Reverse Engineering... Another Crazy Thought

So, a talented musician creates a song and puts it on a record. A poor not-so-talented musician hears the song from a record he bought and figures that the song is easy to play and it still sounds awesome. Is it okay that the not-so-talented musician can play the song, make money with it, or even call it his own song just because he knows how to play the song?

Don't steal other peoples material.

Whoa whoa whoa. This is called a "cover". I don't think many musicians would call it their OWN. Almost every band starts out with covering a favourite song of theirs...

Mitch

Whoa whoa whoa. This is called a "cover". I don't think many musicians would call it their OWN. Almost every band starts out with covering a favourite song of theirs...

Mitch

True, but most of the time the songs are well known and by playing them you are kind of paying homage. When someone covers a song, noone gives them credit for making it. So the cost of playing it is covered by the praise you are giving to the band who made it.

But magic is not the same. I doubt when you perform a trick someone thinks of the creator, because unless they are a magician, they do not know who the creator is. For all the laymen know, you made that trick up. Paying for the trick, covers the credit the artist does not get.

Something to think about. Certainly not a airtight point to make. I think that if you are going to perform, you owe the creator. Also people talk about misleading video advertisements for tricks. I will agree, because I myself was the victim of a certain coin vanish years ago when I was first getting into magic. It looked so cool online, but was hardly the "revolution"it said it was.;) However, I think that the majority of times, the editing is to make up for the misdirection that can not be put in the video and made to represent how the trick "will" look.

Just my thoughts, not claiming they should be carved into gold tablets.

True, but most of the time the songs are well known and by playing them you are kind of paying homage. When someone covers a song, noone gives them credit for making it. So the cost of playing it is covered by the praise you are giving to the band who made it.

But magic is not the same. I doubt when you perform a trick someone thinks of the creator, because unless they are a magician, they do not know who the creator is. For all the laymen know, you made that trick up. Paying for the trick, covers the credit the artist does not get.

Something to think about. Certainly not a airtight point to make. I think that if you are going to perform, you owe the creator. Also people talk about misleading video advertisements for tricks. I will agree, because I myself was the victim of a certain coin vanish years ago when I was first getting into magic. It looked so cool online, but was hardly the "revolution"it said it was.;) However, I think that the majority of times, the editing is to make up for the misdirection that can not be put in the video and made to represent how the trick "will" look.

Just my thoughts, not claiming they should be carved into gold tablets.
I understand they're not the same. I was just saying that his analysis of the situation was completely wrong.

Mitch

Figuring it out isn't a problem, performing it is. I'm not going to say it's unethical or anything but you won't be performing at the level you could be. The artist who has worked a LONG time on their effect will give you so much insight into the effect that you can't get without buying the effect. Without that, and the tips they give you, your performance will suffer. So if you figure out an effect, you like it, and you want to perform it. BUY THE EFFECT. You owe it to yourself, the artist, and ultimatly your audience. :D

I agree. In books and on DVD's there are tons of extra hints that will enhance your performance. Even just watching the performance of the creator againmay let you see how to present a trick. Also, some DVD's have interviews or extra scenes where the magician may talk about performance theory. Nice point, man.

Dylan

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results