Tired of Magicians Taking No Action

Hahahahaha, ok, I'm sorry wow! Did you just say to NOT listen to the teachings of Dai Vernon? Are you insane?!?

No, to the first, Yes to the second.

I'm not saying disregard him. I'm just using your reference to Vernon as an example of magicians looking too much to the past. Repeatedly. Its like at this point we've already absorbed the lessons and have heard them so many times, its just a given. We can walk away without mentioning it and still know it.

We can divirt our minds from the past, marveling at our Charles Darwin, Galileo, Pythagorous, what have you, but we can look forward at what we can bring our art through our own achievements.

Not challenging your magic, Gregory.

-Daniel Taylor

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
WOW! After we just got done talking via PM... You say this!?!?!

1.) You Presented NO ideas what so ever to fix the problem at all and you whined about it.

2.) Telling people stop whining and do something when you are whining about it and have not done ANYTHING at all to fix the problem.

My point exactly.

If you have an idea Magi, please enlighten us. If not, you are being as great of a hypocrite as has ever been on these forums.

For starters, if you actually have some valuable input, why is magic dying in your opinion? Maybe by answering a question like this you might actually start to contribute to your own cause.

WOW! After we just got done talking via PM... You say this!?!?!

1.) You Presented NO ideas what so ever to fix the problem at all and you whined about it.

2.) Telling people stop whining and do something when you are whining about it and have not done ANYTHING at all to fix the problem.

It may seem like I'm a whining but I'm am actually trying to help you all by telling you guys to just do something about it other than talking. I am NOT giving ideas to try to help advance magic, I'm saying you all keep on talking about it but nothing is being actually done. So in that matter either take action or just don't talk about it. Simple. I'm not trying to argue but I think you all are missing the point here.

My point exactly.

If you have an idea Magi, please enlighten us. If not, you are being as great of a hypocrite as has ever been on these forums.

For starters, if you actually have some valuable input, why is magic dying in your opinion? Maybe by answering a question like this you might actually start to contribute to your own cause.

I never said magic was dying I said I KEEP ON READING ABOUT HOW MAGIC IS DYING ON FORUMS.

Who gives a f*ck?
Just perform how you want, perform what you want. And dont listen to people cr*p on about magic is dying. Last I check magic was not living. Do what you want, dont be someone that other magicians say is a real magician. As long as you are good and entertain the audience, who cares.
Grow up, get off the computer. Stop worrying about how magic is going, blaa blaa bla. Do your own thing.
Learn It, Live It, Love It.

J.

Sep 20, 2008
Do you hear yourself when you speak!? You win THE HIPPOCRATIC AWARD OF THE CENTURY!

Dont think that's very hard to understand.

He merely states: I keep seeing "Magic is dying" Topics (or similar threads.)

That's like me saying "I keep seeing rubber ducks on the road." - Doesnt mean i want to stab rubber ducks, or collect them. I just keep seeing them.

Dont understand why everyone is so hostile in these forums.

b+w

Dec 10, 2008
York, United Kingdom
This is why I hardly ever use the Theory11 forums. Somebody made a point, and instead of discussing how we can advance magic and then going out and doing it, which was the point of this whole thread, the majority of people here got into an argument over Criss Angel, an argument over what Dai Vernon has to say and labelling the person who started this thread a hypocrate.

This is why the Theory11 forums are one of the most cluttered and frankly worst atmospheres to be in in the online magic community.

Ok, rant over, personally I think that in order to advance magic we all need to come together and think which is what I think the original point of this thread was. If magicians work as a team, rather than having llittle pockets of magicians who are against another type of magician, then we are going nowhere. That is what Theory11 was actually all about, about bringing people together and discussing how we can go about this, and then go out and do it.
This thread is a prime example of how we aren't working together, and instead calling people hyprocrates for making a very valid point.
Hence why there is so much negativity on this forum.

Everyone here needs to grow up and learn not to be selfish about how we approach the advancement of magic. We all do magic for more or less the same reason, so why can't we work together?

-Ben

Magic is more popular than ever and if you are talking about exposure I don't feel thats to big of a concern.

I think of it this way:

Most of the exposure you see is for tricks that everyone already knows anyway- Erdnase Change, Classic Pass, Triumph. Also, people say "Oh our secrets will be revealed to laymen" No that's not true because even if they did (which I doubt most people do) look up tutorials on Youtube, they will not find the method to all of our tricks, let alone any of our best tricks. And besides, they are learning from half-assed videos of 8 year olds in pajamas.

I also feel that magic is really moving foward. Look back in like the 80's/90's or even earlier. Then there were very few magicians and they were all stereotyped as wearing tuxedos and pulling rabbits out of hats. Not many people were interested in that stuff. But today, you can walk up to anyone on the street and say hey wanna see a magic trick, and they will most often times except. That is thanks to people like Blaine and Angel.

And one last thing about how magic is moving foward- Look at the internet. There are multiple magic communities and there are countless videeos of magic everywhere on the net.

Thats my 2 cents.

-Dan

May 3, 2008
Eh... it's a new thing every other week.

ZOMG CELEBRACADABRA ON MTV IS GONNA RUIN MY MAGICZ

BLACK TIGERS AND GUARDIANS AVAILABLE IN STORES?! NOOOOO!

EXPOSURE ON TEH_YOUTUBEZ

Everyone can cry me a river. ;)

-Doug

Haha. You typed that exactly like master chief talks in arby and the chief. I doubt anyone know what that is.

Anyway, I completely agree. The same thing goes with the masked magician. There is absolutely no way that he's revealed more than 5 percent of the average magicians tricks

Sep 1, 2007
What's wrong there is the part where you mentioned the 80 year old goth punk with 20 diamond rings. He actually made it annoying by making every layman ask "FLY! LEVITATE FOR ME!"

It says something that as irritable as I am, that doesn't bother me in the least.

I usually respond with a joke then after everyone has had their laugh. I say, "In all seriousness, Criss has his own unique ways of doing things like that, which he doesn't share with other magicians. And as a professional, I can respect that."

Amazing how well that works. Supreme logic from the supreme being!

And Dai Vernon is a dead man, sir. I think we need to stop focusing on the lessons of the past and retelling them to each other over and over. You've learned so much now MOVE ON and be your own artist.

I don't think the problem is remembering the lessons of the past, it's that we forget the context.

For example, we're actors playing the part of a conjurer. How many of you took an acting class?

Dont understand why everyone is so hostile in these forums.

Because arguing with me is pointless but they still need something to complain about.

Everyone here needs to grow up and learn not to be selfish about how we approach the advancement of magic. We all do magic for more or less the same reason, so why can't we work together?

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with you. But it's like herding cats.

This is why I hardly ever use the Theory11 forums. Somebody made a point, and instead of discussing how we can advance magic and then going out and doing it, which was the point of this whole thread, the majority of people here got into an argument over Criss Angel, an argument over what Dai Vernon has to say and labelling the person who started this thread a hypocrate.

This is why the Theory11 forums are one of the most cluttered and frankly worst atmospheres to be in in the online magic community.

Ok, rant over, personally I think that in order to advance magic we all need to come together and think which is what I think the original point of this thread was. If magicians work as a team, rather than having llittle pockets of magicians who are against another type of magician, then we are going nowhere. That is what Theory11 was actually all about, about bringing people together and discussing how we can go about this, and then go out and do it.
This thread is a prime example of how we aren't working together, and instead calling people hyprocrates for making a very valid point.
Hence why there is so much negativity on this forum.

-Ben

Thanks at least some one understands where I am coming from.
In order to advance we must listen to each other instead of argue. Thats why in the thread I said " I already know there are going to be some slick tongued people" and there were.

Arguing will only hold us back we need to unite as one, but every time one of us give an opinion some one else attacks us with unnecessary remarks.

The forums use to be a good place to learn and voice your opinion, but now you say something and people will just attack you, and this drives people away.

I agree everyone needs to grow up and start working togehter, becasue we can learn/help each other if we just listen.

-T.J.

Thanks at least some one understands where I am coming from.
In order to advance we must listen to each other instead of argue. Thats why in the thread I said " I already know there are going to be some slick tongued people" and there were.

Arguing will only hold us back we need to unite as one, but every time one of us give an opinion some one else attacks us with unnecessary remarks.

The forums use to be a good place to learn and voice your opinion, but now you say something and people will just attack you, and this drives people away.

I agree everyone needs to grow up and start working togehter, becasue we can learn/help each other if we just listen.

-T.J.

I agree with you guys as well, but I feel magic is not dying. I think the way we need to help magic is to make it move foward even more than it already is:)

And that can be accomplished by coming togeather or as an individual, it just is based on how much you care. If you want to make a difference, go do it and leave all these internet magicians who think they know everything behind. And no I'm not talking about SteerPike, he knows what he's talking about.

Love your Sig. btw BlackMagi

-Dan

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results