Tllusion Tribute Video

Sep 1, 2007
Lol this is not him. This is another magician on youtube. He also made one of me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esRPFxYZHQQ&feature=channel_page

Well you need to tell him to learn how to make a video that doesn't suck. It was more of the same generic Criss Angel knock-offs, blatantly obvious camera edit vanishes, over-use of chroma-key, visual effects that only further degraded the picture quality and obscured the on-camera action... The worst offense was that purely masturbatory disclaimer that took up the entire first half of the video. It over-promised and under-delivered.

I can guarantee you that I know far more about magic, cinematography, and editing than this kid. In the videos he has shown us, he has committed every cardinal sin of good editing that I can think of.

Hey man, can you give me a few tips on video editing? I just started.

The first tip you need is don't edit like that Stoveice tool. Good editing is subtle and clever, not overblown, hackneyed, and violently wanking all over the chroma-key and filter tools.

Here's a few simple rules:

Always cut on movement.
Make sure said motion matches between the two clips.
Your basic shots are extreme wide shot (EWS), wide shot (WS), medium shot (MS), close-up (CU), and extreme close-up (ECU).
When cutting, make sure the shots are not more than two size categories apart (for example, don't cut from an extreme wide shot to an extreme close-up).
Only use dissolves as transitions when suggesting the passage of time (some exceptions exist).
When dramatically changing scenery, let a second of sound from the second roll at the end of the first clip before visually cutting to the second clip.
Most of the visual effects on your editing software are useless. Unless you're doing a music video for Peter Gabriel while he's on a bender, you won't find any good use for them.
Color correction is the one visual effect you will need. There's a learning curve at first, but in general try to avoid screwing with brightness and contrast as that will create more grain in the clip. Use that as a last resort, otherwise try to adjust the gamma and color saturation levels, and after that adjust the highlights, mids, and shadows if need be.

Aug 31, 2007
The first tip you need is don't edit like that Stoveice tool. Good editing is subtle and clever, not overblown, hackneyed, and violently wanking all over the chroma-key and filter tools.

Here's a few simple rules:

Always cut on movement.
Make sure said motion matches between the two clips.
Your basic shots are extreme wide shot (EWS), wide shot (WS), medium shot (MS), close-up (CU), and extreme close-up (ECU).
When cutting, make sure the shots are not more than two size categories apart (for example, don't cut from an extreme wide shot to an extreme close-up).
Only use dissolves as transitions when suggesting the passage of time (some exceptions exist).
When dramatically changing scenery, let a second of sound from the second roll at the end of the first clip before visually cutting to the second clip.
Most of the visual effects on your editing software are useless. Unless you're doing a music video for Peter Gabriel while he's on a bender, you won't find any good use for them.
Color correction is the one visual effect you will need. There's a learning curve at first, but in general try to avoid screwing with brightness and contrast as that will create more grain in the clip. Use that as a last resort, otherwise try to adjust the gamma and color saturation levels, and after that adjust the highlights, mids, and shadows if need be.

Thanks a lot Steerpike. Appreciate it. Hope you don't mind if I come to you with more questions later on.

Sep 1, 2007
Thanks a lot Steerpike. Appreciate it. Hope you don't mind if I come to you with more questions later on.

No problem. Editing really isn't as complicated as a lot of people make it out to be, so fire away with any questions you have.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results