The first step - Let's Rebuild

Jul 13, 2009
The argument "Only worry about yourself" doesn't apply to those passionate about flourishing.

It applies everywhere, if you step away from the community and worry about yourself, develop new techniques and moves, then possibly if you feel like sharing your hard work post about it on the forum. You can't successfully advance cardistry all at once, only step by step. There are always those who will get left behind and that is okay; This isn't school. They will catch up eventually, or create the next big thing.

But I like your idea though Creeper I am looking forward to watching your success.

Sep 1, 2007
What Flourishers have to address is what they want flourishing to be?
Saying lets improve our art doesnt say or mean anything.
What does thou mean by that?
If they can answer themselves that,then the gears start turning.

The first step is getting people to stop being so damn cynical and annoying. Lots of people don't like me right now for posting this. Seriously, some of the people I thought were cool aren't talking to me. Because this is a "noob" forum, and no one here gets it. Everyone just sits on there ass and does nothing, and I'm tired of it. Once we can get rid of all the pricks and cynical people, and guide the new people in the right direction, we can begin to advance stuff. Until that happens, not much can be done.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
The first step is getting people to stop being so damn cynical and annoying. Lots of people don't like me right now for posting this. Seriously, some of the people I thought were cool aren't talking to me. Because this is a "noob" forum, and no one here gets it. Everyone just sits on there ass and does nothing, and I'm tired of it. Once we can get rid of all the pricks and cynical people, and guide the new people in the right direction, we can begin to advance stuff. Until that happens, not much can be done.

Ok,for that to happen,you just gotta leave those people in the dark.
Post or talk about what you want to do in your movement,your revolution,and just nevermind the nay sayers. Dont even adress them.
You cant get rid of them,but you can exclude them.
And then,get people to ask themselves "Ok,what the heck does advance mean in our situation?" Whats the next step?
Do we make flourishing more public,more accesible to the laymen and make it into an actual performance art and not some kids making flourishing vids constantly? What do we mean by "advance"?
Somewhere along these lines..

Sep 1, 2007
Thats exactly what I mean my advancing the art. Andrei talked about this recently...finding ways to make flourishing not only more well known, but to adapt it and shape into something you can walk up to a person and do. You can do that now, but its difficult to just go and say "Look what I can do"

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Very good,very good.
Thats what I like to see more.
Ive been thinking of doing a street show with two flourishers juggling cards back and forth between each other.Real theatrical and exciting.

Andrei

Elite Member
Sep 2, 2007
Las Vegas
www.youtube.com
It's great to see Creeper and other members initiate a movement to excite and energize the forums and get people moving.

The communities are fairly stagnant across the board and I feel that a way to revive them is to make videos, experiment with challenges, participate in battles, etc. In the very near future, we will most likely hold tournaments for Cardistry judged by some of the most respected names in the industry - Daniel Madison, Dan and Dave, Bone Ho, etc. This will greatly help people participate and become proactive.

One of the main issues that we face is the confusion of what and who to listen to. Many newcomers develop the same bitter and cynical attitude because they are led by as Creeper mentioned, cynical and bitter individuals (most of whom have thousands of posts thus creating an illusion of knowledge and experience).

Leaders set examples for others but they shouldn't be alone in this conquest. The main source of attraction will be dictated by current events. If everyone is busy discussing and debating, others will develop that same habit. It's like pushing a snowball downhill, it's just going to get bigger as it rolls. Therefore, it's in our best interests to push it in the right direction.

I sincerely want to thank Creeper and everyone who is actively participating in the communities with a positive attitude and especially those who submit videos in the attempt to progress our art-form. This is only the beginning and it starts with you. Let's make the best of it.

-Andrei Jikh

I'm loving the new 'movement" everyone! im definitely in. We need to have a way to keep track of all the newest flourishing stuff ( like performance vids and new creative ideas). So please dont hesitate to share stuff!!!

Also, our new "movement" needs a name:D

Jun 29, 2008
Well in agreeing with what you mean but also questioning it.
The part of "He can be the greatest magician in the world,but if he doesnt perform..." that last bit contradicts the first.
How can anyone be the greatest magician and not perform? Thats what a magician does.Perform.
Technical skill at card play does not grant one that title.And there are other genres of magic that dont rely heavily on technicality but rather on performance and misdirection.Which is way harder than any sleight.

Which is what I think is the point of the post........... If you don't perform you'll never be the best.

Sep 1, 2007
This isn't really about videos. Videos, while the best way to share stuff, are in my opinion a bit too...I don't know how to word this...well counter-active. Not all of course, there are some videos out there that have purpose, not just showcasing cool moves.

The reason I say this is when some people put out a video, they are doing it to impress other flourishers, and up their social status within the "community" Again, this isn't the case with all videos, but I feel like people think about themselves too much with flourishing. I don't want you to take this the wrong way, I love watching good videos, I love seeing good moves, but I don't love what the people are trying to accomplish with them. If I had a choice to either see the greatest flourisher ever make a video, or to never see him but know he performs live on a regular basis, I would choose the latter. When people say its lame to sit in your room all day and dick around with cards, how can you dissagree with them? I want this art to take a different direction then sitting in front of your webcam all day and showing other card people card stuff. I'm guilty of this, I still do it. I spend more time showing other card people stuff then showing regular people. Also...if thats what you wanna do...go right ahead. If you don;t want to perform, you don't have too. I'm not trying to force this on anyone. For those who want to take this thing to the next level...your in control.

This isn't a movement. This is what has to be done.

And please someone sticky this thing...

Sounds like all the things RDChopper has been saying except this applies to flourishes.:) I'm still a little confused about what you guys want to do. At first people thought that you wanted to improve the community so they were giving ideas to improve the community by making videos, tutorials, contests, etc. Now your saying that this has nothing to do with the community but more of a personal thing that every flourisher should do. So is this thread a message to people telling them to "GO OUT AND PERFORM", or to contribute more to the community?

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Sounds like all the things RDChopper has been saying except this applies to flourishes.:) I'm still a little confused about what you guys want to do. At first people thought that you wanted to improve the community so they were giving ideas to improve the community by making videos, tutorials, contests, etc. Now your saying that this has nothing to do with the community but more of a personal thing that every flourisher should do. So is this thread a message to people telling them to "GO OUT AND PERFORM", or to contribute more to the community?

Stop using my quotes against me!!

Besides that, nice point, I kinda see now a contradiction here.

I know this is KINDA off topic, but today I performed some flourishes in school, and te people said they really liked them. I didnt just do basic stuff like springs, i was doing 2 hand cuts and stuff. The things people really like wee the werm, mockingbird, squeeze and hotshot cut. And some random kid took a picture of me doing a Leno cut :D

Lol. so if anyone was skeptical, and I must admit I was. i thought that people would be like ahh who cares show me some magic, but flourishing live does actually entertain!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results