What is Theory11?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 17, 2007
Canada
Theory11 don’t not take this as bickering or bad attitude because I mean this with the highest degree of respect....

Before I go off in to never never land, let me give everyone the back story..... Last week the Pressure teaser came out and in the teaser you could see the effect for a brief second. A few minutes after watching the teaser, I was able to do the effect (or what I believed to be the effect at the time because it was extremely easy to figure out). There was one caveat, the method that I was using, although looked cool didn’t fit the description that theory11 put out. So I scrapped it and waited for Pressure to be released.

Finally it was Friday night and the effect we have been waiting months for is out and about. I downloaded the video watched it and I was furious because it was the same exact trick I was playing with a week before Pressure was released. So very flustered that I had just wasted $20 of my hard earned money, I told 1 or 2 people on aim and tokbox about what happened. Then all of a sudden I was flooded with im’s asking why I hate Pressure and theory11. And I told everyone that im’d me instead of wasting my time telling each individual person I would make a thread about it, and so I have...

Why am I so pissed you ask? Simple, false advertising.

Quoted from theory11: A borrowed cell phone is held in one hand - and a balloon is inflated. The cell phone visually penetrates inside of the balloon. It is shown, then given back to the spectator with the cell phone still inside.
The result is a twisted hybrid of visual craziness: the borrowed cell phone is INSIDE of the balloon. The spectator removes it herself. There are no crazy gimmicks. Any cell phone. Any balloon. Nothing but magic.

On top of that theory11 also said that the spectator could rip the cellphone out themselves as stated by Danny Garcia in the trailer at 1:12. http://www.theory11.com/tricks/pressure.php

Of course you can’t just put the phone in the balloon and hand it to the spectator to rip out as theory11 clearly stated. You must rip the balloon first and THEN the spectator can take their phone out. A $20 difference if you ask me.

There are a couple of other false advertising tidbits laced in the trailer also. For example, when the cellphone penetrates the red balloon, the video shows the cellphone inside the balloon. Then immediately handed out to the spectators. You don’t get to see dan ripping it first which lessons the impact of the effect. Now don’t get me wrong, the effect is awesome and I love it. It is just just falsely advertised.

Control is another good example of false advertising http://www.theory11.com/tricks/control.php Because the effect isn’t shown completely, the camera cuts off where theory11 doesn’t want you to see, yet all the spectators see it in performance. So after getting Control, I was disappointed with the effect. Even more, I was disappointed with the way theory11 had deceived me and all of it’s other customers.

Lastly, the grand daddy of false advertisement: TnR http://www.theory11.com/tricks/tnr.php What is wrong with this effect you ask? It’s COMPLETELY impractical. I could be showing this to a drunk 5 year old in a pitch black room and still get caught. Anyone who says TNR from T11 is practical is a liar and fanboy. Releasing material no one can use is not advancing the art which is supposedly Theory11’s goal. It hurts the art.

So what is my complete and honest point? I am absolutely tired of getting conned by theory11 (and other sites like them) to buy effects that are either falsely advertised and completely impractical, but are thought to be good because of their fancy trailers and video editing skills. This is why exposure is on the rise, no one can be trusted anymore. A one hit wonder such as TnR hits the market and everyone goes crazy because of how awesome it looks, but then are disappointed that they cant perform it.

Although theory11 has some good effects, I believe we have been lied to since the start. Example watch this video again http://whatistheory11.com/ and really listen to what Wayne and Dan White talk about in the beginning. Do all of you honestly think theory11 is what they say? Not me, I think it’s more about the sell than anything else at this point, and thats it. As Aaron Fisher said in that video, finding good information is like finding the needle in the haystack and we thought we could come to theory11 for good information. But it has taken a turn for the worse.

“We don’t wanna have pipe dreams on this site.” –Wayne Houchin

“I think the biggest thing that’s wrong with retail magic is its all about the sell. I feel there’s as much deception with the selling of these tricks as there is in the actual trick itself.” –Dan White

“Half of it’s the show… and the other half is business.” –Lee Asher

“The internet…. Everything is available, but the problem is, good information is like finding the needle in a haystack.” –Aaron Fisher

Final summation, please theory11 stop misleading us and treating us like numbers instead of people. If you really did mean what you said in that video then go back watch it again and revaluate your company. Because we were promised something new not the same old same old. And all we are getting is the same old same old. And I mean that with complete respect.

What say you?

-Michael

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
The only thing I would say is that I felt Pressure was advertised as if we were the spectator, if I were the spectator, and looking back I would have described it as they described it to us, but I do feel that you made some good points, although I feel as if that's how all magic sites are.

~Beans

Nov 10, 2007
The only thing I would say is that I felt Pressure was advertised as if we were the spectator, if I were the spectator, and looking back I would have described it as they described it to us, but I do feel that you made some good points, although I feel as if that's how all magic sites are.

~Beans

EXACTLY. fjeioqrw

May 3, 2008
I understand how you feel I guess because I've done that same thing before. Damn Revolution Coin Vanish. I still think the trick is great and that you should have maybe asked around on the forums to check if your version was right though. I always do that and I've saved a lot of money.

Michael...

You're just not getting it. What T11 advertised, is actually what they put out. I'm not one to blow smoke here, as I've often criticized people on the exact topic at hand...but here, there is no false advertising. The 'move' which you're referring to, is done very quickly and in the off-beat moment, after the trick is over (in the spectators mind).

Whether or not you feel you wasted $20 is not my problem...but for you to claim 'false advertising' and cry to the masses, that's just petty and immature. You know how much money I've wasted on magic? Hell, I don't even want to know...it's disgusting. Truth is, most of the stuff out there in the magic community is impractical and could be labeled as false advertising from a magicians point of view. T11 described the effect as a spectator would see it, and that's exactly what we got. I for one, feel like I spent my money wisely..this is one of the better purchases I've made from here thus far.

Best.
Steve

Dec 17, 2007
Canada
Michael...

You're just not getting it. What T11 advertised, is actually what they put out. I'm not one to blow smoke here, as I've often criticized people on the exact topic at hand...but here, there is no false advertising. The 'move' which you're referring to, is done very quickly and in the off-beat moment, after the trick is over (in the spectators mind).

Whether or not you feel you wasted $20 is not my problem...but for you to claim 'false advertising' and cry to the masses, that's just petty and immature. You know how much money I've wasted on magic? Hell, I don't even want to know...it's disgusting. Truth is, most of the stuff out there in the magic community is impractical and could be labeled as false advertising from a magicians point of view. T11 described the effect as a spectator would see it, and that's exactly what we got. I for one, feel like I spent my money wisely..this is one of the better purchases I've made from here thus far.

Best.
Steve

Steve looking at your post makes me laugh its only looks as if you didn't read the whole thing before commenting.

-Michael

Okay everything posted in this thread is useless whining.
This ties perfectly into my What happened thread?
Nothing IMO was falsely advertised it was fairly advertise IMO.

You can't buy a trick thinking that it will be godly perfect or without a little work.
Your complaints IMO come from laziness and not being motivated enough.
To say theory11 lied may be truth, but I have one thing to say to you.

Final summation, please theory11 stop misleading us and treating us like numbers instead of people. If you really did mean what you said in that video then go back watch it again and revaluate your company. Because we were promised something new not the same old same old. And all we are getting is the same old same old. And I mean that with complete respect.

This just sounds like Witching to me. substitute the w for a B

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGPKsInXpYk
this is a hard torn and restored

TNR
has a gimmick to make your life easier.
Why do people whine about hard but great magic?

Welcome to the real world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 17, 2007
Canada
Okay everything posted in this thread is useless whining.
This ties perfectly into my What happened thread?
Nothing IMO was falsely advertised it was fairly advertise IMO.

You can't buy a trick thinking that it will be godly perfect or without a little work.
Your complaints IMO come from laziness and not being motivated enough.
To say theory11 lied may be truth, but I have one thing to say to you.

This just sounds like Witching to me. substitute the w for a B

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGPKsInXpYk
this is a hard torn and restored

TNR
has a gimmick to make your life easier.
Why do people whine about hard but great magic?

Welcome to the real world.

Hey Mr. tambourine man play a song for me. You are going to tell me that you actually perform TnR? Because I find it hard to believe. I know pro magicians that hate it because it isn't practical.

And of course not every trick is perfect, just don't advertise it to be. Thats all I am saying.

-Michael

Dec 30, 2008
Hey Mr. tambourine man play a song for me. You are going to tell me that you actually perform TnR? Because I find it hard to believe. I know pro magicians that hate it because it isn't practical.

And of course not every trick is perfect, just don't advertise it to be. Thats all I am saying.

-Michael

The Byrds.......

I am pretty sure they will not advertise it to be if magicians didn't care so much about the small things.
No I do not perform TNR but that is beside the point, I do not own it but know what it is an how to make it.

What I am saying is that if you classify small details being left out, as false advertising in the magic world then, every trick out there would be considered as falsely advertised.

Dec 17, 2007
Canada
I am pretty sure they will not advertise it to be if magicians didn't care so much about the small things.
No I do not perform TNR but that is beside the point, I do not own it but know what it is an how to make it.

What I am saying is that if you classify small details being left out, as false advertising in the magic world then, every trick out there would be considered as falsely advertised.

Daniel Garcia saying "They can rip the balloon out themselves."

Is no small detail, that would be a completely different trick.

-Michael

Dec 17, 2007
Canada
Michael,

I wasn't responding to everything in the post, just your main point about false advertising. You've mentioned that here, and in many threads/reviews.

The effect is good I give you that. But what theory11 does on some of there effects is like me selling you a car for $25,000 that was fully loaded. But by fully loaded I meant engine wise and you wasted $25,000 on a car with no radio, seats, tires, and steering wheel.

-Michael

But they can, tear out the bill. I let the waitress last night do it with no problem in no way is saying
"they can rip the balloon out themselves" false advertising. Have you actually performed it for people other then yourself and in the real world yet? Everyone I have performed it for so far hasn't questioned the reason for making the hole in the balloon. I do not know maybe I am simple minded and do not know how to justify moves that I make. Sarcasm by the way.

Dec 17, 2007
Canada
But they can, tear out the bill. I let the waitress last night do it with no problem in no way is saying
"they can rip the balloon out themselves" false advertising. Have you actually performed it for people other then yourself and in the real world yet? Everyone I have performed it for so far hasn't questioned the reason for making the hole in the balloon. I do not know maybe I am simple minded and do not know how to justify moves that I make. Sarcasm by the way.

It doesn't matter what they see. I bought it only because they could tear it out themselves. If the spectator thinks you can actually levitate do you market it as you being able to actually levitate?

-Michael

But they can tear it out themselves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The fact you can't figure out how to convey to your audience that they are tearing their own phone out of the balloon tells me you need more practice with audience control.
I have had no problems with this effect.
your levitation reference is splitting hairs that is like trying to sell a water to wine trick, and advertising that you will become Jeasus with this effect.

Tarrantula stated in the hype that you can float a ring onto a spec. finger, they did not mention though you can't end there that there is a small clean up necessary to end the effect.

Dec 17, 2007
Canada
But they can tear it out themselves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The fact you can't figure out how to convey to your audience that they are tearing their own phone out of the balloon tells me you need more practice with audience control.
I have had no problems with this effect.
your levitation reference is splitting hairs that is like trying to sell a water to wine trick, and advertising that you will become Jeasus with this effect.

Tarrantula stated in the hype that you can float a ring onto a spec. finger, they did not mention though you can't end there that there is a small clean up necessary to end the effect.

If you could sell an effect on what a spectator might see than we would all be millionaires.

-Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results