Saturday Night Contest - Finish This Flourish

Jun 10, 2010
Alright guys, this is the 2nd entry for tonight. Me and SaborFang17's flourishes are featured in this video since he cannot film it himself.

The first flourish is mine, and the second one is SaborFang17's.

Tricycle (mine) was really hard to get down smooth since I don't so much in that style, so even though it's a little choppy I think you'll like the idea. Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhNVMzJ8n6Q

-Casey

Yep, the first flourish is Casey's tricycle. Second one is my Angel's Bite, performed by Casey. Only three entries so far... good luck everybody else!

Nov 8, 2009
Im not gonna lie, im not a terribly good flourisher......
but i had a cool idea, and gave it a shot... my entry is loading at the moment,
Called Syshot

Andrei

Elite Member
Sep 2, 2007
Las Vegas
www.youtube.com
A little advice for those who have not submitted or those who may want to resubmit, please do not turn this move into a sybil motion, the point of this contest is to jog your creativity so you can come up with an original move.

Oct 19, 2007
A little advice for those who have not submitted or those who may want to resubmit, please do not turn this move into a sybil motion, the point of this contest is to jog your creativity so you can come up with an original move.

Andrei, i'm jut wondering but is this contest based more on "creativity" rather than just "smoothness"? Of course I know we should practice the move but i'm just curious how this contest is rated by.

Jul 10, 2010
McAllen, TX
www.wix.com
A magic-off, you seek? Your wish is our command! Next week. We try to achieve a reasonable balance between cardistry and magic based SNC's, as this community is diverse and we want to make everyone happy. We have done several magic challenges in the past, so don't worry - we will do many more.

The problem I had was no magic for weeks! It's cool to have a balance but mix it up. Don't put magic in a drought to do some flourishing, do a flourish one, then magic, and a random one. Unless the fan base has been webcam 13 year olds for the past couple of weeks, I just don't get it. I jokingly said "Watch the SNC is going to be a flourishing one", and low and behold.... I mean how much flourishing can you really do? Cut here fan there. I am thankful you are going to do a magic one.

Andrei

Elite Member
Sep 2, 2007
Las Vegas
www.youtube.com
This contest was a surprise on many levels, I did not think we were going to get as many submissions as we did considering the starting move is just strange! The one thing I surely did not expect to happen was people turning this into a sybil fight, but it happened! I suppose that is creativity in one form!

Let me preface with saying that I have nothing against sybil cuts; however, they are so overused, it makes me cry every time I see a sybil variation. The Sybil Cut is one of those moves that is fairly easy to learn and makes one look incredibly skillful so therefore I can see the appeal! However, the point of these SNC contests is not for people to create the fastest, coolest, smoothest, craziest sybil cut. If that were the basis on which we judge, the same 2 people would always win - that is no fun. It would be ridiculous for me to expect anyone to create a flourish and be smooth in less than 3 hours! It takes a lot of guts to show a diamond in the rough but that is the ultimate goal - the polishing can come later. Find your diamond and take the road less traveled.

Next time we hold a Cardistry contest, please keep all of this in mind. We want to see creativity, something different, and something unique. With that said, tonight's winner had a very rough submission that needs a lot of work on the technical aspect but one that also showed creativity and a unique take on the starting flourish. Congrats to MagicPowder: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yCM3yENDqE

Please understand it is not necessarily skill and speed we are looking for - it is creativity. Anyone can win these Cardistry contests! Please congratulate the winner - he did an awesome job!

C

Cardmaster211

I knew I wouldn't win I never do, congratz to the winner though!

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Congrats to the winner! Just a thought, in the description it says the singular form of flourish, not the plural. So I didn't know we could have done multiple flourishes using the starting grips. Oh well.

Can you critique mine though? I just want to know if I had a good idea going on.

Until next time,

Casey

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results