Question on a serious matter...

Sep 4, 2009
Hi im 14 years old and a freashman in high school. Last night someone in my grade passed away. She wasn't really my friend, but i knew her. A lot of poeple were upset, and i wanted to cheer them up by showing some magic. I wasn't sure if that was the right move, or how i should approach them. So if anyone has been in this situation, or has any ideas of what i should do, i'd appreciate it :)

RIP brittany......

May 3, 2008
Yes...I too wouldn't recommend you perform magic for them. I mean there's a reason people don't perform magic at funerals. A death is serious and people will feel the need to just mourn their death. I'm sorry for your loss though and I think it's nice you're trying to do something to cheer people up but I wouldn't recommend you perform any magic.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
I am with everyone else it is a little disrespectful.

If you want to cheer people just talk to them and remember the good times.

However you said you did not know her that well so I would not use this approach with her close friends.

Anyway RIP

Hi im 14 years old and a freashman in high school. Last night someone in my grade passed away. She wasn't really my friend, but i knew her. A lot of poeple were upset, and i wanted to cheer them up by showing some magic. I wasn't sure if that was the right move, or how i should approach them. So if anyone has been in this situation, or has any ideas of what i should do, i'd appreciate it :)

RIP brittany......

oooooo dont bad idea. to soon. you are not thre show right now... nor does it sound like your close to the family.

if you want to do something send flowers or a card. or make a donation to a charity in her name.

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
oooooo dont bad idea. to soon. you are not thre show right now... nor does it sound like your close to the family.

if you want to do something send flowers or a card. or make a donation to a charity in her name.

What happened there Draven?

Did the cat steal your Shift keys? And a few of your fingers?

G

Jun 4, 2008
www.wtfnolimits.com
I totally feel for you bro and their loss. I really respect the fact you want to be in a place to lighten the situation. Look at magic as not something to HELP cheer them up but as a way to give a lesson in life and love.

Story time...

I was in NY filming one of my DVDs with Kozmo magic and in the hotel I was staying at they had a wake with dinner and drinks and what not. I had no idea what they were there for and I was really bored at the time so I thought I would strike up a conversation with one of the people there. No intention on doing any magic jist wanted to talk to another human being. After about 5 minutes I found out the woman I was talking to buried her father that day and they were all together for the wake. I knew a card trick or some moving objects were not the right thing for what they were experiencing, but a torn and restored was jist what was needed. So I told her that I was deeply sorry for her loss and took the tissue she was using to wipe her tears and ripped it while talking about the fragile state of any human,her memories she had of her father how it was important to not let them get TORN from her life, that every breath and waking moment she shared should be cherished and thought about , that at the time those memories seemed trivial and useless much like the torn tissue she had balled up in her hand.
But now those memories are key to bringing her father to her anytime she wants,
because that is what makes her whole ( I had her open up her hand and open the fully restored napkin) as a person and as a human being.

I hugged her and hugged many family members afterwards.
His son came up to me and said "dad loved magic ,the fact you are here shows us he is here..thank you so much" It was so deeply moving I started crying as well.

I learned a very important lesson that day, magic is the strongest way to tell the truth about life, love and death. And instead of LOOKING to DO a trick for someone I saw that if you look closely you can find a way to present this art in every form of life..are you looking closley?

Thats why a good magician will show you a trick to fool you.
A GREAT magician will present life as it unfolds in a way that truly touches a beings soul.
For your situation do not TRY and DO anything Jist offer yourself to let life teach you a lesson and maybe jist maybe life will ask for a hand.

But please tread carefully as death is the strongest fear of any human and there has to be a time for hard, soul wrenching grieving for the family. They had buried her dad that day so the family had been in that state for a while..i was jist glad i could help life out a little and I knew the signs to look for.
be a friend
be a shoulder
be ready if your needed, but don't do anything if its not your time.

How will you know? Life will show you.

JM

Jul 25, 2009

RIP brittany......

i can kinda relate to you. im 14 (yes freshmen) and last year someone passed away at my highschool. i didnt know him at all but he was on the football team and i was on the middle school team then.

RIP...Derren

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 15, 2009
New Jersey
Wow! I'm also 14 and a Freshman in high school, and earlier this week (on Monday) a Sophomore from a different high school passed away! I go to a school where there are people from different counties, so some of the people there were really good friends with him (apparently he was friends with pretty much everybody that lived where he lived). The day after that happened to be the day I decided to start showing magic to the kids at my school, and one of the people who knew him and was really good friends with him was watching me and he was amused and still amazed! Obviously what happened with me was different. I definitely wouldn't be performing at the school the kid went to because I heard everybody there was a complete mess and can't get over it. But it probably wasn't such a smart idea for you to be doing magic when they're all getting over the death of a friend.

Jul 14, 2008
Whoa...what a coincidence, an acquaintance of mine died in a car accident at my high school in the summer of 2009. He was only 14 years old and I was quite shocked. Even though, I don't know him that well, I spoke to him a couple of times. He's fun to be around as I can tell.

I agreed with everyone else. People need time to grieve for their loss. However, I am glad that you are taking this consideration not to perform especially at this time of need.

RIP brittany......
hey jack, thats a big no-no man...u must realize you are a magician by trade....a human being always.....

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results