Recommended Vid Cameras?

Oct 22, 2008
Hey guys, so I've lately filmed some stuff with friends (magic ofcourse) lol and I am getting very innoyed always using my stupid little digital camera. I would like an hd camera but one that doesn't cost me toooo much. My limit would be like at the most maybe.. 700 dollars? Anyone have a great hd camera they reccomend that is worth purchasing for magic vids, etc?

-Jake

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
Hey guys, so I've lately filmed some stuff with friends (magic ofcourse) lol and I am getting very innoyed always using my stupid little digital camera. I would like an hd camera but one that doesn't cost me toooo much. My limit would be like at the most maybe.. 700 dollars? Anyone have a great hd camera they reccomend that is worth purchasing for magic vids, etc?

-Jake

For performance and practice vids, especially for the pricepoint, it'd be difficult to impossible to beat a simple Flip Mino HD (what we use to record the Artist Diary vids) or a Kodak Zi6. Both are about $200 and record widescreen HD (720). The quality is very crisp, especially for the size - it's smaller than my phone.

:: :: Flip Mino HD

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
I Have been looking for cameras too, the one that caught my eye its a sony hdr-sr100x, it has some nice utilities and it is cheap, it has some pretty good decent costumer reviews.

A simple rpinceiple my parents and I shop by is this: You will usually get what you pay for. Meaning that if you go with the 150$ dollar camera, well that is probably not going to last long. We try to get the best possible within our price range.

Definitely go for either the Canon HV20, HV30, or HV40. These cameras are amazing for their price. They're small but they can compete with some of the prosumer camera quality out there. I use the HV20 for all of my films (magic or not). Here's an idea of the quality it can output (trailer for a film I directed). -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URjU107D_yw

You may also want to go with its hard drive counterpart check out the Canon HG20. A good chunk of the film Crank 2 was shot with these cameras. :)

If you're looking for great quality for a great price I'd go with the Canon HV or HG series any day over the Flip.

Hope I helped!

Mitch

Let me just say, that I love my flip camera. The best thing is that in two seconds, literaly, I can have it on and start shooting. The built in mic is great, and as you can hear in the video of DG singing in the diary video, it is almost as if it has selective hearing. They are wonderful.

I would recommend Sony above all. I work for geek squad for a while as a camera tech and Sony had very few problems, easy to use, and lasts for quite a long time. I've had my sony for 7 or 8 years now and I've done NOTHING to keep it up. Just used it for BMX videos. If you dont get HD, you can save a lot of money.

Oct 22, 2008
I would recommend Sony above all. I work for geek squad for a while as a camera tech and Sony had very few problems, easy to use, and lasts for quite a long time. I've had my sony for 7 or 8 years now and I've done NOTHING to keep it up. Just used it for BMX videos. If you dont get HD, you can save a lot of money.

yahh but how different is the quality from not hd to hd. Also is the webbie any good? Its in HD and looks fairly cheap!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results