its alot of staring down at the cards and very little attention to performance or connectivity with an audience.

So once again... It comes down to the preformer...

Around every corner, you will be reminded...

After every sleight, it will smack you in the face...

After every kicker ending, it speaks to you again...

DON'T RELY ON YOUR TOOLS! YOUR THE ENTERTAINER!

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
I think that's probably a lot of the reason cards are not very drawing, unless done well. Actually, watch Aaron Fisher perform card magic for people some time. He is soooo interactive with his audience. A lot to learn from his performances...

Mike.Hankins

creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/tricks/
Nov 21, 2009
Sacramento, Cali
If they can do it said:
The "normal" card magicians are wearing tuxedos...simple as that.

People like Eugene Burger and pretty much ANYONE found in the Mystery School book of Jeff McBride and Eugene Burger's all LOOK the part they play. They have taken the art to a whole new level. They ALL have a dark side to their magic and it is very real because of how real they look.

Then we have kids out there who try to "mentally divine information" by utilizing their dark powers. I have NEVER seen a convincing mentalist who wasn't over the age of 30. (With the exception of Uri Geller, but there are ALWAYS exceptions to the rules) :)

McBride and Burger teach in their Master Class the 4 stages of a magician. In order they are: Trickster, Sorcerer, Oracle and Sage. And it allllll makes sense what each mean. I can post it all if anyone is interested.

Mike

Jul 13, 2009

People like Eugene Burger and pretty much ANYONE found in the Mystery School book of Jeff McBride and Eugene Burger's all LOOK the part they play. They have taken the art to a whole new level. They ALL have a dark side to their magic and it is very real because of how real they look.

I didn't mean professional parlor, or sit down closeup magicians, I am talking about this new breed of Street magician the gorilla style of closeup magic.

You also did make a point onto how to make your magic more believable, look the part. If you can't look the part, just don't perform magic. You know what I am saying?

Oct 12, 2009
Navarre, Florida
McBride and Burger teach in their Master Class the 4 stages of a magician. In order they are: Trickster, Sorcerer, Oracle and Sage. And it allllll makes sense what each mean. I can post it all if anyone is interested.

Mike

Very interested.

Still reading the thread but don't feel I have much more to contribute without reiterating old points I've already made.

If you can do magic then why don't you use anything but cards?

Not directed at you specifically unknownmagician, that's the general question of the thread.

I asked 20 people today, a whole variety of different personalities, and just different period. I said if a magician could do magic would they just use cards, and they all said no but it's kind of entertaining to watch some cool card tricks.

That is roughly the same thing every single one said when I asked them that question. Before I asked them that question I did a 3 phase rubberband routine using the meaningless patter that many magicians seem to use.

I then performed literally the exact same routine with my own presentation. After a few more minutes of talking I asked about each one, pretty much everyone couldn't even remember the first one because it was not meaningful but had slightly entertained them. Yet they all could relate to my close friends and growing apart script, and loved it not even realizing it until I said they were the exact same thing.

I'm not saying you can't do this with cards, but why would you when it's obvious they are overused when the spectator asks before you do, "so I pick a card right?"

Aug 18, 2008
agreed with Randy 100%. If you love cards and get your spectators going with them why do anything?

To better yourself as a magician?
To be able to perform something without a deck of cards?
To be able to give a more diverse performance?
To learn more about magic in general?

This is just sad

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX

Then we have kids out there who try to "mentally divine information" by utilizing their dark powers. I have NEVER seen a convincing mentalist who wasn't over the age of 30. (With the exception of Uri Geller, but there are ALWAYS exceptions to the rules) :)

Mike

Totally agree with you there. But my OP was strictly aimed at the new(5 or 6 years new) street magic cool kids. The ones who are lanky and dress as if they just woke up. After a year or maybe two(and 2 is stretching it) they are still performing the exact same way with absolute little performance abilities and nothing but card tricks to show their "growth" in magic. Something is wrong.

Sep 1, 2007
Totally agree with you there. But my OP was strictly aimed at the new(5 or 6 years new) street magic cool kids. The ones who are lanky and dress as if they just woke up. After a year or maybe two(and 2 is stretching it) they are still performing the exact same way with absolute little performance abilities and nothing but card tricks to show their "growth" in magic. Something is wrong.

The street magic cool kids are hardly anything more than a band wagon waiting to dribble to an end, magic has boomed recently and with it will come people who want to follow the trend.

I do routines with spongeballs and coins as well, but should I really stop all my card magic just because they're over used?

~Beans

Dec 30, 2008
Is it our job widen our horizons as magicians? Or is it to entertain?

I would say if you are a card magician and your happy and your audience is happy and entertained, stick with that! Especially if you don't like doing other magic. That way, you won't have to "work" a day in your life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
The street magic cool kids are hardly anything more than a band wagon waiting to dribble to an end, magic has boomed recently and with it will come people who want to follow the trend.

I do routines with spongeballs and coins as well, but should I really stop all my card magic just because they're over used?

~Beans

You didnt read my posts here well.
I never said one should stop using cards completely. Its stated quite clearly in my OP and some posts afterwards. If your already naturally inclined to other forms of magic then these messages of "put the cards down" are clearly not for you.

Mike.Hankins

creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/tricks/
Nov 21, 2009
Sacramento, Cali

I am going to have to politely disagree here. I have been performing magic professionally for almost 10 years now and I must say that I cannot count the number of times I have been asked "Hey, my friend just got here, can you do that trick again where my signed card gets burned and then is restored"? This while I am doing something completely different besides cards.

If you do something well, people will want to watch it again and again. Variety is the spice of life, yes. And in my working repertoire, I do way more than just cards. But you cannot generalize for the entire population of people who enjoy watching magic by saying "If you ask them, they don't want to see card tricks." And then continuing on with, "As spectators they will rather like to watch things float, things going through other things, etc." Look at the Magic Castle for example. In the close-up room and the W.C. Fields bar, you either have card guys, coin guys or both. Yes, they will use other objects as well, but primarily they stick to what they do best. Entertain with their said props. (Cards and coins)

I do find it interesting that you also made this statement, "...will rather like to watch things float, things go through things, etc." Funny, because effects like these CAN and ARE accomplished with just playing cards, or coins. And when a spectator sees something that seems IMPOSSIBLE (like Card Warp or Hyper-Bent-a-Lation), they are JUST as mesmerized as they would be seeing a spoon bending routine. Because you are doing the impossible with objects that some people use all the time. But when you constantly introduce more and more props into the equation, that can lead to problems.

Yes, I have had spectators in the past see me introduce a deck of cards, and ask me, "Oh, is this going to be another one of those pick a card tricks?" And well, after I have pulled half of the deck out of my mouth and the other half out of someone's behind with flames shooting out, that usually let's them know that they AREN'T going to be seeing the same type of "pick a card" magic tricks. I only have one of those in my show. But if you start every card effect with "Pick a card", then you need to go back and read a lot before you book anymore shows. And no, this wasn't directed at you...this was a general statement.

Mike

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results