Sep 14, 2017
So lately I've been really motivated to go out and perform street magic and busk but i dont want to just perform card tricks as i feel like that is the typical magician, i want to perform magic with everyday objects, but I am kinda broke and haven't performed in front of a crowd in a while so i am just trying to get your opinion on wether I should still go out and perform card tricks... i know a few tricks that have borrowed items such as coin in bottle a card to crisps... i would say im an intermediate magician.

Aug 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
It really comes down to what you're interested in and what you're comfortable with. It would also depend on what card tricks you know (if any at the moment).

Card magic can be an entirely different beast of its own. Good handling will take some time, patience and practice. That being said, as a card man myself, I can tell you that card magic can be something that will really wow a spectator. It can also be combined with various other styles of magic. If you choose to do card magic and you're choosing to perform just a few, I'd make sure the few you choose are truly mind blowing. This will depend greatly on your presentation of them more than the specific tricks themselves.

I think adding card magic to your routine couldn't hurt you. I kind of have the rule for myself that it's better for me to know a lot of different types of magic/tricks so that I'm not stuck performing the same material over and over for someone who may have seen me perform something just moments before.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
@KingLouis - Going out and performing is a great idea regardless of what you perform. The more you perform, the better you become at performing.

What you perform is very much personal to your style. You could easily do close-up, stand up magic (a better description of Street Magic) or parlor table magic (Busking) using all cards and be entertaining. The way to distinguish yourself from a "typical magician" is through your character and presentation. Tricks are not entertaining, they way the magician does the tricks is entertaining.

If you want to expand the effects that you know, get Mark Wilson's Complete Course and Bobo's Modern Coin Magic. Both books together will cost around $25. Mark Wilson's book has cards, coins, bills, rope, cups & balls, mental magic and a lot more. You could easily develop a whole show from just that book. Bobo's book has nearly every coin routine and sleight.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
If your intention is busking, I recommend learning some other stuff as well.

Card tricks are tricky if you're trying to do a busking show. If they are longer and involved (which is generally more interesting and powerful) then anyone who comes up to your area halfway through has no idea what's going on, and if they are short and punchy so everyone can understand they tend to be pretty meaningless.

Can you hold a crowd with the card tricks you know, when that crowd has no incentive at all to stay to the end of the trick? If so - you're good to go. Get out and perform. If not - either learn new card tricks that will hold the crowd, or learn some other material as well.

Sep 14, 2017
If your intention is busking, I recommend learning some other stuff as well.

Card tricks are tricky if you're trying to do a busking show. If they are longer and involved (which is generally more interesting and powerful) then anyone who comes up to your area halfway through has no idea what's going on, and if they are short and punchy so everyone can understand they tend to be pretty meaningless.

Can you hold a crowd with the card tricks you know, when that crowd has no incentive at all to stay to the end of the trick? If so - you're good to go. Get out and perform. If not - either learn new card tricks that will hold the crowd, or learn some other material as well.
Yeh thanks, im just really trying to branch out into other tricks, i still would perform card tricks but i would like to do card tricks and then do some tricks with borrowed items would be good for walk around and especially busking

Jul 26, 2016
Do you know how to do a bill switch? If not I recommend learning it. You can always do an entertaining routine by borrowing a large denomination bill, like a 10 or 20, changing it into a dollar, and then back again. The only apparatus required is a TT, and that's hella cheap if you don't already own one. Rope tricks are good, as well, since they pack small, but are visible to a crowd. As for cards, it's hard to go wrong with a cards across routine, which plays big, and involves at least two spectators.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results